PDA

View Full Version : Guitar smashing

Geoff
12-04-2000, 01:24 PM
I was looking up a bio of Laura Bertram and decided to see if they had Garth's bio. They did and it was up to date (spouse: Sandy 1986-Oct 2000) and this was there:
<br>Ends many concerts by smashing his guitar, and giving the pieces to a fan in the front row.
<br>I thought he stopped smashing guitars after the Houston show after the NBC special (one of the covers of DL)? I do know he threw someone the WHOLE guitar at Central Park, but not pieces. Am I missing something here or am I right that he stopped? Thanks!<P>(This message has been edited by Geoff)N

LonsomeDove
12-04-2000, 01:35 PM
As far I as know, Garth only did that for the NBC special.
<br>N

Vanessa
12-04-2000, 03:23 PM
Is the NBC special the same one as LFCP or IAB?? :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

MDgarthgirl
12-04-2000, 03:47 PM
I've heard Garth say on several occasions that the guitar smash was only for the NBC Special "This Is Garth Brooks". He also added a story of how a "voice of reason" told him that it might be better to give guitars away to people who would put them to proper use. :) And so, I think, he got about 30(?) guitars from Takamine to give to hand out when he felt someone was worthy of such a gift. (I'm paraphrasing, anyone is free to correct me if I got that wrong)
<br>
<br>And Vanessa, The NBC Special (This Is Garth Brooks), Central Park, and Ireland and Back are three different specials that Garth was gracious enough to share with us. :):) Idn't he sweet? lol
<br>
<br>Nash<P>(This message has been edited by MDgarthgirl)<P>(This message has been edited by MDgarthgirl)N

Vanessa
12-04-2000, 04:17 PM
LOL yeah Hash, Garth is very sweet. :) Thanks!! :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

littlebit
12-06-2000, 06:46 AM
i know i heard on a interview, he did do it once more but it didn't feel right. Don't know where that was though.
<br>
<br>deAnnalynnN

Chris Gaines
12-06-2000, 07:03 AM
Actually,
<br>
<br>Garth said.. he received many complaints after the airing of the show about the "Smashing Guitar." In one complaint a lady wrote that "Since you say you would love others to 'explore' music and 'learn' music.. why don't you give the guitar away UNDAMAGED so the kid can learn to play it."
<br>
<br>Ever since Garth has "passed out" during some shows.. an "Unharmed guitar" for hopes that the receiver would learn to play it. :)
<br>
<br>JasonN

onair
12-07-2000, 05:10 AM
Garth did smash a guitar @ a "house" show...He said he was looking for something to take it to the next level. He smashed the guitar into the drum kit hoping to achieve the next level. Unfortunately it seemed more like a downer than an upper, and the rest of the show was not quite the same. Garth also went on to say that was the last guitar he ever smashed at a concert.
<br>
<br>onair
<br>N

garth_fan_1991
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Can he even play the guitar?

Darrell
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
The first Garth concert I ever saw was 1992 in Monroe, LA. There was a little girl maybe 3 years old dressed in a cowgirl outfit sitting on her dads shoulders. The little girl stretched as far as she could toward the stage and gave Garth a rose. Garth said "well where I come from when someone gives you something, you give them something in return." Garth then began searching his pockets as if looking for something. One of the stage hands then gives him a brand new guitar and a pen. Garth signed it right there and handed it to the little girl.

Garthmedic
08-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Can he even play the guitar?

How many times are you going to ask this? It has been answered.