PDA

View Full Version : When did ya'll first hear of Garth?

05-18-2000, 05:15 PM
This likely has be brought up before but I'm curious When Did you all first hear of Garth and what was you first impression? and When did you start to like him?<P> For Myself It was 1989 when he came out with his first CD that I know of At first I always got Him and Clint Black mixed up but I straightened them out quickly I Started Liking Garth the First time I heard the Dance and I like him ever since. Acctually I was into Rock before, it was Him and Reba who turned me into a Country Fan!! <P>Than God for them WoooHooo!!!!<BR>Richard. :)N

honky
05-18-2000, 05:37 PM
Richard,<P>I left a message on your another post which is in the "New Town" forum ;)<P><BR>Believe it or not, the first time I ever heard of the name <B>Garth Brooks</B> was in the summer of 98 :o And since then, I became one of Garth's biggest fans ;)<P><BR>TommyN

DixieChicken
05-18-2000, 06:21 PM
on my way back from a soccer tournament.... Rodeo. i thought it had an awesome sound to it...then i saw him in concert...and needless to say now im a LITTLE obessesed (borderline psycho - as some of my friends think ;)) but what a ride!<P> emilyN

LittleRhody
05-18-2000, 06:37 PM
I found out about Garth in the latter part of 1996. I was constantly complaining about the songs on the pop music station when my husband finally convinced me to listen to this one song, "American Honky Tonk Bar Association". I thought it was great but I still wasn't hooked. In the beginnig of 97' Garth was touring in New England so I bought tickets for my husband's birthday. I could not believe what I saw. Midway through the concert I just looked over at my husband shook my head and mouthed the words HOLY COW! The man was amazing, I am definitely hooked on Garth Brooks now. <P><BR>DianaN

GRTH FAN
05-18-2000, 06:54 PM
In 1989 a friend said that he had bought a new tape Garth Brooks! I said "Who the He** is Garth Brooks?" He looked at me like I was from Mars! So I thought I better check this guy out! After hearing that first song, I was hooked forever!! GARTH ALWAYS!<BR>Donna :)N

Anna
05-19-2000, 03:09 AM
Hi Richard,<BR>The first time I ever heard Garth Brooks, well, it wasŽnt really Garth singing, was in the winter of 1999.<BR>There was a guy playing the guitar at my favourite pub and he was taking requests when a friend of mine ( actually at that time he was more of an acquaintance) requested " any song by Brooks". What the player knew turned out to be "Friends in low places". Now IŽd heard the song before and liked it, but had no idea who sang it. So, now I had the name, and about a week later I find a tape with him at a friends house and wouldŽnt stop bothering her until I heard the whole thing.Needless to say I found myself hooked... :)<BR> AnnaN

minnesotagbfan
05-19-2000, 08:39 AM
the first time i had ever heard OF garth was right after the "no fences" cd came out and people kept talking about the beginning of the cd and the thunder at the beginning..i was all like "who cares?" the first time i heard him was back in 1994N

Pilgrim
05-19-2000, 10:27 AM
First time in 1990, but I found him BORING :(<P>Then I forgot everything about him, and learned about him again through Bruce Springsteen :)<P>BrianN

fuzzwuzz55
05-19-2000, 05:48 PM
Hey Brian! I like Bruce too! In fact, I'm originally from the Jersey shore.<BR> I probably first heard about Garth in my Christian music magazines as he works with many singers and musicians in that field. Susan Ashton is one. And all of Chris Gaines musicians I had heard of before there too. Some of them were in a band called Whiteheart who I still love. <BR> From there, I knew nothing about his music. Until my brother asked for the boxed set for Christmas. He played some of it after he opened it, but it wasn't till Chris Gaines that I 'got it' with Garth. Hearing about him is one thing, getting to know him is something totally different!N

RightNow
05-19-2000, 07:05 PM
First time I heard of Garth Brooks was when I was driving around with my father and his first single came on. It was back in 1989, I liked the song but I didn't collect music just yet. From that moment on, I've heard just about every single ever released up til about 1997. A lot of the songs I didn't even know it was Garth until i started collecting music. I then realized Garth is the singer of 90% of the songs that I really love. Then I become one of the biggest fans. Especially after I found out that "It's Midnight Cinderella" was his. I always wanted this song when It was released to radio. To find out that it belonged to my favorite Artist of all time made it better. I collected every C.D. from Garth up to 1997, except "Fresh Horses", all at about the same time. "Double Live" was about to come out when I realized i had forgotten one C.D. from Garth. When I looked on the back of the C.D. my jaw just dropped. I found one of my all time favorite songs.N

honky
05-19-2000, 08:14 PM
Anna,<P>LOL... wow you are really new fan!!<P>But I thought "Friends in low places" was so big that everyone should have known it by now right?<P><BR>TommyN

TGcraz4GB
05-20-2000, 04:02 AM
The first was when he came to Thibodaux for a concert. (opened f/Reba,I think) My mom & my sister Kellie had 3 tickets. They offered me one but I said no thanks. I wasn't interested in seeing Reba and I had never heard of Garth Brooks. Then one night I was at my moms house, she said look there he is (on tv). Well I was impressed w/ his music and his overall appearance. I guess you could say that's when I started to like him.<BR> <BR>TerriN

Pilgrim
05-20-2000, 12:52 PM
Very cool Fuzz :D<P>BrianN

klee201
05-20-2000, 06:00 PM
My sister turned me on to Garth. She asked me if I had ever heard of him and I said yes but hadn't heard anything on the radio. <BR>This is terrible but I don't remember the year, but I caught an appearance with Jay Leno and I fell in love. That smile, those eyes, the tight jeans, the laugh and most of all the voice.<BR>I was hooked and have been ever since. I read everything I could and bought tapes first and then CD's. <BR>His music has helped me through alot. The worst was the death of my Mom from cancer so I know something of the grief he's feeling.<P>Sorry that I'm a little off the subject. But Garth has been in my life about 6 years now and I hope it continues for a long time<P>Kathy <P><BR>N

NewestGBFan
05-20-2000, 08:32 PM
October 9, 1999. I heard The Dance when I accidentally tuned into a country radio station. I was completely blown away. A few days before that I had heard Chris Gaines Lost in You and thought it sounded pretty good. The DJ said it was that country guy, Garth Brooks. I was impressed that the country guy could sound like that. Then when I heard The Dance and found out it was Garth, I knew that guy with the hat could really SING.<P>ElaineN

Anna
05-22-2000, 03:06 AM
Ooohh Nooo, Tommy. Not in little old Finland. <BR> ;)N

MelMalovesGB4eva
05-22-2000, 07:17 AM
1993. The song was "That Summer" I've been "obsessed" ever since. :)N

brooks1fan
05-23-2000, 02:59 PM
Hi everybody, I'm still new to this, and haven't checked in in a while. I just had to respond to this topic though. From reading everyone else's, I feel really old. I have been a Garth fan since day one. I was married in '86, and in '89 when "Much Too Young..." came out, it fit my life almost to a tee. Since then, Garth has pretty much sang my life. The Dance has a very big impact, and so did all the others. I have only been able to see him in concert once, as I really couldn't afford it in the beginning. But I've been hooked for 10 years now, and lovin every minute of it. My friends all say I'm "obsessed" too, but...<P>Garth Forever, <P><BR>TinaN