PDA

View Full Version : Redstrokes & Alabama Clay

sasteen
07-31-2000, 04:06 PM
Could someone please explain the meanings of these two songs. I am not quite sure I understand.N

ShellyGirl
07-31-2000, 04:15 PM
These are my takes on the songs:
<br>Red Strokes is a song that compares sex/love to a painting. It relates our emotions with colors, ie: jealousy-green, passion-red, etc...
<br>Alabama Clay is a song about someone thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. They don't realize what they had until they no longer have it. Suddenly the grass isn't as green as it once seemed.
<br>Anyone care to add to this?N

fuzzwuzz
07-31-2000, 10:20 PM
I may be the odd one out, but the first time I saw Garth come up out of that red paint dressed in pure white, I instantly thought of how the blood of Christ washes away our sins making us whiter than purest white, and rendering our hands and feet useful for His service. It is very beautifully done. White also represents a bride in wait of her bridegroom. It is the blood Christ shed on the cross that eventually gets Him His Bride. No one can tell me there's no passion in a wedding or honeymoon!N

PJ
08-01-2000, 04:39 AM
I have to agree more with Shellygirl's interpretation of The Red Strokes.N

garthsgirl
08-01-2000, 06:13 AM
I tend to agree with the majority, but everyone has their own interpretation. Although other images come up for me when I hear The Red Strokes(won't go there, as this is a family board!). Red Strokes was inspired by a painting seen in the Louve. I have not heard which one, has anyone else? I've always wanted to know. In fact, if I ever meet Garth, I would probably ask him that question.
<br>
<br>Sorry for rambling.
<br>
<br> LisaN

littlebit
08-01-2000, 07:26 AM
Redstrokes is one of my favorite songs. :)James Garver was one of the writers. i didn't know it was inspired by a painting! How cool!:cool: (i figured it was about James, Garth's, Lisa Sanderson's or Jenny Yate's spouse.) i think out of all the songs about making love, ie Breath, Let's make love, etc. This one still wins over them hands down!!:P:):cool:
<br>
<br>deAnnalynnN

boppityboo
08-01-2000, 08:47 AM
FYI I will be putting up a write up of 'The Red Strokes out of the believer magazine. It is co-written by James Garver, one of Garth's band members.:) The story is basically about how they came up with the idea and how they wrote it. I will have a page with only the hit songs that are discussed in all the issues of the believer, there is usually one or two in each. BUT if y'all can't wait til I get it up, I will post the one for 'The Red Strokes' right here. :)
<br>
<br>'The Red Strokes', co written by Jenny Yates, Lisa Sanderson, and Garth and James Garver, Stillwater's lead guitarist and background vocalist, makes this Garver's first notable written work.
<br> Unlike most writers that sit down and write every day, James admits that this is not his technique." I have an idea or get in the mood," he says. "I've been writing for fifteen years, most of the time, I write by myself, though I do write with a few people around town," James said.
<br> The Red Strokes came by way of another song, one James and Garth had co-written a year or so ago. "We wrote this song, 'I Can't Remember Her Name' 'James said. "One day when we were on the road Garth told me that he had been writing a song with some writers from L.A. and that he had borrowed one of my lines, 'salt in a kiss'. "He explained to me what was actually going on with the song, that it would be on his album 'In Pieces', I was at a loss for words. I thought, 'Wow, Garth Brooks is a very generous man. I was happy to hear the product in the end, the line fit in just right," James said.
<br> While James is proud to have his name listed on the credits of 'The Red Strokes', he admits, "I don't want to be known as a one line writer. I hope to have a bigger part in future songs.' he added.
<br>As for the orignal song that 'salt in a kiss' was taken, "I'll have to change it a little," James added. Stayed tuned, the reworked version of 'I Can't Remember Her Name'may be a song that you will hear on the radio someday.
<br>James admitted, "It's hard to write when I'm on the road because there is so much to do and there are so many distractions." For now, James will continue to write when time is available.
<br>To date, "there hasn't been any major changes since I've gotten this cut," James said, 'Though it has given me more drive to keep writing."
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Ok, so maybe not so much about the song as the songwriter, but there ya have it. Perhaps now that Stillwater is technically 'laid off' :) James might write some more. :) Please note that this article is from 1994, so its pretty dated. I wonder what happened if anything to 'I Can't Remember Her Name'
<br>Doesn't Alan Jackson have a video for a song of that title with Jeff Foxworthy? lol
<br>
<br>Have a Garthriffic day,
<br>Ellie :)
<br>
<br>
<br>P.S. my website is :
<br>http://pages.sprint.ca/ElliesGarthSite/Garthnutt.html
<br>
<br>I know, shameless self promotion... lol :PN