PDA

View Full Version : Ever hide your Garth obsession?

Garthfan92
12-14-2000, 01:35 PM
Ok. This may sound like a strange question, but I'll explain why I'm asking. I used to believe the sterotype of country music to the point I wouldn't even give it a chance. My mom started listening to it when I was about 11. My sister and I would always complain like crazy when she had it on in the car. We heard it a lot, but didn't LISTEN to it. We pretty much tuned it out. Afterall, no kids my age were listening to it, and how could it be cool to listen to the same music as your mom? Sorry, but that was enough reason at that age to say it couldn't possibly be cool! LOL So when I was 14 and got hooked on Garth, I didn't want to admit it! After a month, I was begging my mom to get tickets for a concert. I was telling her, "You know you want to go, and I'll even go with you." The truth was I REALLY WANTED TO GO!!!! I couldn't hide for long just how hooked I was, but I sure tried for a while! Now I want everyone to know! So how about it, anyone else ever do the same?
<br>
<br>LisaN

Pilgrim
12-14-2000, 02:33 PM
Cute story:)
<br>
<br>but nope:eek: I have never done anything similar:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

sasteen
12-14-2000, 02:35 PM
Lisa,
<br>
<br>I usually have to hide as far as how "into" Garth I am because I usually get teased by everyone.
<br>
<br>ShellyN

Garthfan92
12-14-2000, 02:45 PM
I hear you, Shelly! My sister still gives me a hard time about it after more than 8 years, but I've learned to live with it. People who know me know I love Garth, although many don't realize just how much! I'll tell anyone that I love the man though! Many start giving his music a chance and don't think I'm TOTALLY insane once they do! It can be an uphill battle with people who still believe the stereotype though.
<br>
<br>LisaN

CheyenneWindRoper
12-14-2000, 02:49 PM
NEVER! NEVER!! NEVER!!!
<br>
<br>Tease away, I could care less, I am passionate about Garth. AND.....Proud of it! :)
<br>
<br>The man is my HERO and they will pry his CD's out of my cold dead fingers!
<br>
<br>Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!!!
<br>Mary LizN

Lost 'n' Garth
12-14-2000, 04:22 PM
Nope..Nada..Never!!
<br>
<br>I think people get a kick out of it. My friends, Family, and people at work know:
<br>
<br>* I went to Spring training at Port St Lucie (not to see the Mets..need I remind you):) I like football! (Go Dolphins!!)
<br>
<br>*Included Yukon and Claremore Oklahoma in my cross country trip this summer (Oklahoma is nice but not really considered the hot spot in the U.S.) ;)
<br>
<br>*Insisted my hubby stop for awhile in Nashville on the way to Kansas City (to see family)..ya know.. Music Row and other Garth related things!!
<br>
<br>*I have multiple video tapes of things recorded since 1991 of "Da Man"
<br>
<br>*the list goes on and on............
<br>
<br>Obsessed?? Me never..LOL :)
<br>
<br>I am proud to be a Garth fan and will never hide my respect and admiration for him!!
<br>
<br>Cheri :)N

Frankie-20-100
12-14-2000, 07:43 PM
Lisa
<br>I do understand you and you are not alone.
<br>I was 35 when I was first saw a Garth special on TV and I was hooks immediatly. An independant woman with kinds and a loving husand, you would think so what! The problem was that Country music was not popular in Quebec and in the french community. I mean, just imagine we don't even have a country radio station here and before CMT came gave us Country... well let just say that people didn't even smile or laugh when they heard that someone was a country fan but looked at them as if they had lost their mind. So I was not about to say anything. But Garth changed all that.:)I became a garthnut and just couldn't get enough of his music. And my husband didn't stop loving me and the kids well... they make faces when I play his music but they know all the words.;);) Now everybody who know me know who Garth Brooks is and when they hear something they come to me to check if it's true or not. I have a webpage in french for the garthnuts who doesn't speak english and I'm proud to be a fan.
<br>
<br>France
<br>http://pages.infinit.net/garthfrN

fuzzwuzz
12-14-2000, 09:04 PM
ME?! OBSESSED?! WITH GARTH???!!! OK.OK. But don't ya see? It's was ALL Chris Gaines FAULT!!! So at least I have someone I can blame! But he likes it that way. What else can I say in my defense? He's the one behind the wheel driving. Not me! I just hope I have enough cash for this cab fare I must be racking up, if I ever get dropped off to wherever he's taking me! I'm in no hurry mind you!<P>(This message has been edited by fuzzwuzz)N

