PDA

View Full Version : Garth at Reds/NYM Game!!!!

crazyaboutgb4ever
09-06-2000, 04:55 AM
That's right Garth was no more than 10 miles from my home here in cincinnati last night. So close but yet so far away. I guess he came to see the New York Mets play.
<br>My boyfriend was watching the game and yelled GARTH BROOKS.....HURRY!!!! of course I about broke my neck getting to the t.v. to catch a glance of him. He was sitting in a private booth down by the field looking so content. The announcer said the mets just loved him because of the devotion he has to his fans. Gotta love that. I watched the game to the ending hoping I'd get to see him again. I really wanted to rush down to the stadium but decided not to. I'ts nice to see him enjoying himself doing something he enjoys so much. I hope he doesn't retire:( I have to have one of those Garth hugs everyone has talked about. I will BELIEVE!!!!
<br>Thanks,
<br>~annaN

Cheryl
09-06-2000, 05:16 AM
Wow Anna....very cool, having Garth just 10 miles down the road from ya! :) It musta been hard not running right down to the stadium!<P>(This message has been edited by Cheryl)N

loreli
09-06-2000, 06:13 AM
Very cool Anna :)
<br>
<br>At least your boyfriend recognizes what's important. :)
<br>
<br>LoriN

Jen19
09-06-2000, 06:26 AM
Here is an article .. why he was there..
<br>
<br>Mets Snap Slide for
<br>Garth's Sake
<br>By T.J. QUINN
<br>Daily News Sports Writer
<br>
<br>CINCINNATI
<br>
<br> Mets 3
<br>Reds 2
<br>(10)
<br>
<br>Sometime Monday night during dinner, after more than a few beers had been passed around, someone thought it would be a good idea to get Garth Brooks on the phone.
<br>
<br>Al Leiter, Robin Ventura, Todd Zeile and a few others had heard their spring training teammate wanted to come pay a visit, so they called him and told him to make the trip from Oklahoma to Cincinnati.
<br>
<br>Okay, the country music legend said, but he also had a piece of advice for Zeile. He didn't like the stirrup look on the first baseman and suggested he drop his pant cuffs back down to modern levels.
<br>
<br>
<br>Todd Zeile receives a warm reception in the dugout after hitting the go-ahead homer in the 10th.
<br>"He said, 'That's for fast cats, so put 'em down I've seen you run,'" Zeile said.
<br>
<br>With his pants reset for slugging rather than sprinting, Zeile slammed a Scott Sullivan pitch over the left field wall in the 10th inning last night, giving the Mets a 3-2 win over the Cincinnati Reds and bringing an end to their third annual September swoon.
<br>
<br>The losing streak ended at four games, and the mood in the clubhouse brightened like the desert sky after a storm.
<br>
<br>"It's nice to feel like you finally came through," Zeile said.
<br>
<br>The Mets were guaranteed at least one break before the game began, as the Atlanta Braves and Arizona Diamondbacks played each other. With Atlanta winning, the Mets stayed one game back in the NL East and extended their wild card lead to five games.
<br>
<br>"I was scared to death I would jinx them," Brooks said. "But with the run they were in, I figured it couldn't hurt."
<br>
<br>Brooks was just one of the good luck charms the Mets looked to in near-desperation.
<br>
<br>Early in the game, the Lone Ranger got up and did a dance in the crowd (he left before anyone could thank him), and in the 10th inning a few Mets employed a beer rally to get things going, running into the clubhouse to pound a brew. It's an old tradition, and one that involved only players who were out of the game, manager Bobby Valentine said.
<br>
<br>
<br>Rick Reed lasted 6 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs.
<br>Losing turns players into detectives who search for the tiniest clues for their fate. What's the one thing that will break the logjam and unleash the hits? Was it Dmitri Young getting thrown out at the plate by rookie Timoniel Perez in the second inning? Was it Zeile's other hit, a single in the fourth that drove in Edgardo Alfonzo for a 2-0 Mets lead?
<br>
<br>"You like to do that you look for the little things," Valentine said.
<br>
<br>But it was Brooks, the hitless hit-maker who sat in a camera well next to the Mets dugout, who apparently jump-started the mojo. It was the first major league game he has ever attended from start to finish, he said.
<br>
<br>"I saw everything," he said.
<br>
<br>He almost saw a mere variation on a theme the Mets have perfected on this road trip. For the fifth night in a row the Mets were semingly going to waste the effort of a starting pitcher, this time Rick Reed. He lasted 6 1/3 innings, giving up two earned runs. The second run was allowed by reliever Rick White, and should have been unearned. A poor scorer's decision gave a hit to D.T. Cromer instead of an error to shortstop Kurt Abbott, who bounced the throw to first on a routine grounder.
<br>
<br>In the bottom of the ninth, the game tied, Turk Wendell threw an inside fastball that almost became the third walkoff home run (and fifth walkoff loss) in five games. Ken Griffey Jr. crushed it, sending it into the third deck in right, but just foul. Wendell, a Massachusetts native, did his best reverse-Carlton Fisk impression, waving and wishing the ball past the pole.
<br>
<br>Wendell (7-4) ended up striking Griffey out, putting himself in line for the win, and Armando Benitez got his 37th save in a perfect ninth.
<br>
<br>The offense, however, is still not out of its funk. Ventura, who plays a vital role as Mike Piazza's protection in the lineup, now has three hits in his last 39 at-bats, an almost inexcusable .077 average over that period.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>JEN
<br>N

crazyaboutgb4ever
09-06-2000, 07:21 AM
jen,
<br>Thanks for the info!
<br>~annaN

Teach
09-06-2000, 07:41 AM
I posted on GarthTV that this was reported on Sportscenter on ESPN this morning and showed GB hugging Robin Ventura. N

CincyGarthFan#1
09-06-2000, 01:22 PM
Friends - I got a long distance phone call from a friend who was watching the game on cable. Needless to say within minutes I was in my car on my way to the stadium. 13 miles later I bought a seat from a scalper on the street
<br>(cheap!) and in I went! He was there right in front of my eyes. It has been WAY too long! I really needed a fix :-). I again did not get my Garthmoment, but he looked incredible. I sure miss him.
<br>Maybe in Nashville, I could only hope! There were so many signs this weekend, I am so glad I went down to just look at him. I went back again today but one of the Metz players (White) told us he went home last night. Well we can all dream I guess.........N

Pilgrim
09-06-2000, 01:47 PM
Thanks for sharing:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

honky
09-06-2000, 05:10 PM
CincyGarthFan#1,
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing!! Whew... yo are lucky to spot Garth!
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

ferretcrazy
09-07-2000, 01:34 PM
AAARRRGGGHHH!! sorry just had to get that out. I was in Cinci. on friday thru Monday evening visiting my sister. If I would have stayed one more day...:( Oh well...37 more days!!!!!:) :)
<br>
<br> JoanN

garthsgirl
09-08-2000, 04:30 AM
I posted this on the GarthBall forum, but i'll post it here too. After finding out he was at the game, I checked the paper for the following day, and sure enough there was a little blurb in the Mets column that said some of the players asked Garth if he was coming back next spring, and he said he would love to if they didn't think he would be jinxing him. LisaN

garthaddict
09-10-2000, 02:23 PM
Cincy,Was Sandy or anyone else with Garth at the game?N