PDA

View Full Version : just something that makes me go "Hmmmmm"

honky
10-04-2000, 10:30 PM
<br>Well.. does anyone feel sick that Tim McGraw won AGAIN in MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR? :(
<br>
<br>
<br>I mean.. he's got this award for like 3 years or more.. and I just don't understand why CMA keeps giving him credit when this award should be given to those who are just as a good vocalist as him. And in my opinion (don't hate me for this), CMA should start giving credits to somebody else who can hit the notes right!!
<br>
<br>Ok.. you maybe thinking that Tim totally deserves the award.. but what about those who really sing their heart out? I mean.. both CMA and AMA have given him this credit a couple times.. and this makes me wonder why he is getting this award. And I came to this conculsion:
<br>
<br>
<br>First of all, we all know that Tim will not get Entertainer of the Year award cuz there are always somebody who sells more than him. For example, last year Shania took the award and this year belonged to the Chicks. I do think the Chicks should win (though I don't like em' very much). And then, when you think about songs... there are so many hits this year... so that category is out. And now.. don't you think he's left with only "male vocalist category"? *LOL*
<br>
<br>
<br>He is a decent singer in my opinion and I will never think that Tim is better than Garth!! JUST NO WAY!! At least Garth can hit really high notes as you have heard him in "lost in you".. etc. In terms of vocal, CMA should be looking for artists who have really good voices and vocal techniques..
<br>
<br>
<br>By the way, Garth won 4 Enterainer of the Year at CMA cuz of his sales and popularity :) And nobody can deny the fact that Garth did deserve that recognition. Afterall, ETY is given to those who have made and contributed the most to country music at that year.
<br>
<br>
<br>Oh well.... I am not bittered.. I just giggled when I saw Tim winninng again... lol not Tim's problem though.. it's CMA's!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>:rolleyes:Tommy:rolleyes:
<br>N

cybersadie
10-05-2000, 05:44 AM
I have to disagree with you on this one. Tim was the clear forerunner on this year's MVY award.
<br>
<br>1) They were using Vinny's new album, which he only has one song released from and that one song (in addition to being his worst writing ever, does not really showcase the vocal talent of the prettiest voice in country music). Vince is my #2 fave male singer and I was steamed last year when he didn't win for "The Key" and the year before for "High Lonesome Sound" -- two AWESOME albums.
<br>
<br>2) Alan Jackson, who I also really enjoy listening to, just doesn't have what it takes to pull off a lovesong, which I think is crucial in the judging of male vocal talent. With the exception of "Midnight in Montgomery," (one of the greatest country songs ever) his slow songs are just not up to par with lots of other male musicians, Tim included.
<br>
<br>3) George Strait - who for the last five years or so has been cranking out one mediocre album after another. Yeah there are high points but nothing that has qualified him for MVY.
<br>
<br>4) Brad Paisley - he couldn't win it the first time out. I think when folks voted they were like "We'll give him Horizon, so it won't be so bad he didn't get Male Vocalist."
<br>
<br>In addition, I think Tim may not be the best singer in the world but neither is the G-man if you really break it down. What they've both got is an incredible amount of heart that makes their fans love them and hear exactly what they mean in every song, even if they're not saying it in the prettiest way.N

littlebit
10-05-2000, 06:37 AM
i agree. i don't think tim should get the award. Nor Strait or jackson. Not cos i don't think that they can't sing. Garth, Chris LeDoux Randy rravis, Travis Tritt all sing better than those 3. i think Garth should have gotten EOY becos IYCBTMA. When a entertainer is one hiatus (i hope) and he comes out with a song that everybody is requesting not only on the radio but video too, i think that should beat record sales. It ain't even released for sale and it made to #1 in the US and Canada for videos. Think of it, what artist who hasn't put out anything "new" for a while has done this. Only Garth that i know of.
<br>
<br>deAnnalynnN

