PDA

View Full Version : Defending Garth

sasteen
10-09-2000, 02:41 PM
Hey all,
<br>
<br>How about it? I have been defending Garth all day at work today and I assume it will only get worse.
<br>
<br>I feed that since Garth has not given me a reason to doubt him or believe in him...I will defend him.
<br>
<br>It was a mutual decision right???
<br>Everyone says that he is just covering his butt by saying that it was mutual so that the public doesn't come down on him.
<br>
<br>Well, like I said ...I have not been given a reason to stop believing so ....I still believe and will defend him until I am proven otherwise.
<br>
<br>It is hard though....I feel like I am defending my own husband. Its worth it though.
<br>
<br>Anyone else getting a hard time from those who know that you are a Garth Fan???
<br>
<br>Shelly PaN

brooks1fan
10-09-2000, 03:02 PM
Oh the rumors are starting alright!!! I couldn't believe the nasty things that have been said on the radio (not country stations of course). I was approached by several people at work, who honestly believed some of that CRAP. One was that Garth is going thru some "mid life" crisis, and has completely lost it. They went on to say that he has been suffering from a split personality disorder, with him referring to himself in the 3rd person, and the Chris Gaines thing. They then added insult to injury and said that all hell had finally broke loose when Sandy caught Garth in bed with another woman, and tried to 'ge out of it' by swearing that it wasn't Garth, but CHRIS!!!! And people actually BELIEVE THIS STUFF?! I was FURIOUS. Then, another station went as far to say that Garths whole reason for moving Sandy and the girls to Oklahoma was because divorce laws are more lenient (sp?) there, and he wouldn't have to "hand over" as much in a divorce settlement! I honestly don't know where these things come from, but I've been a raging lunatic all day, trying to keep my cool. I just can't believe that these things can be said on the air with no proof or anything to back them up..
<br>
<br>I have a feeling this is only the beginning. I just hope that Garth knows that his fans don't and never will buy ANY of the crap thats being said.
<br>
<br>Garth forever,
<br>
<br>TinaN

Chris Gaines
10-09-2000, 03:46 PM
you shouldda heard CNN's Sowbiz Today this afternoon.
<br>
<br>My dad told me the entire story.. and let me just say.. it really discusses that CNN would say that Garth (of all people had MANY Sexual partners while he was on tour. And they even went into detail on how Garth got everyone to keep quiet about it... even Sandy.
<br>
<br>This is discusting! :(
<br>
<br>Poor Garth.. if this is how CNN is gonna be.. I don't even want to know what the Tabloids will say :(
<br>
<br>JasonN

wmcinnis
10-09-2000, 03:51 PM
I'm sure I'm in for alot of defending myself as I go back to work tomorrow also.
<br>I don't even know why I waste my breath on some of the comments I get about Garth, but somehow I feel it's my duty as a fan to defend him:)
<br>I'm ready for them though:)
<br>-Susan-N

BigGfan4life
10-09-2000, 03:53 PM
It gets worse :( One of the morning hosts on my local station was slaughtering Garth this morning, saying what a slime ball he is for doing this to Sandy :( I just couldn't believe it...this coming from a station that has always supported Garth!! I mean, really, what is the big deal? Thousands of people get divorcd every day around the world. Anyone who would sit around and make stuff up about other people apparently don't have real lives themselves. The good thing, though, is that we all know that Garth has always kept a strong head on his shoulders and just ignored the press and the tabloids. After all, is what the media says really worth worrying about? Garth - and Sandy - have more class than all of them put together!!N

fuzzwuzz
10-09-2000, 04:04 PM
See where freedom of speech gets us? We are free to stifle too. And to only speak words of healing and love. How come we don't do that? We are free to be ourselves. It's an ugly sight ain't it?
<br> I told a sweet lady at work about Garth and Sandy, and we hugged instead of judging his actions. That hug made all the difference. We all could use some to help us through this.
<br> But Garth and Sandy? Who's hugging them right now while the masses descend upon them in their weakness, like wolves to lambs in the slaughter? And these are the same people who 'loved' him? Why aren't they sad too? Why do they instead inflict more pain? When their own lives are no better? Where's the compassion we are free to give one another?
<br> "Lord keep us from being the one the wolves pull down."N

