PDA

View Full Version : Not so nice article in New York Post

nygal
06-13-2000, 08:59 AM
Sorry if this is not neat, I just cut and pasted it here.<P><BR> BROOKS' BOMB DOOMS LABEL CHIEF <BR> by RICHARD JOHNSON<BR> with Paula Froelich and Chris Wilson <BR> "CHRIS Gaines," the pop-singing alter ego of country/western<BR> star Garth Brooks, was such a bad idea, he's brought down at<BR> least one record exec with him. <P> Pat Quigley, president of Brooks' label, Capitol Records<BR> Nashville, a division of EMI, will be demoted to senior VP of<BR> marketing when EMI and Warner Music complete their merger this<BR> fall, sources say. <P> The flop of the "In the Life of Chris Gaines" album also ended the<BR> friendship between Quigley and Brooks, who had backed Quigley<BR> in his bid for the top slot in 1996. <P> Insiders said Quigley, in turn, wholeheartedly backed Brooks<BR> when he came up with the idea of a mysterious pop balladeer<BR> semi-disguised in a dark wig and a "soul patch" tiny beard. <P> "Garth hired all these people to write and produce an album that<BR> would eventually have a tie-in to a movie, starring him," said one<BR> source. The movie, "The Lamb," was supposed to be released<BR> this spring, but is now "indefinitely postponed," sources said. <P> Brooks spared no cost making the album. Over 50 musicians were<BR> hired and 19 people were included in the credits - including<BR> industry veteran Don Was, who, sources say, makes "at least<BR> $100,000" a track. <P> "The total album cost was near $5 million and Quigley spent over<BR> $15 million promoting it," said a spy. <P> Only two million albums sold, compared to Brooks' usual sales of<BR> 6-to-7 million. "Pat basically put his butt on the line for Garth's<BR> folly. Garth backed him once and then he backed Garth," a spy<BR> said. <P> But when the album soured, spies said Brooks complained that he<BR> wasn't getting support from Capitol and Quigley. Other artists on<BR> the label were bitter since so much money was going to promote<BR> Chris Gaines instead of them. <P> Spies say Brooks apologized later to other artists and told them<BR> Quigley was "out the door" and that he was "deeply, deeply<BR> sorry." It was later announced internally that Quigley would be<BR> moved to marketing at the merged label. <P> A rep for EMI said, "Quigley is currently the president of Capitol<BR> Nashville and we have no comment on future staffing [decisions]<BR> until after the merger closes." <P> A rep for Brooks said there was no rift between Quigley and<BR> Brooks, and "The Lamb" was only on hiatus because the writer,<BR> Jeb Stuart, was having family medical problems. N

pldrw
06-13-2000, 09:14 AM
Guess That explains why i found this today in my entertainment newzine!<P>CHRIS GAINES' STILL IN THE WORKS: Garth Brooks is moving ahead<BR>with plans for "The Lamb," a movie about mythical rock star<BR>Chris Gaines. Brooks attempted to establish the character in<BR>the public's mind last year by recording a CD entirely in<BR>character as Gaines. It didn't sell well in comparison with<BR>Garth's usual chart performances, but producer Tracey Edmonds<BR>says the CD "did well in sales -- judging by normal standards."<BR>The wife of Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds, Tracey tells columnists<BR>Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith she hopes to start filming<BR>"The Lamb" in January, from a script by Jeb Stuart -- best<BR>known as the writer of "The Fugitive". <P> Pam Dolen<BR>I hope this is right and they start in January!! :)<BR>N

nygal
06-13-2000, 09:26 AM
..the sad thing is most singers would kill to sell 2 million albums.<P>JeanneN

Lost 'n' Garth
06-13-2000, 09:47 AM
How can they say this is a flop---2 million sold. I agree, some would kill to sell that many.<P>I wouldn't care if it only sold 2 copies-I would have both of them..I loved this album and hats off to Garth for going ahead with the project. "Do what ya gotta do!!!"<P>Cheri :)N

GBsMydance
06-13-2000, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't care if it only sold 2 copies-I would have both of them..I loved this album and hats off to Garth for going ahead with the project. "Do what ya gotta do!!!"<P>Cheri :)[/B][/QUOTE]<P>Amen Cheri..<BR>The thing that bothers me the most, they still need to give this project a chance. Once the movie is made, the sales will once again surge. The cd is awesome.. it should receive an A for being different, and should score high marks for being an original project.<BR>I think the record industry, and the press have put a bad spin on it. <BR>I proudly stand beside Cheri....<P>Dreams can come true, if you BELIEVE..<BR> PamN

