PDA

View Full Version : Dont Get Discouraged.....

SweetGBFan
06-30-2000, 07:42 PM
Just want to say about WYCBTMA this song has done great on the charts!! For a song that was not officially released to radio, this song is in the top 20 on almost all radio and video charts. I think thats great. I know we want this song to be #1,which I think it probably wont, and we would love for it to go top 10 at least, but to get as far as it has without actually being released as a single, the song is in the words of a DJ the other night on the radio"doing awesome on the charts". We can still hope, but lets not get discouraged even if it doesnt go top ten, our Garth has done it again. Now lets look for him at the Oscars, hopefully as a nominee for Best Song, and lets look for a Best Video award at the CMAs in October. I am keeping both my fingers and toes crossed for both.N

gbking
06-30-2000, 09:16 PM
I would like to reiterate this point.
<br>I was so angry when I thought it had dropped, but really, it does have a handicap.
<br>
<br>Also, another point I was talking about with my girlfriend is that after an artist has been around for awhile they get taken as seriously, or there isn't a craze as their was in the beginning. Look at Garth, Metallica, Janet Jackson, and Sting. They all are still doing music, just as good if not better as in the beginning of their careers, but they aren't putting up the "numbers" as before.
<br>I think it's because the people are used to seeing their name and just sorta take it for granted per se.
<br>As sad as it is to say, it's not about the music as much as many of us would like to think it is. Think if WYCBTMA was on No Fences and released in that time period. #1 Easy. Or if it was on this soundtrack in 1992. #1 easy.
<br>
<br>DerekN

gbking
06-30-2000, 09:17 PM
I have a question also.
<br>
<br>How do I move up from a junior member to a member to a senior member and how can I find out what I'm at right now?
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>DerekN

Chris Gaines
06-30-2000, 09:54 PM
Derek,
<br>
<br>Your a Jr. till your 25th Post then you become a "Member" till your 1,000th Post of which you'll become a "Senior Member" :)
<br>
<br>You can check your post totals by clicking the LITTLE TINY Pic with the "?" right by the "Subject field" of all your posts.. takes ya to your "PG Profile")
<br>
<br>Hope that helps :)
<br>JasonN

honky
06-30-2000, 10:03 PM
Well... don't get offended, I have to disagree with what y'all had said.
<br>
<br>First, we need to realize that even if the new song is not released to public, the song should have done much better than as it is now. Think about this. Since the song is not released to public, wouldn't it make more sense that more people would request for it? If that's the case, the song should be moving up on the chart much faster than it is now :mad:
<br>
<br>
<br>Secondly, I can't agree with people saying that Garth is not as HOT as before. It's true that he doesn't sell that many copies than before, but you have to realize a position of a single does not equal sale of an album. Look at George Strait. He still has a couple No.1 hits, but his overall album sale has gone down quite a bit.
<br>
<br>
<br>My conclusion is that there are some country stations that deliberately IGNORE Garth's singles because of several reasons. They can be:
<br>
<br>1)Chris Gaines
<br>2)The Retirement thang (as one station declared) and
<br>3)not having a new country album.
<br>
<br>Just take a look at the country sale in general. The selling has gone down for most of artists, even for the class of 90's (including Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunns, and Clint Black).
<br>
<br>Honestly, country listeners aren't buying lots of CDs.... Even for Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. With their numerous hits and Faith's pop success, their sellings aren't as good as it would back in early 90's. Come on, Faith's "Breathe" has been No.1 on AC chart for many weeks, but the overall selling is currently at 4 millions.
<br>
<br>Look at John Michael Mongomery's early success. His first 2 albums sold almost 10 millions!!! And look at his last 2 albums sale!! PATHETIC!!
<br>
<br>I think country is undergoing major revolution now. Without promoting country artists to POP, almost noone will sell more than 4 millions (Tim only sold 3 millios for his latest.. I know it's awesome, but THINK ABOUT HOW OFTEN HIS SONGS GOT PLAYED!!) The only artist that survives this trend is the Dixie Chicks. I hate to admit this, but they are selling like crazy. But then, the country in general is suffering.
<br>
<br>
<br>Jo Dee has 4 (or 3) NO.1 for her "I'm Alright" album. But she only sold 2 millions.
<br>
<br>
<br>Ok.. now for Garth, despite the downhilll of country music sale, he still sells a couple millions without promoting himself to POP. Well... who knows how much Garth can sell for his next album.. Maybe just 3 millions.... :eek:
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>Anyway... that' just my 2-cents on this issue.
<br>
<br>
<br>Just KEEP REQUESTING FOR IT!! ANNOY YOUR STATAIONS!! *LOL*
<br>
<br>
<br>Tommy
<br>
<br>N

hugeGBnutt
06-30-2000, 10:26 PM
Derek,
<br>
<br>I think you said it perfectly, i'm one of the fans that want everything and anything he does to go to #1, and one of the reasons for that is because we all know how much Garth wants it, but i don't think we can expect the success he had in the early 90's (esp., say, 1992-1994), after time it's bound for an artists sales to go down, unfortunately :(, no matter how good the music is or how much of a public figure you are...people just find other artists they like or find something to critize the artist they once liked about(which happens ALOT with Garth) or they just get tired of the artist. I mean does anyone hear honestly think that anything Garth could/will do in the future could possibly sell 16 million albums, i sure don't think so....but Garth sales are good considering he's been around going on close to 12 years :), but man would i love to see the early 90's success!:)......
<br>
<br>aRiN

SweetGBFan
07-01-2000, 03:30 AM
I agree and disagree with some points. I agree that maybe country radio in some cases isnt playing as much Garth because hes laying low for awhile. I think if he has made a new country album, once it is released it will sell just like his others. I think that his popularity isnt probably as great as early 90s although look how well he still does anytime he is on TV or releases an album. Last year his Christmas special for example 16 million people watched and his Christmas album debut was at #1 on the country charts a first if Im not mistaken. How many country artists could say that? I think before he went on hiatus he was as popular as ever. Album sales of Double Live proved that. I do think the Chris Gaines thing hurt him a bit, but not too much. I think his core audience is still there. Anyway I think this song has done great. Country stations got it off a video just to have new Garth stuff. Tell me thats not popularity!! Also I would say most country stations are now playing the song to some degree, so if it was by request only then they must have wanted the song or had requests to get the song for them to do so. Well thats my 2 cents worth. I for one am not discouraged about Garth and I expect he will definitely have more top 10 and #1 hits in the future if he doesnt retire. I also expect if he goes out for a final tour it will sell out like before, because everyone knows the kind of entertainer Garth is if they have ever been to his concerts and if its the last time they get to see him Im sure people will want to go!!N

Pilgrim
07-01-2000, 04:12 PM
I agree and disagree with some of you:)
<br>
<br>BrianN

gbking
07-01-2000, 09:25 PM
I agree with what you say Tommy.
<br>I wasn't talking about the radio stations or the sales, I was talking about the attitude of the fans. The JMM, Tim McGraw, and Garth have all been around for awhile and when they were a craze, they sold more.
<br>Plus, I was comparing Garth with other pop artists. I don't think you can include country artists with what I was trying to say. Besides, I'm extremely angry with country music right now, it's the biggest sell-out industry I've ever seen.
<br>
<br>DerekN

gbking
07-01-2000, 09:26 PM
I have 40 total posts, why am I sill a junior member?
<br>
<br>DerekN

Pilgrim
07-02-2000, 02:20 AM
Derek
<br>
<br>I think you are a Jr member until your post #100:)
<br>
<br>Then member from 100 until #1000:)
<br>
<br>Hope this helps:)
<br>
<br>BrianN