PDA

View Full Version : I think it's time everyone cheered up!!

meli
10-26-2000, 06:18 PM
Hi guys--
<br>
<br>I'm a new member here, though I've lurked in here for awhile, so I guess it's gonna be rather presumptious of myself to post this topic.
<br>
<br>In reading responses today to Garth's announcement, I've been struck by the amount of sadness and depression among the fans over his decision. Pardon me if this sounds a little rough, but SNAP OUT OF IT!!!
<br>
<br>Ladies and gentlemen, Garth only announced today he wouldn't be an active touring or recording artist anymore. So what does that mean, exactly? Okay, maybe no more new full-length CD's past the one he's scheduled for 2001, but who said he wouldn't guest star on other CD's, like the planned collaboration with New Grass Revival? "Retired" rock stars do that all the time. Plus there are video compilations to release and repackage, and there's enough unreleased material I think from 10 years worth of CD's to make up at least one more CD of "undiscovered classics" on its own. It could be well into the new decade (at least 2005 or so) before anyone notices the new material is drying up.
<br>
<br>As for Garth's future...I'd like to think he's keeping all his options open. Remember that Garth has transcended the country music artist label and has become an ENTERTAINER. It would not surprise me to see Garth writing movie soundtracks (especially if WYCBTMA ends up being nominated for Best Song honors at the Golden Globes or the Oscars). Then there's Red Strokes the production company, which could easily develop ideas for TV shows. And Garth himself said he'd like to do a few TV specials, which I don't think NBC would complain about. Strangely enough, I think moving into the entertainment field as opposed to staying in country music might provide a more flexible schedule for him, which would enable him to keep making the kids his top priority. And who's to say he won't make the occasional appearance at a charity function? He's already decided to keep his Opry membership, which means performing once or twice a year, and that's a MAJOR CONCESSION to where he was earlier this year, when he implied there would be no more performances of any kind. I find it odd that he's been lying low for the better part of a year, and yet we've probably been more visible this year than in the last few.
<br>
<br>So, everyone to quote one of my favorite literary characters, Charlotte the Spider from "Charlotte's Web"--pull yourself together, chin up! I for one am excited as hell over all this, because for the first time this year I've felt like the dance isn't over. He's simply changing the steps.
<br>
<br>Love,
<br>meliN

CaptMorgan
10-26-2000, 06:32 PM
Welcome Meli!
<br>
<br>I don't think you're being presumptious at all for speaking your mind. That's exactly what these forums are all about.
<br>
<br>That is a very refreshing way of looking at the press conference from today, and I think you might have given some people food for thought.
<br>
<br>I sure hope you're going to keep posting - I enjoyed reading your thoughts.
<br>
<br>Catch y'all around the next bend...N

kristen166
10-26-2000, 06:38 PM
Didn't Garth even say he will still be involved in other things? And that he will always still do the Opry? So he will still sing periodically right?:)
<br>
<br>Welcome:cool:N

kjsyong
10-26-2000, 07:52 PM
I was sad on the first time i hear the audio cast from the now OFFICIAL Garth Brooks website... (YEAH!!)
<br>
<br>then i rerun it again.... i feel happier as GArth has return from his vacation being a father!!! God Bless you Garth...
<br>
<br>Kel.N

angelamccann
10-27-2000, 12:20 AM
Hear, hear, Meli (say Hi to Jo for me) - I'm seeing nothing but positive messages in what Garth is saying. He can do whatever makes him happy - didn't I say something last week to you about the kind of things he could do and I'd still want to cross the Atlantic to see him? Guess I'd better not post that here though - he might be reading :)
<br>
<br>He's changing the music - how apt. The dance never ends - hey, I saw that on a flag somewhere last weekend - oh, that's right, it was on mine...!
<br>
<br>Angela xN

SweetGBFan
10-27-2000, 12:49 AM
Retirement is always made to come out of too! Look at Kenny Rogers. He hadnt made a record in a zillion years, but he was visible in movies and specials and stuff and now he has made 2 new albums this year. Garth always has the option to come out of retirement at any time.I see that happening as the girls get older. Forever, is a very long time. Who would like to see Garth on the big screen???N

SummerWind
10-27-2000, 02:56 PM
Hi Meli!
<br> Welcome and thanks for a Great Post!
<br>
<br>JennyN

minnesotagbfan
10-27-2000, 10:52 PM
i havent reached the point where i have cheered up yet
<br>
<br>N