PDA

View Full Version : Why are we fans of the G-Man?

Original-GB-Fanatic
01-15-2001, 03:56 PM
Okay! I'm curious to know why we all love Garth. Why has this man touched our lives and converted us to follow him so loyally?
<br>
<br>Well, my story goes like this:)
<br>
<br>It was February 1990, in the waning days of Desert Storm. I was 18 years old and I was stationed in Diego Garcia (A small little island in the Indian Ocean). I hated country music. In fact I mostly listened to rap music. LOL. Anyway, the Grammy's came on one evening and like a lot of folks I watched it. Well, it was during this show when Garth Brooks came on stage and performed "Friends In Low Places". I was so taken by this performance. It was awesome. He did a little skit with it and just completely blew me away. Not to mention I thought the song was so cool. Well, to say the least, I managed to buy a casette the next day of "No Fences". I must have to listened to FILP at least 50 times before I thought about listening to the rest of the tape. When I listened to it in whole, I once again was blown away. I loved every song on this tape. So I thought to myself about what his first tape is like. I couldn't believe I was purchasing country music...LOL. Of course I listened to the first tape and again I was completely taken in. Again, I loved every song on the tape. I was completely overtaken and immediately became a huge Garth fan forever. Ropin' The Wind was released soon after and again the same results with me. WOW!! I soon started listening to all sorts of country music and became a big fan of the music in general. But no person or music has ever touched me the way Garth touches me.
<br>
<br>Garth has always been so cool. It's his aw-shucks attitude when he talks. He's so genuine and true to his fans. He's so honest and sincere and cares so much about his work and the way it comes across to his fans. His music is always so "true" for a lack any better word. He knows how to write awesome lyrics as well as pick the right material to cover. I've never heard anyone translate their feelings into their music the way Garth does. It's no wonder everyone is so in tune with Garth. He's down to earth and humble. His respect for other singers and songwriters is overwhelming. Not to mention the man knows how to put on one heck of a show. WOW!!
<br>
<br>Well, I could sit here and type for hours...LOL
<br>
<br>I want to hear why you love the man the way I doN

garthsgirl
01-15-2001, 04:21 PM
That was a great story, OriginalGBFan. This is rather hard for me to explain. I'm 32 and loved country music as a kid. Up until I was about 12. Then got into mainstream music at the time. Mostly because none of my friends were into it. I heard a couple of songs off of the first GB album...and thought okay. There was a lot going on in my life at the time and the only thing that really touched me then was a song "If Tomorrow Never Comes". It came out a few months after my grandmothers passing. After that, it's been one heck of a ride I have yet to forget. When I talk about Garth, I get this way, nothing seems to make sense. I have NEVER been this way over someone I don't know. But then, I feel I do know him. Not in a personal way, but through his music. He shows himself. And certainly his love for his fans, compassion for humanity in general add to this. His sincerity, honesty, and love of family are things I also admire and respect about him. He's not perfect, I realize that. But he let's us see that side.
<br>
<br> Lisa N

Garthfan92
01-15-2001, 05:00 PM
I think we could all go on forever on this topic. I have my mom and our local country station to thank. My mom started listening to country 2-3 years before I did. My sister and I both hated it at the time, or thought we did anyway. Our local station used to do something called the featured album of the week. It could be an actual ablum they'd play, or a greatest hits they put together themselves. It was the 4th of July in '92 when they put together Garth's greatest hits as their album that week. We were on our way home from a fireworks show early, since it had started raining and they had to cancel. My mom put the country station on in the car and they said they were having Garth's 13 greatest hits coming up. Something just made me curious enough to listen, and that was it. I got his first 3 albums right after that, and went to my first show less than 2 months later. I never looked back! It got me hooked on country music and interested in finding out more about Garth. The more interviews and everything I see, the more respect and admiration I have for the man. I agree with Lisa that he's not perfect, and he lets us see that. That's where the real connection between Garth and his fans comes in. He's REAL to us. He's also a very sincere, kind, generous, wonderful person. Between that and the music, how could we not be fans?!
<br>
<br>LisaN

garthfamily
01-15-2001, 06:16 PM
I was in just getting out of Advanced Training with the Army when I heard Friends in Low Places. I went to a concert in Germany with my Fiancee' at the time husband now and on the bus ride down all of us were singing songs all the sudden someone started Filp and I remember everybody singing along and being happy, this was during Desert Shield so seeing soldiers happy was a rare thing to see. Then I still wasnt into Garth until I got sick in 99 and Garth's songs kept me from being bored to tears and helped me cope now I'm better and still love Garth for the honesty the humaness etc. for being himself.
<br>
<br>Sharon N

beebaboos
01-15-2001, 07:45 PM
Well my story is kinda long and wierd but..here we go...when I was 10 years old we were poor, really poor but we had a radio and a song called "Much to young...to feel this damn old" came on the radio. I loved it instantly because, I could say a curse word...damn...lol (ok I told you it was a wierd story)so I became a follower, and Garth Became my first crush. :) Then on my llth birthday a got a wonderful surprise, my mom had saved up and bought me no fences and fixed up a walkman for me. It was the first tape I ever got. I wrote Sandy a letter sending my prayers when she was having all the problems with her pregnancy. Sandy did something still amazes me to this day, with a 6 week old baby, she took time to wright me back, it really changed my life. It is not only Garth that I love, Its Sandy too. In fact, I had never herd of college untill his first CBS special and he said he graduated OSU (guess where I'll be attending this fall...lol) and he said Sandy did too. Thats when I knew that I could and would go to college. If it wasn't for them...I don't know where I would be. Sorry the events wern't in order its hard to remember, I was so young.
<br>~~JanetN

fuzzwuzz
01-15-2001, 08:38 PM
Cute story Janet! I loved it!
<br>
<br> This may sound weird, but Chris Gaines was more REAL to me than Garth. Chris roped me the day his Greatest Hits CD came out. But it was Garth who invited me the next evening out on that little ride with him.(The Chris Gaines NBC Special). I said "Yeah! Let's go!" But I kept thinking who's this guy in the hat? I LOVED the guy WITHOUT the hat, singing Chris' songs. He was cool! It took some doing, but Chris won me over to Garth little by little. Actually, it was more like a crash course. And guess what? School's still in session! And Garth is driving me crazy!!;) And I'll tell ya what. I think that Gaines guy has got some goods on Garth. I'm not convinced otherwise, not yet...;)
<br> N