Pilgrim
10-09-2000, 04:06 PM
One question!!!!!!
<br>
<br>If they are rumours, then why do you all post them here???;);)
<br>
<br>Then people who come read them just spread them:P
<br>
<br>BrianN

Dancer
10-09-2000, 04:10 PM
I heard a rumor at school today that Sandy has hated Garth for a long time because of the fact that he is always gone and doing other things (music, touring, appearances, baseball, etc.) and that she is planning on taking this all the way, such as trying to get as much money and other things as she possibly can from him, including a few future royalties. Only doing this because his records are still selling good enough for him to support himself very well, even if he had to file bankruptcy and start all over again with zero cash. I do not believe this because Garth has stopped touring in the past to go and work on things with his wife and family, and I do not think that Sandy would even act this way. I personally think that Garth would have no problem in giving Sandy a nice check anyways to cover things, such as child support or whatever she chooses. I just hope that everything works out fime for both Garth and Sandy.N

SweetGBFan
10-09-2000, 04:11 PM
I imagine tomorrow that I too will be defending Garth. What difference does it make if he is divorcing or not? Why do people take such pleasure in putting him down? Celebrities divorce everyday and they do not get called slime balls and stuff. Look at Vince Gill. He and Amy Grant were dating about a month after she and Gary Chapman were divorced. Does this mean he could have been the cause of their divorce? Anyway, whether Garth decides to divorce or not is his and Sandys business. Why is it automatically Garths fault? Because he publicly admitted to having a one night stand, and now he is sleeping around with other women, and that is the cause of the divorce. Cant people think that sometimes people just grow apart? Why are they not saying that maybe Sandy was sleeping around, which would be just as stupid. Guys, take it with a grain of salt. Six months from now or even a month from now this will be old news and probably forgotten. Of course, with Garth being so public about his marriage, the press is going to have a field day with this. Sometimes I think he is too public for his own good.N

Snow
10-09-2000, 04:18 PM
Guess I'm lucky. I have not heard anyone say anything so far and I haven't been listening to the country station or any of those dumb talk shows.
<br>
<br>They'll do anything for ratings. We've seen that in the past. We knew this was coming when the announcement was made.
<br>
<br>You only have two choices. Ignore them... or in the case of shows and stuff... write a letter of complaint. If people don't get all worked up about it or refuse to buy the stuff, it'll die down soon enough.
<br>
<br>If it's bad for us... imagine Garth and Sandy trying to shield the children from it. Good thing they are near family now.N

cindrella4gb
10-09-2000, 04:43 PM
Thank goodness I haven't had to stand up for Garth today, not that I wouldn't....I've done it a few times and I'm proud to do it. The radio station where I heard the news did say that the breakup was due to the fact that Sandy had a real problem with the Chris Gaines project...I got so mad!! They don't even have a clue!
<br>I didn't see CNN or any of the other networks today. I never watch CNN anymore. Their reporting and coverage of different stories have become Very one sided. I did catch Inside Edition's story and have to say they were fair. My husband told me that Fox News channel's coverage was very fair yesterday when the story started getting out. It must have been a really slow news day for the networks today. I can't wait to see what crap the tabloids are going to print about Garth. They don't have anything else better to do with their time. My suggestion would be for all these so called journalists go back to school and study real journalism....sheez!! N

no1cowgirl
10-09-2000, 04:53 PM
Deb-
<br> I agree. I haven't heard anything yet, and I choose to ignore these rumors because I know the truth, and because I know people will talk no matter what I say or do.
<br> I also agree. Garth and Sandy have, since Taylor was born, been very concerned about the girls being in the tabloids, and I believe they will have to protect them Ten-Fold. I think the main concern as of now is keeping the girls safe.
<br>
<br>
<br>KristaN