Tim13
12-14-2000, 09:30 PM
No.N

jstensig
12-15-2000, 04:48 AM
No, I enjoy telling people I listen to country and especially Garth.
<br>
<br>Here in Denmark country isn't regarded as something you listen to. Everytime I say country, people say: long boots and cowboy hats...
<br>
<br>For me it's great fun to see peoples reaction when I tell them I listen to country. They get so surprised that a yong man like me listen to that kind of music.
<br>
<br>The great part: I've converted a handful to like country as well.
<br>
<br>JakobN

redstrokes77
12-15-2000, 09:18 AM
I can hide my Garth obsession about as well as I can hide my weight!
<br>
<br>debN

Acorn
12-15-2000, 09:50 AM
Nah, I'm proud of it. I'll tell ya what bugs me though..when I tell people I like Hanson, they think I'm a "teenie-bopper". I'm far from it. :P
<br>I hate all the stereotyping of country music and it's listners...but I don't really care if people stereotype me a "hick" or whatever, 'cause it's a lot better than other things I get stereotyped as... :P
<br>
<br>NikiN

sasteen
12-15-2000, 10:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, its not that I keep it a secret or anything.
<br>Everyone who knows me, knows how "obsessed" I am.
<br>They all just tease the hell out of me...all the time.
<br>I wouldn't give it up for anything or anyone. Its the only thing I have that is MINE. Like a hobby.
<br>It will all be worth it when I finally get my Garth moment.
<br>(dreaming)
<br>
<br>Shelly Pa
<br>N

angelamccann
12-15-2000, 10:19 AM
The only time recently I haven't shouted about it was at a job interview - didn't think it was appropriate to mention somehow (though now I've got the job my first consideration is how quickly I can get my Garth music set up in the new office).
<br>
<br>I did, however, wear both the same outfit I wore when I met Garth a few weeks ago, and my Chris ring for the interview :)
<br>
<br>Angela xN

DixieChick4GB
12-15-2000, 12:33 PM
I have just been a fan for a little over a year and I have never hidden my obsession for even a moment and my family still loves me (I think).
<br>
<br>By the way, France, I don't know French but your French Garth Brooks site is way too cool!!!
<br>
<br>ElaineN

Lowell Miller
12-15-2000, 01:52 PM
I agree with you Elaine. That site looks great...it's laid out very well.N

JoAnn L.
12-15-2000, 03:24 PM
(Life is too short NOT to be a Garth Brooks fan!!! )
<br>
<br>I love it....this will be my new bumper sticker!! Thanks for the great idea! :-)N

Garthfan92
12-15-2000, 03:48 PM
Seems none of us are very shy about how much we love Garth! It was that first month or two I had trouble admiting it to my mom and sister that I didn't just think Garth was ok, but I was crazy about him! After all the complaining I'd always done about listening to country, I knew I'd never hear the end of it! For a while that was true. It was really after that first concert that I couldn't hide it anymore if I wanted to! I was a major Garth fanatic, and there was no way around it!!! Within about 3 months, country was all I was ever listening to anymore. So ever since '92, everyone knows I'm a Garth fan. They always tell me about things they hear about him, or ask if it's true and what I think about it. One thing that happens a lot is someone coming over and saying, "I heard Garth is on TV this weekend. I'm sure you already knew, but wanted to make sure." I always tell them that I did know, but thanks for making sure! LOL
<br>
<br>LisaN

MDgarthgirl
12-15-2000, 07:14 PM
Back in high school, when I started listening to Garth and really fell in love with country, I knew it wouldn't be "accepted." It was something my friends always rolled their eyes at, which, yeah, bugged the hell out of me. I just figured, "To each her own." Oh, they do always make sure to remind me to remember them when I become an artist. ;)
<br>
<br>When I moved to Tennessee, half an hour away from Nashville, to start college...I figured it would be more accepted. In fact, I prayed for it. It hasn't turned out that way (Talk about "hard to believe"). Out of all the people I've made friends with, including my roommates...two other people like it. It really depressed me the first semester, to say the least.
<br>
<br>So, yeah, I've basically reserved Garth and Martina and Alan and Steve and Trisha, etc., to my room and my car. It's kinda strange, actually. But I'd rather enjoy them alone as opposed to hearing, "Could you take a break from that??" (which I have heard)
<br>
<br>Country's remained ...how to say this. When I get to sing along with it, it feels like a secret that only I get to share with the artist. Then it's really cool, lol.
<br>
<br>Nash<P>(This message has been edited by MDgarthgirl)N

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
12-15-2000, 08:51 PM
NOPE!:) NEVER!:)
<br>
<br>CC:)N