Vanessa
01-16-2001, 07:57 AM
Why has this man touched our lives and converted us to follow him so loyally?
<br>
<br>Aww man,hard question!! :) :) Let's see.. why am I so loyal to Garth.. cause he's the first guy who I've ever really "connected" with even though I've never met 'im. :) It all started about 5 years ago, I think the first cd I bought was The Hits. I heard and was hooked!! :) There was no turning back now! :) :) That was back when I was 11, I'm now 16 and it's been one helluva ride!! Thanks so much Garth!!! :) :) We all love you!!! :) :)N

Acorn
01-16-2001, 08:23 AM
Wellll....I didn't really start listenin to country til I started likin' Shania, but then I got into it. I had never heard any of Garth's stuff before, but my friend Angie *loves* him, so I thought I'd listen to his stuff sometime, and I loved it! =) So that's basically it. I think he has wonderful talent, and he's a great person. =)
<br>
<br>NikiN

ann middleton
01-16-2001, 10:29 AM
well mystory goes like this we had cmtv at the time and i was flicking the channels and came to cmtv and there was a man standing in a ring of fire singing at the time i thought hes good then about a year later i came across a cd, the hits i listened and was hooked it went from there my hubbie bought me sevens and well
<br>i ended up here.
<br>
<br>No other singer has touched me the way garth has his songs have meaning and the way he sings i couldnt be without him
<br>
<br>
<br>Ann N

JoAnn L.
01-16-2001, 10:49 AM
Garth Fanatic said it best:
<br>
<br>(I've never heard anyone translate their feelings into their music the way Garth does. )
<br>
<br>A letter I wrote best describes why for me.
<br>
<br>My Dearest Garth, 1/7/2000

Original-GB-Fanatic
01-16-2001, 11:45 AM
WOW! That was an incredible letter JoAnn. WOW!N

writegerl
01-16-2001, 11:57 AM
It all started with a little ole album called Fresh Horses. From there the plot thickens, but I am waaaaaaaaay to brain dead to post now.
<br>
<br>Maybe in a week or so I'll have my senses back.
<br>
<br>:)
<br>CrystalN

Pilgrim
01-16-2001, 01:47 PM
Bruce Springsteen made me a Garth fan back in 1992;)
<br>
<br>BrianN

fuzzwuzz
01-16-2001, 05:23 PM
JoAnn, thanks for sharing those beautiful thoughts about Garth's passionate love for us and his family. Isn't it neat how with Garth's music we get the Man himself too, the way he makes us feel his love in the giving of himself through it?
<br>
<br> And Lisa, I liked what you said about Garth being so REAL to us. From what I read, it's what he wants us to know too, that he's real. And that there's some of 'me' in 'him'. I'll have to find the exact quote.
<br>
<br> Got it!
What do I want people to remember me by?
<br>To say the man was real, there was some of me in him
<br>if that makes any sense.
<br>N

jstensig
01-17-2001, 06:05 AM
Brian - how did Bruce Springsteen make you a GB fan? Just curious.
<br>
<br>JakobN

Pilgrim
01-17-2001, 03:00 PM
That's an easy one Jakob:)
<br>
<br>You see I was on a fleemarket in 1992, and saw this cover with a cowboy in a blue and black shirt:)
<br>I don't know why I picked it up, but when I flipped it around I saw there was a song called "The River";)
<br>I, novice as I was, thought it was a remanke of the all time best song EVER!! Bruce Springsteen's "The River". So I bought the album:eek:
<br>
<br>Needloess to say I was majorly disappointed, and didn't listen to it for 6 months or so:eek:
<br>
<br>Then of course Garth got me into Chris LeDoux;);)
<br>
<br>that was the short version *LOL*
<br>
<br>Brian:)N

fuzzwuzz
01-17-2001, 07:42 PM
Brian, I love that! How the Boss roped you in for Garth through The River! That's cool! But tell us, what made you change your mind after 6 months? The long version please, if you don't mind?N

garthfamily
01-17-2001, 07:50 PM
I've noticed watching Garth on tv and listening to the CD's its almost like Garth is doing a personal concert just for you. He makes me feel like the most important person in the world.
<br>
<br>N

Original-GB-Fanatic
01-19-2001, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who have shared your expeirences with me.
<br>
<br>I'd like to hear from more of you though!
<br>
<br>Keep them coming!N

Tracey
01-21-2001, 10:30 AM
My story begins about 2 or 3 yrs ago when I met a women called Ann middleton who has become a very good friend.
<br>
<br>Well every time I went round to her house she had the same songs on and she was always talking about a man called Garth. Well as time went on I started to enjoy the songs I was hearing and asked more and more questions, then when Ann got a computer she kept telling me about PG and about all the people she had met and how good it was. Then at the begining of this year I borrowed all the CD's she had of Garth and for the first time I listened to the songs and I understood why she was such a fan. Some of the songs gave me gooosebumps because of the words and some made me smile and since then I haven't stopped playing them. Its just a shame it took me so long to realise how good he is.
<br>
<br>Tracey<P>(This message has been edited by Tracey)N

gbkubfan
01-21-2001, 11:50 AM
Hey....I first found Garth in 1989. I had heard MUch Too Young and really related to the song. I was starting to listen to country again after a short sabbatical because my friends were goat ropers. I had gotton a gift certificate for Tower and went to the store to redeem it. I was going to buy Clint Black because he seemed to be the more popular guy but I saw Garth's cd next to his in the display rack This was back when cds came in the long boxes. I stood there going Clint or Garth, Clint or Garth. I decided I liked MTY the best and bought that CD. The best purchase I made. I eventually got Clints cd and its somewhere in my stack of CDs but I have gone through so many Garth CDs since. (350) at last count. I don't think I even have the original copy, I think I do, but I was so hooked on Garth's music I have continually given away my copies to hook people into Garth. I got to see him perform as the middle act between the Judds and Pirates of the Mississippi and was fanatical after that. I was so wiped out by his performance that I didn't even want to stay for the Judds farewell show. I told my date lets just wave goodbye and head home. I have seen him in concert 7 times now, saw him at Leno three times and once at Hollywood Squares. I also have tons of memories like the time we all stopped packing and moving my friend Ray becauise Garth's first special came on TV. I stopped, then another and another till we were all sitting, transfixed by Garth on TV. I have also met some cool and wonderful people through PG and AOL Garth Board. So I have been attached to his music, became a fan of the man and after finally get a face-to-face with him at Hollywood Squares, I don't think he will ever quit being my favorite singer. I have gone through different singers. The 70's was Bruce Springsteen, the 80's Madonna but since then its Garth. I still love Bruce and Madonna and U2 (April 23 at the Pond) but Garth will forever be The Man.N

