PDA

View Full Version : "Hungry Years" ??

Vanessa
08-18-2000, 10:44 AM
I keep hearin' ya'll talk about "The Hungry Years". Ca someone explain to me (in great detail, is that still possible??...) heheh; what in the heck they are?? Thanks!! :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

jlm1
08-18-2000, 11:40 AM
I've also been wondering about this. I'm guessing it was an album of cover songs, but I'd like to know what's on it and where to get a copy. Any suggestions?
<br>
<br>JennyN

Vanessa
08-18-2000, 11:53 AM
Nope, I don't have a clue, maybe someone else can help us out? :)
<br>

Paula
08-18-2000, 04:48 PM
The Hungry Years is a collection of about 20 songs from a concert that Garth did back in Oklahoma before he got his record deal. It's not a professional quality tape but does have a lot of covers in addition to his own "Much Too Young." Copies are usually available from Garth fans and can also be purchased on ebay (although the price may be a little escalated). I have a copy on CD; and if you're looking for a copy, you can ask on the board, and the person who made the copy for me may pop in and respond.
<br>
<br>Paula<P>(This message has been edited by Paula)N

hugeGBnutt
08-19-2000, 07:27 AM
"Hungry Years" is a bootleg on cd-r(most all bootlegs are recorded on cd-r's)....ANYONE with a cd burner can made a cd with a cd-r so it is not professionally recorded. this bootleg is from 1986 before Garth became known the thing i've heard is that Garth sold this as a tape and gave/sold them to people and some collector got ahold of one and it got popular with fans and thus we have it today!, here are the tracks:
<br>
<br>1. Tequila Sunrise
<br>2. Piano Man
<br>3. Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)
<br>4. Time In A Bottle
<br>5. Rocket Man
<br>6. Why Don't Those Dreams Ever Come True
<br>7. That's The Way Love Goes
<br>8. Come Monday
<br>9. Cat's In The Cradle
<br>10. Night Moves
<br>11. Mr. Bojangles
<br>12. House On Pooh Corner
<br>13. Mrs. Robinson
<br>14. Please Come To Boston
<br>15. Here I Am
<br>16. The Boxer
<br>17. Sweet Baby James
<br>18. I Still Remember You
<br>19. You Never Even Call Me By My Name
<br>20. Only The Good Die Young
<br>:):):);):):):)
<br>
<br>aRi
<br>
<br>
<br>N

no1cowgirl
08-19-2000, 09:30 AM
Jason told me to tell you to go to
<br>
<br>http://www.geocities.com/hungryyears/
<br>
<br>There ya go!
<br>
<br>
<br>Krista
<br>
<br>N

Vanessa
08-19-2000, 06:23 PM
Thanks ya'll very much for your help and with the link!! :) :)
<br>

jenn_7
08-19-2000, 06:58 PM
OK, I must have a copy! I love those songs and am really looking for something to get me fired up. I think this is the music I have been looking for--anyone here at PG have a source? jennN

iriscrazy
08-19-2000, 07:39 PM
AS BAD AS I NEED A "GARTH FIX"...I'M NOT SURE I WANT TO PAY SOMEONE ON EBAY FOR A COPY OF "THE HUNGRY YEARS" .... SINCE THIS IS A BOOTLEG COLLECTION....THE OBJECT OF OUR AFFECTION WILL NOT GET A DIME. I THINK JUST ABOUT EVERYONE KNOWS HOW GARTH FEELS ABOUT THIS KIND OF SELL.N

Y@nkee
08-20-2000, 01:15 AM
There are a couple of PGers who only ask for reimbursement of the cost of the CD blank and postage. (Money they spend out of their own pocket.) Perhaps one of them will respond to this thread.
<br>
<br>Y@nkeeN

Lowell Miller
08-20-2000, 09:07 PM
Iris,
<br>The ones who make "The Hungry Years" here don't make any money from the sell. They are actually working hard to shut the ebay scam down.
<br>...but you didn't know that. :)N

iriscrazy
08-21-2000, 11:32 AM
Lowell, thank you for the info. You are correct..I did not know that. I did know someone was making money on Ebay and that was what I was referring to. I seem to keep putting my foot in my mouth...so I think from now on...I'll just read and not comment.N

Lowell Miller
08-21-2000, 11:16 PM
No Iris...COMMENT! :) It's OK. It takes a while to get used to everything. I used to say some really crazy stuff.;) Don't worry about it...really. :)N

