PDA

View Full Version : just a question regarding George Straigt

honky
08-16-2000, 05:06 PM
<br>George has been in this music business for more than 20 years now. He still can sell 1 million easily.
<br>
<br>But why are stations supporting him so much?
<br>
<br>His new song is flying on the chart, just like his other songs...
<br>
<br>
<br>If you judge his selling alone, he does not sell like Shania, Dixie Chicks, Faith, Tim, and even Garth...
<br>
<br>
<br>Does anyone know?
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Tommy
<br>PS: By the way, I think his stuff is FINE.. not TOO GOOD though..N

splitzer
08-16-2000, 07:52 PM
They support George because he's a classic. "Go On" is pure Strait. I've always felt that George has such a unique quality that is unexplainable... take "Write This Down" for example... I don't think anyone else could have pulled off that song! It's a goofy, silly song that I don't think anyone else could have done. Listen to the lyrics.
<br>
<br>George Strait is pure class, a true gentleman, and a true cowboy.
<br>
<br>He's amazing. It's hard to put into words. :)
<br>
<br>Comparing sales is not reflective. Like you said, he's been around for a long time. He's a stable artist. His music is not a passing trend or a fad, like a lot of what's out there. I would *predict* that the Dixie Chicks and Shania are not going to last 20 years as successful as they are now. George is just plain good, and he reflects the timeless qualities of country music.
<br>
<br>Garth Always,
<br>Danielle<P>(This message has been edited by splitzer)N

honky
08-16-2000, 10:44 PM
sorry to say this, but I don't think I would stick to one artist who seems to just stay to radio friendly songs :eek:
<br>
<br>But that's just my opinion though.. maybe this is why George gets all the airplays....
<br>
<br>
<br>Sadly that "We shall be free" was never a hit on radio :(
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

littlebit
08-17-2000, 09:39 AM
i used to like Strait. until ihe and Jackson did what they did with that "Death to Country Row" song and then i heard about the sign outside of where he and McGraw were playing on his 'Strait Tour'. Garth and Chris are not responsible (in my opinion) of the so called death of country music.
<br>
<br>Garth has always acknowledged Strait as being one of his idols. And to see the man turn around and blame Garth with that sign is just plain mean! If he didn't feel that way, he should have had the sign taken down.
<br>
<br>I remember when Garth got a very prestigious award a few years ago. Jackson and Gill where sitting there with this "aw man he don't deserve it" look on their faces when it was announced. The camera's closed up on them when the announcment was made.
<br>
<br>i don't have time anymore for mean petty people, musically or otherwise. Had it been the other way i think Garth would have been more gracious than they have been. So sorry, although there's alot of talent there (which is more the pity) Strait and Jackson have lost my support.
<br>
<br>take care,
<br>
<br>deAnnalynnN

splitzer
08-17-2000, 10:53 AM
I am familiar with the song, but what sign are you talking about??
<br>
<br>Garth Always,
<br>DanielleN

honky
08-17-2000, 05:03 PM
Danielle,
<br>
<br>DeAnna is talking about the sign that was made by one of the George's fans at one concert.
<br>
<br>The sign was big enough that noone, including the artists on the stage, would miss. The sign says something like Garth aka Chris Gaines is death on music row.. or something.. I can't remember the exact word :mad::mad:
<br>
<br>If George did read this, he should have told that person to take down the poster. But George DID NOT! It is obvious that George thinks Garth is killing country music :(
<br>
<br>
<br>What a shame on George and Alan!! I even heard Alan made comments about Garth's career.. :( Geez.. why are they so offensive about Garth?
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

no1cowgirl
08-17-2000, 09:48 PM
Tommy-
<br> If you will listen to the format of country radio today, you can easily see that George Strait's music is not radio friendly. It is way far from the norm. Because the 'norm' on country radio today is 'Contemporary Country' a.k.a. 'Pop Country'. George's music is TRUE country, there is NO denying that.
<br>
<br>deAnnalynn & Tommy-
<br> About the sign. Do not blame George for that. George is not responsible for his fans' actions, and you cannot hold him accountable for that sign. You are not responsible for me as I am not for you because I we are two seperate people. Also, who's to say that George did see that sign? If you know how it is to stand on stage with bright lights shining in your eyes, it's VERY hard to see beyond the front row of the audience.
<br>
<br> In my opinion, 'Murder On Music Row' is the truest song ever written. There is not denying that tradtional country music is dying and it is only living through few artists who refuse to 'sell out'. Two of these artists ARE George Strait and Alan Jackson. And I will commend then until the day that I die because they adressed a major problem in the country music business right now--surrounded by tremendous criticism and static from industry executives and country singers alike. This was one of the most courageous things I have ever seen a country artist(s) do. This ranks among Reba's recordin of 'She Thinks His Name Is John'.
<br>
<br> Country radio supports George because every album and song he releases is a breath of fresh country air into a highly pop influenced format. George Strait never ceases to amaze me because every song he turns out....one after the other turns into either a top-10 hit or a number 1 single. And he does nothing to make himself more popular.
<br>
<br> God bless his heart.
<br>
<br>Krista<P>(This message has been edited by no1cowgirl)<P>(This message has been edited by no1cowgirl)N

no1cowgirl
08-17-2000, 09:52 PM
Oh, also, I'd like to reitterate that I do not think that the music on today's country radio is bad music. On the contrary, I think it's great. I'm just stating that it's not true country music.
<br>
<br>
<br>Krista
<br>N

SweetGBFan
08-19-2000, 05:38 PM
I too wonder if George saw the sign? I doubt that he did. I would like to hear George say something nice about Garth. I will be a Garth Brooks fan forever, but I will be a Strait fan always too. I love George Strait. George Strait fans are very protective of George as we are of Garth. I think George will always represent country at its best. Garth and George are different in their styles, but both are King of Country as far as I am concerned!N

honky
08-19-2000, 07:06 PM
Well.. honesetly, I don't think George Straigt holds the same respect that Garth has for him...
<br>
<br>It's just my observation...
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN