PDA

View Full Version : any ideas where this came from?

Charles
10-18-2000, 04:18 PM
a friend of mine sent me this in email and I have no idea where he got it from but i was hoping someone could fill me in.......
<br>
<br>it starts out with garth talking about different message songs and how it takes guts to right them as well as artists to record them. then he goes into a very cool melody of some songs. Since I don't know all the names to the songs, i wrote out the lyrics:
<br>
<br>Has anybody here seen my old friend john can u tell me where he's gone
<br>he freed a lot of people ain't it funny how the good they die young
<br>I just turned around and he was gone
<br>
<br>has anybody here seen my old friend martin can u tell me where he's gone
<br>he freed a lot of people lord the good they die young
<br>I just turned around and he was gone
<br>
<br>Virgil Cane is my name they drove on the Danville train
<br>then Stonewall's calvary came and tore up the tracks again
<br>it was the winter of 65 we were hungry just barely alive
<br>I took the train into Richmond that fell it was a night I remember it oh so well
<br>the night they drove old dixie down yeah all the bells were ringing
<br>yeah the night they drove old dixie down all the people were singing
<br>they went na na na na na na na na..................
<br>
<br>I see fields of green and red roses too flowers who bloomed for just me and you
<br>and I say to myself what a wonderful world
<br>I see skies of blue and clouds of white bright this day in the dark sacred night
<br>and I say to myself what a wonderful world
<br>
<br>love is but a song we sing , fear is how we die
<br>you can make the mountains ring or make the angels cry
<br>come on people now smile on your brother everybody get together try to love one another right now
<br>come on people now smile on your brother everybody get together try to love one another right now
<br>
<br>long long time ago , I can still remember when the music used to make me smile
<br>and I knew if I had my chance I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while
<br>February made me shiver with every paper I delivered bad news on the doorstep
<br>I couldn't take one more step. And I cant remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride
<br>but something touched me deep inside the day the music died
<br>we were singing
<br>bye bye miss American pie , drove my chevy to the levy but the levy was dry them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye singing this will be the day that I die.
<br>This will be the day that I die......
<br>
<br>
<br>any ideas where this came from? i thought it was pretty cool!N

sasteen
10-18-2000, 04:38 PM
I think it was either, "Man of the Year" or some VH1 program that he sang these songs, American Pie to honor Don McClean and so on for the other songs.N

hugeGBnutt
10-18-2000, 04:44 PM
actually Garth did that at "The Concert Of The Century"(For VH1 Save The Music) in late Oct. of last year (1999), it was reallllly good, probably one of my fav Garth performances ever!:):)
<br>
<br>aRi<P>(This message has been edited by hugeGBnutt)N

loreli
10-18-2000, 05:12 PM
I loved that performance too. :)
<br>
<br>Funny that he got the largest reaction from the audience with Right Now. :)
<br>
<br>Lori :)N

Pilgrim
10-19-2000, 02:03 PM
Cool:):)
<br>
<br>BrianN