PDA

View Full Version : Lte's try this again.....

GBenthusiast
05-09-2000, 12:06 PM
Ok folks!! We are going to try this a little differently. Hopefully this time I will get some more responses. You guys have to come through for me and help!! This is REALLY hard to do alone!! Just pick a song and tell me something, anything that comes to mind when you hear the song or the title. ANYTHING will do!!<BR>Garth Brooks<BR>If tomorrow never comes<BR>Much too young (to feel this damn old)<BR>The dance<BR>Not counting you<P>No Fences<BR>Friends in low places<BR>Unanswered prayers<BR>Two of a kind, Working on a full house<BR>Thunder Rolls<P>Ropin’ The Wind<BR>Shameless<BR>What she’s doing now<BR>The river<BR>Papa loved mama<BR>We shall be free<P>The Chase<BR>Somewhere other than the night<BR>Learning to live again<BR>That summer<P>In Pieces<BR>Aint going down (till the sum comes up)<BR>AHBA<BR>Standing outside the fire<BR>One night a day<BR>Red Strokes<P>Fresh Horses<BR>Beaches of Cheyenne<BR>She’s every woman<BR>The Fever<BR>That o;’ wind<BR>The change<BR>Midnight Cinderella<P>Sevens<BR>Two Pina Coladas<BR>In another’s eyes<BR>Long neck bottle<BR>Shes gonna make it<BR>You move me<P>To make you feel my love <BR>It’s your song (Double Live)<BR>Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy - Duet with Chris Le Doux<BR>Where your road leads - Duet with Trisha Yearwood<P>Thanks alot to those who help!!<P>Jen<P><BR>N

NewestGBFan
05-09-2000, 01:17 PM
Midnight Cinderella<P>What was he thinking???!!!! :) Ick.<P>The Dance<P>The greatest song I've ever heard.<P>Is this what you wanted?<P>ElaineN

minnesotagbfan
05-09-2000, 01:30 PM
unanswered prayers--- takes me back to may of 94 when the lord showed me garths music and i remember how i had to hear every garth song there was..lol ..and i always remember the ireland and central park shows when the crowd sang the song to him !!!!!N

everynowandthen
05-09-2000, 01:48 PM
Hey Jen,<P>I hope you get more responses this time! :)<P>"The Change"<BR>This song is unique in that has so many levels to it. <BR>First, as a person who volunteers, this song encourages me and reminds me that one person can make a difference.<BR>Secondly, it gives me hope for our world. "This heart still believes that love and mercy still exist." For all the evil in the world, there is so much more that is good about it.<BR>Finally, to me, this song is Garth. In so many ways he has touched countless souls - just with his one hand (and voice), reaching out. I know for me personally there have been times when one of his songs will come out of no where and be exactly what I need at that moment. But ultimately, this song is Garth because I truly believe the world hasn't changed him. While I'm sure his wiser and more cautious, I honestly believe he is the same honest, caring and humble man he has always been. In spite of the fame and fortune, he is still just Troyal Garth Brooks, father, husband, brother and son.<P>Jen,<BR>I hope this is what you're looking for and I hope it's not too long! There may be more to come for other songs.<P>AngelaN

GBenthusiast
05-09-2000, 02:13 PM
This is great!! Keep em' coming people!!<P>JenN

thechange1
05-09-2000, 02:58 PM
<P> Everytime I hear the song "What she's doing now" reminds me of the long strolls down the snow-covered gravel road where I grew up. I would take out my dog and walk up and down the road that led to my farm. My breath would surround me in a cloud of mist in the bitter cold. My face would be frozen in the unforgiving weather, but my heart and soul would be warmed by Garth's beautiful music. My dog would romp around and jump into snow drifts. I would look up at the stars and smile as they glow with their beauty.N

Teach
05-09-2000, 04:57 PM
"It's Your Song" gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. It makes me think of all the important people in my life that helped me become the kind of person I am today.<P>"If Tomorrow Never Comes" reminds me to always treat the people that I love with kindness, respect, and love because we never know what will happen tomorrow. It also reminds me to tell them how I feel about them.N

GBenthusiast
05-09-2000, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys!!!<P>Keep em' coming!!<P>JenN

Lowell Miller
05-09-2000, 05:45 PM
"Ain't going down (till the sun comes up)" Makes me think of my ex-girlfriend. We would drive around in her jeep with the top down. We learned every word and would sing at the top of our lungs with the moonlight shinning down on us. :)N

GBsMydance
05-09-2000, 06:00 PM
Hands down ... the Dance..<BR>But, I will have to say<BR>WYCBTMA... is coming on strong.. I love this song.<BR>Thanks for asking..<BR> Believing with all my heart<BR> PamN