no1cowgirl
06-13-2000, 11:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nygal:<BR><B> <BR> $15 million promoting it," said a <I>spy</I>. <BR> Garth backed him once and then he backed Garth," a <I>spy</I><BR> said. <BR> <I>Spies</I> say Brooks apologized later to other artists and told them<BR> Quigley was "out the door" and that he was "deeply, deeply<BR> sorry." </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Okay, I dunno who the heck these people think they are....but whoever they are--the SUCK at writing. I'm sorry, I took journalism in HS, and I'm sure there are others who know more about it than me here, but y'all know that they repeated the word spy at least four times! That's ridiculous....good lord. How stupid!<P>This just goes to show the politics of the music business!<P>KristaN

nygal
06-13-2000, 11:38 AM
I know, but this was the infamous Page Six of the Post.<P>You can see it if you check it today at TheNewYorkPost.com<P>Jeanne<P>PS - They do show a NICE pic of GB though.N

nygal
06-13-2000, 11:42 AM
..sorry, that should be NewYorkPost.com (no the)<BR> <A HREF="http://www.newyorkpost.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.newyorkpost.com/</A> <P>JeanneN

CountryBee
06-13-2000, 12:49 PM
If my memory is correct, Mr. Quigley was the Senior VP of Marketing at Capitol before he took over as President of Capitol-Nashville. Although he is being demoted, he is going back to his old position, the one he was very good at. He was one of the people who helped Garth come up with and implement all of the marketing/promotion for Garth's previous albums.<BR>BeeN

Pilgrim
06-13-2000, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info :)<P>BrianN

fuzzwuzz55
06-13-2000, 03:36 PM
I believe Garth when he claims Pat Quigley and Capitol didn't promote Chris Gaines properly. Pat Quigley made the mistake of claiming on the Charlie Rose interview that they should have spent more time on the music, not the character, of Chris Gaines.<BR> Garth claims he took care of the music, and that it hasn't done what he wants it to do yet. I don't think he is referring to merely sales. <BR> But I always felt Pat's comment was uncalled for, and showed his lack of faith in Chris, and we have indeed seen poor promotion of that project. Capitol even promised to rerelease Chris' 'backlog' if the Hits did well. But I guess 2 million sold is not good enough for a company so spoiled by Garth's past sales. Maybe the supposed failure of Chris' CD will bring some needed attention to other artists on the label.<BR> But lets not forget, Chris will pick up steam once "The Lamb" starts generating interest in Chris Gaines music.<BR> I wrote Garth and Capitol and told them from the get-go that Chris Gaines stole that crazed-dizzy feeling that I thought only the Beatles could possess when Beatlemania hit us like a tidal wave. Imagine what will happen when it hits the whole world quite possibly with that movie! Too bad Chris' record company has totally lost it's focus. <BR>With Garth, is there any doubt he knows exactly what he's doing and needs to be done?N

AmazedByChris
06-13-2000, 07:05 PM
I'm guessing that 'spy' is also known as 'Musicman'. Since when did journalists quote 'spies' anyway? It used to be 'inside source' or 'knowledgable source' or 'industry insider'. A 'spy' could be anyone claiming to have information. It's just more of the (expletives not included) they started off with when ITLOCG first came out. I'm betting one or both of these two wrote some of the earlier articles trashing Chris. Anyone got free access to Infomart?N

Lowell Miller
06-13-2000, 08:06 PM
Krista is right about the Post. The Post is not a respected newspaper. Not anymore. It is a trash magazine. And I'm not joking when I say this. It really is. The Post is all gossip. But some people still think the post is a respectful paper. It really isn't. Garth article or no Garth article.N

Teach
06-14-2000, 05:01 AM
When you have nothing better to write, write garbage. As many of you have said, I think most recording groups would be happy with two million sold for an album. I think the Chris Gaines project is terrific and I for one cannot wait for the movie. I also hope Garth will do more Chris Gaines music.N

MelMalovesGB4eva
06-14-2000, 06:35 AM
Amen, Teach. :)N

bsaanh
06-14-2000, 10:36 AM
I think that you all are right. When the movie comes out people will be wanting to buy the album and they will love the music. I know that Garth has done his best to promote the album, with the tv specials and the live chat that he had on yahoo - which last I knew was the longest yahoo chat session they have ever had, just because Garth got on early, and stayed late unlike the others. I read at the end of the chat transcript that Garth thought he would be coming in to defend himself, but instead he found that people liked what he was doing and only wanted to know more. He even answered someones question of Garth being able to go 2 days without eating, especially Taco Bell. With the movie coming out I am also sure that we can expect to see another Chris Gaines album - probably titled The Lamb, as the soundtrack. Heck even Garth's first album has sold more than 2 million copies. Heck over yahoo pager I played part of the CD to someone in California, the next day when I was chatting with her I found out that she went out and got a copy of it, and loves the entire album. We are lucky to have someone with enough guts to go out and try to attempt something like this. Now all there is to do is wait for the movie to come out and see what happens. Good Luck with the movie. I will be one of those that will request a day off of work to go and see it. <P>BryanN