littlebit
01-21-2001, 03:12 PM
Brian,
<br>
<br>Could you tell me if Bruce has his version of the River on a cd? i would love to hear it! :)
<br>
<br>JoAnn,
<br>
<br>Wow! What a letter! That was beautiful! Very eloquent!
<br>And so true! :)
<br>
<br>i grew up with country and bluegrass. i always hated country (except for Hank Williams SR.) i wouldn't admit i loved bluegrass to anyone. i loved the Beatles and rock and roll.
<br>
<br>When Sean was born, we had CMT on our cable. My first video i saw of Garth was the Thunder Rolls. Becos Sean had colic we literally would dance Sean to sleep with CMT. Unfortunetly circumstances as they where, i didn't "get it" until we got the McDonald cd.
<br>
<br>Then i saw them in concert. Some of you know the rest. i won't go into it here. But Sean wouldn't have a mom if it hadn't been for that concert.
<br>
<br>He's honest, sincere, compassionate, a little crazy :), talented and when he could have hid from the world he stood tall and showed us how human we all are. And he did it with such grace and style. :)
<br>
<br>And he will always be my and Sean's hero.
<br>
<br>deAnnalynn N

AZamy77
01-21-2001, 11:59 PM
Wow......*shaking head and wiping the tears*
<br>
<br>You all have kept me up into the wee hours(only 2:15 a.m.... but well worth it)reading the most heart felt emotions I've ever read. The sweetest people I'd ever want to know. Wow. Everyone's stories have shown me how much of ourselves that we see in Garth. A quote from garthsgirl, Lisa, hit me hard:
<br>
<br>> I have NEVER been this way over someone I don't know. But then, I feel I do know him. Not in a personal way, but through his music. He shows himself. And certainly his love for his fans, compassion for humanity in general add to this. His sincerity, honesty, and love of family are things I also admire and respect about him. He's not perfect, I realize that. But he let's us see that side.
<br>
<br>I see how I was truly blessed to have been able to not only meet Garth, but get to spend a lot of time around him during ST in '99 with the San Diego Padres. The angel's in the outfield! Yes, he was. :) Darned good outfielder!
<br>
<br>I worked in the cafeteria where he ate. I cried at the sight of him for the first 2 days, which he got a kick out of I think! :P And....he was deeply touched. He let me know it by what he signed on a CD for me the 2nd day. I cried my eyes out and let him know how special his music had been in my life the day before - the first day when I met him.
<br>
<br>I lost my father in '88 and my mother in '91. It started with "Much Too Young", in '89, as I related to this after my dad passed away. Then "The Dance" *sigh* Well, I was moved by his words and emotions from then on. The rest is history.
<br>
<br>I'd never listened to country before Garth, and only owned a Reba CD. I'm 37. I grew up in oHIo, and it was mostly Rock-N-Roll where I lived, but I did like the same bands that Garth did, e.g. KISS, Journey,Queen, James Taylor,.... I listened to all kinds, but NEVER country! :eek: Thanks to Garth, I've found a lot of other country singers I like. But none like Garth. :P
<br>
<br>I am thankful that I got to tell Garth that we need him. This world needs him. I went as far as telling him I wish he could be president. :P I just wouldn't shut up! LOL! What a great impression he made on me when I told him, "Garth you are such a great role model. This world needs a role model like you. Our children need a role model to look up to." He said, knowing I had children at this time, "No, Amy, YOU are their greatest role model." He is SO right! And I told him he was right... in awe of his response. But I also told him he's still our HERO! :)
<br>
<br>I hope I did you all proud. I was speaking for all of you, even though I didn't know you yet. I came to PG in Aug of '99. Too bad I wasn't here during ST! :) But I have to thank a sweet gal Tara, who I met at ST.....because she wanted to see my Garth pictures I was showing someone! I hope you're reading this Tara! :P She was decked out in Garth clothes - coat, hat, t-shirt - lol- and she was real sweet asking if she could please see my pictures. She hadn't seen him yet, as she'd just gotten there from San Diego. She told me about PG. Thanks Tara! :) I finally contacted her in Aug 99, as we had exchanged phone #'s, and asked her, "What's that website again?" :) Well, here I am!
<br>
<br>I have a story in the Garth moments section. But I have to say right here, right now, that I have never been more proud to be associated with the sweetest people in the world right here at PG.... and all because we relate to Garth in our own personal way. I, too, came to relate to Garth's music because it hit home. It was REAL. And I needed the messages in the songs like a flower needs water. And I still do. :)
<br>
<br>I have the utmost respect for Garth. And I feel the same way about each and every one of you. My heart goes out to each and every one of you. And also to those only reading, and not posting. :P I see you! LOL!
<br>*Heart Pats*
<br>
<br>God Bless You All. God Bless Garth Brooks!
<br>
<br>Amy :)
<br>
<br><P>(This message has been edited by AZamy77)N

minnesotagbfan
01-22-2001, 12:13 AM
Amy,
<br>
<br>ok you got a tear in my eye AGAIN ..LOL..
<br>
<br>my story is in the garth moments section...
<br>
<br>would require alot of typing... since i dont know how to do it in pg...
<br>
<br>can someone post just my thread from in there in here????N