RightNow
05-10-2000, 02:20 AM
"It's midnight Cinderella"<BR>When I first heard it I fell in love with it. It's not my favorite but it's right up there after The fever. Also, I didn't even know it was garth at first. I heard it on the bus going to school all the time. When I saw the C.D. "Fresh Horses" I bought it instantly and Fresh Horses was the last C.D. I bought of Garth's when Sevens came out. I took me months before I found it. Now I buy every C.D. on the first day of release. I think this song is funny.N

GBenthusiast
05-10-2000, 11:08 AM
GREAT!! To all of those who have not posted yet, get your thinking caps out and use them. Do you remember the first time you heard friends in low places? Does dixie chicken remind you of your ex girlfriend? Tell me about it!!<P>jenN

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
05-10-2000, 11:26 AM
Hey Jen :)<P>Standing Outside The Fire has always been<BR>a very inspirational song for me. I listen to it nearly every time, prior to taking an exam or quiz :) <P>The song became expecially<BR>meaningful to me, after seeing the video. I <BR>have a brother who was born mentally handicapped. The young man in the video<BR>reminds me a lot of my brother, who is also<BR>a very strong and determined individual :) His kindness and courage also inspires me.<P>CCN

jacsan1451
05-11-2000, 04:09 AM
I am not really a big religious person, but after hearing "Unanswered Prayers" it really moved me. It really made me look at things that have happened in my life differently.it made me grateful for things that I prayed for and didn't happen. Also, every time I hear "Friends in Low Places" in brings me back to 1991 and a local bar where I live. It was St. Pat's day and every one was having a GREAT time and then the song came on and the bar went crazy!!! It was one of the funniest days I have ever had. Jackie <BR>N

Brooks7
05-11-2000, 04:42 AM
The Dance<BR>Everytime I hear it I think of when my son was born in Apr 89, he was very sick and I thought he would die, then I heard this song and started treasuring every moment with him instead of waiting for him to die, the song changed my view on life, and gave me some great memories. My son is now greatN

GBenthusiast
05-11-2000, 11:05 AM
This is wierd. Im gonna post to my own topic. <P>FILP reminds me of 1992 when we would have field parties with bonfires and all. Every time, someone (anyone) would put the tape in their car stereo and we would all stand around hugging each other, holding hands singing to the top of our lungs. That song meant the night was coming to an end. That was when we would all say our goodbyes. I still remember the last time we all sang that song together. It was at my wedding in 1993, we all stood in a circle holding hands and singing. It was a really good song between our circle of friends.<P>What shes doing now reminds me of the fall of 1992 also when I was pregnant with my daughter and I would only listen to that tape. (back then tapes were not a thing of the past.)<P>Jen N

TGcraz4GB
05-11-2000, 11:42 AM
Well this one's not on your list. Hope its o.k. to use. "We Bury The Hatchet" fits me and my hubby to a T. We've been together since I was 15. We were H.S. sweethearts. (football player/cheerleader). We were so young and have been through our share of good/bad times. We both try to forgive & forget but ya know how that goes. Well the song says it all!<P>Terri N

GBenthusiast
05-11-2000, 04:54 PM
Terri,<P>Thanks for the story, but I cant use it bacause It was never released. I can only use the singles that were released. Im sorry!<P>Can you think of another one?<P>JenN

TGcraz4GB
05-11-2000, 06:00 PM
Jen,<BR>No problem. I'll give it another try.<P>TerriN

SpockSarah
05-11-2000, 07:54 PM
Hey all,<P> Interesting... Well, first off, I will talk about "The Dance." I played the dance at my wedding to Diane, and danced with my ex husband to it. I thought it put said to everything that needed to be said between us. "The Dance" is also one of the songs I want played at my funeral.<P> "Shameless," was the first dance that Diane and I danced to after our wedding ceremony. It has always been our song, and I will never forget how beautiful she was on that day, in her white tux and tails, and how full of love I still am for her.<P> Hope that helps you out :)<P>Live long and prosper,<BR>SarahN

GRTH FAN
05-11-2000, 09:03 PM
When I heard "Much Too Young (To feel This Damn Old)" in 1989, I said "That man is gonna be the greatest Entertainer in the World and out sell the Beatles! My Father-In-Law bet me $20.00 that he wouldn't last and that I would be wrong!! He's almost there in selling more then the Beatles, and the Father-In-Law still owes me that $20.00!<BR>Donna :)N

