PDA

View Full Version : Article about Garth & The Hollywood Bowl

Cheryl
05-18-2000, 05:11 AM
From countrycool.com:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Garth Goes Bowling <P>Garth Brooks will enjoy a splendid homecoming at the Hollywood Bowl June 23, 2000. Brooks and famed movie composer/orchestra conductor John Williams have been named the first inductees into the Bowl's Hall of Fame and will be the focus of the June 23 musical extravaganza.<P>Six years ago, Brooks stood a sold-out Bowl on its ear with a virtuoso performance accompanied by the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. Some 18,000 fans had the rare treat that evening of hearing him sing "The Dance" and "The Thunder Rolls" with full orchestra.<P>"It was beautiful," said Garth's brother Kelly, who is Garth's personal manager and often serves as his touring manager as well. "That was a wonderful night."<P>That Hollywood night remains one of Brooks' own favorite moments in a long and brilliant career that has now seen Garth become one of the top-selling artists of the 20th century. Specific details regarding the June 23 program are still in the works, but both Garth Brooks and John Williams are scheduled to perform.<P>David Barber, who works in Hollywood for the Bowl and the Los Angeles Philharmonic, said Monday that Garth's 1994 show was also a real highlight for the Bowl, which opened in 1920.<P>"That was one of the most well-attended and fondly-remembered events that's happened at the Hollywood Bowl," Barber said from California Monday morning. "To have anyone sell the venue out is amazing. That really made a mark, and it was one of the events of the decade." <P>Fellow inductee John Williams may be one of the greatest film composers in history, and he is just a "part-time" composer. For 14 years, he was full-time conductor of the legendary Boston Pops orchestra and has also been guest conductor of the L.A. Philharmonic during its summer series at the Bowl since the late 1970s. Williams is slated to conduct a concert of film music called "An Evening Of Movie Memories at the Bowl" this Aug. 18-19. <P>Williams has composed the music and served as music director for over 80 films, has garnered five Oscars, and been nominated for Academy Awards a whopping 38 times—the most of anyone alive today. Among Williams' best-known scores were those for "E.T.," "Superman," "Star Wars," "Jaws" and "Schindler's List."<P>When Garth Brooks learned he had been chosen for this honor, he was delighted. "It's fantastic," Kelly Brooks said. "The biggest thing is that the Hollywood Bowl is a legendary place. Garth is not the biggest fan of amphitheaters (such as the Bowl). He likes arenas, but he said that the Hollywood Bowl was such a great place.<P>"[And] having the orchestra behind him," Kelly continued. "That same orchestra that backed up Garth six years ago on his unforgettable renditions of "The Dance" and "The Thunder Rolls"—the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra—will accompany him again June 23.<P>The Bowl Orchestra has backed opera stars like Luciano Pavarotti, pop legends such as Tony Bennett and Chicago, and country stars like Trisha Yearwood and Garth. The Bowl itself is one of the largest natural amphitheaters in the world, and may be the most famous. It was featured in the classic 1937 David O. Selznick film "A Star Is Born" (two years later, Selznick gave the world "Gone With The Wind"). <P>The Beatles played the Bowl in 1964, when Garth was 2 years old. Bob Dylan, another of Garth's heroes, played the Bowl in '65; The Rolling Stones debuted there the following year; at a 1968 Doors' concert, four of the five Stones attended; Jimi Hendrix played the Bowl later that summer.<P>Garth would certainly agree with the sentiments of the brilliant singer/songwriter James Taylor, who said in 1971: "When you play the Hollywood Bowl, you have a feeling—like at Carnegie Hall or the Royal Albert Hall in London—that you are playing in a major place, a place that has a lot of weight and is an important part of musical history. You have a feeling of having arrived," Taylor concluded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><p>[Note: This message has been edited by Cheryl]N

minnesotagbfan
05-18-2000, 05:32 AM
thanks for posting the article :)N

garthsgirl
05-18-2000, 05:36 AM
Thank you for posting this for everyone. I wonder if the event will be televised?? LisaN

nelty
05-18-2000, 05:38 AM
Thanks Cheryl<P>You know it's GREAT to know that, he is happy again. :)<P>NellyN

Pilgrim
05-18-2000, 09:01 AM
Thanks for sharing :)<P>BrianN

countyfair_85
05-18-2000, 02:35 PM
Thank-you Cheryl for taking the time to post that info for all of us!<P>I wonder if it will be recorded for tv?<P>I'd love to see that!<BR>-DianeN

honky
05-18-2000, 05:42 PM
Ok.. sorry for asking this stupid question, but what is a <B>Bowl</B>? What is the shape of this building? like a bowl? ;)<P><BR>Thanks for sharing!!<P><BR>TommyN

Cheryl
05-18-2000, 06:02 PM
Tommy....it's kinda shell shaped. Looking at it from the front, it looks like a half circle, and gets smaller towards the back. Kinda hard to explain, I guess. They have a web site that has some pictures at <A HREF="http://www.hollywoodbowl.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hollywoodbowl.com</A> Click on "about the bowl" and you'll see a pic of the front.<BR>Hope that helps. :)N

Cheryl
05-18-2000, 06:03 PM
Oops, I forgot to say that it isn't a building at all....more like a sheltered area. The seating is open air.N

CountryBee
05-18-2000, 10:18 PM
Someone asked if the Hollywood Bowl Gala might be televised. I seem to remember that one of the local Los Angeles TV stations, KCOP Channel 13, televised the opening Galas as Specials a couple of times. That was several years ago, before they became part of UPN.<BR>BeeN

countyfair_85
05-18-2000, 11:08 PM
Thanks for answering my question Bee! :)<BR>I do hope it's televised so we can all see Garth bowl...lol j/k<BR>-DianeN