PDA

View Full Version : Garth and Capitol Records

SweetGBFan
05-31-2000, 04:36 PM
I have a question and I know that someone on here can probably help cause some of you seem really knowledgable about stuff like this. Jason, I was really thinking that maybe you would know something about this or that your opinion would be really knowledgable since you really seem to know alot about Garth. I read an article tonight on the net about Capitol possibly changing leadership. We all know that Pat Quigley was pretty much hand chosen by Garth, and my question is, if someone else takes over the leadership of Capitol Nashville what happens to Garth? What Im thinking is if the new person lets say doesnt like Garth for some reason or thinks he has too much control what will happen do you think? Could they reneg on Garths contract so that he has to go somewhere else? I know that Garth is the highest selling artist at Capitol and their big money maker, so they would probably be slitting their own throats if they did, but do you think it could happen? Does anyone think that if new leadership takes over that Garth will leave? Even if he retires is he under any kind of contract to Capitol where he has to produce anymore albums? We know he had planned to release another album in November, and he has still got the soundtrack to the Lamb. Does any of this make any sense to anyone? Also do you think if Garth left Capitol that anyone else would snap him up for their label or do you think he would be too much competition for any other label and their artists? Okay guess Im done just curious to know if anyone knows how this stuff works and Im interested to know others opinions on this. ThanksN

no1cowgirl
05-31-2000, 04:46 PM
Well, you know....all of this is left to speculation. We are just gonna have to wait and see (we all know we hate that so) but we are. I don't think anyone here knows definately what will happen and who will leave. Heck, maybe NOTHING will happen! Just wait, and don't worry so much. It'll be alright. Even if Garth left Capitol, believe me....there would be every label in Nashville and across the country nippin at his heels!<P><BR>KristaN

GBfromWA
05-31-2000, 05:17 PM
Here's my two cents worth:<P>So many artists want out of Capitol (some already have) because Garth got all the attention--and I agree with them. Suzy Bogguss hasn't had a hit in years, she used to be so popular. She left Capitol. I also heard that Deana Carter was looking for a new home. But who knows. I think that if Capitol dropped Garth (under anyones leadership) it would be a huge loss for them and that the other labels would snatch him up like that. IF it happens, I really want MCA Nashville to pick him up. Then the Queen and King (Reba and Garth) can be on the same label! Cool, eh? Anyway, we'll just have to wait it out!<P>BenN

Snow
05-31-2000, 05:52 PM
From what I heard... Garth hasn't exactly been thrilled with Pat Quigley or the label lately. Garth brought a lot of new talent to the label himself... and not much has been happening for them either. Then there were the problems with the Chris Gaines CD. Perhaps he feels they are relying to heavily on Garth the performer. He sees that they are not working on the new artists and wanting him to stay Garth. *shrugs*... who knows.<P>He certainly could go anywhere he wanted... IF he wanted... or he could start his own. Perhaps he feels loyalty and investment in Capitol and would rather they open their eyes and DO something right for a change.N

hugeGBnutt
05-31-2000, 06:00 PM
I still think he should start his own label! :)<P>aRiN

Chris Gaines
05-31-2000, 07:41 PM
WOW SweetGBFan.. many questions in one post.. lets see what I can do with this that hasn't been touched yet :)<P><I>REMEMBER this is only my opinion!</I> :)<P><B>if someone else takes over the leadership of Capitol Nashville what happens to Garth?</B><P>Well I feel if Garth don't get the publicity that he wants for his next album.. that will be his key to just "retire" as if he does this then he is not obligated to "produce an more albums under contract" until he would "un-retire".<P><B>What Im thinking is if the new person lets say doesnt like Garth for some reason or thinks he has too much control what will happen do you think?</B><P>I think same answer would apply above to this question too. :)<P><B>Could they reneg on Garths contract so that he has to go somewhere else?</B><P>They could.. but if Garth was to "leave Capitol" and his contract.. the next label would have to "buy out the contract as to how much Capitol thinks it is "worth to them."<P><B>I know that Garth is the highest selling artist at Capitol and their big money maker, so they would probably be slitting their own throats if they did, but do you think it could happen?</B><P>Well hmmm tough one.. since Capitol gets all their money of Garth from Album sales.. and Garth is getting 50% of the album sales cut for himself (as per his contract) so Garth is getting what many other artists don't see... and that is he's taken a part of the revenue that Capitol would have got, as his pay as well.<BR>Garth's only paycheck from Capitol is 50% of every album that gets sold.. most other artists gets paid in a "lump sum" and the label gets all Album revenue.<P><B>Does anyone think that if new leadership takes over that Garth will leave?</B><P>This is a possiblity... also retirement is one as well.<P><B>Even if he retires is he under any kind of contract to Capitol where he has to produce anymore albums?</B><P>If you retire.. you retire. Kinda like baseball... he just can't retire then try and switch labels and come back, as that label would still have to "buy out the contract"<P><B>Also do you think if Garth left Capitol that anyone else would snap him up for their label or do you think he would be too much competition for any other label and their artists?</B><P>I dunno.. that might be risky for the Label, as Garth like to really get promoted and most labels only have so much "advertising" expenses.. it could cut into other artists (Like it did for Capitol.<BR>I think Garth might be best doing what someone else said.. if it would come to this... and that's start his own Label, and invite his "friends" in on it as well :)<P>Jason :)<P><BR>N

GRTH FAN
05-31-2000, 08:26 PM
Jason, I agree with you! I think he should start his own Label and invite friends to join!<BR>Donna :)N

honky
05-31-2000, 10:41 PM
Ummm.... I have heard some artists want to leave Capitol record. But I do know that Steve Wariner is enjoying his music success ever since his huge hit "Holes in the Floor of heavens" :) If it had been Garth's encouragement, Steve would not have had this huge success. <P>His new CD is good too :)<P><BR>TommyN

SweetGBFan
06-01-2000, 12:56 AM
thank you, Jason.<BR>I knew you would be knowledgable about these questions. I too think it would be risky for another label to buy out Garths contract. I for one, if he doesnt retire, hope he starts his own label. That would be cool. Red Strokes Recording Co. Any way thank you for your opinion and thank you everyone else. You can keep them coming.N

Pilgrim
06-01-2000, 01:56 PM
I think he will start his own label :)<P>If not! Then I think BMG will buy him out.<P>They have LOADS of money from other sources to take of :)<P>He could also end up with Disney ;) ;)<P>BrianN

CountryBee
06-01-2000, 03:08 PM
I seem to remember Garth saying, in a Crook and Chase interview, that he wanted to stay with Capitol, he wanted to end his recording career with them. Of course, the situation may have changed enough that Garth may have changed his mind. We will just have to wait and see. As for Garth putting out one last album, who knows? Look what happened to John Berry, his last album at Capitol was never released.<BR>Bee<BR>N

onair
06-02-2000, 05:36 PM
As far as John Berry's last album with the first rlease being Better Than a Biscuit, was a Capitol recording. The reason that it was never released was because his new label opted not to take the album and re-produce it and release it. <P>This happens every time that an album is made and an artist opts to leave or release and picked up by another label. Take for instance Sawer Brown...they have an album that is listed as Liberty/Curb records.<P>I hope that I could shed a little light on the subject or just confuse you even more.<P>onairN