PDA

View Full Version : Artist Of The Week! - August 7th, 2000

Chris Gaines
08-06-2000, 11:08 PM
Reassuringly, at a time when fashion statements and karaoke contests are commonly deemed to be short cuts to stardom, some artists - such as country singer Chad Brock - still approach their craft the old-fashioned way: they learn it. When Brock emerged from last year's crowded field with his poignant take on "Ordinary Life" (a #1 country hit from his self-titled debut project), years of persistence and dedication were rewarded. Now, wielding a second album (Yes!) that reaffirms his belief in the primacy of the song, the strapping former athlete is poised to make additional headway.
<br>
<br>"I think people are starting to get it, to catch on a little bit," says Brock of the escalating response to his work. Reflecting on the welfare of the music he has always loved, he adds: "We got off the focus of the song and got on the focus of image, of what somebody looks like. We needed to get back to the music. The most important thing is the song."
<br>
<br>A native of Ocala, Florida, Chad Brock was strongly encouraged to cultivate his musical talent by a fondly remembered school teacher, the late Florene Gabriel Reese. He moved to Nashville in January, 1992. Having been introduced to Warner Bros. Records by singer/songwriter David Mullen, Brock auditioned for the label within months of his arrival. "I wasn't ready yet," Brock candidly admits. On the advice of industry professionals, he sharpened his skills by playing clubs and honky-tonks with a band throughout the United States. The singer's impressive development eventually resulted in a recording contract.
<br>
<br>Since the release of Chad Brock in 1998, the artist has gained valuable exposure from live performances - particularly on Alan Jackson's "High Mileage" tour. "Getting out and being able to play in front of all those people really helped my confidence," Brock observes. In contrast to many recording artists, the personable singer also welcomes promotional appearances and media contacts. "I love going out to radio," he enthuses. "If I wasn't doing what I'm doing now, I'd probably be jockeying somewhere on the morning show."
<br>
<br>One of the cuts on Yes! - a new-millennium update of "A Country Boy Can Survive" - has already made a substantial impact. With vocal assistance from George Jones as well as writer Hank Williams, Jr. himself, Chad has found great success with the Y2K version. The singer credits the successful collaboration with reinforcing the all-important identity that "Ordinary Life" had begun to establish for him.
<br>
<br>Like its predecessor, Yes! was produced by respected veterans Norro Wilson and Buddy Cannon. The instrumental tracks, while unmistakably contemporary, again reflect a solid foundation in tradition. After they were recorded in Nashville, the team headed for Fort Lauderdale. As the appreciative Brock explains, "We wanted to get away from everyday affairs and go down there and concentrate on the vocal stuff. Those guys are such pros. You can really lose the feel of a song if you labor too hard or long at it. We didn't do that. We just worked on a couple of songs a day; then we quit and hung out. It was relaxing, and I think it really helped vocally."
<br>
<br>Throughout the balanced collection, the emphasis remains on adult-oriented material whose emotional appeal is enhanced by the singer's avoidance of distracting histrionics. "So many times," Brock laments with evident sincerity, "you go out and buy a CD and you like just three or four songs. To me that's a travesty, because it doesn't take any more money to have a CD with ten great songs on it. It just takes a little more effort on the part of the team or the artist to find those songs. That's my philosophy on every record I do."
<br>
<br>Brock's new album contains two tunes co-written by the artist - including the title cut, which is also the current single. "I enjoy writing," he confirms, "but I'm a performer first. I have to have something in my life that happens to write about. I have to have something real, something significant."
<br>
<br>"Yes!," an actual account of how the retrieval of forgotten mail led to Brock's wedding, certainly meets this description. "The band and I worked up the song in California last July," he recalls. "The first time we played it, the song got an even bigger reaction than 'Ordinary Life.' I knew that song was special - people have flipped over it! It's a true story from start to finish."