Chris Gaines
01-22-2001, 12:17 AM
Russ' story.... since he begged ;)
<br><hr>
<br>ok.. before i begin.. i just wanna say that i might need a tissue or two during all of this typing.... and some hugs might help...
<br>
<br>
<br>ok...umm..it all started way back on december 15th 1992.. it was my 22nd birthday...and my wifes grandmother had finally lost her battle with cancer...:(
<br>
<br>i couldnt eat.. couldnt sleep... and at this time mine and my wifes marriage was great and there werent hardly any problems..except the one person who held everyone and everything together was gone.. so it was like... now what is gonna happen...so as time went on.. i ended up working every weekend.. and wasnt able to spend time where i needed to or wanted to be...so my wife would just go to friends houses so she didnt have to be alone
<br>
<br>and we ended up getting to the point where we didnt seem to care...and we both knew something had to give but didnt say it to each other..so finally after about a year or so of not caring...we had tickets to go see the 1994 winter olypmic figure skaters...and the night before got into this huge blowup argument about what was going on...and nothing was agreed upon so we went to bed..and we went to the skating show the next day..
<br>and we sat in the parking lot and said that something had to happen or we wouldnt be staying together...we both agreed something had to happen.. and then the next thing that happened WAS ABSOLUTELY A MIRACLE FROM GOD...
<br>
<br>we were at a freinds house and i could hear "friends in low places" in the background and was knowledgable enough to know that it was that garth brooks guy... and then.. the cd starting skipping so the friend put another cd in.. and there were a couple of songs that i didnt care for...and then...this song came out from the speakers and IT HIT LIKE A TON OF BRICKS.. we both looked at each other and didnt say a word..we bot h just knew that was exactly what we needed... there werent any i love you's being said....so we proceeded to start to listen to country radio and tried to hear garth... but there was alot of stuff on there i didnt care for...so we decided to buy garths cds ...and ended getting all of the released ones at that point...lol.. and listened to them over and over and heard such songs as if tomorrow never comes...unanswered prayers...every now and then...everytime that it rains.. learning to live again.. somewhere other than the night..burning bridges .. the river ...and on and on.. the fast songs didnt seem to matter.. these songs were saying alot of how i felt..and so his music was saying alot of what i was feeling...and then i heard the no touring thing til 96..so had to wait....so here it was march 13th 1996 and the tour had started and at the end of march i looked in the want ads for tickets for things as it was somethign i had always done.. and there it was....2 tickets for opening night in milwaukee...so i called..120 for 2 tickets.. um.. heck yeah !!!!so anyway the tickets came and it was april 11th 1996..and we went to arena .. and waited... so we bought some souvenirs while we were waiting and i recall apending about 275 bucks.. lol.. one problem.. no bags..
<br>so someone had one on purse and gave it to us and i felt like santa walking around with this bag..so finally the show started and i dont remember much expect him coming out of the piano... him singing the change.. and the rest of the time my head was in my lap... HE IS REAL ...LOL.. THE GUY WHOS MUSIC SAVED MINE AND MY WIFES MARRIAGE WAS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARENA...i wont forget that day even though i dont remember much about it...
<br>
<br>in closing i will say that i am so glad that i found garths music....it says alot of how i am feeling...i wasnt really ever gonna post why i got into garth but the timing seems right...
<br>
<br>
<br>one last thing ...
<br>
<br>
<br>AN OPEN MESSAGE TO GARTH :
<br>
<br>GARTH,
<br>
<br>I DONT KNOW HOW TO EXACTLY SAY THIS SO I WILL JUST SAY IT..
<br>
<br>MAYBE THINGS ARENT GOING THAT GREAT BETWEEN YOU AND SANDY RIGHT NOW... BUT I THINK THAT IF YOU TWO SAT DOWN AND LISTENED TO YOUR SONGS .. MAYBE... JUST MAYBE...THAT THING THAT I SAW BETWEEN YOU TWO ON TV DURING THE "IRELAND AND BACK" CAN COME BACK TO YOU GUYS AGAIN...FORGET ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD .. JUST FOCUS ON THE 5 OF YOU....
<br>
<br>AS A NON GARTH FAN ALWAYS TELLS ME
<br>
<br>DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO....
<br>
<br>YEAH .. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO SEE YOU LIVE IN CONCERT....BUT I THINK THAT I CAN SAY THIS ON BEHALF OF ALL THE PG'ERS...WE JUST WANT YOU TO BE HAPPY....
<br>
<br>OK I AM DONE BABBLING ....
<br>
<br>Russ
<br><hr>
<br>
<br>There ya go Russ.. you owe me one ;)
<br>JasonN

Lilly_ok
01-22-2001, 05:09 AM
One reason I'm a GB fan is because when I was 12yrs old, six years ago, my cousin was sick with an illness. She was in and out of the hospital all her life. She entered the make a wish foundation in Dec. seven years ago. The next summer her wish came true. Her wish was to see a Garth concert and to meet him. There was a story about them in the local papers. Her only dream in the whole entire world was to meet her idol. She was everything a true GB fan was. After the concert and meeting him she grew really sick and was put in the hospital. I went to see her everyday, bringing her favorite CD's of the G-man. I played them for her until she went to sleep everynight. About two weeks after the concert she grew worse and slipped away in her sleep.
<br>
<br>After that I really turned to his music and have been a die hard fan ever since. :'PN

minnesotagbfan
01-22-2001, 05:22 AM
yeah yeah yeah jason... just remind me :rolleyes:
<br>
<br>btw ..thanks SIR !!!!!!!
<br>
<br>LMAO !!!!!!
<br>
<br>RussN

Pilgrim
01-22-2001, 01:24 PM
deAnnalynn:)
<br>
<br>You can find "The River" with Bruce on the album with the same name:) It's from 1980:)
<br>
<br>
THE RIVER
<br>
<br>I come from down in the valley
<br>Where mister, when you're young
<br>They bring you up to do like your daddy done
<br>Me and Mary we met in high school
<br>When she was just seventeen
<br>We'd drive out of this valley down to where the fields were green
<br>
<br>We'd go down to the river
<br>And into the river we'd dive
<br>Oh down to the river we'd ride
<br>
<br>Then I got Mary pregnant
<br>And, man, that was all she wrote
<br>And for my 19th birthday I got a union card and a wedding coat
<br>We went down to the courthouse
<br>
<br>And the judge put it all to rest
<br>No wedding day smiles, no walk down the aisle
<br>No flowers, no wedding dress
<br>
<br>That night we went down to the river
<br>And into the river we'd dive
<br>Oh down to the river we did ride
<br>
<br>I got a job working construction for the Johnstown Company
<br>But lately there ain't been much work on account of the economy
<br>Now all them things that seemed so important
<br>Well mister they vanished right into the air
<br>Now I just act like I don't remember
<br>Mary acts like she don't care
<br>
<br>
<br>But I remember us riding in my brother's car
<br>Her body tan and wet down at the reservoir
<br>At night on them banks I'd lie awake
<br>And pull her close just to feel each breath she'd take
<br>Now those memories come back to haunt me
<br>They haunt me like a curse
<br>Is a dream a lie if it don't come true
<br>Or is it something worse,
<br>that sends me
<br>Down to the river
<br>though I know the river is dry
<br>That sends me down to the river tonight
<br>Down to the river
<br>My baby and I
<br>Oh down to the river we ride
<br>
<br>The song is for some weird reason inspired by Hank Williams's "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It" and is basically about the crash of the construction industry in New Jersey in the late 70's and the hard times his sister faced after that.
<br>
<br>BrianN

fuzzwuzz
01-22-2001, 04:36 PM
Brian, thanks for sharing that.
<br> But you still haven't told us what changed your mind about Garth after 6 months? Just wondering...N

