PDA

View Full Version : Country Weekly~~~Garth

Teresa Morris
08-19-2000, 08:04 AM
TUG OF WAR
<br>Ambition and family are tearing Garth Brooks apart
<br>
<br>Garth Brooks is tossing and turning. He admits to many restless, sleepless nights . . . gazing at the ceiling . . . pondering the ultimate question: Should he stay, or should he go?
<br>
<br>He's torn between the love for his family and his relentless ambition. Worlds are colliding at raceway speed, ignited by a year of life-changing events.
<br>
<br>Here's what's pulling him away from the spotlight:
<br>
<br>The death of his mother, Colleen, last year
<br>
<br>Moving his family back to his native state of Oklahoma
<br>
<br>Reaching his long-stated goal of selling 100 million albums
<br>
<br>What's keeping him in the game:
<br>
<br>The opportunity to redeem himself from the flop of his pop alter ego, Chris Gaines <Excuse me! That's not a done deal yet!!>
<br>
<br>The unexpected success of "When You Come Back To Me Again," which became a "comeback" hit -- even though it was originally recorded solely for a movie soundtrack, not as a radio single
<br>
<br>His desire to beat The Beatles' total album sales of 113. 5 million
<br>
<br>The flame first hit the gasoline on television's "Crook & Chase" last December when Garth revealed that at the end of 2000 he would "probably" announce the decision to retire.
<br>
<br>Garth cited family concerns, particularly his relationship with wife Sandy. "Our marriage is not in a good place," he would later comment. "My career has been very hard on her."
<br>
<br>The death of Garth's mom dealt another crushing blow. Once a recording artist in her own right during the '50s, Colleen inspired Garth in his pursuit of musical stardom. Garth even dedicated the tune "It's Your Song" to her.
<br>
<br>Then there are his three daughters - Taylor, 8; August, 6; and Allie, 4 -- whom he fears are growing up without him.
<br>
<br>"I feel like I've been a good dad the times I've been home," says Garth, his voice slightly trembling. "But if you put your name on something, you should give everything you've got to it. I put my name on those babies. The time has come to settle down and focus on them. Nothing is more important than my family."
<br>
<br>To prove it, Garth has just taken the most dramatic step of his personal life -- moving his family back to Oklahoma. He recently bought property, reportedly in his hometown of Yukon, where he plans to set up a new family homestead.
<br>
<br>"They are going to build a house there," confirms Capitol Records exec Karen Byrd. "The main reason he wants to move is so that the children can be closer to their grandparents."
<br>
<br>But there are signs Garth isn't ready to sit back in his home on the range just yet. With the surprise hit "When You Come Back To Me Again," Garth now appears to be remounting the saddle.
<br>
<br>The song became a radio hit despite the absence of any promotion from Garth or his record label. The producers of the film Frequency asked him to write and perform a tune just for the film's closing credits.
<br>
<br>"When they said, 'No single, no soundtrack,' I sat there with my jaw open," recalls Garth, who co-wrote the song with frequent collaborator Jenny Yates.
<br>
<br>"No one's done that in years. It seems like everything's always done for a commercial reason, but they were interested in making a statement of class."
<br>
<br>Garth made a simple music video for the tune, intercutting his face with scenes from the movie. But when radio got wind of a new bona fide Garth song (after Garth's singles as the invented pop character Chris Gaines failed to climb the charts), they had to have it -- by whatever means possible.
<br>
<br>"The stations were [recording] the sound from the video," explains Capitol's Byrd. "We didn't have a single, because there were never any plans to release it."
<br>
<br>But by then, the horse was out of the stable -- so the label made higher-quality copies for radio stations.
<br>
<br>"From the moment we played the record, the reaction from listeners was euphoric," raves Eric Logan, who heads WQYK in Tampa, Fla., one of the first stations to air the song. "They think it's the best thing they've heard from Garth in a long time."
<br>
<br>TV also ecstatically embraced the song -- the video for "When You Come Back To Me Again" was a summer mainstay on CMT and GAC. "We have the first thing I've written in five years, and I feel very fortunate to get a lot of requests for it," admits Garth.
<br>
<br>That should tell the superstar something, says Logan. "Hopefully, the message Garth receives is that there is an enormous appetite for his music," says the radio programmer, "and the fans want him back!"
<br>
<br>Chris LeDoux, a longtime Brooks buddy, speaks for his fellow artists. "We all need Garth on the radio," says Chris. "He has given us music that really means something. It's great to see him getting back on the charts."
<br>
<br>Seeing his name on the charts again is only one enticement for Garth to return to the arena. Even after passing the magical 100-million mark, he still trails The Beatles' all-time record for most albums sold.
<br>
<br>"The question will come up," said Garth recently. "Do we want to go after The Beatles? That's one of the things that keeps you awake at night. I have always said that we make music for no other reason than making music. You don't want to be remembered just for how many units you've sold. You want to be remembered for your music."
<br>
<br>Whether we will have any new music to remember is still up in the air. "I have never done an album without a tour, and I'm not sure I want to tour again," admits Garth candidly.
<br>
<br>"But I can't even begin to address that until I get my family life in order. What I need to do is work on my marriage, and my relationship with Sandy, because it needs it."
<br>
<br>Most of the work Garth will do in the next few months will be private; he has only committed recently to two public appearances.
<br>
<br>One was a performance at the famed Hollywood Bowl in June, where he was inducted into the venue's prestigious Hall of Fame. The other will take place October 13-15 in Nashville, where Garth will participate in the Grand Ole Opry's 75th anniversary celebration.
<br>
<br>Garth also continues to sacrifice a parcel of his time for The Lamb, a movie project that has been in the pipeline for more than a year. The Lamb would star Garth's pop-star alter ego, Chris Gaines.
<br>
<br>In a bold stroke, Garth released the album Garth Brooks ... In The Life Of Chris Gaines before the movie had even been written. But album sales didn't meet expectations, and his "identity crisis" left many fans confused.
<br>
<br>"If the studio decides not to green-light the project," he concedes, "then I'll live with the fact that this is never going to happen."
<br>
<br>Garth is reticent, however, to predict what will happen. "Mostly, this is a good time for me to be quiet, sit on the sidelines," he says softly, "and just watch a while.
<br>
<br>"You've got to remember that I'm the last guy who wants to see it over for Garth Brooks," he says. "But it's not up to me. When the people are through with me, then it's over."
<br>
<br>We'll all be watching -- and listening -- for his next move.
<br>
<br>--------------------------------------------------------
<br>The following is my reply to this article in CW and to a direct quote Garth makes in the article. I emailed it to CW today.
<br>
<br>"But it's not up to me. When the people are through with me, then it's over."---Garth Brooks
<br>
<br>Garth, we will only be "through" with you when time ceases to be no more. We're like a lighthouse, in the harbor, shining faithfully. And we WILL wait, till you come back to us again. You are the one who brought us to this dance. Life without your music and you isn't ideally what any of your fans want. But, what we want most of all, we want for you. We love you. Be happy. Follow your heart. As you always told us, now is our chance to tell you, "BELIEVE".
<br>
<br>Teresa
<br>
<br>
<br>N

