PDA

View Full Version : Passed up by Miles - did this happen to anyone else?

splitzer
03-21-2000, 12:29 AM
I just suddenly realized something! I admit I had totally forgotten about the Miles project, since it started so long ago and no one had said anything about it again, but...<P>I put my name on the list to receive Miles and was told I would get an email shortly before receiving him to remind me. I never got any email and certainly never got Miles. :( I'm very disappointed. What happened?<P>Did anyone else sign up and get left out?<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

Pilgrim
03-21-2000, 01:04 AM
I couldn't sign up :( <P>They wouldn't send Miles over the sea because they were afraid he would be lost :o<BR>I don't see how that would happen :o :o<P><BR>BrianN

redstrokes77
03-21-2000, 02:30 AM
Brian!<P> They lost the Oscars, didn't they? ;)N

PJ
03-21-2000, 06:45 AM
They also lost the original Miles to someone who never returned him. After sending many packages overseas, I understand why they would limit Miles Jr's travels to north America knowing how long international mail takes and the odds of him getting misrouted do increase. I have had packages take six weeks to reach an address in Canada and over three months for Australia even when sending air mail.N

Hawk7lte
03-21-2000, 07:27 AM
Oh dear what can the matter be; dear, dear<BR>Those Oscars have disappeared.<P>Don't you thing those beautiful forms of gold<BR>have been sold?<P><BR>Glad Miles didn't suffer the same fate and is safe in the arms of the one he was intended for.<P><BR>HawkN

Brooks7
03-21-2000, 08:21 AM
I was passed too, I was new when I heard of Miles, I probably was too late when I sent my name in, the list was probably filled, <P>I just figure now that I have been here a while, hopefully if something like that happens again, I will make the list<P>I can't wait for the next great idea that someone comes up withN

Karen4GB
03-21-2000, 02:18 PM
Who's Miles? I'm new . . . It sounds interesting though?! :)<P>-Karen-N

ThankGod4Garth
03-21-2000, 03:51 PM
I apologize again to people I didn't get to. I did ask if anyone wanted to keep things going and everyone who answered wanted Miles to go to Garth now so that's what I did. I can't say I regret it that much though. He's where he belongs and the post office will now be able to forget my name ;) They didn't even have to ask what I wanted. They just rang everything up. Mailing fees, boxes and labels were taking their toll. I loved doing it, but it is a lot of stress relief to have it done, especially now that I'm having to write and teach more lesson plans during my internship. That takes a lot of my time these days. Again-- I'm really sorry to those that I just couldn't get to. I do feel really bad about it :(N

Hawk7lte
03-21-2000, 06:58 PM
Hey; Thank God for you.<P>You did lots of work and Miles is where s/he belongs now. There will be another project for those that missed that one....in fact people could be contributing to the tribute book now including letters to Garth.<P>And by the way most of the Oscars have been found and will find their home too this weekend (don't you love happy endings).<P><BR>HawkN

splitzer
03-21-2000, 11:16 PM
I thouroughly appreciate the hard work involved in the Miles project, but I really don't understand how it happened. I signed up right in the beginning, as soon as the project came up. I remember the birth of the idea! It just doesn't make sense, and I'm disappointed. I'm not mad or anything, but very disappointed. I was excited about participating.<P>When did you ask if we wanted you to go ahead and get him to Garth? I didn't see that post... :(<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

ThankGod4Garth
03-22-2000, 02:49 AM
Splitzer- My question about Miles was under "Miles Jr Important!!." There are several reasons people got passeed by:<P>1.They were from a state the was already accounted for by another host and had to wait till the next time around for that state to come up again.<P>2. Their email was not valid at the time I tried to contact them and the note was returned and I moved on the the next person.<P>3. They did not respond to the email sent.<P>There were a lot of things that happened. Those are just a few. Again, I wish I could have gotten to everyone. That was my goal. I really tried, but I just couldn't do it, and ST seemed like the best time to wrap things up since we don't even know when Garth will be touring again. <P><BR>Hawk-- Awe, That is really sweet of you to say. Thank you :)N