Lowland_Kid
01-23-2001, 02:45 AM
I first heard Garth Brooks FILP when I was on holiday in the USA, 1993. It was a group holiday, with young people from all over the world and FILP was our "Trek-song". So we sung it every day in the van.
<br>When I returned home, the first thing I did was getting all the Garth music I could find. First on tape (copies, I have to admit) and soon I bought the CD's. Shortly after my holiday I saw that Garth would be performing in April 1994. I dragged a friend with me and we had the time of our lives! Once you've seen Garth in concert, you're just hooked. I still am. :)
<br>His music, his voice touch me more than any other singer. And since I got to PG, I have found out that he is a wonderful person too! (Never read or heard a lot about him - poor deprived Europeans, we are!)
<br>
<br>Brian,
<br>Great story!
<br>I love "The River" from Bruce even more than "The River" from Garth. You can hear the pain in his voice and it is just so dramatic. I love it!
<br>
<br>MarjolijnN

Pilgrim
01-23-2001, 03:01 AM
Ooops sorry Dale:eek: I missed that:( I will be back later:)
<br>
<br>
<br>Marjolijn:)
<br>Very cool:):) I like reading that:) There is no doubt what so ever that bruce is a MUCH better song writer than Garth:)
<br>He usually hit the nail on the head:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

honky
01-23-2001, 10:49 AM
<br>Well.. it's been 2 years and half and I never regret anything :)
<br>
<br>I got to go one of the coolest concerts at Washington D.C. (the Equality Rocks) and one of the best shows at Seattle :)
<br>
<br>I got to know many of you and became FRIENDS IN NET PLACES :P (I invented that!!)
<br>
<br>
<br>Garth is very cool and I respect him very much :)
<br>
<br>
<br>Tommy
<br>N

angelamccann
01-23-2001, 11:42 AM
I didn't mean to do it - it was an accident, really...
<br>
<br>I never ever meant to become a Garth fan, but one CD led to another, and 'just one more'.
<br>
<br>That's the very very short version anyway - it started with one showing on UK TV of the Lost In You video, and things sort of snowballed from there. I was captivated and I remain a happy captive :) I did post the full(ish) story on PG months back, so if I ever dig it up I'll put it up here too.
<br>
<br>Angela xN

Pilgrim
01-23-2001, 02:12 PM
Dale:)
<br>
<br>I got the album and was immensely disappointed when i heard it the first time. I didn't know what to do and even thought about using it as a flyng saucer;)
<br>I didn't do it thought and put it aside for 6 months.
<br>
<br>Then one day I wanted to listen to it for some reason, because I knew who Garth was even back from 1990, I was just more in to Clint Black instead:eek: I thought Garth was kinda boring:eek:
<br>
<br>Anyway I gave it a try and has been hooked ever since:)
<br>I also bought the "Convoy" soundtrack and a Johnny Cash album the same day:) I have only heard the Johnny Cash album around 5-10 times since:eek:
<br>
<br>Garth is still my all time favorite country artist:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

fuzzwuzz
01-23-2001, 06:58 PM
I'm so glad you gave Garth another chance Brian. Fate maybe? But if you hadn't and Garth had never done the Chris Gaines project, you and I would never have met, let alone been friends. So thanks, for giving Garth another chance. And I thank Chris Gaines too, for helping me see the Garth behind him. :)
<br> Hey I just realized what Garth CD I've been playing all night! You guessed it! "Ropin' The Wind"!...N

Lowland_Kid
01-23-2001, 11:51 PM
Hey Brian,
<br>
<br>I wouldn't go as far as calling Bruce a better song writer than Garth! But that is mainly because I don't know enough Bruce songs to make my mind up about this. I am going to order myself a Bruce CD now (probably a Greatest Hits, if available) and will come back to you on this. :)
<br>
<br>MarjolijnN

Lilly_ok
01-24-2001, 03:42 AM
EVERYONE!!!!
<br>I will have to look into the song that Bruce put out. I did not know he also had a song called "The River" and reading all the comments about it that ya'll put up I'll have to look for it. I really like reading everyone's stories. Sometimes I wonder if he knows how important his is in every one of our lives. I'll take my cowboy hat off to him anyday.
<br>
<br>Lilly_ok
<br>
<br>Have a happy filled day.!!!!N

