PDA

View Full Version : Back From The Bowl

garthragious
06-24-2000, 01:01 AM
My family and I just got back from the Hollywood Bowl, and what a night that was. So full of class. My husband is a big fan of John Williams, so he was happy, but not as happy as me!
<br>
<br>Garth came out in a black tux but was wearing his hat, and was looking as cute as ever.
<br>
<br>But what was most touching was his announcement: he said that (I'm paraphrasing as close as I can) he had talked today with someone whom he hadn't talked to in a long time, ever since his mother died. And that was God. He also said that "starting today, instead of talking about my mother's death, I'm gonig to start talking about her life."
<br>
<br>I think that that award that he recieved meant more to him than most, all he did was place his hand on it and say "I really needed this".
<br>
<br>We were treated to three Garth songs and sort of tortured by one. Glen Campbell came out and struggled through "The Dance". If it wasn't for the great musicianship of the L.A. Philharmonic working around his mistakes, it could have been worse. My hat's off to the orchestra!
<br>
<br>Then Garth came out, and after his speech and recieving his award, he sang "When You Come Back To Me Again". Then "Friends in Low Places". It was funny when the house camera zoomed into the orchestra and showed a classical bass player and a violinist singing along! Then he sang "We Shall Be Free".
<br>
<br>Anyway, we tried to hang out after the show for a glimpse of Garth, but no luck. But I'm still feelin' fine!
<br>
<br>JosieN

NJ4GARTH
06-24-2000, 01:10 AM
Good Morning Josie,
<br>
<br>And thanks for the update on the Hollywood Bowl.
<br>
<br>Glen campbell is an OK singer but killing a Garth song isn't funny.
<br>
<br>TomN

Garth_FANtasizer
06-24-2000, 01:21 AM
Thanks, Josie!
<br>
<br>Glenn Campbell? Why him?
<br>
<br>Who else was there?
<br>Was Whoopi funny?
<br>How many people were there?
<br>
<br>Lucky you! You got to see Garth sing "WYCBTMA" live!
<br>
<br>~Ann~N

garthragious
06-24-2000, 01:31 AM
Hi Tom!
<br>
<br>I don't think Glen Campbell was trying to be funny. He had a hard time trying to find where to come in, the orchestra had to keep on replaying the introduction maybe 4 or 5 times, and he muttered an apology and said "I just learned this song yesterday". I think he just was kind of off, didn't mean to be rude. But he did end the song with a nice guitar riff.N

garthragious
06-24-2000, 01:42 AM
Hi Ann!
<br>
<br>Why Glen Campbell? I don't know, he came in as a "surprise guest". He'll be in concert at the Bowl within a couple of weeks, so I guess he was convenient. Also, he was introduced as a "friend" of Garth.
<br>
<br>Some of the people that showed up to the event were:
<br>
<br>Richard Dreyfuss, Rodney Gilfry, Jeff Goldblum, Penn & Teller, Gil Shaham, Steven Spielberg, Nancy Wilson. There were more, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
<br>
<br>As far as attendance, the Bowl holds a little over 18,000, and it looked to be 90% full.
<br>
<br>It was special to hear him sing "WYCBTMA". He sang it just after he got done talking about his mom, so I know he had her in mind.
<br>
<br>Josie
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>N

garthragious
06-24-2000, 01:47 AM
Oops! Oh yeah, Ann. Whoopi was very funny. She mentioned about music being so segregated, and that Garth was able to bring country music to the whole world, and was able to make it "our" music. Then she said we could all go home and call Rap "our music".
<br>
<br>JosieN

garthragious
06-24-2000, 01:57 AM
Oh yeah, how could I forget? Christina Aguilar sang a number too.
<br>
<br>JosieN

Pilgrim
06-24-2000, 04:26 AM
WOW!! Thanks for the info:):)
<br>
<br>BrianN

fuzzwuzz
06-24-2000, 04:43 AM
Wow! So Garth admits in front of all those people that he talks to God. And now we hear of it too. I'm glad he is coming to grips with his Mom's death too. I have heard she was his strength. Now that he is refocusing on her life,rather than her death, he might bounce back soon. N

Teach
06-24-2000, 05:12 AM
Thank you, Josie, for all the details. I was waiting for someone to come here and tell us how it went. I know it had to be great to hear GB sing WYCBTMA. I love that song. Anyway, thanks again! :cool:N

garthsgirl
06-24-2000, 05:18 AM
thank you for the update for those of us that could not be there. It must have been a very touching moment when Garth talked about his mother. LisaN