sandytoo
03-22-2000, 03:03 PM
ThankGod4Garth - I continue to support your decision to give Miles Jr. to Garth at Spring Training. You did a great job in handling everything and getting him to Garth (I talked to someone at Spring Training a couple of days after you gave Miles to Garth; she said that it was wonderful !!).N

splitzer
03-22-2000, 08:58 PM
Apparantly, I had forgotten the arrangement. I figured it was "first come first serve," so that he would go to people in the order that they signed up, OR at least he would go state by state, since that would move him the fastest.<P><B>HOWEVER</B><P>Let me clarify that I truly appreciate the hard work and I think you guys did great! I just <I>really, really</I> wanted to be a part of it. I can't help but be disappointed.<P>BTW- It must have been the state thing, because my email hasn't changed and I always reply to my email. I'm sure CA probably had quite a few on the list, though... :(<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

GarthsBestGirl
03-23-2000, 02:58 AM
HI,<BR> I got passed up too and I too was one of the first to sign up. As far as I know, the first person in Florida as well. Oh well...so is life. I had an idea. Since it is fairly apparent (from what Garth has said to reporters and the fact tha his TEA is a big success) he will be going to ST next year too,why don't we start a new project to go to him next year? I intend to be there, and would be more than happy to be this project's coordinator. But what should the gift be? Another bear? Miles Jr JR? Or something else? I know a store where you walk in and "make" your own bear from the empty skin to putting a little heart inside to putting clothes on it. I thought this would be a cute idea to send. Maybe name it "Slugger" since it would be going to the ball field? Let me know guys if you would be interested in a new project.<BR>TracyN

Pilgrim
03-23-2000, 03:36 AM
The next project could be a doll of<P>Baron Karl Fredrich von Munchausen :o<P>I think you get the drift :o ;)<P>BrianN

GarthsBestGirl
03-23-2000, 04:20 AM
Munchausen? As in Munchausens Syndrome? Where you hurt your kids or make them sick to get attention??? Am lost here<BR>TracyN

GBShameless
03-23-2000, 04:21 AM
ThankGod4Garth,<P>I didn't get a chance to get Miles either, but I was standing there when you gave she/he to Garth at ST and it was defintely the right time to do. He really appreciated it, even though there wasn't a smile, because he was trying to concentrate on what Miles was all about, but it was the right thing to do. :)<P>RobinN

GarthsBestGirl
03-23-2000, 04:41 AM
Hey Brian,<BR>I did a search on the Baron ... that was not very nice. "The Baron of Lies" was Munchausens nickname. Not a really kind thing to say about Garth. I think I will stick with the "Slugger" idea if anyone wants to be involved. <BR> I am already saving money to go next year, and if he decides not to play ball then, well, there will be other ways to get the little guy to him. I just thought it would be nice for those who didn't get to see Miles to get a chance to be involved. I think the best thing to do will be to limit how many people though so no feelings will be hurt next year if all of us can't get in under the wire. I know how much work went into Miles project and that it was set back by losing Miles SR :( Hopefully if we do Slugger, it will run smoothly. :)<BR>Tracy N

Pilgrim
03-23-2000, 04:53 AM
Tracy<P>Hmmm, what should I say about him??<P>I hope you realize that I was kidding about the Baron, eventhough a bit of it could be true.<P>Brian :)N

ThankGod4Garth
03-23-2000, 05:19 AM
Hey GBshameless--I'm glad you were there! You should have introduced yourself :) I know I made a quick exit but that's because my dad and I had to get home. We live far from from the ballpark. Maybe we could make shirts for next time that have our PG user names on them. Do you think my user name would be offensive to anyone? I really do thank God for Garth. It's not meant to use God's name in vain or anything.<P>As for CA-- that was the very first state Miles visited so California was way down on the list after that<P>As for Florida-- I had said before that I live in Fl so Miles jr visited here quite often ;) Emials came in very quickly for this thing. Even if a person answered in the first couple of days, there were *a lot* of emails the first couple of days. I sorted through them and let everyone know that I was making getting to different states the priority so if you were a person that was in a state already accounted for, there was a good chance I wouldn't get to them. I even posted a few times that I was having trouble contacting people and asked for volenteers to take him that were on the list-- if they happened to be in a state already accounted for then I let it be because I had to keep things moving. As it stands, I got to most states that I had listed, but with delays and different problems, it was difficult. <P>Thanks for all the kind words everybody and again-- I'm really sorry that I couldn't get to everyone. I tried, I really did. N