Paula
08-19-2000, 08:20 AM
Teresa,
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing the article, and I look forward to seeing your response in the next issue of Country Weekly (which reminds me, how is Judy...I haven't seen anything from her recently).
<br>
<br>Paula
<br>N

phillygirl4garth
08-19-2000, 08:34 AM
Great response Teresa:)
<br>
<br>DeniseN

Pilgrim
08-19-2000, 09:35 AM
Great article:):):):):):):):):)
<br>
<br>I think he should carry on because we are DEFINITELY NOT through with him:):):):)
<br>
<br>He could aim for the 200 million albums and I would definitely do MY share of buying albums:):)
<br>If course he shouls tour as well:):)
<br>here he should look at Springsteen and see how it can be done to fit in with family life if he is concerned about that:)
<br>
<br>Thanks a lot for sharing Teresa:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

loreli
08-19-2000, 11:48 AM
Nope, I dont think Garth is done. :)
<br>
<br>Great article and great responce Theresa. :)
<br>
<br>Lori :)N

honky
08-19-2000, 11:59 AM
Brian,
<br>
<br>Hey... that is the best thing you have ever said!! *ROFLOL*
<br>
<br>
<br>I read this article last night and I didn't like the way that countryweekly is constantly talking about Garth's retirement. The decision has not been made, so just wait and see :)
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

hugeGBnutt
08-19-2000, 12:39 PM
pretty good article, and i didn't know The Beatles had a long lost 5th member!;) lol...i thought that was pretty funny
<br>
<br>aRiN

Cheryl
08-19-2000, 12:46 PM
The picture of the front cover is up here at PG....click over on the left hand side of the page under "latest news". I read the article last night too....and thought what a crock. Country Weekly has, IMHO, steadily been declining to the point of trashy. I mean, most of these quotes are gathered up from other recent (and not so recent) interviews with other sources - other than Country Weekly, and then they go on to rehash old news.... Seems they are at it again...just using the picture and the name to sell their magazine. The quote about Garth wanting to be the last guy to see it over....wasn't that from an interview way back in 91? I mean, the article implies that it is a recent quote, but who is to know that for sure? But what really ticks me off is the line about WYCBTMA being considered a "come back song". EXCUSE ME?????? :rolleyes: Geesh....he aint been anywhere yet to come back from.
<br>
<br>Teresa.....I do hope they print your response. :)N

