PDA

View Full Version : From one generation to the next...

cybersadie
10-12-2000, 07:19 AM
All right, so I am not trying to open up any not quite healed wounds, so please don't take it that way. I just was thinking that maybe the reason some of us get more emotional (whether that be angry or sad) at the news of divorce and retirement is an age thing.
<br>
<br>I know that when I started listening to Garth in the early 90s, I was just a preteen and I'm only 21 now so he's been a real role model for me -- both in terms of his life and the music. So if I or some of the other young fans seem to take this news really hard it may be because we look at him a little differently than some older PGers. Think about the difference between hearing this kind of news from an uncle or teacher than from a friend around your age. There is just a little hero worship mixed in with our love of the music. It's tough to see the person whose life and music convinced you that you can do anything, fail at something and bow out seemingly without a fight.
<br>
<br>I know its a good thing that we, the younger fans, are getting the "he's only human" wake-up call. But that doesn't make it hurt any less. So even though you can see the common sense clearly, maybe y'all could not be so harsh on us as we get over the fall.
<br>
<br>Thanks.
<br>RoxanneN

cindrella4gb
10-12-2000, 08:34 AM
I don't think that's necessarily so Roxanne. I think there are more of the "older" PG'ers taking this harder than you realize. (now I'm really feeling old LOL) I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I've been taking this news really hard too. If this had happened when I was 21, I probably wouldn't have taken it so hard. But now that I'm older and married with 2 kids the same ages as Garth's two older girls, I've had a hard time dealing with it. I can just imagine how stressful things have been for Garth and his family. I know it would be stressful for me and my family. What those little girls must be going thru right now. If they're anything like my little girl (she's her daddy's girl), I know it's going to be hard for them not having their dad living with them all the time. But knowing Garth, he'll be doing his best to make it as easy for his girls as he can. :)
<br>
<br>~Cheryl L.~ N

sasteen
10-12-2000, 09:12 AM
Cheryl and Roxanne,
<br>
<br>I think you both may be right!
<br>
<br>I feel both ways.
<br>
<br>I am married and have 2 young boys and I have also been hooked on Garth since I was 23.
<br>
<br>I just think it depends on how much you have opened your heart up for him and how much you let in.
<br>And for some of us ... he is the ideal man and father and we want want just like him. So of course, to realize that he is just human, kind of bursts our bubble a little.
<br>
<br>Shelly Pa
<br>
<br>N

babyblue777
10-12-2000, 11:21 AM
Well, I'm 15, and in my opinion, I thank that Garth did the right thing. I know what it's like to live with parents that are always fighting. It was worse when I was little, and I used to wish that my parents would get a divorce instead of me having to hear them fight. I'm lucky that my parents worked things out, but it's really scary to live with parents that don't work things out. So in my opinion, I think that Garth did the right thing for his children.N

cybersadie
10-13-2000, 07:43 AM
Guess I may have been wrong. It just seemed to me when I was reading Snow's original thread that most the really emotional outburst-type responses (except Brian's -- I don't know how old he is) seemed to come from some of us younger folk. I think Shelly is probably right, though. It all depends on how much we let him into our lives.
<br>
<br>Truth be told, though, I STILL BELIEVE. And it would take a heck of a lot more than some divorce that I don't know from Adam the details of to make me stop.
<br>
<br>Hey Garth, since I haven't said it in a while...
<br>
<br>THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING
<br>N

Chris Gaines
10-13-2000, 08:07 AM
Brian is just a "HARE" younger then me LOL
<br>
<br>*runs from Brian* hehee
<br>JasonN

Pilgrim
10-13-2000, 01:17 PM
Jason:)
<br>
<br>You are not fast enough:):)
<br>
<br>I am bigger, stronger and FASTER than you;);)
<br>
<br>Brian:PN

cindrella4gb
10-13-2000, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone!
<br>I found something really great this morning while I was surfin around here on PG. It was a link from the Garth Moments forum here. It's a great story!! I think maybe ya'll should take a look at it. It might help you if you're having a hard time with the recent news. After reading it I felt ALOT better.
<br>Here's the link:
<br>http://boards.hollywoodandvine.com/UBB/Forum10/HTML/002129.html
<br>Hopefully this link will take you to it.
<br>Enjoy!! :)
<br>
<br>Cheryl L.
<br>N

cybersadie
10-16-2000, 07:36 AM
Brian and Jason -- so which one of you is older than dirt and which one is older than time?N

Pilgrim
10-16-2000, 02:50 PM
Roxanne:)
<br>
<br>I think both fits on Jason:) He is way older than both dirt and time:P:P
<br>
<br>Brian *running* <----And I am faster than Jason;)N