PDA

View Full Version : Sales on "Come On Over" tops NO FENCES :-(

nelty
03-17-2000, 01:39 AM
Hi everyone.<P>I just read this from <A HREF="http://www.countrystars.com." TARGET=_blank>www.countrystars.com.</A> It says that Shania's Come on Over has sold 17 million which was announced by the RIAA recently. I say, :-P~~~~~~~~~<P>I can't believe that she release a new Come On Over with remix and they consider that the same album. I call that a marketing trick. AND the press DIDN"T pound on her on this. WHICH makes me VERY mad.... :o Whereas they pound on Garth when he puts out the boxset trying to :)SAVE :)his NEW fans some money... <P>I don't understand..... AGR!!!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o<P>yllenN

angelamccann
03-17-2000, 02:51 AM
Yep, it's a marketing trick all right, and Shania's not the first to take advantage of it - as far as I know, Irish band The Corrs have released three versions to date of their album Talk On Corners. The first didn't sell too well so they added one track and made that a single (Dreams), then released another version with all the single remixes that made the charts. All the singles from the album were remixed, not original versions, so fans would buy the album, then the singles, then the remixed album!<P>I know about the Limited Set having been released so Garth's new fans could save money, but speaking as a new fan (less than six months) I bought all the albums first, then bought the Limited Set to boost my collection. Saving money wasn't really an issue - over here (UK) the CDs cost a fortune anyway, and I got the box set cheaper from Borders.com including shipping than if I bought it locally...<P>Not too surprised by Shania's success - I think she's sold about 1.7 million here. Mainly due to her being attractive (if you like that sort of thing, which British men obviously do), and being marketed as mainstream pop rather than country. Very few country artists make it big in the UK. I know many people who didn't believe Shania was ever a country artist - it's not necessarily that she isn't now making country music (the influence is definitely there), just that UK marketing goes out of its way to promote her without mentioning the word c****ry.<P>(The asterisks are mine, btw - didn't want anyone thinking I'd been typing something I shouldn't!)<P>Angela x N

hugeGBnutt
03-17-2000, 03:34 AM
1st of all she had to release 2 albums to top his old record(1st version, then the rimix version or whatever crap it was) so really her ONE album didn't do it, 2nd thats like comparing one of those boy bands to Garth, i'm sure Garth would have more success if he released brainless stuff like her or boy bands, now pop has made a come back and music with a message is not all that popular right now, thus the success that she and boy bands have, plus Garth uses marketing and his actual MUSIC to sell his music she uses her BODY pure and simple, so it all comes down to who cares!?!?!.....that was an old Garth record plus i'm sure Garth is not crying he was plenty more that she can only dream of, and for God's sake <B>Garth is the biggest selling artist in music</B> so who cares if she broke one of Garth MANY MANY records! :D<P>aRiN

mlombo
03-17-2000, 04:09 AM
People forget that fact that Shania has let this cd ride on it's own for over 2 and a half years and she just keeps releasing singles off it, so if someone likes Shania, there only choice is to buy Come on Over. Garth released 'No Fences' and then 11 months later released 'Ropin the Wind' which also sold over 12 million albums. I'm sure the new cd being in the stores affected 'No Fences' sales quite a bit. If he would have let that cd get 2 and a half years to be bought on it's own, and released more songs such as 'Wolves' and 'Wild Horses' off of it, it would have sold well over 20 million I believe. If you look at the time span it has taken Shania to sell 17 million albums, Garth released 'No Fences', 'Ropin the Wind' and 'the Chase'. Combined those albums during that same time period sold over 25 million albums. In conclusion, yes Shania should be congratulated for her accomplishment, but her album sales cannot be compared to when Garth was his absolute hottest which was from the time period between the 'Garth Brooks' album to the 'The Chase'. He sold over 40 million albums in a 3 year stretch...That is incredibleN

honky
03-17-2000, 08:33 AM
<B>mlombo</B>,<P>Very good point :) I was also thinking about the same thing. Garth released "Ropin The Wind" a year after "No Fences". <P>Moreove, Garth is the fastest selling artist in music history :) Within 3~4 years, Garth had sold more than 30 millions :o That is incredible :o<P>Besides, Garth is not marketed in POP which is now one of the mainstreams.<P><BR>Hey... just based on country radios alone, Garth's success is PHENOMENAL. It took 2 years for Faith's "Faith" to go 4 platinums, excluding the fact that her album is marketed both POP and COUNTRY.<P><BR>TommyN

