PDA

View Full Version : Artist Of The Week - Victoria Shaw

Chris Gaines
07-19-2000, 04:49 AM
After much reflection and with two critically acclaimed albums under her belt, singer-songwriter Victoria Shaw purposefully changed directions. In a bold career move, Shaw stopped recording for Warner/ Reprise Records and chose to record an independent record instead.
<br>
<br>"It was a life long dream of mine to be on a major label, and now I can say I recorded for Warner Brothers," Shaw says. "It was a learning and growing experience, but, when I left Warner, I didn't even look for another label deal. It just didn't appeal to me. I just wanted to write and record music that made me happy. I wanted to make an album without any limits. I didn't even think about what I would do with it when I finished. My goal was to shake up the karma because I wasn't having much fun. Life is too short to not enjoy yourself."
<br>
<br>Shaw's songs have been staples on the charts since the early '90s when Garth Brooks hit No. 1 with "The River." She's been a sought-after songwriter ever since, even showing up as a three-time Emmy nominee for "All For the Sake of Love," "Love is a Gift," and "(You Are) Where I Belong," hits on the popular soap opera, As the World Turns.
<br>
<br>Shaw's solo albums, 1994's IN FULL VIEW, and 1997's VICTORIA SHAW, took her to another level and introduced legions of loyal fans all over the world to her music.
<br>
<br>In 1998, Shaw found success as the writer and executive producer of the hit single, "One Heart at a Time." She recruited her friends Garth Brooks, Michael McDonald, Olivia Newton-John, Neal McCoy, Bryan White, Billy Dean, and Faith Hill to sing on the record, and donated the proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. To date, "One Heart at a Time" has sold over 250,000 copies.
<br>
<br>That same year Victoria began her latest creative process, she also created a new life. As the baby grew inside her, Shaw reached new heights as a singer and songwriter. The result, OLD FRIENDS, NEW MEMORIES, is a solid collection of Shaw's biggest hits and original new tunes, which showcase the singer's rich vocal style.
<br>
<br>"This album is more organic and more honest because I was the only one making the decisions," Shaw explains. "I'm proud of my other albums, but, when you have a committee, there are always going to be a few things you wish you didn't have to do. On this album, I was the committee."
<br>
<br>For OLD FRIENDS, NEW MEMORIES, Shaw called on one old friend to take care of the album's production. "I bumped into my friend Jon Vezner, who I've written with many times. Jon and I also did some demos together," Shaw recalls. "Whenever I'd walk out of his studio with a demo in hand, I always thought it sounded more like I do 'live' than any other recordings.
<br>
<br>Jon and I were having lunch and I was telling him about my project. He said, 'I'd love to work with you.' It was cosmic. I guess that's why I bumped into him at that moment on that day. He offered to produce the record and I took him up on it right away. Jon, who is a Grammy-winning songwriter, is an incredibly talented and generous producer. We worked so well together. It was the most fulfilling creative process I've ever experienced."
<br>
<br>Fans all over the world will recognize Shaw's No. 1 hits "The River," "She's Every Woman, "Too Busy Being in Love" and ACM Award winner, "I Love the Way You Love Me."
<br>
<br>"I couldn't do an album without recording 'The River,' Shaw says. "It was my first No. 1 song and one of my favorites that I've written with Garth. On this album, I did it my own way with a different feel. It's a very special song to me, and it seems to be a very special song to everyone else. I get a lot of comments from people about how that song has touched them and helped them through some hard times."
<br>
<br>"She's Every Woman" also hit the top of the charts for Garth Brooks. "One of the nice things about having no restrictions is that I could put this song on my album as it is. It's not called 'He's Every Man,' and I didn't want to change the lyrics. I love this song and I wanted to record it the way it is."
<br>
<br>Shaw wrote "I Love the Way You Love Me" for her husband and sang it at her wedding. "Of course, I never knew when I wrote the song it was going to explode like it did," Shaw says with a smile. "John Michael Montgomery took this song to No. 1, and I won an ACM award for it. The song has special meaning for me in many ways. I did a real stripped down version of it for this album. I wanted it to be intimate and romantic and pure."
