PDA

View Full Version : Garth - writing

Hawk7lte
05-26-2000, 08:00 PM
1)Can someone tell me of one song/thing that they know of that Garth wrote completely on his own (ie without a co-writer)?<P>2)Does anyone know if Garth does the musical compositions for his songs? Any that he did <BR>on his own (ie without a co-writer)?<P><BR>Thanks for the information.<P><BR>HawkN

Charles
05-26-2000, 08:24 PM
right off the top of my head, 3 come to mind that Garth wrote all by himself and recorded:<P>Mr. Right (from The Chase)<BR>Not Counting You (from Garth Brooks)<BR>Which one of Them (from the Limited Series)<P>There could be more, but these are just the ones I can think of off the top of my headN

Cheryl
05-26-2000, 08:30 PM
By himself: Not Counting You, Which One of Them, Mr. Right. It's hard to tell how much of the writing he does on the other songs, because he <I>always</I> list his own name last. I dont think I've ever heard him talking about putting the lyrics to music or visa versa....whether one comes before the other or they both happen at the same time. Except for Belleau Wood, I think he said that he wrote the music after finding the poem.N

hugeGBnutt
05-26-2000, 10:54 PM
ok i did a search on "ascap" and this is what i found(including un-released songs)....<BR>songs that Garth wrote himself...<P>(un-released)<BR>Chase <BR>If I Can't Fix This Broken Heart<BR>Don't Forget Where You Come From<BR>Face In A Crowd<BR>No One<BR>I Don't Want To Know<P>(released)<BR>Which One Of Them Will Be You<BR>Mr. Right<BR>Not Counting You<P>....now this is where it gets tricky, the following songs ascap lists as solo Garth written songs BUT the cds state otherwise.....<BR>How You Ever Gonna Know(???)<BR>We Shall Be Free(???)<BR>That Ole Wind(???)<BR>Rollin'(???)<BR>Somewhere Other Than The Night(???)<P>.....also ascap has Garth as the 'writer' of "Friendly Beasts", "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Silent Night", and "What Child Is This"....and i KNOW Garth didn't write them ...BUT, on "Beyond The Seasons" it says <B>arranged</B> by Garth Brooks....what exactly does that mean?, why would that make him the 'writer'?(assuming thats why ascap lists him as writer)<P>also....<BR>i'm sure Garth has written WAY more songs then these, do <B>all</B> songs that a writer(Garth) writes get 'given'(can't think of a better word) to ascap, or just songs that they decide to give, or have copyrighted?<BR>(can anyone fill me in of any of this cause i'm confused :o)<P>aRi N

Snow
05-26-2000, 11:34 PM
I did the same search as aRi at ASCAP and got the same result.<P>I think it's funny that Garth (the song writer) is listed as Troyal Garth Brooks... but Garth the performer is listed there as either Garth Brooks or G Brooks.<P>I think the question as to why Troyal Garth Brooks is listed as the writer of songs such as "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Go Tell It On The Mountain", "What Child is This", etc. is that he is the writer of that particular musical arrangement of the song.<P>On those songs and on the ones where he is listed as the sole writer... he wrote the song (as sung) and the the basic musical arrangement as well. Usually the musician writes the basic musical composition (lyrics and music)... but when it comes to sheet music (if needed) for the complete band that will perform on the recording... they usually have someone do the basic transpotions for each of the instruments.<P>Usually though... a writer can just write the general melody and description of the musical aspects of the song... then while recording the members of the band can add their parts in by ear or by direction of the director, writer, performer, producer, etc.N

Hawk7lte
05-27-2000, 10:44 AM
You guys are so gooooooood at this. Thanks.<P>I was curious about Garth's writing style and use of words when writing by himself. Every writer has a customary/habitual way of using words and things they like to do. <P>And since I knew he doesn't read music - I was wondering how he does the compositions. But his memory, ear, and feel for the way a song should sound is just so good. Someone else must "write" it down for him.<P>Of course I'm also curious about who wrote the music and decided upon the various instruments for the new song, "When You come back to Me"<P>There is a horn or flute in it a couple of times (once in the very beginning and once toward the ending verse) and I don't remember hearing those instruments in his arrangements before. Kinda a haunting, floating, two noted pitch or sound that does a really good job at setting the mood or tone of the piece - just short and softer than "eerie".<P>Usually I hear guitar(s) (of course); drums; cymbals; piano; keyboard (?); violin (Hi Jimmy); harmonica; - and what else have you all noticed?<P><BR>HawkN

Pilgrim
05-27-2000, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the info everybody ;)<P>BrianN

Paula
05-27-2000, 05:40 PM
Ari,<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>....now this is where it gets tricky, the following songs ascap lists as solo Garth written songs BUT the cds state otherwise.....<BR>How You Ever Gonna Know(???)<BR>We Shall Be Free(???)<BR>That Ole Wind(???)<BR>Rollin'(???)<BR>Somewhere Other Than The Night(???)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>These songs were probably co-written by songwriters who are affiliated with other songwriters' organizataions, such as BMI. At the BMI site, the songs they list show all the writers and give their affiliation, but the ASCAP site only lists the writers that are affiliated with them.<P>PaulaN

AmazedByChris
05-27-2000, 07:59 PM
Paul McCartney can't read music either. I saw him talking about his 'Requiem'; it seems there are now computer programs into which you can play music and they will transpose it into written music. <P>Before that, I think people used tapes a lot.N

Leigh11
05-27-2000, 08:32 PM
I thought on the Donny and Marie when they talked about him not reading music, that Garth said that we would never see anything written by him alone for that reason???N

Snow
05-28-2000, 12:28 AM
Many talented writers can't read music. They just have someone write it down for them. That person doesn't have to be listed as a co-writer because it mainly a technical job and not a creative one.<P>Writers often do work with others to create a song though... such as Garth has done. It gives them feedback and more ideas on direction. I think Garth worked with Yates on the new song. Didn't they do a wonderful job?<P>Sometimes they have an idea for a song... but don't have the time or the inspiration to come up with it on their own... so then they work with someone else. I remember Garth talking about certain songs where he's done that.<P>But Garth has said several times that he loves writing songs... and if he retires that it is something he's going to spend more time on.<P>I'm always curious about that creative process... and wonder about who put what in and stuff like that.N

Hawk7lte
05-29-2000, 06:03 AM
Snow "creativity" and "creative people" are one of my areas of specialization - One of my first loves in my career. Really its amazing to me by now as to how many creative people I have worked with in various ways.<P>Hense the question. Yet, most artists work alone. If Garth is going to develop on his own as a writer - then I wondered how happy he would be doing that. He has the traits of many writers - yet, he is someone whose creativity is stimulated by being in front of a crowd. He seems to need that more than most writers actually (Like what happens when a good teacher is lecturing - and suddenly there's a new idea, a new connection - do you remember those moments, isn't it a wonderful natural high?). So I was wondering if the solidarity that goes with good writing i.e. the writing, studying language, polishing, complete involvement with only the product would suit him?<P>It looks as though he prefers either to work with others - or/and to give credit where credit is due even when it is perhaps a very small (like a one line) contribution.<P>HawkN

fuzzwuzz55
05-29-2000, 05:32 PM
I read somewhere Garth likes writers. Has anyone noticed how he seems to take another writer's song, and makes it his own, whether he helped write it or not? And, as it's obvious to me, Chris Gaines gives Garth the best writers he's ever had! The best is still yet to come with "The Lamb" soundtrack!N