GBenthusiast
05-12-2000, 01:25 AM
Cool!!<P>JenN

GBenthusiast
05-13-2000, 04:55 AM
Come on guys!! Get your caps on again!! I need more!! I can't make something up for each song. I want it to be from everyone!! Please help me. I know it sounds like I'm asking for blood, but really, I'm not!<P>Tell me your story.<P>JenN

GBenthusiast
05-13-2000, 04:56 AM
You can tell me what the song means to you or how it has changed your life too. Inform me.<P>JenN

everynowandthen
05-13-2000, 08:22 AM
Hey Jen,<P>Hope you're not tired of me replying, but I could talk about Garth's songs all day!<P>"That Ol' Wind"<P>I'm not sure what it is about this song, but it just takes me away. It one of those songs I listen to when I want to get away from "my world" and go somewhere else - even if it's just for those 3 or 4 minutes. And there's something that draws me to this particular song, but I can't put my finger on it. I just love the way I feel when I listen to it.<P>AngelaN

Hawk7lte
05-13-2000, 09:30 AM
"In Another's Eyes"<P>I saw this song performed by Garth on Jay Leno's show. After that, I went to see him in concert.<P>The song sounds to me like two people are being seen differently (more perfect) than they are and are caught in a conflict situation involving relationships where a resolution isn't readily available.<P>"Send another's eyes" - is a line in the song that sounds like a prayer for help (this is the part where Garth lifts his hand up to heaven as if for help.) The intensity, the emotion, and the dramatic espression of the feelings suggests that Garth really did feel this song deeply though not in the way that most people would think.<P>As three people contributed to the song I don't think it is about Garth literally; or about Trish at all. However, it was when Garth's very real problems with his label company, his mother's health problems, the tour, and a couple of other major conflicts were all accumulating stress. And I think this is when several things really began to surface that would lead to where he is now. At the same time he was peaking in his career - a critical period for stars.<P>Before that I was aware of Garth, watched him develop as I have others and really liked his work. After that song though,<BR>I've watched his career closely, and at times added my prayers to his, his family, and those of you that believe in him. I have been impressed with the decisions that he makes and when he makes them as he matures. Regardless of what some people with limited perspectives express at times; Garth is a lesson in handling difficult situations, and coping with stardom extremely well. He has my utmost respect as a person who does care. <P><BR>HawkN

jdgbtweety
05-13-2000, 09:55 AM
Standing outside the fire is the song I got one of my life mottos from. I used the chorus as my sr. quote in my high school yearbook. <BR>The River brings tears to my eyes. I had a guy that I went through highschool with who was my bestfriend. We would often sing this song together and to each other. I hope that since we are unable to talk to each other he remember me when he hears the song.<BR>The dance is the greatest song that was ever written and it was sung by a great singer. WHo could ask for more.<P>Jen Hope that works for you.<P> :) JenniferN

GBenthusiast
05-13-2000, 09:56 AM
Thank you!! Anything works. You can reply as many times as you like. I need responses!!<P>Thanks!<P>JenN

GBenthusiast
05-14-2000, 05:40 AM
I hate to be such a pain in the keaster, but I need something about all of these songs. Can someone please take some of the songs that have not been told about yet and say something, anything about them?<P>Thanks!!<P>JenN

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 02:49 PM
Okay Jen since this is important to you;<P>"If tomorrow never comes". Contains one of the all time great lines "So tell someone you love them in case tomorrow never comes"<P>Obviously one of the songs which expresses Garth struggles with loving and losing - a repeating theme and question in his life.<P>"Unanswered prayers" - not one of the songs where I totally agree with the message. "Sometimes God's greatest gift is unanswered prayers". I just think sometimes God's answer is nope, but the final choice is yours bud....<P> <BR>"Two of a kind working on a full house" Kenny Rogers must love this "gambler" view of a relationship. And aren't all relationships a gamble? Actually it's a cute song with some fun plays on words and puns.<P>"Not counting You" - Straight forward message, you're the only one that ever connected with me in this way...<P>"Thunder Rolls" - one of my favorites. An all time classic tale of impending violence. Great comparison of the building tension within the relationship to the building storm. Both with the potential for violence. An excellent example of "abusive" relationships. Recognized by many therapists as having the potential to reach couples before it is too late.<P>"Papa loves Mama" - another one dealing with violence and infidiality within relationships. A little lighter touch but with the same serious message. Another repeating theme in the songs Garth records.<P>I'll do more in a little bit.....tired of me yet?<P>Hawk N