<br>
<br>"I Love the Way You Love Me" has found another life as a huge pop hit in Europe for the multi-platinum group, Boy Zone.
<br>
<br>Shaw wrote "Too Busy Being in Love" with Gary Burr. Doug Stone's version soared to No. 1 in 1993. "I did this song very organic," Shaw explains. "It's just piano, acoustic guitar and strings. I just wanted the harmonies and vocals to shine through."
<br>
<br>With total creative freedom at her fingertips, the New York native took some chances with new material. Those chances paid off. She wrote "That's How Much I Love You" with Rockappella founder Sean Altman.
<br>
<br>"I was playing at the Bottom Line in New York and after the show this guy pokes his head in the dressing room I was sharing with Susan Werner and says, 'I really enjoyed you, can I give you my CD.' I don't take a lot of unsolicited material but Susan took it right away so I would have felt like an idiot if I didn't take it," Shaw says. "When I got back to Nashville, I was unpacking and found his CD so I put it on and it blew my mind! It's so awesome. It's mostly acappella - but hip acappella. I'd never heard anything like it. So I called Sean, and told him I wanted to meet him.
<br>
<br>We wrote this song together and I love it. It's a fun, light song. He helped me do all the parts except he sang bass, and Jeff Thacher, also of Rockappella, did the mouth percussion. It was a fascinating experience."
<br>
<br>Shaw revisited some of her favorite collaborations with other writers for OLD FRIENDS, NEW MEMORIES.
<br>
<br>"I wrote 'The Man Who Lived Here' with Gary Burr. I always loved it and never knew where it would end up. This is one of the few story songs I've ever written. It's really a universal theme that's timeless. So many women have been in relationships with men that they shouldn't be in, but they only see what they want to see. We just set this scene 100 hundred years ago, and I actually see this spaghetti-western movie in my head when I sing it. Suzy Bogguss sang harmony and her voice was perfect for it."
<br>
<br>Shaw also chose to record a song she wrote solo, and another one she had no part in at all. "I wrote 'Crying Time' by myself and I think it's a real 'girl' song," Shaw says. "I think all women can relate to: 'Just let me cry, I'll be fine.' It's okay if I cry. I'm going to feel so much better. It's like, just let me get this out and don,t tell me I shouldn't.' I had just gotten a new keyboard that gave me drum sounds and that really helped to give me a good beat."
<br>
<br>"I didn't write 'Tripped,' although I would have given anything to have written it," Shaw says. "I think it sounds like something I'd write. I'm so thrilled I found this song. I just had to do it. It's one of my favorites."
<br>
<br>Old or new, self-penned or collaboration, all of the songs on OLD FRIENDS, NEW MEMORIES showcase Shaw's growth as a writer and an artist. "I never stopped believing in myself," Shaw states emphatically. "In my life as a songwriter and entertainer I have a lot of people come up to me and ask, 'How do you do this?' I tell them that there isn't one path. You have to chart your own course and each one is going to be unique. My river is not your river. You have to get on your boat and start paddling, keeping your eyes open to recognizing the opportunities and possibilities. You have to find your own way. Never give up. It's difficult and challenging, but it sure beats a real job."
