PDA

View Full Version : Article about Bowl

Jen19
06-25-2000, 08:18 PM
Williams, Brooks feted at Hollywood Bowl
<br>Hollywood Bowl Gala (Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles; 17,900 seats; top ticket $75)
<br>
<br>By Alan Rich
<br>
<br>HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - For Hollywood's much-loved, much-visited Bowl, ``opening night'' has always been an elusive concept.
<br>
<br>For the classical-minded, opening night is the first Los Angeles Philharmonic concert, scheduled this year for July 11. That event, however, is usually preceded by a full slate: ``family'' concerts, fireworks concerts, serious programs by visiting orchestras, even a full-length opera (``Madama Butterfly'' on July 9).
<br>
<br>
<br>To that list, this year's playbill added an opening night gala to inaugurate the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame and honor its first two inductees, filmdom's man-of-all-music John Williams and country-music original Garth Brooks. Despite typical ``June gloom'' leaden skies, the stars were there nonetheless and a near-capacity crowd rejoiced audibly in their presence.
<br>
<br>One of the evening's multitude of speechmakers likened the new Hall of Fame to baseball's establishment, which is an actual building in Cooperstown, N.Y. That may be a tad premature; fame in Hollywood is often insubstantial and so, so far, is the ``hall.'' The contributions of these first two inductees, however, are solid, proclaimed by a long star-studded list on hand.
<br>
<br>Steven Spielberg, at least for the moment, claimed to owe everything in his films to John Williams' music; a harrowing shot from his ``Jaws'' and a deliciously weepy bit from ``E.T.,'' projected on the Bowl's big screen with the insidiously involving music delivered live by John Mauceri's Hollywood Bowl Orchestra underneath, suggested proof.
<br>
<br>Tribute to the nonpareil Brooks came eloquently from Whoopi Goldberg and Glen Campbell (who returns to the Bowl for next week's ``Fourth of July Spectacular''). Brooks himself, meanwhile, staked out possession of the Bowl and several surrounding counties with a spellbinding rendition of a clutch of his standards.
<br>
<br>Also involved in the evening's grab-bag: the ``Sweet Strings'' assemblage of moppets sawing through a kiddie tune on cut-down violins, beneficiaries of a South Central educational program; superstar operatic baritone Rodney Gilfry in a virtuoso exercise; eccentric magicians Penn & Teller in a number compromised when an overly enthusiastic stage stooge tore the sleeve off Penn's straitjacket, but antic nonetheless; a raucous fanfare to something-or-other, delivered by the USC Marching Band in full uniform; and, at the end, the inevitable but cherishable burst of Bowl fireworks.
<br>
<br>They may still be cheering.
<br>
<br>The Los Angeles Philharmonic Assn. presents a one-time Hollywood Bowl ``Opening Night Gala,'' with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra conducted by John Mauceri. ''Hall of Fame'' honorees: John Williams, Garth Brooks. Guest appearances: Richard Dreyfuss, Rodney Gilfry, Whoopi Goldberg, Jeff Goldblum, Penn & Teller, Gil Shaham, Steven Spielberg, Nancy Wilson, Christina Aguilera, Glen Campbell, David L. Wolper, the USC Trojan Marching Band, Sweet Strings. Reviewed June 23, 2000
<br>N

nelty
06-25-2000, 08:22 PM
Cool thanks for sharing. :). :cool:
<br>
<br>NellyN

honky
06-25-2000, 08:37 PM
VERY NICE :)
<br>
<br>Thanks!
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

countyfair_85
06-26-2000, 02:23 AM
Jen...
<br>Thanks for taking the time to post that! :)
<br>
<br>-DianeN