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 03:18 PM
Next bunch;<P>"Much too young (to feel this damn old); A sad song to me. A song of the woes of the road. A song that screams out why anyone would get burned out on tour. And a plea for understanding at the same time.<P>"The River"; One of the most beautiful lyrically. Terrific use of words and a wonderful philosophy of life. And of course I love the view of freedom in the line "like a bird upon the wind". The statement of faith pleases me too; "but with the good Lord as my captain I can make it through them all..yes.<P>"We shall be free". "Stand straight, walk proud, have a little faith". More words to live by. Paraphrased - Stand tall, walk proud, keep your eyes on the sky....God's way - freedom.<P>"Somewhere other than the night" - A woman's need to be held, loved, appreciated, and given attention - not just during lovemaking. I love the picture of the couple sitting in the porchswing with only the blanket and their arms around each other.<P>"That Summer" - A young man takes the first step into sexual maturity in the arms of an experienced and very lonesome woman. A song of appreciation for a lesson well learned.<P>"Learning to live again" - the adjustment after the ending of a relationship. Difficult period of life eased musically.<P><BR>Four more - are you tired of me yet? Just wanted you to get what you wanted on Mother's day (whether you're a mother or not) -<P>Hawk N

sasteen
05-14-2000, 03:26 PM
Right now I have a couple....Keep in mind it is late.<P>Baby Jesus is Born - he sang this at Donny and Marie when I saw him 20 feet away (the closest I will ever get)<P>The Dance - reminds me of my life. It has been and we have been through alot, but wouldn't change a thing. I have learned alot.<P>The old stuff - it was his first song during the first concert plus the first time I saw Garth.<P>Its Your Song - because it reminds me of how I wish I could hug the hurt away that Garth felt when he lost his mom. I have never really lost anyone close and my mom would definately be a bad one. She is my best friend.<P>That summer - because I wish it were me he had a "summer romance" with<P>Thanks <BR>N

GRTH FAN
05-14-2000, 03:42 PM
Hawk, GREAT JOB!! You did a good job on the songs!<BR>Donna :)N

GBenthusiast
05-14-2000, 03:51 PM
Hawk,<P>You are wonderful!!<P>Thanks alot!!!!<P>I'm not tired of you. And I am a mother. hehehe<P>JenN

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 03:58 PM
More <P>"AHBA" Another song of philosophy - reaching out a hand to help up someone who is down. Have to love a group like that.<P>"Red Strokes". Use of sight, touch, color, and powerful words to evoke memories of moments of passion. Fitting name for his new company too. Another of my all time favorites.<P>"Ain't going down" Have to add - oh that rising scream of triumph before the tempo begins to pick up again.<P>"Beaches of Cheyenne" A tribute song to the man who loved the ride and the woman who loved the man. Tragic - and again dealing with love and loss.<P>"Midnight Cinderella" - Again want to add something. This song is clever - use of an old children's favorite to make an adult point. So the young lady got had by a rat - and the prince is gonna' make it all okay again inside that pumpkin shell. You know I'll bet there is love, and protection in that song along with recognition that we're all children at heart especially when it comes to "affairs of the heart". And I'll bet that prince does fix it too with those lil' ole' tricks he has up his sleeve. HeHe<P>Well time for X-files - I'll finish this up before midnight Cinderella....<P>Hawk<P>N

GBenthusiast
05-14-2000, 04:04 PM
Thats fine by me. I'll just have to scatter yours through out the pages so they dont all look like they are from you. heheh Youre funny!!<P>JenN

fuzzwuzz55
05-14-2000, 04:45 PM
Hey, let's give Chris Gaines some room on this list too! Boo hoo!N

Teach
05-14-2000, 05:04 PM
My son and his wife danced the first dance at their wedding to the song "To Make You Feel My Love" and I will always think of their lovely wedding when I hear that song.<P>I heard "Somewhere Other Than The Night" at my first Garth Brooks concert and I thought at that time how much this man understands what is important in a meaningful relationship.N

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 05:31 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.......<P>"One night a day". A song that Garth didn't help write. Kinda' a relationship version of "one step at a time". Gotta get through the breakup anyway you can just make it through each night every day.<P>"She's every woman" Oh Lord and men love 'em, these women-they're all alike and entirely different. Perfectly wonderful even if not perfectly understandable. Something magical in them all.<P>"The Fever" Probably the rat that messed up Cinderella's dream. And everyone is gonna' make sure he doesn't do it again to anyone.<P>"That ole' wind" A tribute to lasting love. A couple finally reunites. Someday they may even reveal the secrets each has been keeping which will solidify their love even more. For now love and passion replaces open communication.<P>"Two Pina Coladas" Fun song. Tongue in musical cheek. This is a man that isn't gonna' let small things like a relationship break up - get him down. Clever little tune.<P>"She's gonna make it" Well, well, the reality is that the break-up is harder for the male after all (he just trys to hide it more). <P>"Whatcha gonna do with a cowboy" (has anyone notice that none of us know how to spell "going to") Another song that makes me smile. It's more fun to date than keep a cowboy around for very long. <P>Only three left.<P>Hawk<P>N

