PDA

View Full Version : Be Totally Honest and Tell Me What You Think

SweetGBFan
05-24-2000, 04:30 PM
Okay I have a question and I want everyone to be really honest before they answer this question. Do you think Garth has lost his mass audience appeal because of Chris Gaines and all the stuff with Equality Rocks and the bad press, and if he was to do one more tour do you think he will still sell out crowds? Answer what you honestly feel and not just because we are die hard Garth fans. I myself dont know. I hope he still sells out crowds and I will love Garth no matter what, but I am afraid that all the crap that has gone on over the last year, what with the stupid press and all, I am afraid that it has hurt him. I truly hope not, cause when it comes to Garth I feel like a mother protecting her baby, and I hate to see anything at all bad said about Garth. Makes me so mad I could spit, but Im just not sure if the so called fans are still there for him. So tell me what you all think. Be honest.N

hugeGBnutt
05-24-2000, 05:17 PM
Well i donno, but this is not the 1st time that Garth has survived bad press, controversy, ect. i.e. "We Shall Be Free", label fights, Fresh Horses......but honestly i don't know, like one media person said (talking about Garth)....<B>"He knows, like Madonna to a certain extent, how to market himself and how to stay just controversial enough without offending his core audience."</B> .....but i don't want to think about that because i don't want to know.....<P>aRi<BR>N

no1cowgirl
05-24-2000, 05:46 PM
Well, to be totally honest with you. No. All singers loose fans from time to time. But us true Garth fans are true garth fans. Garth has an ENORMOUS world-wide fan base. And you can't deny that. Bad press? Well, I dunno about that. The only bad press was criticism of the CG project. Personally, I don't know what will happen, but I know that Garth won't die from a little bad press. That's not gonna happen. I don't know otherwise. Garth is a survivor....and he can survive almost anything, and you know what? He will survive this some way or another. Just my 7 cents. <P>KristaN

nelty
05-24-2000, 05:57 PM
We are talking about Garth. There is nothing that he will do that will CHASE all his fans away but to have MORE fans. Everything he does for the past... what? 11 years have been favorable. Sure, he makes mistake once in a while but he got back on his feet.<P>Going to the ER concert, proved that he meant it when he wrote, "We shall be free". and CHRIS GAINES is just a MOVIE CHARACTER. It's no different from Harrison Ford playing a president role or Mel Gibson playing a role of a cop or a warrior.<P>SO.... what I am saying. if you are a true Garth fan and know what and who Garth is, you will not doubt what he does. <P>These 2 things should show us, that Garth meant what he said and having fun doing other things. Remember, he's taught that he can be anything he want to be. AND He don't have to ask permission to do anything. <P>Nelly<BR>N

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
05-24-2000, 05:59 PM
I think that Garth will sell out arena's as long as he tours! Garth's fan base is solid. Those so called fans that hopped off the band wagon because of the Chris Gaines project were never true fans to begin with. Even if they didn't like the Chris Gaines project, they still could have been loyal to his country music. <P>I agree with Krista about the bad press...what bad press?? Maybe the Chris Gaines project didn't sell as well as Garth had hoped, but by no means did it flop! I didn't hear any bad press from his Equality Rocks appearance. I did hear many kudos though! <P>Garth has had ups and downs in his career and has always come back on top. I think with all the fan base out there all over the world...(and especially in Denmark.. ;) Brian) there will be a great demand for Garth in the future. <P>We can't get enough of him!! :D<P>Just my 7 cents! <P>Monica N

SeaGBfan
05-24-2000, 06:04 PM
In my honest opinion, I think that Garth is not as popular as he once was but that is to be expected. He hasn't put out a new counrty album in a while and that is to be expected. The Chris Gaines thing didn't work to well, but at least he tried. I think that he has a big core audience out there though. You do not sell out cities for four to six days straight without a huge following! He could tour on his existing music for twenty years and be succesful, I think. If he wants to grow more though he needs to produce some more music. It is his choice. I for one am hoping for a new album! Who knows what the future brings? <P>MaryN

klee201
05-24-2000, 06:09 PM
Garth knows how to create interest in his career and music. Everytime he was on a talk show and talked about the R word, he created mystery, and we wanted to hear more. <BR>The true fans will hang with him through anything. We are all still here everyday talking about him. Am I right?<BR>I don't think he lost fans, so much as some of them got tired of all the hype about when or if he is retiring.<BR>KathyN