honky
10-05-2000, 10:06 AM
cybersadie,
<br>
<br>I agree and disagree with you :)
<br>
<br>
<br>Yes, I agree that Garth does not have the greatest voice... but like you said, it is all about how a artist sang in a song. Garth did do all justice to his songs :) Songs like WHEN YOU COME BACK TO ME AGAIN just a good example how he puts his heart into a song.
<br>
<br>But why hasn't Garth won in this category? AND THAT MAKES YOU WONDER!!!! :(
<br>
<br>I just think that Tim is winning cuz 1)he will never get a EOY award (at least from what he is doing now) 2)and Tim is popular and sells decently than the other nominees.
<br>
<br>Before I thought CMA honors those who deserved. But not anymore!! Although it was bitter that Vince Gill won the MALE VOCALIST award while Garth was also nominated in the same cagetory. But now... it's like.. "WE GOTTA GIVE AT LEAST ONE AWARD TO TIM.. CUZ HE IS POPOULAR IN COUNTRY MUSIC WHILE MOST GUYS ARE NOT DOING TOO WELL"
<br>
<br>This is the kind of image that country is creating. In reality, country doesn't have any outstanding male artists right now.. at least in terms of ablum sales. And Tim is the top right now comparing to other nominees (excluding Garth).
<br>
<br>
<br>And Alan Jackson has never win in MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR!! Isn't that strange?
<br>
<br>In fact, I think the nomination is weird!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>:rolleyes:Tommy:rolleyes:N

honky
10-05-2000, 10:06 AM
cybersadie,
<br>
<br>I agree and disagree with you :)
<br>
<br>
<br>Yes, I agree that Garth does not have the greatest voice... but like you said, it is all about how a artist sang in a song. Garth did do all justice to his songs :) Songs like WHEN YOU COME BACK TO ME AGAIN just a good example how he puts his heart into a song.
<br>
<br>But why hasn't Garth won in this category? AND THAT MAKES YOU WONDER!!!! :(
<br>
<br>I just think that Tim is winning cuz 1)he will never get a EOY award (at least from what he is doing now) 2)and Tim is popular and sells decently than the other nominees.
<br>
<br>Before I thought CMA honors those who deserved. But not anymore!! Although it was bitter that Vince Gill won the MALE VOCALIST award while Garth was also nominated in the same cagetory. But now... it's like.. "WE GOTTA GIVE AT LEAST ONE AWARD TO TIM.. CUZ HE IS POPOULAR IN COUNTRY MUSIC WHILE MOST GUYS ARE NOT DOING TOO WELL"
<br>
<br>This is the kind of image that country is creating. In reality, country doesn't have any outstanding male artists right now.. at least in terms of ablum sales. And Tim is the top right now comparing to other nominees (excluding Garth).
<br>
<br>
<br>And Alan Jackson has never win in MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR!! Isn't that strange?
<br>
<br>In fact, I think the nomination is weird!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>:rolleyes:Tommy:rolleyes:N

Pilgrim
10-05-2000, 02:10 PM
Are you a bit peeved Tommy;);)
<br>
<br>BrianN

t.m. fan
10-05-2000, 02:36 PM
I can't believe you're even comparing Tim to Garth?! What cybersadie said was very true. The male vocalist award is based on album sales, chart performance, concerts, t.v. appearances, and performance on albums. It is not based on who has the best voice! No male country singer sold more albums than Tim, performed better on the charts, had a more successful tour (maybe George but Tim was apart of that), or garnered more popularity (he was on the cover of last weeks t.v. guide, right?). Those are the facts, and they are indisputed. And did you hear his performance last night? I didn't get to watch it but I hear an audio clip and it brought goosebumps and tears. Wow!! Tim has what Garth has-- heart!!!! And just as important his music is so honest. I'm not saying no one else had good years, George and Alan had good years, but Tim is just on a roll right now. 'Things Change'. It has been Garth's turn, George's turn, and Alan's turn in the past, now it's Tim's turn. Someday it may be Brad's turn or whoever else's turn. But last night Tim McGraw won a very much deserved Male Vocalist of the Year for the Second year in a row. I'm not crying because the Dixie Chicks won for Entertainer of the Year. They probably deserved it even though I'm not big fans. But what has Garth really done the last year? So why are you comparing him to Tim McGraw?N

