PDA

View Full Version : Country duo tune up for revival

nelty
08-22-2000, 06:06 PM
Country duo tune up for revival by Denis Armstrong (Ottawa sun)
<br>
<br>Rick and Val, the local country singers once more pupular than Garth Brooks, are teaming up again for a concert at Walter Baker Park in Kanata tomorrow.
<br>
<br>What makes this sounds of Summersoncert speical is that the pair haven't sung together in four years, but the Texas Swing duet didn't have to go far to find each other. They've been making matrimomial music since 1985.
<br>
<br>Singing together for 20 years, Rick McSheffrey, 47, and Val 37, met at a local talent competition, with the winner taking home "gallons of gas," laughed Rick.
<br>
<br>He was a young country balladeer who idlized Merle Haggard and she was a blues singer with a penchant for Etta james and Billie Holiday. then, one day Rick played Emmylou Harris, Val packed her blues away and Rick and Bal's Texas Swing sound was born.
<br>
<br>they got their first break in 1980 at Aylmer's Corner Club. Too green to know better, the pair had only eight song in their lineup and four hours to fill.
<br>
<br>"We sang those songs backwards and forwards, talked with the audience and then sang'em again," said McSheffery.
<br>
<br>They had 20 new tunes the following week.
<br>
<br>Rick and Val won the CKBY -now y105-talent show in 1984, going on to write and record their first CD. One Step at a time in the early 90s.
<br>
<br>"I had to pull the car over onto the shoulder the first time I heard out first single we can love by carol Baker on the radio," said McSheffrey. "The tears were falling pretty hard"
<br>
<br>One step at a time was released the same time as Garth Brooks' first CD Garth Brooks. which "altered the course of modern country" said McSheffrey "Garth made country edgier just at the time I came out with a CD of ballads and blue grass harmonies"
<br>
<br>Still the independently produced and marketed one step at a time out sold Brooks locally, amassing more than 2000 unit sales. Ricka nd Val toured until the mid 90's when the road got too hard and the venues too small.
<br>
<br>But the times they are a changing said Rick. "the music's getting awary from rock and going back to its roots."
<br>
<br>Rick and Bal perform with champion fiddler Louis Schreyer, bass-player Lional Turpin, Rob McLeod on drums and Pat McLaughlin on lead and steel guitar at Walter Baker Park tomorrow from 6pm to 8pm
<br>
<br>I got this from Aug 12th, 2000 newspaper... :) Enjoy.
<br>
<br>nelly
<br>N

Pilgrim
08-23-2000, 01:51 AM
Thanks for sharing:)
<br>
<br>BrianN