<br>--------------------------------------------------------
<br>Victoria's Stats:
<br>
<br>Full name: Victoria Lynn Shaw
<br>
<br>Favorite color: cobalt blue and lavender
<br>
<br>Favorite foods: lobster, Mexican and Thai food
<br>
<br>Things I don't eat: sugar, flour and caffeine
<br>
<br>Siblings: one sister, Lori - married (to another Bob)
<br>She has three children - Joshua, Drew and Logan
<br>Marital status: married to Robert Locknar
<br>
<br>Wedding anniversary: May 2, 1992 (at the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, Tennessee)
<br>
<br>Born: July 13, 1962 (in New York City)
<br>
<br>Raised: moved to southern California when she was 5, and lived there until she was 18
<br>
<br>Early musical influences: Tom Jones, Elvis Presley and my parents
<br>
<br>Teenage musical influences: Elton John, The Eagles, Queen, Janis Ian, James Taylor, Cher, Harry Chapin, Bette Midler, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Phoebe Snow, Frank Sinatra
<br>
<br>Musical influences: Billy Joel, Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, Kenny Rogers, Barbra Streisand, Jackson Browne, Joan Baez, Barbara Mandrell, and J.D. Souther
<br>
<br>Favorite songwriters: Dolly Parton, Gary Burr, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Oscar & Hammerstein, John Hiatt, Elton John, Joni Mitchell, Randy Newman, Hugh Prestwood, Mary-Chapin Carpenter, James Taylor, the Gershwin brothers, Steve Earle, Paul Davis... too many to mention
<br>
<br>Favorite t.v. show: Mad About You and Seinfeld
<br>
<br>Favorite soap operas: All My Children, One Life To Live and General Hospital
<br>
<br>Favorite movies: Harold and Maude, The World According To Garp, Time After Time
<br>
<br>Favorite books: anything by Dorothy Parker, anything by Fay Weldon
<br>
<br>Pet peeves: being called Vicki
<br>
<br>Hobbies: playing the piano, going to movies, bowling, bicycling, reading, decorating picture frames, shopping!
<br>Albums:
<br>
<br>In Full View - 1994
<br>Victoria Shaw - 1997
<br>Old Friends, New Memories - 1998
<br>Songs for others:
<br>
<br>"The River"*
<br>#1 Song: ASCAP Award 1992; On Garth Brooks' Ropin' The Wind (Liberty)
<br>
<br>"Too Busy Being In Love"*
<br>#1 Song: ASCAP Award 1993; On Doug Stone's From The Heart (Sony)
<br>
<br>"I Love The Way You Love Me"*
<br>#1 Song: ACM Song of the Year 1994: ASCAP Award 1993 On John Michael Montgomery's Life's A Dance (Atlantic)
<br>
<br>"We Don't Have To Do This"
<br>ASCAP Award 1994 On Tanya Tucker's Soon (Liberty)
<br>
<br>"Music On The Wind"
<br>On Suzy Bogguss' Aces (Liberty)
<br>
<br>"Moose Chin Stew"
<br>On Gary Morris' Fool Moon, Empty Heart (Liberty)
<br>
<br>"Future In The Movies"
<br>On Doug Stone's From The Heart (Sony)
<br>
<br>She's Every Woman*
<br>#1 Song: ASCAP Award 1995 On Garth Brooks' Fresh Horses (Capitol Nashville)
<br>
<br>"A Friend To Me"
<br>On Garth Brooks' Sevens (Capitol Nashville)
<br>
<br>"Fight For Our Love"
<br>On Olivia Newton-John's Back With A Heart (MCA)
<br>
<br>"Love Is A Gift"
<br>On Olivia Newton-John's Back With A Heart (MCA)
<br>
<br>"Big Time Dreamer"
<br>On Ty Herndon's Big Hopes (Sony)
<br>
<br>"Where Your Road Leads"
<br>On Trisha Yearwood's Where Your Road Leads (MCA)
<br>Awards:
<br>
<br>Music Row Breakthrough Award 1993
<br>
<br>New York Music Award nomination for Best Songwriter 1993
<br>
<br>ASCAP Triple Play Award 1995
<br>
<br>Emmy Award nomination for "All For The Sake Of Love" 1997 - As The World Turns
<br>
<br>ACM nomination for New Female Vocalist 1996
<br>
<br>Emmy Award nomination for "You Are Where I Belong" 1999 - As The World Turns
<br>
<br>Emmy Award for Outstanding Original Song for "This Is Our Moment (Love Is A Gift)" 1999 - As The World Turns
<br>Fan Club:
<br>
<br>VICTORIA SHAW FAN CLUB
<br>P.O. Box 120512
<br>Nashville, TN 37212-0512
<br>or call (615) 297-7002
<br>Official Website:
<br>
<br>www.vicoriashaw.com