Pilgrim
03-17-2000, 01:22 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D<BR>WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO VERY COOL NEWS!!!!!!!<BR>I like her, for the music :) I don't care much about her looks :)<P><B>Ari</B><BR>It's still only in USA Garth is the biggest selling artist :)<P><B>Mlombo</B><BR>That's a very good point :D I have never thought about it that way :)<P><B>Nelly</B><BR>A marketing trick??<BR>Let's not mention "Double Live" huuh ;)<P>Brian :)N

Garth2Gaines
03-17-2000, 03:07 PM
A couple of things....<BR>1) It is RIAA that said it is at 17 million, which means that it has shipped that many, and with 2 versions, that is twice as many to sit on the self :)<P>2) She doesn't wave the country flag high and proud like Garth does, so why should we group her with other country artist?<P>3) Selling 17 million in two years is anything but new.....Look at Hootie & the Blowfish, they sold 16 million with the same cover and NO POP REMIXES, they sold theirs with just MUSIC &lt;I love them, too&gt; :)<P>4) She has a loooonnnnggg way to catch the Eagles with 27 million :) Maybe a nude cover would help her ( I can't believe I just typed that) :)<P>dwayneN

Pilgrim
03-18-2000, 12:55 PM
Hmmm, a nude cover?? ;) ;)<P>You would like that huuhh? ;) ;)<P>BrianN

Garth2Gaines
03-19-2000, 10:51 AM
It won't hurt :) :) :)<P>dwayneN

RightNow
03-19-2000, 10:24 PM
no matter what anyone says, To me Garth has the biggest selling country album of all time. Shania released her singles to both country and pop radio, so the album can't be considered a country cd by itself. Garth only released his album to country radio. If you want to hear Garth, country radio. IF you want to hear Shania, both pop and country. PLus she didn't release an album in nearly two years, since that time Garth got 7 million of sevens sold, 12 of doublelive, 2 of Chris gaines and 1 of The christmas album and plus 12 million from the box set, so that adds to 34 million in about the same time span. If you want to go by units as a whole, 18 million.N

splitzer
03-22-2000, 12:10 PM
I know this topic is a tad bit old, so I hope ya'll will forgive me for pulling it to the top again...<P>When I first heard this news, I made this comment to a friend, and I think it's true. Only time will tell, but I decided to share it with you guys, too.<P>Shania is a flash in the pan. Some people think that Garth is, also, which I disagree with. However, <I>if</I> Garth is, he's a more significant, longer lasting flash in the pan... y'know what I mean? Therefore, I believe that Come On Over and No Fences will switch places again before too long. People will stop buying Come On Over because trends will change, styles will change, or someone new will come on the scene and detract from Shania's sales. Garth's music on No Fences (and his other albums, of course) is timeless, ageless, sexless, etc. It appeals to everyone's feelings and emotions. Who hasn't thought "what would happen if i suddenly wasn't here anymore?" &lt;ITNC&gt; or "looking back, i'm pretty glad things worked out the way they did afterall!" &lt;Unanswered Prayers&gt; or "gosh things are going horrible right now, i <I>really</I> hope i pull out of it okay" &lt;Wolves&gt;. I could go on and on, but won't, I think you guys know what I mean.<P>So, while Shania's album will eventually lose popularity and has thusfar failed to convey a universal or significant message, Garth's album will continue to sell at a respectable pace for a longer period of time. It's like this;<P>Garth is jogging along in a cross-country race. He's doing fine. He didn't start out in first place, but he made it up to the front and has maintained his lead without necessarily getting any further ahead of those behind him. Some of those behind him have fallen out, some have gained on him and then fallen back, some never had a chance of gaining on him at all and are just damned proud to be running in the same race with him. Then, all of a sudden, Shania jumps out a convertible and joins the race in the middle. She hasn't been running as long as they have, so she has more energy. She's gaining on Garth fast, because she isn't pacing herself. After a brief time, Garth notices her run right past him, leaving him in second place. He shrugs to himself and keeps on jogging. A few miles later, she's exhausted from that expenditure of energy and hasn't paced herself so she's about to fall over. He's still jogging along. What's this? She can't do it anymore, she's losing ground. Garth's still jogging along, monitoring his breath and pacing his steps. Ah, he's in first again, as Shania finds herself out of breath and confused, falling back in the race again. Maybe she'll flag down that convertible and take a breather.<P> :)<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

Pilgrim
03-22-2000, 12:22 PM
*LOL* What a story :) :)<P>BrianN