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 05:53 PM
Last three<P>"Long Neck Bottle" A guy struggles with the love for the beer versus the love for the lady. Sounds as though the lady has come in second too many times. <P>"You Move Me" Another one of my favorites. I get a visual image of a guy sitting on a couch laughing out loud while he works some things through. Really a beautiful song about love slipping up behind someone and grabbing their heart forever.<P>"It's Your Song" A loving tribute to a loving woman. Brings back memories of watching Mrs. Colleen Carroll Brooks on T.V. as Garth sings this song for her.<P>"Where Your Road Leads" Sorry I haven't heard this one song. But I promised to finish this up before midnight so - Wild guess - have to follow your heart and it won't lead you down the wrong path. (anyone know is that a good guess?).<P>And now Jen - you have your wish - hopefully others will add their thoughts too.<P>Sincerely Happy Mother's Day.....<P>Hawk <P>N

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 05:54 PM
Last three<P>"Long Neck Bottle" A guy struggles with the love for the beer versus the love for the lady. Sounds as though the lady has come in second too many times. <P>"You Move Me" Another one of my favorites. I get a visual image of a guy sitting on a couch laughing out loud while he works some things through. Really a beautiful song about love slipping up behind someone and grabbing their heart forever.<P>"It's Your Song" A loving tribute to a loving woman. Brings back memories of watching Mrs. Colleen Carroll Brooks on T.V. as Garth sings this song for her.<P>"Where Your Road Leads" Sorry I haven't heard this one song. But I promised to finish this up before midnight so - Wild guess - have to follow your heart and it won't lead you down the wrong path. (anyone know is that a good guess?).<P>And now Jen - you have your wish - hopefully others will add their thoughts too.<P>Sincerely Happy Mother's Day.....<P>Hawk <P>N

Hawk7lte
05-14-2000, 06:05 PM
Oops - sorry about the double post;<P>Postscript; Lesson to "You Move Me" is if you let your heart hang out - someone is bound to recognize its loving value, grab hold, and hold on forever.<P>'Tis better to love...than never to know love at all.<P>Hawk<P><BR>N

azyankee
05-14-2000, 07:10 PM
Since <B>"One Night A Day"</B> is my ultimate favorite Garth song, and no one has attempted it yet, may I jump in?<P><B>"One Night A Day"</B> sings to the heart of the lonely soul. It tells the story of love lost and the internal struggle to find a way to go on with life. Surviving the lonely nights are the hardest. That's when you are truly all alone with nothing but your thoughts. Everywhere you turn, everything you try is just another attempt to get through one more lonely night.<P>If that song doesn't sing to your soul, especially with that mournful sax solo at the end, then there is no hope for you! LOL!<P>Y@nkeeN

azyankee
05-14-2000, 07:17 PM
Tommy and I declared <B>"You Move Me"</B> as "our" song over a year ago! I can't hear that song now without thinking of Tommy Kao and the way he would type it out to me on ICQ!!! Especially the line "You go whistling through the dark, making light of it...making light of it"<P>I think this became our song because of that line. Tommy and I laugh together all the time! Laughter is important to me. It can get a person through some of the roughest times! And by 'Whistling in the dark, making light of it'...I have always been able to cheer someone up; get them laughing before we hung up the phone or ended the chat.<P>I don't know if that's what you wanted or not, Jen, but that song definitely makes me think of our Honky!<P>Y@nkeeN

GBenthusiast
05-15-2000, 10:29 AM
You guys are awesome. Anyone else want to jump in? I can use more. My time here is not over yet. This is really awesome though. Thanks for all who have participated so far.<P>Jen PS-Hawk, I'm happy now!! Thanks!!N

GRTH FAN
05-15-2000, 10:56 AM
Hawk, You get an A+ from me! That was great and I liked them all!!<BR>Donna :)<BR>Yankee, Yours was great about you and Tommy Too!! :)N

