PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Interested?

garthsgirl1
10-27-2000, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone...
<br>
<br>I have been thinking about making a gift for Garth, and I have wanted to do this for awhile, I have wanted to make a quilt, something extra special...but couldn't figure out what kind of pattern to do... Now I have one figured out. BUT, I need your help - if you are interested in being involved.
<br>
<br>I had not had the pleasure of meeting Da Man until the Opry weekend, and when I got my pictures back it hit me! What I am wanting to do is a memory quilt. I want to make the quilt and have a big center square that says "Thanks for the Memories Garth" then all the little squares would be pictures of people with Garth during their Garth Moment.
<br>
<br>What you would need to do:
<br>First: I would need for you to e-mail me garthsgirl1@yahoo.com
<br>and let me know that you are interested. I need to find out how many people will be sending in pictures (to figure out how big the quilt will be) then once I have all the interested persons, I will let you know what size square you will need.
<br>
<br>Second: I will tell you what kind of fabric to buy, it would be a small square (probably between 6"x6" or 9"x9") then you would take your square to a t-shirt print place and have your picture transfered onto the square. Some of you may have this capability on your home computer system but it would have to be high quality!
<br>
<br>Third: If you choose to do a square, after it is printed you could add by embroidery your names and dates of the moment (I don't want paint - sorry). Then send it to me and I will put it together.
<br>
<br>SO... How does this sound? Is anyone interested? I hope so. I think it would be something extra special. If you are interested, please e-mail me by November 10th. And I will let you know soon after that how we need to proceed.
<br>
<br>I would like to have it to give to him at Spring Training (if he does it). If not, I will keep you posted when I will get it to him - maybe at another Opry show...
<br>
<br>Let me know,
<br>Friends thru Garth,
<br>Tracey
<br>N

Chris Gaines
10-27-2000, 06:57 PM
well hmmm guess that would leave out most the PGers that either #1 don't have a pic of them with Garth.. or #2 have never had a Garth moment.
<br>
<br>JasonN

nelty
10-27-2000, 07:02 PM
Hey Tracey...
<br>
<br>love the idea, no offence but thank you Jas...
<br>
<br>NellyN

CheyenneWindRoper
10-27-2000, 08:12 PM
I will do a square Tracey....Fabulous idea! I am also toying with the idea of getting a group together to maybe purchase a Rhyman guitar (Made from the wood from the old Opry, limited edition). What do you guys think of that? With enough people we would only need a couple of dollars each as a donation to the gift purchase.
<br>
<br>Mary LizN

kjsyong
10-27-2000, 08:24 PM
guys.. you know what!!
<br>
<br>all these are just great ideas...
<br>
<br>we havent got much time.. what need to be done? what is being suggested and prefered!!!
<br>
<br>would it be a christmas present or what??...
<br>
<br>(oh no.. i am losing my mind... @_@)
<br>
<br>KelN

Chris Gaines
10-27-2000, 08:51 PM
gonna be hard to get it to him.. knowing that he isn't scheduled at all for ntohing else till at least after the new year.
<br>
<br>and he'll be doing much traveling from Tulsa to Nashville.. ya never know when he'll be where.
<br>
<br>JasonN

Pilgrim
10-28-2000, 12:20 PM
Well I have never met the man:eek:
<br>
<br>BrianN

vjthedj
10-28-2000, 07:20 PM
I Love the idea and I would be glad to "Be a Square". I considered myself blessed to get a Garth moment and hug at ST. I would also make a square for my Granddaughters Garth moment.
<br>
<br>And Mary Liz, I DO want to pursue the Ryman Guitar for Garth. While in Nashville this week I went to the Ryman and saw the balcony where I sat as a child to see The Opry with my family. I have a polaroid picture made on the stage with My Mohter and Norma from England.
<br>
<br>Someone else has a post what would you give Garth and most post are things like love, peace, happiness, etc... These things we all want to give him, but I feel these are things that remind me of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz... He has to find these things within himself, we can't give him those things much as we want to. But as a physical thing to give him I think the Ryman guitar is a very appropriate token of our love and deep affection. Let me know if I can help in anyway!N