honky
10-06-2000, 10:09 AM
t.m.
<br>
<br>I am waiting for you to reply!! *LOL*
<br>
<br>If what you said is true...
<br>
<br>
The male vocalist award is based on album sales, chart performance, concerts, t.v. appearances, and performance on albums. It is not based on who has the best voice!
<br>
<br>
<br>Ok... and now tell me why has Garth won one when in early 90's? or even when Sevens came out? why?
<br>
<br>In my opinion, Male Vocalist should at least considered the person "vocal"!!
<br>
<br>
<br>
But what has Garth really done the last year? So why are you comparing him to Tim McGraw?
<br>
<br>Yep, Garth has done anything this :) I don't think he should be even nominated!! :P Please don't misunderstand me that if Garth can't get it, nobody can get it. Tim had got one last year.... I just think that CMA had to give one to Tim cuz he is popular and has a couple hits.
<br>
<br>
<br>[qoute]And did you hear his performance last night? I didn't get to watch it but I hear an audio clip and it brought goosebumps and tears. [/quote]
<br>
<br>Sorry.. I wan't impressed by his performance last year :eek: His singing of "Please Remember Me" wasn't that good.. he sang as if he was on the verge to sing "off-keys". That's how I feel when he sings ;)
<br>
<br>
<br>I do think "Toby Keith" should win though.... but I can't remember if he was nominated or not :eek:
<br>
<br>
<br>Hmmmm.... and you wonder why Garth didn't get any when he had hits like "Friends in Low Places", "Unanswered Prayers", "The Dance"... etc. I just think that there isn't much competition right now... most male artists can't sell... but before, even Alan could sell 6 milliones!!! Garth should have won a long time ago.. but it was very competitive in early 90's...
<br>
<br>Do you know where I am coming from? CMA knows that there aren't male artists who can sell 3 millions right now.. and Tim is probably the only one left.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br><P>(This message has been edited by honky)N

honky
10-06-2000, 10:17 AM
<br>By the way.. if Male Vocalist award is based on sales, concerts, popularity, and hit songs... Garth should have won almost every year since the 90's!!
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

t.m. fan
10-09-2000, 09:17 PM
Honky,
<br>
<br>I went to the CMA website, and it says that the Male Vocalist of the Year is based on individual performance on records and in person. So that is pretty vague. However, on the ACM website, they give you a specific criteria of what the Male Vocalist of the Year is based on: www.acmcountry.com/award-category-criteria-f.html
<br>
<br>Pretty much exactly what I said earlier.
<br>When I said what the award was based on, I wasn't making the stuff up as I went along. I knew I had read it on one of the two sites.
<br>
<br>And about Tim's performance, I wasn't talking about his 1999 ACM performance, I was talking about his 2000 CMA performance, the one that took place just 5 days ago. He sang "Please Remember Me" a year and a half ago. I was talking about "Things Change", the one where he got a standing ovation.
<br>
<br>And if the Male Vocalist award were really about who has the best singing voice, then wouldn't the same singer get it every year? I mean it's not like people's voice abilities change all that much from year to year. The CMA's aren't a talent show, it's an industry awards show recognizing successful artists and special achievment. Tim McGraw will be the first to tell you he doesn't have the greatest voice, but where he lacks in vocal ability he more than makes up with heart, soul, honesty, wits, loyalty, modesty, and a great ear for songs. N

Lowell Miller
10-09-2000, 10:42 PM
I think "Something like that" should have been nominated. ;)
<br>I thought it was funny that "Dance" won song and single. But lost as Duet, when the winner of the Duet category was nominated for song. And lost...That makes you go Hmmmmmmmm. ;)N

minnesotagbfan
10-10-2000, 02:20 AM
all i know is that if you can win male vocalist by punching uniformed cops..every body should do it ...:P
<br>
<br>btw ..i like tims music..just not the "i am gonna get off" attitude..and if you dont think he has it..try when faith posed as a cop or the tnn awards;)
<br>
<br>russN

honky
10-10-2000, 09:45 PM
t.m.fan,
<br>
<br>I understood where you are coming from.. but really, CMA still surprises me that they didn't give Garth Male Vocalist of the Year when songs like "The Dance", "Friends in Low Places", "The River", "We Shall Be Free"... were all great examples of how one can really express one's emotions, feelings, and attitudes.
<br>
<br>I don't think Garth should be nominated in this year or last year... but really, he should have won at least once or a couple when he had consecutive mega-selling and No.1 hits.
<br>
<br>
<br>I mean.. don't you find it surprising that Garth hasn't won one yet?
<br>
<br>
<br>And being a bias person, I don't find Tim's voice so great that he had won 2 Male Vocalist Award.. and a couple in ACM.
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