Pilgrim
03-23-2000, 05:29 AM
<B>ThankGod4Garth</B><P>Why would your username be offensive???<P>If both you and Garth believe in God then I think it's fine :)<BR>I don't believe in God, and I don't have a problem with your username either :)<P>If someone find your name offensive, then screw them! :)<P>But it's a good idea with the username thing :)<P>BrianN

ThankGod4Garth
03-23-2000, 06:10 AM
Hey Pilgrim-<P>Thanks! I must say, I've always believed in God, but after last week I *really* believe. I never believed I would ever *talk* to Garth *ever.* I knew Miles Jr would get to him somehow. I *would* find a way but that most likely the way I found would not include me. My family thought I was crazy and many told me I was nuts because there was no way to get it to him unless I mailed it and if I did mail it, he'd never see it because he gets so much mail. I said "Don't worry about it, I'll find a way." Then, with all my studies and my computer being down, I didn't even know that he was here in Fl and not AZ for ST. Less than two weeks before he was to leave I found out about it *and* my spring break fell on that exact same week before he left so that I had time to plan things and put everything together for the album. And I did get to talk to him. Hmm ;) N

Crackers
03-23-2000, 06:34 AM
Okay, I'm now curious as to what you gave to Garth. I know you gave him the bear and letters written by PGers. Were there things like pictures of Miles in different locations? My curiousity is getting the best of me. It sounds like it was a really fun and creative project. I wish I had been there when you gave it to him. I'll bet he enjoyed looking at all the stuff. Please enlighten me.N

ThankGod4Garth
03-23-2000, 08:01 AM
Hey Crackers--<P>The album had:<P>state pins that were sent that I arranged in a special way<P>Pictures of Miles Jr with his hosts<P>Pictures of just Miles in some places<P>Pictures of just hosts<P>letters<P>Postcards <P>a couple of children's drawings<P>cards <P>some miscelleneous (sp?)momentos were sent, too.<P>a list of places Miles visited with the total number of fans visited.<P>A letter from Miles Jr to Garth explaining the project. <BR> hmmm... I think that's it :) I got it all in there! :DN

Crackers
03-23-2000, 08:51 AM
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH! That just sounds wonderful!!! I'll bet he just loved it. I'm guessing that it made him cry, too. Thanks for the details.N

Pilgrim
03-23-2000, 12:31 PM
<B>ThankGod4Garth</B><P>You didn't even know he was in Florida??? <BR>WOW, you must feel lucky you found out in time :) :D<P>BrianN

ThankGod4Garth
03-23-2000, 01:25 PM
I know it's hard to believe, but no, I didn't know he was here :o. I get all my GB info from planetgarth and with my computer down, I had no way to visit here. I used other computers when I could, but I hadn't even been able to do that for months. Writing papers and lessons kept me too busy to really be up on things. I haven't read the paper much. And yes, I am thrilled that I found out in time ;) N

Pilgrim
03-23-2000, 01:27 PM
Well, you better get a new computer then ;)<P>One that don't crash :)<P>BrianN

ThankGod4Garth
03-23-2000, 02:09 PM
I was finally able to get the problem taken care of. Everytime I tried to get on the net, it would say :"internet Explorer cannot open site..." with a big 'ole red x in the corner of the box. Talk about PG withdrawls. That's why I've been here so much lately, although I shouldn't be :o. I still have a lot of work to do, but it's just so great to be on the net again after all that time. :DN