<br>
<br>In the wrenching "Hey Mister" (Kim Tribble/Dale Oliver/Dave Robbins), a barkeeper narrates the story behind one of the accumulated photographs he has received from jilted lovers who "don't wanna miss her anymore." To capture the mood of the composition, Brock conjures up a possible scenario: "I think about a guy who maybe was a Vietnam veteran. Before he went there, he had a girlfriend and he was very much in love with her. They don't break up; they plan on marrying each other, but he goes off to war and all he has is a picture of her. And then she marries somebody else. I try to make everybody believe that I'm hurtin' just as bad as that guy is."
<br>
<br>Two other slice-of-life contributions from accomplished Nashville songwriters should resonate strongly with listeners. With rich detail, Skip Ewing and Danny Wilde's "Love Lives" chronicles a triumph of young love over the odds that is sealed by the father of the bride's eleventh-hour change of heart. Later, Brock joins with multiple hit-maker (and close friend) Mark Wills on an increasingly rare commodity: a well-conceived duet. Penned by former Capitol recording artists Billy Dean ("Somewhere In My Broken Heart") and Verlon Thompson, "If I Were You" deftly employs a conversational device to convey the sense of romantically committed and unattached people alike that "the grass is greener on the other side."
<br>
<br>Perhaps the defining moment on Yes! occurs in "The Visit" - a deceptively simple ballad which takes an unexpected turn in the manner of the classic "Green, Green Grass of Home." When Brock hits the chorus ("Lookin' back when we first started/I never thought I'd see this day/If only I could write the pages/Our story wouldn't end this way"), the dramatic effect rises to the level of sudden-death overtime. "Nobody wanted to take a chance on that song," he marvels, "and I'm glad they didn't!"
<br>
<br>"I just like to sing," Chad Brock matter-of-factly declares. "But I don't want to do a song that I can't make you feel." Guided by that worthy credo, even in perilous terrain where many musical dreams have been buried, a country boy truly can survive.
<br>--------------------------------------------------------
<br>Albums:
<br>
<br>"Chad Brock" - 1998
<br>"YES!" - 2000
<br>Fast Fact:
<br>
<br>(Moni will like this LOL)
<br>
<br>Chad Brock is a BIG TIME "Forida Gators" football fan ;)
<br>Official Site:
<br>
<br>(Working) http://www.wbr.com/nashville/chadbrock/
<br>(Not working) http://www.chadbrok.com
<br>On Tour:
<br>
<br>Tue 8/8/00 Pittsfield, PA Warren County Fair
<br> also featuring : Brad Paisley
<br>
<br>Fri 8/11/00 Summit Station, PA Schuylkill County Fair
<br>
<br>Sat 8/12/00 Point Pleasant, WV Mason County Fair
<br>
<br>Tue 8/22/00 Louisville, KY Kentucky Fair & Expo Center also featuring : Clay Davidson, Montgomery Gentry
<br>
<br>Thu 8/24/00 Gray, TN Appalachian Fair
<br>
<br>Sat 8/26/00 Du Quoin, IL Du Quoin State Fair
<br> also featuring : Jo Dee Messina
<br>
<br>Thu 8/31/00 Phillipi, WV Barbour County Fair
<br>
<br>Fri 9/1/00 Allentown, PA Allentown Fair
<br> also featuring : Leann Rimes, Martina McBride
<br>
<br>Thu 9/14/00 Albuquerque, NM New Mexico State Fairgrounds
<br>
<br>Thu 10/26/00 Lafayette, LA Cajundome
<br> also featuring : Chely Wright, Clay Walker
<br>
<br>Fri 10/27/00 College Station, TX Reed Arena
<br>
<br>Sat 10/28/00 Abilene, TX Taylor County Expo Center
<br>
<br>Thu 11/16/00 Dozier City, LA Dozier City Arena
<br>
<br>Fri 11/17/00 Belton, TX Bell County Expo Center
<br>
<br>Sat 11/18/00 Muskogee, OK Muskogee Civic Center
<br>
<br>Sun 11/19/00 State University, AR Convocation Center also featuring : Chely Wright, Clay Walker
<br>
<br>And that's this week's "Artist Of The Week!" ;)
<br>
<br>Enjoy :)
<br>JasonN

Chris Gaines
08-06-2000, 11:13 PM
since I can't edit (gives an error) LOL
<br>
<br>the other Offical site (that isn't working (2 pages right now) is:
<br>
<br>http://www.chadbrock.com
<br>
<br>Not like it's listed on the first message ;)
<br>
<br>Sorry :P
<br>JasonN

Pilgrim
08-07-2000, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jas:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

minnesotagbfan
08-08-2000, 12:06 AM
can i say that i saw chad brock at countryfest 2000 and at the end of his set his giutarist wouldnt leave the stage and started playing "keep you hands to your self by the georgia satellites?? now can anyone tell me where we have heard that before?????? ;)
<br>
<br>russN