GRTH FAN
05-24-2000, 08:55 PM
I think Garth is as popular as he was in the beginning, and that he will always sell out his concerts!! The True Believers don't listen to the BULL from Media unless Garth says it, or someone that he's close to!! He has my support for THE LONG HAUL!!<BR>Donna :)N

angelamccann
05-24-2000, 10:05 PM
I don't think the Chris Gaines project should be written off yet - it's a slow burner but in the long run could prove to be one of the best things for his career. Who knows?<P>When an artist is out of the public eye it's inevitable that their fan base will dwindle a little, as the majority of the record-buying public are a fickle bunch and will tend to focus on whoever's getting the most publicity at the moment! This doesn't mean Garth is fading for good - he's taking a back seat and if and when he comes back he'll be all the stronger for it.<P>One thing that I don't think people realise it that Chris Gaines has actually inspired new Garth fans too - I'm one, for example - and a lot of us newbies came from outside the country music scene and got addicted to Garth through Chris!<P>Angela xN

major tom
05-24-2000, 10:49 PM
I agree with Angela regarding the Chris Gaines project it might be a "slow burner" but it is gaining new fans for GB. I know people who can't stand country music but love Chris Gaines.<P>KirstyN

honky
05-24-2000, 11:05 PM
Ummmm.... this is very interesting question :) I have been thinking about this for a while because of the lack of rotation of the new song on my station!! :(<P><BR>Well, I think Garth has lost some fans because of Chris Gaines and his support of Equality Rocks. There are several people whom I had talked to do not like the idea of Chris Gaines. Although they are not the DIEHARD fans, they do buy Garth's albums. If Garth persists to continue Chris Gaines and put his country stuff aside, Garth will eventually suffer from this :( Honestly, not everyone is supportive of Chris Gaines, so those diehard country fans will be pissed (or have been pissed). I just hope that Garth could have a new album with KICK-ASS hits!! :D :D And only by then, we could tell if there is still a huge fan base for Garth. <P>As for those who dislike the idea of Equality Rocks, I don't really care for... if they can't see the equality in all human beings, then that's there problem ;) I for one am happy about Garth standing up for what he believes in :)<P><BR>Garth does not have a No.1 hit for nearly 2 years, so I am a bit worried about his fan base :o<P><BR>TommyN

Teach
05-25-2000, 05:05 AM
Please look at what has happened with the new song that has not even been released. This song is being requested and has made it on the charts. I truly believe that GB will sell out any concerts and will have #1 hits again if he wants this. :DN

Hawk7lte
05-25-2000, 05:42 AM
Lost some of his mass audience appeal? - personally, I hope so. Some of the fans included in that "mass audience" should be lost - some aren't interested in the music - some just jumped on the bandwagon for awhile because it was the "fad" thing to do, some behaved in ways that weren't good for anyone including Garth and the people around him, some just wanted to use him to make some money for themselves, some made it difficult to impossible for Garth and his family to move around and have the "normal" life style they want, some were so critically judgemental they were harmful, and some were stalkers (that's typical of the "mass audience".) <P>Sell out crowds on a tour - bet your life on it - any day he wanted - but that's not what he wants anymore. 1) Any "tour" would be small and limited 2) Any "tour" would be short 3) Any "tour" would be in a smaller place. If he decides on the final hurrah party - then he may settle into some novel idea that will allow for a "John Denver" smaller audience setting but quality/finely planned performances; for example - each with a surprise musical focus or theme for example. But most of the time - I think he'll chose to work on writing.<P>The media - the media's responses are shortlived, old news isn't news. Many are based on sensationlism value - and Garth has learned how to deal with that.<P>Gaines, still to be completed - and many voting hands involved with making that pie. For the movie to succeed it must focus in on one/two really strong - important point(s) (not too many ideas all at once). Each of the ideas presented would make a movie if done right. The accident and the relationship with the fan are probably the most important. Too many complex ideas at once will confuse the plot. As I'd like to see a film focus on the positive/negative aspects of "fanhood" I really would like to see the film produced - ironic since that's what has primarily built/stifled interest in the film.<P>Hurt him - not to worry - at this time he has made the choices that in the long run will solidify his sense of self, his life, his family and his career.<P>The foundation that all of this is built on is rock strong and long lasting.<P>HawkN

pldrw
05-25-2000, 05:45 AM
All Really great singers get bad press sometimes!! And some deserve sometimes ( exp Geogre Jones) But i Think in the long run the Chris Gaines Thing will turn out alright! :)N