GBenthusiast
05-15-2000, 12:58 PM
GRTH FAN<P>DITTO!!<P>JenN

nelty
05-15-2000, 01:21 PM
Unanswered Prayers.<P>it was the first time that understand why things happens. Even if it don't happen, something better will come true. That, gave me the courage to get up everyday and do what I do. <P>The Dance<P>Took me a while to understand the song. But when I finally understood what it made. I felt like "drop dead" on the floor. I have never thought of my life like that before. It's gave meanings to go on even when it hurts.<P>The River. <P>Taught me that dreams will come true. Taught me that everyone have to dream in life. Success starts with dreaming. You can be anyone or anything if you keep dreaming and never ever give up. <P>NellyN

nelty
05-15-2000, 01:24 PM
ops.. mistake a few changes.<P>I meant to say "what it meant" and not. "But when I finally understood what it made."<P>and<P>I meant "dreams will and can come true" instead, "Taught me that dreams will come true." <P><BR>Nelly<BR>N

GBenthusiast
05-15-2000, 01:33 PM
Thanks Nelly!!<P>JenN

Flo
05-15-2000, 05:40 PM
The Fever brings me back to July 1996 when I first saw Garth in concert at Cheyenne Frontier Days. My family and I went to our first rodeo on the afternoon of his concert and loved it. We videotaped a lot of it and when we got home from our travels put together a video of our trip with music in the background. The Fever worked perfectly for the video of the rodeo with the bulls bucking and spinning right in time to the music - it was made for it! Garth's concert that night was great. I knew then then and there that one was not enough. When he sang "She's Every Woman" he dedicated to his Mom who was in the audience, so whenever I hear that song now, I think of Mama Brooks. And if I'm not mistaken (Cheryl, help me out here if your memory is better)Garth and Chris Ledoux sang "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy" - at least "that's the way I remember it"N

GRTH FAN
05-15-2000, 08:58 PM
Flo, Yep Garth and Chris LeDoux sang "Whatcha ya gonna do with a cowboy" I was there! It was for the 100th yr of Frontier Days!<BR>Donna :)N

GBenthusiast
05-16-2000, 04:28 PM
Believe it or not, I really dont have an opinion about that song because Ive only heard it about 10 times although I have been a fan for 8 years!!<P>JenN

garthsgirl
05-16-2000, 04:45 PM
Hi All, here's my .07:<BR> If Tomorrow Never Comes: Reminds me that even though I will never be perfect I need to treat the people I love the best I can, and show them on a daily basis.<BR> The Thunder Rolls: I never have to let anyone treat me that way again. We all are worth more than that.<BR> Learning To Live Again: Time heals all wounds if given a chance.<BR> The River: No matter what I've been through, what's been done to me, don't give up, because in the end life is definately worth living. I will never stay on the shoreline again.<BR> Standing Outside The Fire: Reach that dream.<BR> It's Midnight Cinderella: I love this song. It is a silly side of Garth. It also reminds me of there always having someone there you can turn to.<BR> Right Now: Like We Shall Be Free, reminds me while that I may not like everyone, I do have to love them. Everyone is different in their own way, and we should embrace and learn from that.<BR> When You Come Back To Me Again: Words cannot describe what I feel when I hear this incredible song.<BR> The Dance: Lest I forget this one!! If I never knew what pain was, I would never know joy, because there would be nothing to compare it to.<BR> Sorry for the long post.<BR> Lisa<BR>N

BLL
05-16-2000, 06:08 PM
I know 'The Dance' has been covered from many<BR>angles, but I'd like to add my nickle's worth.<P>Like Garth, this is my favourite song. I have spent my life attracted to singer-songwriters, from Bob Dylan to Paul McCartney to John Denver to Henry Chapin to Mary Chapin Carpenter to Garth.<P>I grew to adulthood in the shadow of an abusive, physically and verbally, father who broke many bones and shattered many dreams. I would never,ever be the person he expected or demanded. He died two years ago; I haven't lived up to HIS expectations. It was impossible to do so, and before he died I told him so and we made our peace; the irony is how VERY much I'm like him. He was, in fact,a very good soul with a misplaced sense of teaching a child how to be a 'productive citizen'. He could be kind, caring, giving, and generous to a fault to everyone but his family. I miss his fun and wisdom; I miss not his darkness. My father formed me from hardship, but he has also passed on his strength and tenacity. I am very glad I didn't miss the pain; my Father's 'dance' was profound and stricking, and I am proud to be his child.<P>This song exemplified, more than any literature, any poetry, what life truly meant. The brief fragments of joy obtained in childhood far outweigh the hardships endured.<P>I have matured to find a fulfiling life, including a wonderful man whom I love and receive much love from. We have two beautful adult children, who understand that life is often hard, but rewarding.<P>"...I could have missed the pain, but I'd have missed the dance..."N

GRTH FAN
05-17-2000, 05:44 AM
BLL, Your story was very touching! It had me in tears! Thanks for sharing!<BR>Donna :)("The Dance" Always!N

GBenthusiast
05-18-2000, 11:18 AM
Awesome story BLL!!<P>Thanks!!<P>JenN

GBenthusiast
05-19-2000, 10:26 AM
Anyone else before I start working on this?<P>JenN

BlueRose
05-19-2000, 03:52 PM
Flo and Donna, you've got me tearful here just remembering that night. Seeing Garth there gave me a reason to leave that "dark bedroom" of despair that Diane and I talked about and you're right about Chris and Garth doing "Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy". My brother-in-law went nuts! I, on the otherhand, was just dumbfounded over what I was experiencing, the answer was there right in front of me. THANK YOU GARTH!!<P>"The Change"- When I first heard this song, it represented every thing that I was taught to believe. My Grandfather on my Father's side was a slave and it [slavery] left some deeply embedded scars in my Father but my parents taught us not to live in the past and not to judge all people of a certain race by the actions of some. They said give everyone a chance, then decide for yourself if that is someone you want as a friend, based on the size of their heart. So, I did just that and throughout school I developed friendships with kids of various races.<P>Then in my Junior year in High School, a race riot broke out and the lines were drawn. If you were Black, it was the Blacks against the Whites and if you were White, it was the Whites against the Blacks. I was in the middle. I refused to take sides; it was wrong and senseless period regardless of how it started. People were hurt needlessly and while I lost Black friends as well as White friends for not choosing sides, I believed in what I was taught and I would not change. <P>Cheryl<BR> <P>N

GBenthusiast
05-19-2000, 06:52 PM
Thanks for your story Cheryl. That was a heartening story.<P>This fits perfectly!!<P>JenN

GRTH FAN
05-19-2000, 07:54 PM
Thanks Cheryl for your story!! God made all colors to Love one another UNCONDITIONALLY!!<BR>A Friend Donna :)N

GBFANANTIC
05-24-2000, 05:44 PM
The song I would pick would be THE RIVER<P>One of the first time I heard this song is right after I had a miscarriage. It put the miscarriage into perspective for me. Because as we all know a dream is like a river, it can change as it flows and that we as dreamers must follow it where it flows. In my case I had to follow it and realize that there was a reason for it. I thank God now that I have since had 2 healthy babies (age 7 & 4 1/2). <P>Thanks for listening. <P>BonnieN

brooks1fan
05-24-2000, 06:13 PM
My favorite is Shameless. My altime fantasy, to have Garth sing that song to me. With all that strength, and to be able to show so much compassion, desire, and honesty..."you know it should be easy for a man whose strong to say he's sorry or admit when he's wrong. I never lost anything I ever missed, but I've never been in love like this...." Gets me every time!!!!!!N

GBenthusiast
05-25-2000, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the stories!!<P>JenN

Vanessa
05-26-2000, 11:02 AM
Here's my 2 cents:<P>Friend To Me: I like this song because, to me it tells me that even though best friends fight and have troubles with each other, that they'll always be with you to help you on your way. <P>The Dance: I like this song because, I think it honors several of the most respected people in the world. I also like Garth's little speech at the end, "...I never compare myself to the folks in the video.... I would want them to play The Dance for me, because I would've missed the pain...I wouldn't miss this for the world" I'm sure that that's not right, but that's okay. <P> Who would compare themselves to the people in the video? (Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Lane Frost, people from Challenger, JFK and others). &lt;---Here's something to think about,eh?? <P>That's my 2 cents! :)<P>Vanessa :)<P> N