garthsgirl1
10-29-2000, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all of the responses that have been mailed to me... Looks like we are on our way to a great quilt.
<br> It was brought to my attention from Jason that I was excluding a lot of PGer's because some have not gotten a Garth Moment or if they have, may not have gotten pictures. So...
<br> If anyone would like to participate and do a square that would be embroidered, that would be great! The square could then be anything special about Da Man. It could be a guitar, a cowboy hat, a blue rose, SD Padres, NY Mets, Titles of his albums, dates and cities where you saw him in concert, things like that. Think of things that come to mind when you think of him.
<br> I didn't mean to exclude anyone, and I am sorry that I didn't think about that before hand. And for those that are not *crafty* but want to be involved, let me know... I can probably help you out.
<br> In the original post I put that I didn't want any paint... This is like "Puff Paint" and squeeze types... If you are a painter and can actually paint with a brush, then that would be fine to. I just find that the T-shirt type paints don't last very long.
<br> I have been asked how I will let everyone see this when it is done. I will be starting a web page so that each square can be viewed, and then the quilt, when it is completed.
<br> As far as getting it to Da Man. I am persistant. I would like to give it at Spring Training, but if he doesn't do it then I will think of a different time. I will keep everyone interested up to date as to when and where. And remember, he is not leaving the world, he is just not going to tour. It sounds like I will have several opportunities next year to get it to him :o)
<br>
<br> N

CheyenneWindRoper
10-29-2000, 07:08 PM
Tracey,
<br>I am bringing this one back up to the top. It is just too important to get buried. I also volunteer to help you in every and any way I can. I just love your idea and think Garth would be overwhelmed at the thought and originality!
<br>
<br>Valerie,
<br>Why don't you and I get together and let's get an exact price and get going on the Rhyman guitar!
<br>
<br>Either or both gifts, we can figure a way to get them to him, even if it means me having to drive them to Oklahoma or Tennesse. We CAN do these projects people! I BELIEVE!!!
<br>
<br>Who else is with us?
<br>
<br>Mary LizN

Chris Gaines
10-29-2000, 07:38 PM
Mary Liz,
<br>
<br>I dunno about that Guitar... Garth stated he had reasons he would never ever step foot inside the Rhyman as it's the "Church" of country music.
<br>
<br>He might feel the same about a guitar made from the flooring.
<br>
<br>ya know?
<br>
<br>Jason :)N

kjsyong
10-29-2000, 07:47 PM
Mary Liz..
<br>
<br>although i am far away from USA (let alone OK or TN).. but i am sure with your determinant.. you will achieve it!!! i support you all !!
<br>
<br>now.. how do able to get the "square" to you all??
<br>
<br>i just need some direction/guidance.. thanks in advance!!
<br>
<br>:)
<br>KelN

garthsgirl1
11-01-2000, 08:00 AM
OK everyone...
<br>The quilt squares are off to a good start, But we need more. So if you are interested at all in making a square for the quilt, e-mail me directly and let me know... garthsgirl1@yahoo.com I will keep in touch with you from then on, via e-mail, as to how things are proceding. I have already sent a post to those I have heard from to let them know where we are at currently.
<br>
<br>If you are not sure what exactly I am wanting, mail me and I will explain it more clearly. So as not to go on forever here. I need to hear from anyone interested by November 10th, so that I can then figure out what size squares we will be making. Don't worry about there being too many!! I can always do the front and the back and a quilt can be any size you want it to be.
<br>
<br>Mary Liz, thanks for getting this back to the top! Thanks for believing!!
<br>
<br>For those interested in the guitar, that is a separate idea, Mary Liz -CheyenneWindRoper will get with you on that...
<br>Great Idea BTW, I will get with you on it.
<br>
<br>Let's quilt!! You do the easy part and I will do the rest! I am not in this for just me, I want other's to do it with me and everyone will get a part of the recognition. I will come up with a card or something for us all to sign so that he knows that this came from joined hearts!
<br>
<br>A Believer for Life!
<br>Tracey N

garthsgirl
11-01-2000, 09:41 AM
Tracey, I just sent you an email saying I'm in. Hope to hear from you soon.
<br>
<br> LisaN

littlebit
11-02-2000, 02:14 PM
Tracey,
<br>
<br>My email for some reason will not get through to you. i was wondering if you could please email me?
<br>
<br>celtrice@earthlink.net
<br>
<br>take care,
<br>deAnnalynnN