Crackers
10-09-2000, 05:24 PM
The problem is "ratings". People are curious and willing to watch the tv show that has the juciest story. Everything I've heard, so far, has been nothing but a re-hash of a tabloid story. Once it's printed, it's taken as fair game to print again. For instance, there was a story in one of the tabloids a while back about how Sandy didn't want Garth to do the Chris Gaines thing. That might be true, but everything that's been added to it is probably exaggerated. I'm with Brian........we should ignore it. The truth will probably come out eventually. And, it will probably be nothing more than that they grew apart.N

Garthfan92
10-09-2000, 05:34 PM
I guess I've been pretty lucky at work so far. Today, everyone came over asking what the real story was. I told them as much as we know. The press problems I'm seeing so far is that they're using old interview clips as if they are current. That puts a different spin on things that's confusing people. I'm just praying that it doesn't get TOO bad.
<br>
<br>LisaN

Cheryl
10-09-2000, 05:47 PM
It's just too bad that some of these so called journalist can't show a little bit of class and stick to the facts at hand.
<br>
<br>And, Brian.....Lord knows I've disagreed with what you have said more times than I can count, but I gotta say that I am COMPLETELY with you on this one......repeating the trash talk here only helps to spread the rumors. Like I said before...if it didn't come from Garth, then it aint worth repeating. Rumors require only one thing to survive....and that is people to repeat them.N

RedHotRyder
10-09-2000, 06:06 PM
I'm with you 100% there, Shelly! I'd defend Garth regarding anything, because I am positive that he knows best. He is far better than any person on this planet, and I don't know if anyone will ever come close to his level of accomplishment. No matter what the situation, I'll stand by The Man.
<br>
<br>--Mike, in PAN

Garth2Gaines
10-09-2000, 06:08 PM
So what do you do for fun? You take it out on number ONE... :(
<br>
<br>What's the difference between critics and puppy's?...
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Puppy's go up and stop whining, critic's don't.
<br>dwayneN

CountryBee
10-09-2000, 07:27 PM
With all of the gossip talk about Garth being tossed about, has anyone brought up Trisha Yearwood's name? I'll be rather surprised if it doesn't come up sooner or later. The tabloids had a field day with Garth and Trisha a couple of years ago. I just hope Garth and Trisha aren't hiding something from us.
<br>BeeN

honky
10-09-2000, 07:40 PM
<br>Hmmmm...... I thought the same thing happened to Alan and Vince Gill right?
<br>
<br>well... my friends don't know anything about the divroce thing.. but really.. people like to make their own storys....
<br>
<br>
<br>Well, I don't know what to say especially the country djs who is now back stabbing Garth... and truthfully, why do they care if Garth is going to divorce?
<br>
<br>
<br>I think most people who are saying this do not like Garth in the first place.. and that's why Garth has been called having personality crisis...LOL poor Garth!!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>I just hope Sandy could come out to clear something....
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

Lowell Miller
10-09-2000, 09:53 PM
Yea Tommy it would be nice if Sandy would do a positive press release.N

angelamccann
10-09-2000, 10:21 PM
My local country station (as far as I know the only one in the UK - sigh) mentioned the divorce briefly last night - the DJ claimed it was 'just another' publicity stunt for Garth. I thought about storming down there to give them a piece of my mind as they rip into Garth every chance they get, but if I had gone over there or phoned they probably would've made something out of that too, and I thought it wisest to ignore it and hope not responding helps it to drop.
<br>
<br>The same station had Trisha as a guest about two weeks ago when she was over here, and the DJ announced the interview the day before by saying she was going to ask Trisha about the rumours with Garth. I didn't hear the interview but some comments were rebroadcast the next morning, and I don't think Trisha mentioned Garth at all (she also didn't mention him on stage at the Royal Albert Hall) - she talked about how she thought she and her ex-husband would probably be one of those couples who keep remarrying and divorcing the whole of their lives.
<br>
<br>The CNN report sounds like something they dredged up from the time of the troubles around 1989 - and of course everyone was advised to keep quiet about it, other than sensible references to it in a few interviews.
<br>
<br>Would a positive press release from Sandy help things - or would it just create another target for the media to claim Garth was manipulating things by getting her to talk about it? I'm not sure. Somehow I think maintaining a dignified silence is better - that way all the press can print is the few quotes from his interview - anything else we can assume is probably made up.
<br>
<br>Angela x
<br>
<br>N