everynowandthen
05-27-2000, 08:06 AM
Jen,<P>Hope you don't mind or that you tired of me replying but here's more :)<P>Somewhere Other than the Night:<BR>There's been times in my marriage when it's hard to listen to this song. That line that seems to stick out the most is, "There are times she feels alone even by his side." There isn't a more empty feeling than that. But like the man in the song, my husband has (thankfully) come to realize "he's neglected certain things." And I'm sure there have been times when I've done the same thing. It's so easy to get caught up in life and getting things done and forget about what really matters - love. And expressing that love as often as possible. :)<P>Unanswered Prayers:<BR>I'm not going to tell the story behind this. All I can say is, "Thanks God, for not answering that one." <P>This song is not on your list, but if I'm not mistaken, it is still supposed to be released as a single. I hope you can use this, if not, it's a story worth telling.<P>I Don't Have to Wonder Anymore:<BR>I had bought the SEVENS cd and for some reason hadn't listened to this song yet. I was on my computer one day, listening to an interview Garth had done while in Ireland. He was talking about each song from SEVENS and came to this one. <BR>I have to pause here, and tell you I had a brother that took his own life (Sept. 95) - ironically enough, he jumped from a bridge also.<BR>So I'm at my computer and Garth starts describing this song...<BR>Immediately I played it. It hit me until the last couple of lines: "And the angels sang like thunder, as I felt myself go under, now I don't have to wonder, anymore." Immediately the tears began to flow. But not just because of the song. A couple of days after my brother's death, I spoke to his girlfriend and asked her why she thought he did it. She replied, "I think he was just afraid of having to be a "regular guy". But now, he doesn't have to wonder anymore.<BR>Those words came rushing back to me as I heard this song!<BR>So this song is special to me. It's like a voice from beyond. Telling me, "I'm free. No more doubts or questions."<BR>Thanks for this one, Garth. :)<P>Jen, I may have one or two more to come! I hope this is going well for you.<P>Angela<P>N

brooks1fan
05-27-2000, 05:29 PM
Not sure if you can use this or not, but WYCBTM is fast becoming my favorite song. I've really been listening to it alot lately, several times a day, over and over. Really listening to the words, and to sum it up, its everything I would love to tell Garth myself. It is the ultimate song from a fan to him. There have been and still are so many times that that ship has been and is me. I still feel so lost sometimes, not knowing where I'm going, desperately trying to get somewhere, anywhere. And then theres the light house. Garth is my lighthouse. "On a prayer, in a song" I hear his voice and it keeps me hangin on. I'm just waiting for my moment, where I can change things, cause Lord knows, my heart's in the right place. I know I've lost alot of you with some of this. Some very complicated and personal things that I don't really want to get into right now, but maybe I will another time. Anyway, I just had to add my thoughts. Garth really has a winner with this one. It's already #1 with me.<P>Garth Forever, <P>Tina N

gb-a-holic
05-27-2000, 06:31 PM
Two Pina Coladas--reminds me of all the times I have rode around in my 11 yr old car with the window and sang this song at the top of my lungs, even going so far as the do hand motions for some of the words. :) It's the best traveling song.<P>Standing Outside the Fire-- reminds me everytime I hear it of all the times I have stood outside the fire and missed out on things for fear of getting burned. I try to jump into the flames every once and a while now just to see how it is.<P>Long live Garth!!!!N

Hawk7lte
05-27-2000, 06:47 PM
In Aug '97 I was sitting at the Grand Lake of the Cherokee, Oklahoma. I was playing like a lighthouse blowing warnings on a coca-cola bottle to keep boats off the rocks below the cliff. (LOL - the things I do to entertain myself at times)<P>As I listened to "The Dance" two skunks came out of the bush and walked right up to me. I sat as still as I could (Garth has never had such a frozen audience as me at the moment.) The smaller skunk sat down at my feet while the larger skunk wandered up the hill where some people had been loudly preparing a late dinner. The people very shortly thereafter jumped into their cars and left. (Double LOL) The smaller stood and carefully turned in a circle (was it a dance?). The larger returned, both glanced at me. Then turned and disappeared back into the bushes. <P>Now that's mah true story (so of course I'm sticking to it) and believe me I won't forget The Dance.<P><BR>Hawk <P>N

GBenthusiast
05-28-2000, 11:36 AM
Hawk,<P>LOL!! You're too much!! Thanks!!<P>JenN

cinderella4gb
05-28-2000, 04:11 PM
Hey Jen,<BR>You asked about FILP..hope this isn't too long...<BR>a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away<BR>uh oh wrong opening...any way<BR>I was in a low place with some low friends. I used to be a little on the wild side and I was in this honky tonk, drinkin some beers shootin the breeze, flirtin, playin pool and generally having a hell of a time, when someone put this song on the jukebox. We usually only would sing Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws etc. and the closest we came to country was some Travis Tritt and David Allen Coe(which we all new the words and sang to, after many beers)Well, we all liked this song because it was all about us, and quite the party tune. By the end of the evening we all new the word and sang it very loudly. It became a regular party tune for us. I wasn't much into country music but I sure did like to drink and raise hell. Took a few more years and some settling down to finally listen to other Garth tunes, and now he is my very favorite artist of all time. He inspires me and sings to my very soul. I can't say that any song is my favorite because I love them all, and they all have some meaning for me. But I had to tell you about that very 1st listen. Sometime I may post about how I became obsessed with "Da Man" but not today. <BR> :) :) :)<BR>Peace & Garth<BR>sandyN