Pilgrim
01-24-2001, 03:22 PM
Very cool Dale:):) Thanks back to you:):)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Marjolijn:)
<br>
<br>He IS a better song writer than Garth and you will realize that when you buy his "Greatest Hits":)
<br>Of course you should also buy "The Ghost Of Tom Joad" and you will definitely know why he is better:) EVERY single place he mention on that CD (and that is A LOT) is non-fictive. The CD is very very quiet and dark:)
<br>
<br>
<br>BTW. Hee also have a song called "The Fever" which he wrote in the early 70's:)
<br>
<br>Anyway, the track list for "Greatest Hits" is
<br>
<br>1. Born To Run
<br>2. Thunder Road
<br>3. Badlands
<br>4. The River
<br>5. Hungry Heart
<br>6. Atlantic City
<br>7. Dancing In The Dark
<br>8. Born In The U.S.A.
<br>9. My Hometown
<br>10. Glory Days
<br>11. Brilliant Disguise
<br>12. Human Touch
<br>13. Better Days
<br>14. Streets Of Philadelphia
<br>15. Secret Garden
<br>16. Murder Incorporated
<br>17. Blood Brothers
<br>18. This Hard Land
<br>
<br>
<br>Lilly_ok:)
<br>
<br>Welcome to PG :) Enjoy your stay, I am sure you will like it here:)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Okay I will post some more lyrics;) I am shameless:P
<br>
<br>
Youngstown
<br>
<br>Here in northeast Ohio
<br>Back in eighteen-o-three
<br>James and Dan Heaton
<br>Found the ore that was linin' yellow creek
<br>They built a blast furnace
<br>Here along the shore
<br>And they made the cannonballs
<br>That helped the union win the war
<br>
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>Sweet Jenny I'm sinkin' down
<br>Here darlin' in Youngstown
<br>
<br>Well my daddy worked the furnaces
<br>Kept 'em hotter then hell
<br>I come home from 'Nam worked my way to scarfer
<br>A job that'd suit the devil as well
<br>
<br>Taconite coke and limestone
<br>Fed my children and made my pay
<br>Then smokestacks reachin' like the arms of god
<br>Into a beautiful sky of soot and clay
<br>
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>My sweet Jenny I'm sinkin' down
<br>
<br>Well my daddy come on the 0hio works
<br>When he come home from world war two
<br>Now the yards just scrap and rubble
<br>He said, "Them big boys did what Hitler couldn't do"
<br>These mills they built the tanks and bombs
<br>That won this countries wars
<br>
<br>We sent our sons to Korea and Vietnam
<br>Now were wondering what they were dyin' for
<br>
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>Here in Youngstown
<br>My sweet Jenny, I'm sinkin' down
<br>
<br>From the Monongahela valley
<br>To the Mesabi iron range
<br>To the coal mines of Appalachia
<br>The story's always the same
<br>Seven-hundred tons of metal a day
<br>Now sir you tell me the world's changed
<br>Once I made you rich enough
<br>Rich enough to forget my name
<br>
<br>And Youngstown
<br>And Youngstown
<br>
<br>My sweet Jenny I'm sinkin' down
<br>
<br>When I die I don't want no part of heaven
<br>I would not do heaven's work well
<br>I pray the devil comes and takes me
<br>To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell
<br>
<br>Anyone remember the Charles Starkweather killingspree in the 50's??;)
<br>
Nebraska
<br>
<br>I saw her standin' on her front lawn just twirlin' her baton
<br> Me and her went for a ride sir and ten innocent people died
<br>
<br> From the town of Lincoln Nebraska with a sawed-off .410 on my lap
<br> Through to the badlands of Wyoming I killed everything in my path
<br>
<br> I can't say that I'm sorry for the things that we done
<br> At least for a little while sir me and her we had us some fun
<br>
<br> The jury brought in a guilty verdict and the judge he sentenced me to death
<br>
<br> Midnight in a prison storeroom with leather straps across my chest
<br>
<br> Sheriff when the man pulls that switch sir and snaps my poor neck back
<br> You make sure my pretty baby is sittin' right there on my lap
<br>
<br> They declared me unfit to live said into that great void my soul'd be hurled
<br> They wanted to know why I did what I did
<br> Well sir I guess there's just a meanness in this world
<br>
<br>
<br>
My Hometown
<br>
<br>I was eight years old and running with a dime in my hand
<br> Into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man
<br> I'd sit on his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town
<br> He'd tousle my hair and say son take a good look around
<br> This is your hometown, this is your hometown
<br> This is your hometown, this is your hometown
<br>
<br> In `65 tension was running high at my high school
<br> There was a lot of fights between the black and white
<br> There was nothing you could do
<br>
<br> Two cars at a light on a Saturday night in the back seat there was a gun
<br> Words were passed in a shotgun blast
<br> Troubled times had come to my hometown
<br> My hometown, my hometown, my hometown
<br>
<br> Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores
<br> Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more
<br> They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks
<br> Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to
<br> Your hometown, your hometown, your hometown, your hometown
<br>
<br> Last night me and Kate we laid in bed talking about getting out
<br> Packing up our bags maybe heading south
<br> I'm thirty-five we got a boy of our own now
<br> Last night I sat him up behind the wheel and said son take a good look around
<br> This is your hometown
<br>
<br>Brian;)N

fuzzwuzz
01-24-2001, 04:17 PM
Brian, thanks for sharing that! Now I'm really itching to get my new DVD player hooked up so I can play Bruce's new DVD's. Only, I haven't gotten them yet. What am I waiting for? The sky to fall?! Lol!N

Original-GB-Fanatic
01-24-2001, 05:35 PM
Alright. Now I have to respond to my own thread. It seems this thread is becoming a pro-Springsteen thread.
<br>
<br>No intentional disrespect to you Brian. Bruce is a good song writer and I am a fan of his myself, but Garth he is not. Garth is a better song writer and a much much better singer and entertainer than Bruce is.
<br>
<br>I hope none of you are buying into what Brian is preaching here. LOL. Garth and only Garth is the man.
<br>
<br>Again, I'm not trying to disrespect you, Brian, and you are entitled to your own opinion.N

fuzzwuzz
01-24-2001, 07:47 PM
Hey! What gives here? Da Boss can't have his day too? After all, Chris Gaines likes Bruce. And you know what? Brian is a GOOD preacher, right Pilgrim?;) Many are digging him too now because of Brian.
<br>
<br> But it's unanomous that we ALL love Garth I think.:) N

Pilgrim
01-25-2001, 02:24 AM
Thank you Dale;) Hmmm a good preacher:eek: I haven't gotten the DVD's either:(
<br>
<br>
<br>Original-GB-Fanatic:)
<br>You are right Bruce is not Garth;) Bruce is A LOT better:):)
<br>
<br>Hey Garth couldn't even write "It's Your Song" and he dare to call it a song for his mother?? and you call that a better song writer than Bruce??;)
<br>Bruce is IMO also a better ewntertainer as he never had to use fancy stuff to get the crowd going like garth has done:) bruce can do it with just his music:)
<br>Garth is the better singer, I admit that:)
<br>
<br>
I hope none of you are buying into what Brian is preaching here. LOL. Garth and only Garth is the man.
<br>You must walk in small shoes if this irritates you;) Funny how some Garth fans seem to complain about a little pro-bruce.
<br>When I promote Garth on bruce boards they are all interested and excited because they are both very much alike in their views on humanity.:):)
<br>
<br>If people want to read this, let them. otherwise I am sure they just skip my posts and go to the next reply:)
<br>
<br>I wish Garth would be a man like bruce and not a mice, and then speek more upo about what he believe in.
<br>make political statements and give statements on things that concern minorities:)
<br>
<br>Brian
<br>N

minnesotagbfan
01-25-2001, 03:12 AM
hi :)
<br>
<br>i would like to know where it says that bruce cannot be mentioned in here ????
<br>
<br>do you know how many threads i have done that have nothing to do with original subject???
<br>
<br>for example....
<br>
<br>i once did a thread that had to do with something and it ended up being about who had a nicer butt..
<br>
<br>IT IS GONNA HAPPEN
<br>
<br>THREADS CHANGE ALL THE TIME :)
<br>
<br>HAVE A NICE DAY :)
<br>
<br>RussN

minnesotagbfan
01-25-2001, 03:14 AM
oh and btw.... brian did get into garth via bruce and the whole "river " mixup he had :)N

Lowland_Kid
01-25-2001, 07:26 AM
Well said Brian and Russ.
<br>
<br>Thanks for the lyrics, Brian. I have ordered the Greatest Hits of Bruce. After listening to that I will decide on what to do about "The Ghost of Tom Joad". :)
<br>
<br>MarjolijnN