Monica Lockhart
08-19-2000, 12:47 PM
(Picks self up off floor..)
<br>
<br>Brian!!!
<br>
<br>What a wonderful comment you made!! :)
<br>Teresa,
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing this article...your response was nothing less than perfect as usual. Thanks for putting into words what so many of us feel!
<br>
<br>MoniN

loreli
08-19-2000, 01:52 PM
ACK!!!
<br>
<br>I just saw the cover..where's Garth been, if this is his comeback?? lol
<br>
<br>LoriN

honky
08-19-2000, 05:09 PM
Cheryl,
<br>
<br>Yes.. you expressed exactly the way I wanted to say :)
<br>
<br>I think CountryWeekly is nothin' better than a tabloid now. I used to buy it, but I guess I won't buy it for a long time!
<br>
<br>The quotes are from long time ago.. and what they did is to reuse the quotes and rearrange them into another useless paragraph :(
<br>
<br>
<br>Who doesn't know that Garth is laying low? who doesn't know that Garth has released WYCBTMA? who doesn't know that Garth is only behind to The Beattles? NOTHIN' ON THE ARTICLE IS NEW!
<br>
<br>
<br>They shouldn't used Garth on the front cover as if they had the latest news about him.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

GRTH FAN
08-19-2000, 05:13 PM
Teresa, Your comment was great, and Garth, watch from the sidelines as long as you need to, but remember... ONE WITH NO DREAM IS A LOST SOUL!! so keep dreaming Hero!!
<br>Donna :)N

Vanessa
08-19-2000, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the article Teresa!! :) :) In my own opinion, that Garth, in his own time will make his own decisions and even though if those decisions are hard; I think that we'll all be here for him and back him up 100% am I right? I know that it must be hard for him to try to to make those decisions. I agree with what Tommy said!! hehehhhee :) :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

nelty
08-19-2000, 06:47 PM
I got the mag at 10pm as soon as Cheri told me that Garth's on the cover... LOL
<br>
<br>GOT DRESSED and OUT THE DOOR to the 7-11..... hehe:)
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>NellyN

jenn_7
08-19-2000, 07:24 PM
Well, I've been looking for this, but they still have the Alan Jackson one at the PX. Guess I don't need to buy it now that I've read it all here...although one more picture of Garth wouldn't hurt... jenn_7
<br>Nelly, did you ever get that money order?N

GBsgirl
08-20-2000, 03:24 AM
The picture of Garth at the Oscars is definetly worth the price of the magazine !!!! OOOHHHHH BABY!!!!!!
<br>
<br>PamN

garthsgirl
08-20-2000, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the posting of the article Teresa. I, too, sent them an email yesterday after reading it. Garth made a comeback...yeah, right....the man never left, he's just laying low a bit. LisaN

BigGfan4life
08-20-2000, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the article :) I wholeheartedly agree with all of you ~ what is this big "comeback" they are talking about? Just because Garth has been out of the spotlight doesn't mean that he has stopped with music altogether!! I think he deserves this time to be with his family, and he should know that his fans will ALWAYS be here for him! :) I'd probably buy one of his albums if all he did on it was read the phone book! ;)N

boppityboo
08-20-2000, 02:12 PM
I didn't see the cover her first, I was in the grocery store and his face jumped right out at me. lol. CHERYL, I totally agree with your post. As soon as I read the part of them saying CG was a flop, I immediately thought, 'oh no, now what are they gonna say?'. I don't buy the mag anymore unless Garth is in it or on the cover. :) Ken saw the cover and read the first line and said what a 'pile of crock' they just want to sell magazines.' He is sooo right. He doesn't even follow Garth news and he saw right away for what it was. To make money on the pic of Garth on the cover.. what Garthfan is NOT going to pick it up?? as much as they don't like the mag. lol.
<br>
<br> Nelly, Ken will be glad to know you ran down to your local 7-Eleven.. ;)hehe
<br>
<br>COMEBACK??!! HAH!, those writers should find a brain...
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Have a Garthriffic day,
<br>Ellie :)
<br>
<br>
<br>P.S. Isn't that cover the same one as the one on Modern Scrren mag's a while back with the headline 'Madman or Mogul?' :eek: They can't even get their own pix now??N