Pilgrim
08-22-2000, 03:04 PM
Iris I agree with Lowell:) Keep posting:)
<br>
<br>Welcome to PG:):):)
<br>
<br>BrianN

iriscrazy
08-22-2000, 05:31 PM
Gee thanks guys ... you made feel soooo much better. N

elvisfanforever
08-22-2000, 07:31 PM
Hi Iris!...Welcome to Planet Garth!!
<br>By all means,..post!!
<br>Everyone, including myself, has put their foot in their mouth at one time or another!!(Betcha' Garth has too, with his sense of humor!!) Most of the people here are understanding and forgiving when you do put your foot in your mouth!, or make an embarrasing goof! We're all human, right?
<br>Although I don't claim to be an authority I know the same basic information about Hungry Years you have heard from most PG'ers. This was recorded in a bar in Stillwater, Oklahoma sometime around September '86.
<br>The name of the bar was Willie's, I believe. Before Garth broke through nationally, in '89, this was how he performed, and became recognized. If you read any books about Garth,..they state (the Garth Brooks Scrapbook) that the first time when Garth went to Nashville to try and get a record company interested in signing him, that he took demo tapes for them to listen to. I have a feeling that those demo tapes were probably from performances like the one at Willies. Interestingly enough, as is documented, Garth was not successful at getting a record contract until the second time he went to Nashville to try again. His first attempt was very dissapointing and unsuccessful, because of the way some jerk at ASCAP acted towards Garth.(According tothe GB Scrapbook, the person at ASCAP basically told Garth he didn't have a chance at all of getting a contract, and that he should go back home, which Garth, at the time, took to heart and did!)
<br>My understanding about Hungry Years, is that they were originally recorded on cassette tape, & later burned onto CD Rom. Garth does perform a lot of cover songs.
<br>The quality is very poor, probably due to not high quality tape being used at Willies, when Garth did that performance. They probably were very limited in the equipment quality, also. My copy of this CD has 2 or 3 songs on this CD sounding REAL BAD!!, like garbled!!
<br>I would guess...at some point during this performance, they had either microphone problems, or the tape they were using had a wrinkled or bad spot on it!
<br>Nonetheless, you get to hear Garth singing a lot of cover songs on it, which is very cool in it's own right!
<br>I imagine Garth knows about this bootleg CD's existence, and if he wanted to, he could probably take legal action to try to stop it from being produced, but I get the impression that he doesn't mind this CD being sold to people, even though it's definitely illegal!
<br>Yes, some scalpers on E Bay, & other Auction sites try to convince you that this is a MEGA RARE collector's item, & will try to get outrageous prices for this CD, ...as long as someone from PG will offer to make you a copy for a low cost, my advice is DON'T use the auction services for finding this particular item.
<br>Even though some people don't like E Bay, it & the other auction services can be INVALUABLE for helping you to build your Garth Brooks library, & music collection, and if you shop carefully, offers a huge selection...not always at outrageous prices. The only way I would use E Bay for finding this particular CD is if no one from PG offers to help make you a copy, which as friendly as us PG'ers are, will probably not happen!!
<br>If I had a CD Burner, I would offer to make you a copy of my Hungry Years CD for postage only...but I don't have that kind of equipment just yet!
<br>In any case, welcome to PG, post often,...and enjoy!
<br>I hope my rambling on wasn't boring you, but I thought I'd offer you all the information that I know about this item!!
<br>:)Lester
<br>N

scottbush1977
02-17-2005, 02:57 AM
I am looking for a copy of this any other live/ non-commerical Garth stuff. I have a good number of bootlegs but so far not really any Garth stuff (frown) .

Would love to hear stuff from the Chris Gains sessions or from Stillwater as well. I am a mega Garth fan.

If someone is up for a trade, etc please contact me. My page/ info:

http://rainwolfbootlegs.tripod.com

scottbush1977@yahoo.com
or
rainwolf@rock.com

Thanks!!

luvsgarth62
02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey,

I tried the link and it didn't work, could someone put a direct link to it here? That would be cool, does the webpage have sound clips?

-Alicia

mikeb49
02-19-2005, 10:16 AM
i have a copy of the hungry years on in mp3 and cd format
like most have said
all i ask for is the price of cd plus shipping if you want a copy

dont email the email addy that this website has for me
the one i check the most is

osumjbradley@yahoo.com

let me know if your interested.
~Mike

mikeb49
02-19-2005, 10:18 AM
sorry folks

i also have a few live cds

Live From Hamburg

Live From Dallas

and I have a good number of other live singles
from NYC, Ireland, etc

live duets with billy joel, steve wariner, trisha, etc.

that list is long...so if your interested ....get in touch

~Mike

osumjbradley@yahoo.com

LuvsTheGarth
02-19-2005, 03:05 PM
The ironic thing is that right before he sings "Too Damn Young..." on the Hungry Years tape/ cd, he says "Another worthless original..." Ha!

Yes, the bar was Willie's in Stillwater. I went there to visit my in-laws who are in school there and we went to Willie's - there's a plaque inside that says it's where Garth used to play. There's also a house nearby that Garth & Sandy lived in for awhile and there's a sign above it saying so (people currently live there though).