Pilgrim
01-25-2001, 01:53 PM
Thank you Russ:):)
<br>
<br>And thanks Marjolijn:) I hope it isn't a major turn-off on you:) *LOL*
<br>It IS rock after all, but played with lots of different instruments and feeling:)
<br>
<br>No wonder why I love both Bruce and Garth and think they are the two best out there:)
<br>

angelamccann
01-26-2001, 10:39 AM
Bruce is an amazing and intelligent songwriter - Streets of Philadelphia is one of very few songs that can make me cry.
<br>
<br>I happen to prefer Garth's songwriting, and also admire his selection of work by other writers (how much The Dance says - and how spare the language it uses - so it can mean so much to so many) - to me it doesn't matter that he doesn't write all his own material, it's how he represents the material so perfectly.
<br>
<br>And there's no contest - Garth's butt wins over Bruce's any day.
<br>
<br>(well, if you *will* mention it, Russ...:))
<br>
<br>Angela xN

Yukongirls
01-26-2001, 07:21 PM
We don't appreciate you (Brian) saying Garth is a mouse and that he is not a good songwriter. We come into this site because it is a Garth Brooks site and I don't want to hear dissing the man in here! We all no he is a great songwriter and he is involved in all kinds of charities. Have you ever heard WE SHALL BE FREE and Garth does stand up for the things he believes in. I'm starting to wonder if you know anything about garth!
<br>
<br>LEANNE & MICHELLEN

Yukongirls
01-26-2001, 07:56 PM
BTW....
<br>Brian we are not trying to fight with you but you hurt us by saying those cruel things about Garth.N

Pilgrim
01-27-2001, 02:24 AM
Who is "I'm"??? Leanna or Michelle??;);)
<br>
<br>I can dish Garth ANYTIME I please:) I have the right to speak say what I feel:) Just like you guys:)
<br>
<br>I know he has been involved in many kinds of charities, but he rarely speak his mind on big issues. Bruce does:)
<br>
<br>I also know "We Shall Be Free", and it is the BEST song HE has written. The rest of his songs is IMHO just plain normal lyrics you get atleast as good anywhere else.
<br>Problem is that no one outside country music seems to know that song AT ALL!!:eek:
<br>
<br>BrianN

jstensig
01-27-2001, 04:44 AM
Think if all here agreed on everything Garth. That would be kinda boring.
<br>
<br>I see it a great thing, that Brian tells us, that in his opinion Bruce has better lyrics. It doesn't make Garths music any worse. Instead it opens our eyes to others music - in this case Bruce's. I don't know Bruce's music very well I must admit, but I think I'll give it a try, within the next few months. My mother who is an English teacher is also fond of Bruce's lyrics. She uses them in class - luckily I've also made her a Garth fan, so now she uses his songs also.
<br>
<br>Back to you Brian. I do however disagree with you, when you say, that Garth never speaks on big issues. He's done a lot, to promote gay right for example.
<br>
<br>I think you could say, that Garths songs are not so much directed on the system and the world as Bruce's (I'm on a limb here - as I don't know much of Bruce, corect me if I'm wrong). Garth's songs are more directed to every individual. Some good examples would be The River and How You Ever Gonna Know. They really capture what Garth are all about: pursuit your dreams, and trust The Good Lord above.
<br>
<br>I think Garth has many very good statements. He has taught me to take more chances in my life. I have done so, some times with better result than others, but at least I've tried: I can look myself into the eyes without regretting that I didn't do anything.
<br>
<br>Brian - you also know I'm a christian. Through Garth (not only him though) I've also learned to walk proud telling people that I'm a christian. He's also taught me a few things I'd never thought of before - especially in Unanswered Prayers.
<br>I know you're not a christian Brian, so I understand that all his talk about God and Jesus doesn't say you anything (even though I hope it does).
<br>
<br>Well, that was my few comments.
<br>
<br>JakobN

gbkubfan
01-27-2001, 07:47 AM
Hey...I am throwing my 2 cents into the thread. I am a very big Garth fan. He is my all-time favorite. But before Garth, I was a Springsteen fan. This dates me but I was in high school when I first started listening to Bruce. I had heard of him because of the dual covers on Time/Newsweek. But I got turned onto him because of his CD Darkness on the Edge of Town. That was an amazing album. I had it on 8 track and wore it out and bought another. The River is probably my favorite Bruce song along with Atlantic City. My second favorite album is Nebraska. I like Bruce when he is writing dark music. That is what I like about him. Garth on the other hand writes more uplifting music. Not that Bruce doesn't but I like Garth for his music and Bruce for his music. When I feel depressed and unhappy, I listen to Bruce. It fits my mood. Garth has surpassed Bruce in my personal favorites. Garth isn't as political as Bruce but I don't listen to music for the political message. I listen to music for what it does for me personally. Music is different things to differnt people. Thats why we have so many different styles and tatstes. I personally don't agree with Eminem's message but I do enjoy his music and creativity. So there is no Bruce is better than Garth or Garth better than Bruce. We are attracted to each for something that the music says to us. Some may enjoy the political aspect and some the live is precious. Both are great messages. Thats the great thing about music, there is always something there for everyone.JMHON

jstensig
01-27-2001, 08:05 AM
Applause to GBKUBFAN.
<br>
<br>JakobN

Pilgrim
01-27-2001, 01:57 PM
GREAT reply's Jakob and gbkubfan:):):)
<br>
<br>I know that Garth does speak on big issues, like with the gay rights at the EQ concert:)
<br>But I would LOVE to see him write songs directly about it:)
<br>Like Bruce does with police violence, murderes, death penalty etc.
<br>There is no doubt that Garth is a MUCH bigger artist today than Bruce, and if he want to be that he should take some responsebility and speak his mind more. I miss that about him.
<br>Whether he like it or not A LOT of people follow what he say.
<br>I just think it is wrong to give a picture perfect image of God instead of focusing on real problems out there.
<br>I would say pursuit your dream and trust YOURSELF!:)
<br>Having said that I still think "She's Gonna Make It" and "We Shall Be Free" deserved A HELL OF A LOT more recognition than they got:)
<br>
<br>Jakob, bruce also dirtect his lyrics at people:) I would say he write about the system, but put a person in as the character:) So he fit a song to both issues:)
<br>
<br>BTW, Did you know that "American Skin" (41 shots) was voted best single of the year by Billboard???
<br>hey it wasn't even made as a single, or even recorded:eek:
<br>but it caused a HUGE debate about some episode of police violence in NYC:)
<br>
<br>Thanks for your input:)
<br>

fuzzwuzz
01-27-2001, 02:49 PM
Brian, have I heard this song(41 Shots) that you are referring to?
<br>
<br> Now, when you talk about Garth speaking out more on the issues, I think we forget one thing. Sometimes it is the issues that we allow to divide us and we use to build walls between us. Garth sees those walls as coming down. I think he is just being careful not to add to that, but that he would rather to see us united as one. That seems to be his goal.N