babyblue777
10-10-2000, 04:24 AM
A lot of these rumors wouldn't even be around if it wern't for Vince Gill and Amy Grant. Garth isn't the only one that's going through a hard time. How do you think Trisha must feel, people are probably going to point all fingers at her.
<br>Every rumor I've heard doesn't make any sense, because I keep thinking of one thing; HE WOULD NEVER PUT HIS CHILDREN THROUGH THIS KIND OF PAIN JUST SO HE COULD GET NOTICED.
<br>We all know that Garth isn't perfect, he has a big ego, but after all he's done for those kids, FORGET IT!!!! He would never stoop so low as to put his family though this kind of pain, just so he could be put in the news.N

GBShameless
10-10-2000, 10:06 AM
Well I thought I would have alot of defending to do today, when I walked into work, but thank goodness I haven't :).
<br>
<br>This morning on the way to work on our local radio station WKLB Boston, the morning DJ said some nice things about Garth in their Nashivlle Notes. Before that they had played The Dance, which did me in for the day :(.
<br>
<br>But I ended up emailing him and thanking him for what he had said and his reply was "I meant every word I said". :)
<br>
<br>Just thought I would share. :)
<br>
<br>RobinN

honky
10-10-2000, 11:00 AM
<br>Robin,
<br>
<br>Oh there is something to "smile" at :)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>babyblue777,
<br>
<br>Yeah... that's what I think as well... ;)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>:rolleyes:Tommy:rolleyes:N

Brooks7
10-10-2000, 12:43 PM
I don't post much anymore, things are busy, but had to make a comment about this subject.
<br>
<br>I read someone's comment about Trisha, Entertainment Tonight mentioned it last night and talked about the rumour of Garth and Trisha, but that Trisha's people deny any rumours.
<br>
<br>And as for feeling sorry for Sandy and the girls, of course I do in one way, devorce is sad and hard on everyone involved,
<br>but I also don't in another way, she pushed him to go for what he wanted, she forgave his infidelities before and still went ahead and had children after all that, and they are certainly not going to hurt for anything like most of the kids in the country being raised in single family homes, think about it, how may single families and step families do you know.
<br>
<br>It's sad to say that it is almost the norm these days.
<br>And those girls have a dad who loves them, and who isn't going to skip out on child support.
<br>
<br>Alot of kids don't have anything, a father who cares or child support, like my kids for instance, I did not plan on getting a devorce when I had my kids, the last thing I ever wanted to do to them was to be a single mom, but it happened, so maybe I am a bit bias on the subject.
<br>
<br>I hope no one jumps on me for saying these things, I am praying for things to be OK for all of them, but everyone seems to think it is the end of the world for Garth, Sandy and the kids.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>N

Pilgrim
10-10-2000, 01:20 PM
Cheryl
<br>
<br>;);)
<br>
<br>Brian:)N

Paula
10-10-2000, 05:36 PM
Robin,
<br>
<br>I heard the comments that JW made this morning also and thought it was very sensitive and classy.
<br>
<br>PaulaN

sasteen
10-10-2000, 05:40 PM
Well, the people at my work were at it again.
<br>
<br>If you say that it was mutual, they say Garth was just protecting his image. It wouldn't look good if he left her.
<br>On the other hand, if she left him, it would still be Garths fault for causing her to leave for some reason or another.
<br>Why is it that people have to read so much into something.
<br>
<br>It was a mutual and well thought out decision. Thats it.
<br>Nothing more, nothing less.
<br>
<br>But
<br>
<br>I think Garth lost alot of fans from what I have been hearing from people. They just don't want to hear of anything but...that he comes off as such a family man with values and morals and he does this.
<br>
<br>What can I say, hopefully it will be old news soon, before I go insane.
<br>
<br>SHelly PaN

