PDA

View Full Version : Garth makes a surprise visit.....

Cheryl
10-02-2000, 07:32 AM
Found this at music row:
<br>
<br>
Songwriters Inducted Into Hall of Fame
<br>Garth Makes Surprise Visit
<br>
<br>
<br>By Richard McVey II,
<br>
<br>The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted four honorees—Mac Davis, Billy Edd Wheeler, Randy Goodrum and Allen Reynolds—during last night’s (Oct. 1) ceremonies at Loews Vanderbilt Plaza in Nashville. The annual black-tie event, sponsored by the Nashville Songwriters Foundation and the Nashville Songwriters Association International, took place in front of 600 guest, several of whom were former inductees.
<br>
<br>The night’s biggest surprise came when Garth Brooks made an unannounced appearance to sing a medley of songs written by his long-time producer Allen Reynolds. Michael Johnson, Lari White and John Rich were among other artists who performed songs by the night’s honorees.
<br>
<br>Mac Davis was chosen from among songwriter/artists who had their first hit before 1980, beating out nominees Bobby Bare, Freddie Hart, John Hartford and Jerry Reed. Davis is best known for penning such classics as “In The Ghetto” and “I Believe In Music.”
<br>
<br>Reynolds and Wheeler tied for the honor among songwriters who scored their first successes before 1970. Reynolds, who began his career working at Sun Studios in Memphis, wrote such songs as “I Saw Linda Yesterday” and “Somebody Loves You.” Wheeler penned the 1963 Kingston Trio hit “The Reverend Mr. Black” and the Kenny Rogers classic “Coward Of the County,” among others.
<br>
<br>Randy Goodrum, who moved to Nashville in 1973, won in the category of songwriters who achieved their professional triumphs between 1970 and 1980. Goodrum’s songwriter successes include “You Needed Me” and “Lesson In Leavin’.”
<br>
<br>Also honored during the night was Roger Murrah, who received the President’s Award.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>N

garthsgirl
10-02-2000, 08:40 AM
Very cool, Cheryl. Thanks for posting this for us. I'm glad to see he's hanging around Nashville, even if it was only for one night. LisaN

Lost 'n' Garth
10-02-2000, 09:36 AM
Thanks Cheryl for the info!! :)
<br>
<br>Looking around at different things today and also found this article at country.com about the same thing. Pretty good article and has a picture of Allen Reynolds and Garth.
<br>
<br>Hope this link works..If not just cut and paste I guess!! :P
<br>
<br>
<br>http://www.country.com/article/mus-news-new/nash-songwriters-2000.html
<br>
<br>
<br>Cheri :)
<br>N

nelty
10-02-2000, 12:37 PM
Thanks Cheri.. that's so cool.
<br>
<br>NellyN

BlueRose
10-02-2000, 12:51 PM
Thanks Cheryl and Cheri! That's so very cool!!! :cool:
<br>
<br>Cheryl
<br>N

Pilgrim
10-02-2000, 02:33 PM
Thanks for sharing:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

Paula
10-02-2000, 04:47 PM
That's great that Garth took the time to do this for Allen Reynolds. I got a similar article in my cdnow newsletter that I was just about to post.
<br>
<br>PaulaN

loreli
10-03-2000, 06:29 AM
That's so sweet. Garth is a classy guy. :)
<br>
<br>LoriN

phillygirl4garth
10-03-2000, 11:04 AM
I love hearing about Garth's Surprise visits:)
<br>
<br>DeniseN

fuzzwuzz
10-03-2000, 05:27 PM
Here's part of that mentioned country.com article. Allen has quite a few acheivements even Garth didn't know about. I like his comment about a place only being as classy as the people who make it up. Allen has comments too...
<br>
<br>
<br>Garth Brooks Honors His Longtime Producer in Song
<br>By Michael Gray
<br>
<br>Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Inductee Allen Reynolds.
<br>
<br>Best known as Garth Brooks' producer, Allen Reynolds was recognized by his peers Sunday night (Oct. 1) for another of his musical talents -- songwriting.
<br>
<br>Brooks performed a medley of Reynolds' classics and welcomed him into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame during a formal ceremony at Loews Vanderbilt Plaza Hotel in Nashville.
<br>
<br>Mac Davis, Billy Edd Wheeler and Randy Goodrum also were inducted into the prestigious songwriters' club. Presented by the Nashville Songwriters Foundation in association with the Nashville Songwriters Association International, the 31st annual dinner and induction ceremony was hosted by NSF Chairman Wayland Holyfield and attended by some 600 music industry professionals.
<br>
<br>The dinner kicked off a week of gala events surrounding the 34th Annual Country Music Association Awards show, which airs live from the Grand Ole Opry House at 8 p.m. ET Wednesday (Oct. 4) on CBS.
<br>
<br>Reynolds has produced all of Brooks' country albums -- though not the Chris Gaines pop project -- which together have sold more copies than those of any other artist in country music history. Reynolds' publishing company, Forerunner Music, contributed the No. 1 songs "The Thunder Rolls," "Unanswered Prayers" and "That Summer" to Brooks' catalog.
<br>
<br>
<br> Garth Brooks pays tribute to his longtime producer, Allen Reynolds.
<br>Brooks admitted he was surprised to learn how much Reynolds has contributed as a songwriter.
<br>
<br>"Until they called me up to do this guy's [songs], I had no idea all the stuff this guy has done," Brooks said before he honored Reynolds in song. "Allen is the last guy who is going to tell you what he's done. He's the last guy who is going to ring his own bell."
<br>
<br>With an acoustic guitar, Brooks performed "Wrong Road Again," "Somebody Loves You" and "Ready for the Times to Get Better," Top 10 country songs Reynolds penned for Crystal Gayle in the 1970s. The country superstar rounded out the medley with "Dreaming My Dreams With You," recorded by Waylon Jennings, Alison Krauss, Collin Raye and the Cowboy Junkies, and "I Saw Linda Yesterday" and "Five O'Clock World," 1960s pop hits for Dickey Lee and The Vogues, respectively. Lee presided over Reynolds' induction.
<br>
<br>"Organizations are only as classy as the people who make them up," Brooks said to Reynolds. "This place just stepped up a notch. Congratulations."
<br>
<br>The NSAI's motto is "It all begins with a song." No one believes that more than Reynolds.
<br>
<br>"I came to town as a songwriter," he said, "and that is where my heart has always been. My proudest achievements have been the songs I've had successes with. Songwriting is the foundation. As a producer, my hardest work is looking for songs. The hardest part is done before I even step into the studio. Once you've got the right songs -- good material -- the rest falls into place."
<br>
<br>Winners were chosen from three divisions: those who established themselves before 1970, those who came to prominence from 1970-1980 and artist/songwriters who made their mark prior to 1980.
<br>
<br>N