PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Watchin The Latin Grammies...

no1cowgirl
09-13-2000, 05:35 PM
This is really cool 'cause Latin music is finally getting the respect they deserve.
<br>
<br>Anyway, that's not what I was getting to. I'm watching the commercials, and one is for the CMA's (which are on October 4th--WATCH and cross your fingers for Brad!!! *L*) Anyways...the way I figure (or the way CBS figures) there are only 4 Country Music artists anymore. They are:
<br>
<br>Tim McGraw
<br>Faith Hill
<br>Shania Twain
<br>Dixie Chicks
<br>
<br>'Cause they're like 'COME WATCH --Insert 4 Stars Here-- on the CMA's, October 4th...blah blah blah blah blah.'
<br>
<br>I'm like....HELLO? Is there no one else who records and makes hit records anymore. I mean, they didn't even show the faces for mention the rest of country artists at all.
<br>
<br>I dunno, this just made me kinda mad. I mean I TOTALLY understand that those four are VERY popular right now, and I understand that! But, C'mon CBS! Mention George Strait and Brooks & Dunn OR EVEN BRAD! (hint, hint, hint--hehehehe) and them other artists who are crankin out hits, too! :( I guess that's just the way it is....
<br>
<br>Sorry, I needed to vent.
<br>
<br>
<br>Krista<P>(This message has been edited by no1cowgirl)N

loreli
09-13-2000, 06:34 PM
So even the CMA's have gone pop?
<br>
<br>I think that's too bad. Brad is one of the biggest hits in country right now..he deserves to be recognized. :)
<br>
<br>Did you read that article in Country Weeekly by Martina McBride talking about Faith Hill's success? I get the feeling Faith isn't that envied.
<br>
<br>Lori :)<P>(This message has been edited by loreli)N

minnesotagbfan
09-13-2000, 11:43 PM
i am getting really tired of faith hill and if i am not mistaken jo dee messina is the hottest female in country right now:) i was always thinking that the entertainer would either be tim or the chicks but punching a UNIFORMED cop probably blew someones chance...so the award will go to the chicks probably ..and oh yeah..the biggest story of the year...some guy sold his 100 millionth cd...think they will even bother to acknowledge that??
<br>
<br>russN

Pilgrim
09-14-2000, 02:50 AM
Thanks for sharing:)
<br>
<br>Faith and Shania rocks!:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

no1cowgirl
09-14-2000, 07:48 AM
Lori-
<br> Yeah, I know.....there's a lotta things about Faith hill that people in Nashville don't like, I think...well, as far as her success has gone. And she really doesn't care, either, really....she kinda said so on her Behind The Music on VH1.
<br>
<br>Russ-
<br> Amen! Maybe they will recognize him...I dunno, but yeah I think Jo Dee is the one who's really popular right now, especially with 'Burn' coming out. I love Jo Dee (sorry I killed her song in Nashville *LOL*). But, I mean, give some other people recognition. Especially Garth-being the only solo artist to sell 100 million.
<br>
<br>Dang, anyways....I'm still a lil mad about this. Well, really mad...anyways. Thanks fer letting me vent, y'all.
<br>
<br>
<br>KristaN

Anonymous
09-14-2000, 09:35 AM
Here's my question--Why are there Latin Grammy Awards but no Country Grammy awards? And no, the CMA Awards or the ACM awards do not count as a country grammy. All we get on the actual grammy's are at most 4 categories.
<br>
<br>Also, the CMA awards went pop a long time ago. Look at how many times Faith has won and the fact that they wouldn't let George Jones sing on the show. All CBS cares about is a young, hip audience and George Strait ain't gonna bring that in.N

no1cowgirl
09-14-2000, 02:28 PM
Anonymous-
<br> Well, apparantly, Latin music is more important than Country. Just remember, you'll be 'Country, When Country Wasn't Cool.'
<br> What CBS doesn't realize, though, is that, just like the rest of the country music business, these people who are doing all this -pop country- are killing the orginal country audience. They're loosing the fans of 'real' country and they're shying away from the genre (or lack thereof) and they're loosing Concert, Album and Fan Fair sales. And you'll see that they're payin big time for it now. Oh well, their loss. Maybe, someday, they'll learn!
<br>
<br>Krista<P>(This message has been edited by no1cowgirl)N

no1cowgirl
09-14-2000, 03:50 PM
Anonymous-
<br> By the way, the CMA's didn't refuse to let George Jones play his song, they just wanted to cut it in half. George refused to sing half of his hit song. So, it was still the CMA's fault, but I just wanted to let you know that they didn't not let him sing on the show.
<br>
<br>KristaN

Anonymous
09-14-2000, 04:14 PM
Krista--they might as well have said that he couldn't sing on the show. Who would agree to sing a one minute version of their song? Yeah it's tv time but it's not the same song.
<br>Also, do you think CBS cares about the state of country music? No. They just want Faith fans to watch. That's all they care about. Ratings. Bottom line. The CMA should try to limit the air time of the more pop people so that the true country music gets out there. They won't do that though. The CMA tend to awards artist that go pop so it's all about the ratings. The only way to get an award show that truly represents country would be to have one that is not televised. Personally I have no reason to care about any of it. There were no surprises in this years crop of nominations and I doubt there will ever be any in the future. N

splitzer
09-16-2000, 01:22 AM
They're shooting themselves in the foot. GENERALLY (no offense intended!!), pop music fans are very fickle. They are the #1 fan of you one minute, and someone else's #1 fan the next. The loyal fans are being pushed away in favor of fans who won't remember in a year. The industry will learn the hard way.
<br>
<br>Garth Always,
<br>Danielle
<br>
<br>N

no1cowgirl
09-16-2000, 07:41 AM
Danielle-
<br> Yeah, I agree. And that's what I was saying about it. Sales are droppin dramatically and record execs. are running around pulling their hair out wondering WHY!?! I mean, c'mon! Ya know?? Yet they still produce and release new artists that are more pop than country and wonder why why why why why.
<br>
<br>MAYBE--when heck freezes over--they're learn. Maybe not even then.
<br>
<br>
<br>KristaN

cybersadie
09-19-2000, 04:58 AM
I agree with everyone about the way country is advertised these days. I love Tim, Faith and the Chicks as much as the next gal but there are plenty of other really talented, really popular (and really selling 100 million) country artists right now.
<br>
<br>But I guess, I was brought into country by the popularity of Vince Gill and the early nineties hat acts (the big guy included). Back then, it didn't seem like there was anyone but GB, Clint Black and Alan Jackson. And I'm sure there were people who resented that. But now I appreciate country music as a whole. So maybe some of these fans who are attracted by the glitz and glitter of Shania will stick around for the substance of the real heavy-hitters.
<br>
<br>For Anonymous and No1cowgirl --
<br>
<br>I don't think that the implication is that Latin music is more important than country music. There have always been Latin grammy's that were just never televised before whats-his-face started shaking his bonbon. It's just that there is a whole continent that primarily listens to spanish-language music. And none of the Americentric (or at least Anglocentric)mainstream grammies really address that.N

Anonymous
09-19-2000, 08:39 AM
cybersadie, this year was the First Annual Latin Grammy awards. Sorry, they have not been around for ever. It took one guy to shake his bon bon to get the Latin Grammy awards. If I were a fan of Latin music I'd be a little insulted by that.N

no1cowgirl
09-20-2000, 01:26 PM
cybersadie-
<br> I agree. I hope they do stick around. But the hard thing is--there are statistics that show that the Pop fans don't stick around very long, therefore country music is suffering because they are trying to produce pop country and keep country's core audience at the same time. Like someone said--Pop fans are very finicky--and there's a lot of truth and proof towards that. This is just a really viscious cycle, and it's really starting to bother me. I hope that I can help change that with my music and with my involvement in the business side of the music business.
<br>
<br>
<br>KristaN

no1cowgirl
09-20-2000, 06:07 PM
*L* Viscious?
<br>Looks like I'm trying to spell viscosity or something *L*
<br>
<br>that was supposed to be vicious.
<br>
<br>KristaN