boppityboo
08-20-2000, 02:19 PM
I didn't see the cover her first, I was in the grocery store and his face jumped right out at me. lol. CHERYL, I totally agree with your post. As soon as I read the part of them saying CG was a flop, I immediately thought, 'oh no, now what are they gonna say?'. I don't buy the mag anymore unless Garth is in it or on the cover. :) Ken saw the cover and read the first line and said what a 'pile of crock' they just want to sell magazines.' He is sooo right. He doesn't even follow Garth news and he saw right away for what it was. To make money on the pic of Garth on the cover.. what Garthfan is NOT going to pick it up?? as much as they don't like the mag. lol.
<br>
<br> Nelly, Ken will be glad to know you ran down to your local 7-Eleven.. ;)hehe
<br>
<br>COMEBACK??!! HAH!, those writers should find a brain...
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Ellie :)
<br>
<br>
<br>P.S. Isn't that cover the same one as the one on a country mag a while back with the headline 'Madman or Mogul?' :eek: They can't even get their own pix now??N

boppityboo
08-20-2000, 02:22 PM
OOPS! Sorry for the now TRIPLE post. lol
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Ellie :)N

fuzzwuzz
08-20-2000, 03:47 PM
Seems to me when we spend all this time encouraging Garth to hang in there, that we are the ones that assume he even left us in the first place! I wasn't there for all the 'fun' times. This is all I have. Garth sings "When You Come Back To Me Again" as if he is the one who got left behind all alone. Perhaps it is us who need to drop all this retirement talk and be as faithful a fan as he has been a beacon for us. I wonder the struggle he must go through deciding whether we are really ready for a new album, when we haven't even scratched the surface with his most recent releases. From what I can tell, Sevens was basically ignored compared to his past stuff. Yet his heart is so into that music. And, if Chris Gaines is a flop as implied, than so are his fans! Again, Garth's heart is invested in that dude. So is mine. I plan on finding out with him just what that guy can do. I'm keepin' it real no matter what.
<br> Sorry, I get so hysterical over 'talk' about what Garth will or will not do. If I'm not in it for the long haul than what's the sense of even bothering? I believe Garth is in it for the duration too. It just may not be in the way we would want it.
<br> Ok, I'm gonna simma down na!N

GRTH FAN
08-20-2000, 07:39 PM
To me "Sevens" and The Chris Gaines project is some of his best! I will always be there no matter what happens!! FOR THE LONG HAUL!!
<br>Donna :)N

majmom
08-24-2000, 03:02 AM
Once again, Teresa, you've said what we are all feeling - and so well, too.
<br>
<br>WOOOOOOOFREAKINHOOOOOOO, Brian - loved your comments!
<br>
<br>I can't go to the Opry and I'm sick about it - but if I could, I'd make a sign that said,
<br>
<br>"Someone out here still believes in you"
<br>
<br>...can you imagine tons of Garthfans there all holding up signs that say the same thing?? Sort of like each individual little heart coming together to make "One Voice?" *sigh* - wish I could be there...
<br>
<br>
<br>Kerry<P>(This message has been edited by majmom)N

~CanGarth#1Fan~
08-24-2000, 08:28 AM
thanks for the article... is it to late to get the magazine??? I've been sooo busy with my kids and travelling that i missed it..gin:)N

ferretcrazy
08-24-2000, 01:27 PM
Thanks Teresa, your letter to them was perfect. I hope they publish it!:)
<br>As for the Garth / Beatles comparison..being a Beatles fan for about 22 years, they are really reaching! You could have taken any singer and did those same comparisons. Too silly! :)
<br>I love the Oscar picture too!!
<br>
<br> JoanN

Pilgrim
08-24-2000, 02:26 PM
Cool:):) Glad some of you liked my reply:)
<br>
<br>Brian:):)N

cybersadie
09-07-2000, 07:25 AM
I had to unexpectedly move out of my college dorm and into an off-campus apartment this weekend (long story). In any case, I'm in K-Mart getting some sheets and across the crowded store I spot Garth on the cover of Country weekly. So I get this thing home and think "Finally something is going right today."
<br>
<br>The article was totally disappointing. I agree with all of you that it didn't say anything new. All it did was rehash all the old stuff and make me sad. The best part of it was the pictures, which it didn't even have enough of. I realize now why the big guy has seemed so media-shy of late. On the inside, he's still a lil ol Oklahoma boy and I don't think he can handle what they are doing to him and his name. I don't blame him for being wary.
<br>
<br>That said, Sevens was not a flop!!! Sevens didn't sell as much as No Fences (which is like the best-selling country album of all time). But it did about as well commercially and in terms of the high caliber of music as did Fresh Horses (which I've also heard called a flop). Didn't both those albums have like 3 #1 singles each and some of the best country music I have ever heard? And didn't he win entertainer of the year or best country male or something like that the year after it was released? Wasn't he still selling out millions of tickets in a matter of minutes on that tour? These people obviously have no idea what a flop is!
<br>
<br>All right, tirade over. I think Teresa offered some good advice about standing by our man. Even if he chooses to do so after a hiatus, he will come back to us again. I BELIEVE.
<br>N