ALI
05-25-2000, 10:13 AM
HONESTLY? NO!<P>THE NEW SONG, THE SOLD OUT "IN HOURS" CONCERTS, THE PEOPLE WHO HURT WHEN GARTH IS BASHED(THE FANS)-IT ALL MAKES SENSE. WE DO NOT NEED TO LOOK FURTHER THAN THE NEWEST SONG WHICH WILL NOT BE RELEASED AS A SINGLE TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.<BR>I THINK GARTH HAS NOT LOST HIS APPEAL, BUT HONESTLY, HE PROBABLY DOES NOT WANT US TO TIRE OF HIM. ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER! IF WE HAVE HIM AT OUR FINGERTIPS every DAY, WE MAY TIRE OF HIM BEING TOO COMMON. FRANKLY, IT SOUNDS WONDERFUL TO ME!<P>BUT HE EXCELS IN MARKETING, AND AS LONG AS HE IS AROUND, THE FANS WILL ALWAYS WANT HIM.<BR>TAKE ANOTHER EXAMPLE, SPRING TRAINING...NEED I SAY MORE, SO MANY TRAVELLED TO SEE HIM FROM NEAR AND FAR and HE WASN'T EVENING SINGING!!<BR>GREAT QUESTION THO, PROVOKES SOME SERIOUS THINKING!<BR>ALISONN

Pilgrim
05-25-2000, 02:35 PM
I agree with Krista and Monice :D<P>I don't think the situation is that bad :)<BR>I will still wait on him here in DK ;)<P>A lot of other stars have also lost fans.<BR>Some lose fans because they are doing bad things (Michael Jackson and his obsessive urge to be in the same room with small kids) and some lose fans because they are doing something good (Garth and his equality rock appearance).<P>Hey! Springsteen also lost fans when he pointed out that "Born In The U.S.A." wasn't meant as an patriotic song but as an anti-Vietnam war song.<BR>He lost even more fans when he decided to quit the E Street Band and make a "country" album.<P>I don'<BR>t think Garth has anything to fear :D<P>Brian :D<B>8000</B> :DN

Pilgrim
05-25-2000, 02:37 PM
*LOL* Sorry Monic<B>a</B> :o<P>BrianN

Snow
05-25-2000, 02:48 PM
Nope.<P>I'm pretty sure that if Garth announced an arena concert was in the works... it would still sell out in minutes.<P>If Garth put out a 'Garth' album it would sell like hotcakes.<P>I think a great many were confused by the Chris Gaines concept... but I don't think he lost any real fans over it. It was just that some of the country fans didn't know what to think of it and did buy it. The pop fans didn't believe he could sing anything but country and didn't buy it.<P>I never heard anything bad about the Chris Gaines CD from anyone that actually listened to it (and wasn't a professional critic).<P>To show you how much clout the MAN still has. He's been out of the main spotlight for quite a bit now... but everytime he sneezes... it still shows up in the country and other music reports and tabloids. Not a has been surely.<P>I think the old pharse... "The only bad press is no press." applies by the barrel to Garth. An he's certainly still getting press.N

fuzzwuzz55
05-25-2000, 05:07 PM
Chris gained this new fan for Garth, and you can bet things will turn around for Chris G. when his movie "The Lamb" comes out. If Garth is hurt by anything these days, perhaps it is because too few who claim to love him all these years took him up on his offer for this ride with Chris too. Garth believes in Chris' music and message so much, but few take the time to really listen to what he is telling us with Chris Gaines. <BR> He is a man who does what he's gotta do. The man literally busts down doors no human has ever walked through before, and if we are so supportive of him as we say, then why does it seem he is standing on his own taking the heat all the time? And why oh why do his eyes betray his loneliness? And I'm not talking simply about the loss of his Mom. That new song and video "When You Come Back To Me again" seems directed at us as well. <BR> With Garth it's obvious with all he does; TIMING is everything! And there is always a deep personal reason why he does what he's gotta do. I hope we have learned something from him at this point in his career and life. I think he would like to know that we did, no matter what the future brings with his music. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS.N

brooks1fan
05-25-2000, 05:20 PM
I think - No, I know Garth will be fine. I have been a die hard fan for 10 years now, and I know there are plenty more out there. I loved the Chris Gaines thing, the music is awesome, and after all, isn't that what Garth says it's all about? The Music!!! If you can relate to something in one of his songs, whether it be from Garth or Chris, if it makes you "FEEL" , then it's a success for Garth - His whole career has been ONE BIG SUCCESS after another, and will continue as long as there's some one out there that can relate.<P>Garth Forever, <P>TinaN

