PDA

View Full Version : Press Confrence Article

Jen19
10-26-2000, 11:03 AM
Garth Brooks Holds Press Conference Announcing Future Plans
<br>NASHVILLE, Tenn.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Oct. 26, 2000--Garth Brooks held a press conference this morning to announce his future career plans. What follows is a question and answer discussion of the main points he made during the conference.
<br>
<br>Q: Last December you said that you would make an announcement late this year about possible retirement. Is this the time for that announcement?
<br>
<br>Brooks: First, I'd like to say that I'm very proud that I accomplished my goal for this year, which was to step back from business and take time working on my family relationships and thinking about my future. What I've decided is that I need to be home with my kids. So you know, what we planned to do was release something at the end of this year to tell the people `thank you.' Then, when the Time-Warner/EMI merger was being discussed, all those plans were put on hold. Now, I think the time is right for me to go on with that project, then wrap things up from a music standpoint at the end of 2001.
<br>
<br>Q: So there will be a new album?
<br>
<br>Brooks: My manager Bob Doyle has been working on me for a year and believed that we owed the people another record. So I thought on it for a year, and I've agreed to attempt one. The target release date will be Mother's Day or Father's Day of 2001. We'll be watching ``Wild Horses'' and see how my music fits with today's country format.
<br>
<br>Q: ``Wild Horses'' is your next single?
<br>
<br>Brooks: Yes. I went in and re-cut the vocals in a version we're giving solely to country radio on November 20. It's to celebrate the 10-year anniversary and re-release of No Fences. It's my way of saying, ``Who says you can't change the past?'' because I always wanted this song as a single. It's gonna be fun. It'll be interesting to see how radio responds to ``Wild Horses,'' to see if what I believe is good country music is what radio believes is good country music. The truth is, I'll be checking to see if I can even get close to bringing them something they'd want in the new album. If it works, ``Wild Horses'' will be a bridge between the past, and the future album.
<br>
<br>Q: Tell us about your plan for re-issuing the catalog.
<br>
<br>Brooks: The first six albums in our career will be re-issued on November 21, which is the first time they've been available since 1997. Each album contains an additional song that wasn't on the originally released version. Of those additional songs, I'm especially proud of ``To Make You Feel My Love,'' which can be found on the new version of Fresh Horses. In fact, this is the only place that song is currently available, since the Hope Floats sound track is no longer in production.
<br>
<br>Q: What about taking your music to the internet? You've been very outspoken in the past about your concerns over piracy and the ease with which music is copied and distributed via the internet, with no compensation to writers and publishers.
<br>
<br>Brooks: We are in very serious discussions with the label about protecting our music, while providing for the market the internet is bringing the format. I don't think any of us thinks that to ask full retail price on the internet is a fair thing. People who are into purchasing music on the internet have to purchase their own blank CD's, and for now they don't get the art that accompanies the album, so therefore it only makes sense that it shouldn't be at full retail price. The whole time we searched the answers out in this area, we kept in mind the relationships that we have established with the retailers, knowing they were our lifeline before the internet even became an option.
<br>
<br>Q: Right now, you don't have an ``official'' web site, yet there are plenty of sites devoted to you and your music. One of the more detailed and up-to-date sites is Planet Garth.com. Are you familiar with it?
<br>
<br>[b]Brooks: Yes, and even though my relationship with Brandon and the Planet Garth web site is still brand new, the history of the site has shown nothing less than class and quality. That's why we are asking Brandon and Planet Garth to bring this press conference to our people first. Our people have waited a year for this announcement, and we appreciate Brandon and Planet Garth for being able to bring it to them first.[b]
<br>
<br>
<br>N

Jen19
10-26-2000, 11:05 AM
Here is anothor article
<br>
<br>
<br>Garth Brooks Announces Retirement
<br>(10/27/00, 2 p.m. ET) - Garth Brooks announced his retirement earlier today (October 26) in Nashville, on the eve of the celebration honoring him for one of the biggest milestones in music history.
<br>
<br>"I can only be as honest as I can be," he said at a press conference. "I don't know how else to say it. I am here to announce my retirement. It is a thing that I feel good about. I feel that what I am trading it for is more important at this point in my life--which I never thought that I would find anything that would be that important--your relationship to your children is to anybody who is a parent out there. So, today we start a new life."
<br>
<br>Brooks will be honored at a black-tie event this evening (October26) in Nashville for his accomplishment as the first solo artist in RIAA (Recording Industry Association Of America) history to reach sales of 100 million units.
<br>
<br>In making the announcement, Brooks confirmed plans to record another album but stressed that he would prefer it not be referred to as "the last album" or a "farewell album" and instead wanted the project to stand alone on artistic merit. A tentative release date for the album is Mother's Day (May 13) or Father's Day (June 17) 2001.
<br>
<br>While some have doubted Brooks' intention of leaving the music business, the singer clarified what the term "retirement" means to him. "I think what retirement means for me is country music as you know Garth Brooks -- touring, the artist. One of the things that is still left undone for me that I'd love to do is the duet album with Ms. [ Trisha] Yearwood, but will that happen? That's something that, you know, you'll have to think about."
<br>
<br>While the door for Brooks to resume his career will always be open, the singer said that possibility is highly unlikely. "If you take time off and then try and jump back in and do it again, you might think you're doing as good as you were, but, truth is, you're not, and you owe much more to music than that, so my thing that I'm really looking forward to do after this coming year is over is writing, especially screen play writing -- that is, for movies -- but that's stuff that I can do after I drop my kids off at school and I can work at it at home and do my stuff there," said Brooks. "The stuff that I'm pulling away from is the stuff that takes me away from home."
<br>
<br>In conjunction with the 10-year-anniversary of Brooks album No Fences, Capitol Records will release "Wild Horses" off of the project as a single to radio.
<br>
<br>-- Jennifer Gerlock and Margy Holland, Nashville
<br>
<br>N

Jude
10-26-2000, 11:09 AM
Thanks.
<br>
<br>Great that he recognises PG
<br>
<br>JudeN

Jen19
10-26-2000, 11:09 AM
One more thing..LOL there are two new pics up at yahoo
<br>
<br>http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/news?p=Garth+Brooks&n=20&c=news_photos
<br>
<br>JEN
<br>
<br>N

kristen166
10-26-2000, 11:34 AM
Is there any article that has the whole interview in print, I would just like to see the whole thing but I can't listen to it. I would just like to see the parts I doubt they stick in articles like how he said he wanted to still play the opry and stuff.:) N

bsaanh
10-26-2000, 11:42 AM
Thank you for posting the articles, I copied them into an email to the kx104 in North Platte Nebraska. I hope that they are nice about it. I have not heard them say anything about it yet, but they are really slow.
<br>
<br>I would also like to read a transcript or find an archive to listen to the press confernce. I was unable to listen because I had to get my butt of to work.
<br>
<br>BryanN

LVGB4EVER
10-26-2000, 12:56 PM
WOOOHOOOO Brandon
<br>
<br>That is SOOOOO COOL :)
<br>
<br>I am so very Proud of you and PG :)
<br>
<br>Thanks for making this place the BEST place to be :)
<br>
<br>Take Care
<br>Sue ;)N

LVGB4EVER
10-26-2000, 12:58 PM
:( Jen 19 I can't get that link to work???? :(
<br>
<br>Please help :(
<br>
<br>Sue N

Pilgrim
10-26-2000, 02:26 PM