t.m. fan
10-11-2000, 01:34 PM
Honky,
<br>
<br>Honestly, I agree with you. Vince Gill won the CMA Male Vocalist of the year like 4 or 5 times in a row in the early 90's, when Garth ruled the scene. I think Garth should have won at least a couple Male Vocalist of the Year's, but I assure you I was not on the voting panel then so it was not up to me. What really makes me go Hmmmm.... is why Vince Gill hosts the CMA's every year and won all those awards. Don't get me wrong, he's very charismatic and has a nice voice, and I like a lot of his songs, but I don't think he had better years than Garth in the early 90's and I don't understand why he's still being nominated for Male Vocalist of the Year with just marginal chart success and album sales and I have heard very little about his concerts. You should be more concerned with that than why the best selling (Sound Scan), highest grossing (touring), best charting (Billboard) man in country music wins one award-- Male Vocalist of the Year. N

honky
10-11-2000, 03:50 PM
<br>t.m.fan,
<br>
<br>
<br>Glad that you know what I was coming from...LOL
<br>
<br>Since you mentioned Vince Gill, let me throw my 2 cents in!!! I am telling ya, both CMA and Grammys did not do justice when they gave out awards. I have no ideas why Vince Gill won so many Grammys and even beat "Friends In Low Places"!! This really pissed me off cuz Vince doesn't have mega-hit songs... ok maybe one like (I still Believe in You).. but that's it!! The rest of his stuff is just mediocre. I am not just saying this.. charts and sellings speak for themsevles. Garth has had so many No.1 hits and neither CMA nor Grammys recognized his effort and performance.
<br>
<br>Vince has a good vocal, but his songs sound pretty much the same. He doesn't try new things like the way Garth did. I don't hate Vince.. I just can't believe CMA and Grammys only recognized Vince's performance. Afterall, I do think Vince has good connections with the people in the award industry....LOL
<br>
<br>
<br>Well.. no wonder Garth couldn't win in his earlier career. Even with the song "When you come back to me again", Garth should be nominated if Vince was nominated for his medieocre stuff!!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>I convinced myself that people who won Male Vocalist Awards should demonstrate great vocal ability like Vince Gill and John Berry. However, ever since Tim won the awards, it just totally threw me off!!! I am not the first to say this.. Tim even admits that he doesn't have good vocal. And because of this, it just makes me wonder why Garth hasn't won Male Vocalist Award yet!! Just plain stupid of CMA to overlook Garth's performance in his songs :mad:
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>PLAIN STUPID!! IGNORANCE!!
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

SummerWind
10-13-2000, 11:33 AM
Tommy,
<br> I was kind of disappointed when Tim won but I had a feeling he would get it because he is popular right now. I was not impressed by his performance at the CMA's either.
<br>
<br>Dont anyone get me wrong, I like Tim and his music. I have seen him perform live and he was pretty good. He also has a good sense of humor. I just dont think he was any better than say George Strait. But since someone had to win....I guess it goes to Tim.
<br>
<br>Someone mentioned Tim has the same thing Garth has.."heart" Well Like I have said...Ive seen them both and Tim in no way has what Garth has....yes he has heart but not the way Garth does. This kind of reminded me of an article I read in Country Weekly about Tim being the next "Garth Brooks"....all I could think of was "I dont think so"....I am a fan of Tim's though..just my oppinion.
<br>
<br>Personally I thought Alan Jackson performed better live than Tim...George Strait sounds great live but he doesn't move around at all so he's not as entertaining.
<br>
<br>As far as garth not getting any of the MV awards....ive wondered that myself.....I certainly have always felt he was more deserving of them than Vince.....and though Vince isn't one of my Favs....he does have a pretty good voice.
<br>
<br>Hope I haven't offended anyone...
<br>
<br>JennyN

cybersadie
10-13-2000, 12:03 PM
Of course I wasn't saying that it's right that Garth has never won MVY. I can't, for the life of me, understand it either. I am also not saying that Garth and Tim are even in the same league in my book. Nobody's got heart like the big guy!!! I just think that, considering who was nominated this year (and I can't say Garth deserved to be nominated for his just one song, as great as it was. That would mean that someone who put together a whole album would have been left off the list and that's not fair) Tim was the obvious choice.
<br>
<br>Honestly, leaving Garth out of this year's running completely -- which of those guys had a better year than Tim? Also, consider that the awards are voted on by PEERS, meaning even other performers. I don't think we can blame this one on the influence of THE MAN, y'all. People who know the business well (not just random men in suits) tought that Tim did what it takes to be MVY, whatever they judged that by.N