changer
05-25-2000, 06:35 PM
Hawk,<P>I was just going to post the same thing!!<P>Mass appeal? What an awful concept! <P>I think the bottom line is that for every "fan" that Garth "loses", he gains one, or two, or more. <P>As far as his current leverl of popularity, I'll let you know AFTER I SEE HIM IN DENVER IN TWO WEEKS. <P>Did ya'll catch that? ;) ;) Yup, I'm going!<P>changerN

onair
05-25-2000, 07:57 PM
Garth not selling out shows?!?! He will still sell out concerts!<P>If Garth goes back on tour, he will continue to sell out shows where ever he goes. Radio loves Garth on Tour! When Garth comes to town it mean big ratings for the radio stations to give away tickets and Garth stuff to promote the shows! With the ticket price that Garth has and promotion that goes on for one of his tours he will continue to sell out shows.<P>The fan base that this artist has acumulated over the years will still buy tickets. For instance the latest single, it's burning up the charts!! It is debuting @ 38 w/ a bullet! This single has absolutly no push and promo behind it other than the movie. Garth is not on Jay Leno singing the song, Capitol-Nashville is not selling the song in any way (as of yet), but the respose to radio from/for this song has been overwhelming (keep up the good work)!<P>One final point--If Garth does tour again, this would probably be the final farewell tour! Anyone that is a Garthnut in the slightest would buy a ticket to a show. Just to say that they were a part in the finalle.<P>To answer your question: Has Garth lost mass appeal? NO! If Garth does tour will he still sell out shows? YES!!!<P>onairN

AmazedByChris
05-25-2000, 10:11 PM
(Stands up and applauds Hawk). Snow - you, too! I agree with you who say he hasn't suffered. The fans he 'lost' he didn't need - and I'm guessing for every one who dropped out, another one or two has come in, whether because of Chris (like several of us here) or because of Equality Rocks and his other causes. <P>I think more people will come to him because of 'The Lamb' - and even because of 'When You Come Back To Me Again', since it will be heard by people who might not otherwise listen to Garth.<P>He's going to be just fine. He's coming into his own, too. Singers' voices mature and become better at this stage of life. He's really on the threshold. Me, I'm waiting for the jazz album, the folk album, and anything else he cares to try :)N

BlueRose
05-26-2000, 07:11 AM
Ditto Merry!! Yep, there's living proof that the Chris Gaines project and Equality Rocks Concert has increased Garth's fan base.<P>Those who have felt the need to no longer support Garth because of the above, just "don't get it". I think the majority of Garth's fans are more than just fans of his music. We are fans of the man himself and what he stands for. Will he continue to sell out concerts if he chooses to? Will he continue to be the top selling solo artist of all time? You bet he will!! The world hasn't seen anything like Garth for a very long time and I believe, the best is yet to come.<P>"Lovin' this ride"!!!<P>Cheryl<BR>N

Brooks7
05-26-2000, 11:35 AM
I only have to say one thing<P>Garth is #1 and even when he turns 90, if he sings, we will all be still fighting for tickets......<P>Am I right or what?<P>Of course when he's 90, I'll be 87, so he better have lots walkers in the place for us old folks to get aroundN

BlueRose
05-26-2000, 04:11 PM
Brooks7 - LMAO! Walkers, canes, wheelchairs...we'll be there!<P>Cheryl<P>N

no1cowgirl
05-26-2000, 04:13 PM
changer-<BR> Hey...I'm also going to Denver fer the Garth thing, but I don't think that he's gonna be there! Just fair warning!<P><BR>KristaN

no1cowgirl
05-26-2000, 04:16 PM
changer-<BR> Oh, by the way! How did you get your tickets to the Garth thing in Denver??? Can ya tell me?<P><BR>KristaN

no1cowgirl
05-26-2000, 04:42 PM
Sorry fer getting off the subject y'all! *L* Changer--nevermind about the questions. I figured it out! *L*<P><BR>kristaN

Fresh_Horses
05-26-2000, 04:54 PM
I think Garth will still sell our crowds if he tours again. Everyone knows what a great performer he is. There was a picture of Garth standing next to a poster of Chris in my yearbook, I just got it today.N