PDA

View Full Version : What's a latigo??

Vanessa
07-29-2000, 10:33 AM
Could someone please help me out, I would like to know what the heck a latigo is? No one knows where I live! Thanks!! :)
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

littlebit
07-29-2000, 12:21 PM
Vanessa,
<br>
<br>i've heard two definitions
<br>
<br>1. The strap that's on the saddletree to tighten and fasten the cinch.
<br>
<br>2. A light braided leather rope, used by Vacarro's much like a regular rope American cowboys use to rope with.
<br>
<br>Could be wrong though,
<br>
<br>deAnnalynnN

Vanessa
07-29-2000, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your help. :) Maybe you can answer these other 2 questions for me: 1. what's a saddletree and 2. what's a cinch? Thanks again! :)
<br>
<br>VanessaN

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
07-29-2000, 08:52 PM
Vanessa~
<br>
<br>If I understand correctly, latigo is a kind of leather, very thick and sturdy. I could be wrong, though. I was wondering the same thing myself, a while back, and I think I looked it up here on the net, but my explanation could be a little off, since it's been so long.
<br>
<br>I have no idea what the 'saddletree' is, but I assume the cinch would be where the saddle is tightened, aroung the belly of the horse. So, I would think that the heavy-duty strap that goes around the belly of the horse may be made of 'latigo'???
<br>
<br>So, is any of this correct? There's gotta be an honest-to-goodness cowboy or cowgirl out there somewhere!! ;)N

Pilgrim
07-30-2000, 02:10 AM
This could give you an idea:)
<br>
<br>Just click on the link:)
<br>
<br>http://www.morrco.com/morrco/latspikcol.html
<br>
<br>If it doesn't work you have to copy and paste it:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

no1cowgirl
07-30-2000, 07:13 AM
OH!!!!!! I KNOW THIS! *LMAO*
<br>
<br>A latigo is the part of a saddle that connects the cinch to the saddle.
<br>
<br>Lariat Latigo is my nickmane around these parts *L* so...I get asked that question quite a bit!
<br>
<br>KristaN

Vanessa
07-30-2000, 08:20 AM
Thanks for ya'lls help, I apprecaite it!! :) Thanks for the link too! :) heheh.
<br>
<br>Vanessa :)N

cybersadie
07-31-2000, 04:45 AM
Vanessa --
<br>
<br>I'm glad you asked! I've been wondering myself for a long time but was too chicken to ask. N