berriffic
10-10-2000, 07:15 PM
I think our best defence of Garth is not to believe the trash in the media. I have heard plenty of rumors.....however i find it interesting that everything I have heard was "garth's Fault" interesting.... I wonder if thats because Garth is the famous one, the male, or just the first one to say anything about a divorce. Double standards are alive and well in the usa! He is going to have a heart of steal to make it through this one.
<br><3 berN

honky
10-10-2000, 09:38 PM
berriffic,
<br>
<br>
<br>Yeah.. that's what I have noticed too. Most people automatically assumes that it is Garth's fault and they fail to understand that ALL OF US DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH WHATSOEVER!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>I am glad that when my friend heard about the divorce thing, she did not put all the blames on Garth. She realized "divorce" is a two-sided thing :)
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

Brooks7
10-11-2000, 04:08 AM
Tommy, you are so right, it takes two, and it is really none of our business why this is happening.
<br>
<br>and my point of view is that if anyone chooses not to be a fan because of this, then they were never really a fan to begin with,
<br>it's not like he murdered someone, so anyone who turns their back on him is the type he doesn't need as a fan in the first place.
<br>N

How77
10-11-2000, 05:42 AM
The reporters dont know and we dont know. Do we know Garth just becasue we see him on tv? Do we live with Garth? Sometimes people are not who you think they are. N

Camouflage
10-11-2000, 06:01 AM
I never thought I would say that, but I am HAPPY to live in Europe these days!
<br>Why? As for the place where I live no one really knows who Garth Brooks is, so I don't have to defend him on his divorce. But that's the only good thing for me - as being a Garth Fan is not easy in a country which does not care about Country Music.
<br>
<br>N

Pilgrim
10-11-2000, 02:02 PM
*LOL* Camouflage:):)
<br>
<br>I have to agree with you on this one :)
<br>
<br>BrianN

no1cowgirl
10-11-2000, 03:16 PM
Just remember, Journalism and the Media is a direct reflection of the status quo of society.
<br>
<br>
<br>KristaN

babyblue777
10-11-2000, 03:59 PM
I wonder if the media ever thinks of Garth as a human anymore. It makes me sick to think of the pain that Garth and his family are going through right now, and the media just keeps adding to the pain. They just don't care about the people they are hurting. Have they forgotten that he has 3 daughters?
<br>Before I fell asleep last night, I wondered what it's like for his little girls. They would hear stories all the time about their own father. It would kill me to have anyone say the harsh about my dad that the media says about Garth. People just forget that this is a man's life they're talking about, and that he has children that are most affected by this divorce.
<br>
<br>"listen not to the critics who put their own dreams on the shelf, if you wanna get the truth to admit it you gotta find out for yourself"
<br>
<br>that's all I have to sayN

cybersadie
10-13-2000, 07:26 AM
GRRRRR. I think they do it because they know that Garth is not one to retaliate -- cuz he's a grownup and has bigger fish to fry. But that doesn't mean this stuff doesn't hurt him. I remember the first time he was considering retiring, he gave an interview and said that it really hurt his feelings when the media started referring to him as "Girth" Brooks. Actually, I think they know that it hurts his feelings. It's no fun to pick on someone who doesn't give a damn, after all.
<br>
<br>Stupid people and their own need to feel superior to others. GRRR.
<br>N

SummerWind
10-13-2000, 03:08 PM
I have had to do a little defending these past few days, but not as much as I exspected. Some friends of mine who also happen to be Garth Fans said what I exspected them to say.....that it was because of Trisha. No mater how many times I had argued about this...they believe what they want. I surprise myself with how angry I get over this. And they all think I need to see a shrink because of my devotion to Garth. I am really glad I found this forum where I dont feel like a looney for not believing the rumors.
<br>
<br>JennyN