Lowland_Kid
01-28-2001, 07:55 AM
Hey Brian,
<br>
<br>Don't worry, I like rock music! I am a fan of Bon Jovi for instance (don't start puking now! ;) ).
<br>
<br>As to the message that some songs contain: to me they are not the most important part of the music. It just has to sound "right" to me. And music that is too dark does not appeal to me.
<br>
<br>I will hopefully get my CD tomorrow, so I'll mail you my "verdict" :).
<br>
<br>MarjolijnN

fuzzwuzz
01-28-2001, 11:21 AM
That's not to imply the issues are not important. It's just that somehow, real love for EVERYONE needs to be the driving force behind them. If love for the next guy is not coming first, then I'd say we've quite clouded the real issue.N

babyblue777
01-28-2001, 11:54 AM
When I was 12, I moved in with my great-grandmomma so I could take care of her. I had been so into pop music at the time, and I was getting a little sick of it. It seemed like the same sappy love song over and over again. Anyway, I was up late one night flipping through the channels on my G-grandmomma's tv and I see these big, blue eyes and I decide to watch:) it was "The Red Strokes" music video. I listened to the song and it seemed so different and real. I got to lookin at this guy and he looked so familiar and I remembered seeing him on some award show singing about the Oklahoma City bombing. The way he sang the song made me cry and when I found out that this guys name was Garth Brooks, I couldn't believe it, I thought, "is this the same guy who sang FILP?" So, I bought In Pieces and listened to the whole cd and I was crying so hard because I didn't think that anyone could sing songs about that kind of stuff, like someone cared about what his fans were listening to. Soon after, I started listening to country music and watching CMT and found other people I liked. I would come across songs from him that I'd never heard before on the radio and he never stoped amazing me. So now I have all his albums and when my G-grandmomma moved to the nursing homes, I was really comforted by his music more than anything. I'm stuck with him now.:)N

Pilgrim
01-28-2001, 03:55 PM
Dale:)
<br>
<br>I don't know if you have heard the song:eek:
<br>
<br>The song is not recorded (rumours has it Bruce will release a live CD from Madison Square Garden April 3rd) so far and is only heard in concert:)
<br>You may be able to find it on Napster as a bootleg though;)
<br>
<br>
American Skin / 41 Shots
<br>
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots and we'll take that ride
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>
<br>Lena gets her son ready for school
<br>She says now on these streets Charles
<br>You got to understand the rules
<br>Promise me if an officer stops you'll allways be polite
<br>Never ever run away and promise momma you'll keep your hands in sight
<br>
<br>Cause is it a gun?
<br>Is it a knife?
<br>Is it a wallet?
<br>This is your life
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>The secret my friend
<br>You can get killed just for living in your American skin
<br>
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>Across this bloody river to the other side
<br>41 shots they cut through the night
<br>You're kneeling over his body in the vestibule
<br>Praying for his life
<br>
<br>Is it a gun?
<br>Is it a knife?
<br>Is it a wallet?
<br>This is your life
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>Ain't no secret my friend
<br>
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>
<br>Lena gets her son ready for school
<br>She says now on these streets Charles
<br>You got to understand the rules
<br>Promise me if an officer stops you'll always be polite
<br>Never ever run away and promise momma you'll keep your hands in sight
<br>
<br>Cause is it a gun?
<br>Is it a knife?
<br>Is it a wallet?
<br>This is your life
<br>It ain't no secretn get killed just for living in your American skin
<br>
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>
<br>Is it a gun?
<br>Is it a knife?
<br>Is it a wallet?
<br>This is your life
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>
<br>41 shots and we'll take that ride
<br>Across this bloody river to the other side
<br>41 shots my boots caked in mud
<br>We're baptized in these waters and in each other's blood
<br>
<br>It ain't no secretIs it a knife?
<br>Is it a wallet?
<br>This is your life
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>It ain't no secret
<br>The secret my friend
<br>You can get killed just for living in
<br>You can get killed just for living in
<br>
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>41 shots
<br>

Original-GB-Fanatic
01-28-2001, 04:07 PM
"41 shots" was stated 31 times......he could have at least quoted it....say....."41" times......GREAT songwriter.....the rest of the lyrics were good though
<br>
<br>LOL:)
<br>
<br>I'm just having fun with you Brian:)N

Lilly_ok
01-30-2001, 05:04 AM
Hey Everyone again!!!!
<br>Hope ya'll are having a great day so far. Right now I'm in school and should be doing my work but I'm not. Thanks Pilgrim/Brian for welcoming me. But you guys/ladies should not be fighting over who is the better songwriter because in my opinion anyone who puts a song together and makes it a hit that everyone loves is a good songwriter. I know I'm alittle crazy but oh well.
<br>
<br>I have to agree with Angela x because I would take Garth's butt over Bruce's anyday, sorry Bruce...lol...
<br>
<br>Love Ya'll,
<br>MichelleN

Lilly_ok
01-30-2001, 07:58 AM
Hey Brian
<br>
<br>Gotta Question to ask you....
<br>What album is that song "41 Shots" on, it sounds familiar???
<br>
<br>Michelle:'PN

Pilgrim
01-30-2001, 08:43 AM
Michelle:)
<br>
<br>41 Shots has never ben released, or even recorded.
<br>
<br>It was played live at MSG last summer, but caused a HUGE debate in the media because it is about a guy who was shot 41 times by the police in NYC when he tried to give them his wallet. He was UNARMED!!!:(:(
<br>
<br>Original-gb-fanatic:)
<br>
<br>It is great lyrics, better than the G-man's anyway:)
<br>I am sure he sing the 41 shots 41 times in concert:) That's what I've been told. The lyrics are NOT official, but only as been heard in concert.:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

Lilly_ok
01-31-2001, 04:17 AM
Hey Brian,
<br>
<br>Egads!!! I didn't know about that, how sad, People these days. That's why I'm glad we have music geniuses like you so we can ask these types of questions thanks
<br>MichelleN