Garth_FANtasizer
06-26-2000, 03:59 AM
Thanks, Jen!
<br>
<br>Here is another article:
<br>
<br>HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, Luke and Leia joined the rebellion in order to help bring down the evil ways of the Dark Side.
<br>
<br>Friday night at the Hollywood Bowl, composer John Williams, the man responsible for the scores of more than 80 films, including the ``Star Wars'' overture -- along with country crooner Garth Brooks -- was inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame during its first ever awards ceremony.
<br>
<br>``It磗 a terrific honor and a great privilege and I磎 very proud about it,创 said Williams, who, after accepting his award, took the baton from L.A. Philharmonic conductor John Mauceri and led the orchestra in a rendition of the ``Star Wars创 theme.
<br>Steven Spielberg along with Richard Dreyfuss, Jeff Goldblum, Penn & Teller and Charlize Theron were on hand to help honor the two inductees.
<br>
<br>``I kind of wish I could do this every night for John. If I could be John磗 personal toastmaster, I would,创 said Spielberg, who confessed that the scores for ``Schindler磗 List创 and ``Hook创 tie as his favorite Williams pieces.
<br>
<br>``He磗 a big reason why a lot of these movies will be remembered and watched and listened to 100 years from now,创 added Dreyfuss, further commenting that he particularly enjoys the Williams scores of his movies.
<br>
<br>A musical dedication to Brooks was performed by 19-year-old songbird Christina Aguilera. Whoopi Goldberg toasted Brooks by saying, ``anyone who can rock Central Park and then the Czech Republic is a bad Mo-Fo!创
<br>
<br>Brooks accepted his award with an emotionally charged speech commenting on the death of his mother nine months ago, he then wowed gala goers with an enthusiastic three-song set that included ``When You Come Back to Me Again创 from the film ``Frequency.创 Before saying it was the first piece of music he had written in over four years, Brooks thanked God and told the audience, ``It磗 a good day for me.创
<br>
<br>Reuters/Variety
<br>
<br>~Ann~N

jenn_7
06-26-2000, 05:40 AM
WOW, two great articles, thanks! jenn_7N

loreli
06-26-2000, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys those were great!!
<br>
<br>Lori :)N

Garthmedic
06-26-2000, 07:38 AM
That was very sweet. :) Thanks for sharing it with us.
<br>
<br>--spud--N

Pilgrim
06-26-2000, 09:56 AM
Thanks for sharing:)
<br>
<br>Brian:cool:N

honky
06-26-2000, 09:58 AM
Ann,
<br>
<br>WOW! THANKS FOR THE DETAILS :cool:
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

Vanessa
06-26-2000, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing!! :) :cool:
<br>
<br>VanessaN

NJ4GARTH
06-26-2000, 01:42 PM
Jen and Ann,
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing those articles. They were great.
<br>
<br>TomN

JulieLvsGB
06-26-2000, 01:52 PM
Thanks to both of you for sharing!
<br>
<br>JulieN

Paula
06-26-2000, 02:34 PM
This was at countrystars.com and repeats a lot of what we've already heard but adds a few different things:
GARTH BROOKS HONORED AT HOLLYWOOD BOWL
<br>This year the world famous Hollywood Bowl created its Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame and Friday evening (6/23) the first two inductees are movie composer giant, John Williams (Jaws, Star Wars, E.T., Raiders of Lost Ark, etc.) and Garth Brooks. And this is a very big deal for COUNTRY MUSIC. Because, of all the icons of popular music who have graced that stage in the last 78 years, including Sinatra, Pavarotti, Barbra Striesand, Nat King Cole, The Beatles, Al Jolson, Judy Garland and so on, the first singer to be immortalized in the Hollywood Hall of Fame is Garth Brooks.
<br>
<br>DETAILS
<br>Brooks was deeply touched by the honor and said, "I really needed this day." Brooks explained that his brother and father were in the audience. And that earlier in the day he had spent the morning "Talking with God." He explained that he had spent the last year mourning the death of his mother. And, he came away from his prayers that morning saying, "This is the last day I'll talk about my mom's death and the first day of talking about her life." GLENN CAMPBELL came out as a surprise guest to pay tribute to Brooks. He sang a wonderful version of "The Dance." Garth friend, WHOOPIE GOLDBERG, came on to introduce Garth. She cited his 100 million albums sold and the great concert in Central Park, then put his career in perfect perspective. "He took one form of music and made it universal." She summed up in her own inimitable way, "Anybody that could rock Central Park and then go and rock the Czech Republic, that's a bad mo fo!"
<br>
<br>Brooks performed "When You Come Back to Me Again" and "We Shall Be Free." Then the crowd demanded "Friends in Low Places," the country anti-culture statement aimed at the black-tie types that created the Hollywood Bowl for the LA Philharmonic Orchestra. As he prepared to sing Brooks said, "Well here's another fine, respectable evening about to go to hell!" The crowd loved it, the orchestra bass-violinists were twirling their instruments and the bowl crowd sang the "You can kiss my ass" third verse as loud as any Brooks concert crowd in Texas.
<br>
<br>PaulaN

Pilgrim
06-26-2000, 02:52 PM
Paula:)
<br>
<br>Thanks for the article:)
<br>
<br>Brian:cool:N

Garthfever4ever
06-26-2000, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the sharing the articles!!