honky
10-13-2000, 03:25 PM
cybersadie,
<br>
<br>Yep, I don't deny that Garth should even be nominated this year or last year.
<br>
<br>But really.. what happened to the CMA when Garth was damn hot and popular? how many people had been touched by "The Dance"? and how many people can sing "Friends in Low Places", and how many people dare to sing "We Shall Be Free"?
<br>
<br>
<br>Aren't these songs and performance should be enough for a MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR?
<br>
<br>Garth should have won it many years ago, or even in 98 when he had Sevens!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>I am not saying Garth should win every year.. I am just not happy that CMA is giving Tim the award, while he and Garth are not known for great vocals like Vince Gill. If CMA gave Tim the award, they should have done it a long time ago when Garth had so many hits!!
<br>
<br>
<br>Come to think of it, Tim is probably one of the few who is still selling... but compare to Garth, he is not even 1/6 of what Garth has done. And this really pissed me off.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

honky
10-13-2000, 03:26 PM
cybersadie,
<br>
<br>Yep, I don't deny that Garth should even be nominated this year or last year.
<br>
<br>But really.. what happened to the CMA when Garth was damn hot and popular? how many people had been touched by "The Dance"? and how many people can sing "Friends in Low Places", and how many people dare to sing "We Shall Be Free"?
<br>
<br>
<br>Aren't these songs and performance should be enough for a MALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR?
<br>
<br>Garth should have won it many years ago, or even in 98 when he had Sevens!!!
<br>
<br>
<br>I am not saying Garth should win every year.. I am just not happy that CMA is giving Tim the award, while he and Garth are not known for great vocals like Vince Gill. If CMA gave Tim the award, they should have done it a long time ago when Garth had so many hits!!
<br>
<br>
<br>Come to think of it, Tim is probably one of the few who is still selling... but compare to Garth, he is not even 1/6 of what Garth has done. And this really pissed me off.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

t.m. fan
10-15-2000, 01:18 AM
What exactly do you guys consider having "heart"? I mean, I wasn't trying to make a contest out of who has more heart-- Garth or Tim. All I said is they both have a lot of it. Who are you guys to quantify how much heart Tim has or Garth has? Do you know them personally? I mean really know them? So how can you judge who has more? That was quite a ridiculous statement to say that Garth has "way more heart" than Tim.
<br>
<br>I've never been to an Alan Jackson concert but my mom has and I've heard from several people that say Alan isn't exactly the most mobile figure on stage-- he's much like George Strait. I've seen Tim twice-- he's awesome!!!!
<br>
<br>And that article about "Tim being the next Garth"-- well I don't agree with that either. Nobody is trying to be the "next Garth". One is PLENTY :) LOL!
<br>But really, Tim wants to be an individual, he doens't want to be a Garth or a George or anybody else, he wants to be Tim McGraw. That article was just the creation of a journalist trying to make an interesting headline.
<br>
<br>Sure, Tim hasn't sold nearly as many records as Garth did in the early 90's but, come to think of it, neither does Garth. I can guarentee you Garth could never sell 16 million copies of an album like he did with "No Fences" again. Maybe Shania or the Chicks, but that's about it. And I really doubt they will. Country is just not as popular as it was in the early 90's. Look at all the country artists who had their biggest selling albums from 1990-1994-- GB- 16m, AJ- 6m, GS- 6m, TM- 5m, B&D- 6m, and the list could go on and on.
<br>But, Garth Brooks isn't the only artist who has great songs. Just because Tim McGraw didn't sell 10 million, doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to. It pissed me off that some of the best songs on his last album weren't released as singles... and I'm getting way off topic here and it's late, or early or whatever you want to call it so I'll call it a night.N

minnesotagbfan
10-15-2000, 01:35 AM
hmmmmmmmm..lol
<br>
<br>russN

Pilgrim
10-15-2000, 06:58 AM
I think Tim should make a cover album:):):)
<br>
<br>There are good songs out there like...
<br>
<br>Folsom Prison Blues
<br>Jailhoulse Rock
<br>Jail Bar Blues
<br>Trapped
<br>Highway Patrolman
<br>Wichita Jail
<br>etc.
<br>
<br>Sorry I just couldn't resist:P:P
<br>
<br>Brian;)N