Snow
11-02-2000, 03:29 PM
Hi... just sent you this e-mail plea for help! *lmao*
<br>
<br>I was just reading your post about the quilt. It sounds like a great idea and I'm interested. Now despite the fact that I come from a long line of quilters, seamstresses, and my mom is even an interior decorator... I'm extremely CRAFT-HANDICAPPED! I'm lucky to sew on a button that has popped off! *lol* I'm just missing that needle and thread gene in my DNA. When we moved to the arctic and needed curtains (no store in the village that sold anything).. all I had available was material. I HOT GLUED a set of curtains! Heck... they even had pleats!
<br>
<br>Anyway... to make a long story short... I want to do a square.... but I'll need detailed instructions and a big pep talk! Okay? *lmao*
<br>
<br>Ok... send directions... and material criteria... simple enough for a child please. :-)
<br>
<br>Ok.. so I can dissect a frog, handle snakes well enough to make the crock hunter proud, synthesize asprin in the lab, and explain what the heck E=MC2 means... but I can't sew... SO HELPPPPPP!N

garthsgirl1
11-04-2000, 05:46 AM
Hey everyone!
<br>
<br>Just bringing this back to the top... I have 23 people that are going to be "a square". Hope more of you will join in the fun!
<br>
<br>littlebit, just got your message, will e-mail you now.
<br>
<br>Come on everybody... BE A SQUARE!!
<br>
<br>Tracey N

AZamy77
11-05-2000, 09:35 PM
I'd love to be a square! :) Hey Huey Lewis said "It's hip to be square!" LOL Count me in!
<br>
<br>Amy :)N

garthsgirl1
11-06-2000, 05:58 PM
Hey Amy,
<br>
<br>So glad that you want to be a square... but e-mail me at:
<br>
<br>garthsgirl1@yahoo.com
<br>
<br>That way I can put you on my list for the updates... I have everyone in a seperate address book for easy access.
<br>
<br>ANY ONE ELSE WANT TO BE A SQUARE?!?!?!?!?
<br>
<br>N

ProducerJ
01-04-2003, 01:51 AM
Hey - I'm bringing up this archaic thread for a reason, LOL. :)

Someone told me that Tracy had gotten this quilt finished and delivered it to Garth before Christmas! This was like the VERY FIRST Garth project I'd ever been involved in... I wasn't on PG back then, but found Tracy through the Garthbox. She used to send these cute email updates with subjects like "It's hip to be square!" I saw a jpg. of my square - Mary Liz did it with one of her iron on transfers - and some of the others she'd done, but I had never heard that the whole thing was ever put together.

Does anyone know if Tracy is still around online? I'd been told she'd been going through some personal stuff for a while and everything else was put on hold. If anyone knows her, or if she ever did do a website for the quilt, I'd love to see the finished product!

Thanks
J.

jstensig
01-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Ahhh - back in the good old days. :)

Jakob

Paula
01-05-2003, 10:06 PM
This is SO weird. I was cleaning out some of my email the other day and came across some email exchanges on this project. I sent an email to Tracey on January 1 asking her if the quilt ever got finished and delivered to Garth and also asked her if she ever put the squares up on a site. I haven't heard back from her yet.

Paula

ProducerJ
01-05-2003, 10:49 PM
That is wierd Paula! I don't have my old emails, but I think she was off line for quite a while. I figured she might have a new email from when she was a PGer but maybe you'll hear from her yet.

She wasn't around PG much, so I guess it was a long shot. I may try to post the the Garthbox as well.

J.

garth_fan183
01-06-2003, 01:55 AM
I was wandering what ever happened with the gutar.
i know the quilt is a unsloved mysterie, but did anything happen whit the gutar? Just wandering

Jason

Paula
01-06-2003, 08:48 AM
Jason, I'm not sure I understand what guitar you are talking about. Oops, never mind. I went back and re-read this thread (it was so long ago that it was posted). I didn't read the whole thread but assume the end result was never posted. I seem to remember that the cost of the guitar was a little outside our league...something like $6,000.

By the way, welcome to PG. Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Paula

CountryBee
01-07-2003, 12:03 AM
I hope that everyone has found and read the thread regarding donations to Garth's Teammates for Kids Foundation in honor of Garth's Birthday. Monica L. is handling the donations this year. PG'ers are giving the donations in place of trying to buy one big gift from all of us. We have probably donated more money to Garth's Foundation than we could have ever raised to buy any gift. I'll bet that Garth appreciates our donations to his Foundation more than any gift we could collectively give him. But, I too, hope that Tracy was able to finish her quilt and deliver it to Garth.
Bee