Hawk7lte
06-24-2000, 05:39 AM
A celebration of his mom's life. That sounds wonderful - so much to celebrate. What a zest for life she always had.
<br>
<br>WYCBTMA live - that must have been a real treat.
<br>
<br>And in a tux no less - again - he hates that.
<br>
<br>Some of my favorite people there too. With the support of the people that were there, Garth will be able to handle Hollywood's strings without getting tangled up in some of its craziness.
<br>
<br>Congratulations on the award Garth.
<br>
<br>HawkN

garthaddict
06-24-2000, 06:05 AM
Congratulations Garth!! If I had been there I would have been crying my eyes out for him when he talked about his Mom.That is "very cool" that he talked about God and his Mom in front of those people.I agree with everyone else.Now that he is going to talk about her life instead of her death maybe he can start to be truly happy again.We miss the old Garth.Please come back to us.My thoughts are with you Garth.N

everynowandthen
06-24-2000, 08:10 AM
Josie,
<br>
<br>You can never know how much this means to me that you shared this - about Garth talking to God. And especially focusing on his mom's life rather than death. I hope you had an incredible time!
<br>
<br>Angela
<br>
<br>P.S. You've got mail!:)N

garthragious
06-24-2000, 08:13 AM
Hi Garthaddict,
<br>
<br>Your comments reminded me of something else that Garth said, and I'm sorry I didn't mention it before, but that's the way the night was-so many things to remember!
<br>
<br>He talked a lot about his dad and his sisters and brothers, and also said that he was "happy, and couldn't wait to go home and start a new life".
<br>
<br>I sure hope that someone else that went to the Hollywood Bowl could add on to this, since I was in such an emotional state; it was my first Garth concert. Too much screaming and crying and being squeezed by my husband.
<br>
<br>Just about everybody else was like me, we were on our feet screaming and clapping, so he came out for a curtain call four times, twice by himself and twice with John Williams. The audience didn't want to go, but I guess that's pretty usual for a Garth crowd, huh?
<br>
<br>JosieN

polly_wants_a_cracker
06-24-2000, 08:59 AM
When Garth says "new life", does he mean a life without him doing music forever?
<br>
<br>On another board somebody also said after he sang a song he said that it felt good and that it is time for him to starting doing what made him feel good again or somehting like that.N

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
06-24-2000, 09:22 AM
What wonderful news! How lucky you were to be there and hear Garth talk about such an intimate and private thing!
<br>
<br>I am overjoyed that Garth has reached the point where he can move on in the grieving process to remember his mother's life and not her passing away. Garth is such an incredible person!
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing your story! I hope that this gives us all a renewed faith that we will see our old Garth back in the swing of things very soon!
<br>
<br>Moni
<br>:cool:N

gbsangel7
06-24-2000, 09:44 AM
Hey when he talked about home and starting a new life? Did he mean in Oklahoma or Tennessee?? Has anyone heard anything else wether Oklahoma is a permament thing or not??
<br>
<br>
<br>AngelN

marla with a b
06-24-2000, 10:34 AM
Thanks for sharing!
<br>
<br>And you got to hear WYCBTMA --- what a great treat!!!
<br>
<br>Isn't he the best??? Glad you had a great time! And I hope he meant that he was back to what he loved....and what his mom loved him to do -- SING!!!
<br>
<br>mw/ab N

smitten
06-24-2000, 11:46 AM
Thanks sooo much for sharing!
<br>
<br>I can't wait to see any pictures you may have.
<br>I am so pleased that Garth is moving through his overwhelming grief to a much more tranquil place.
<br>His creative juices should start to stir now,
<br>
<br>Cheers Ana :)N

Jen19
06-24-2000, 12:12 PM
Wow sounds like you had such a great time..That must have been great for Garth to have a moment like that. I'm glad to hear what he said about his Mom. I think this time off is doing him good..
<br>
<br>and lucky you girl getting to here WYCBTMA Live... that must have been so great. Not that anything Garth does isnt..LOL
<br>
<br>Thanks for sharing your story I hope you got some pics :)
<br>
<br>JENN

Garth_FANtasizer
06-24-2000, 12:23 PM
Ugh... I don't know if I want to kiss the man, or smack him upside the head! :)
<br>
<br>home.... where?
<br>new life... with or w/o us?
<br>doing what makes him feel happy... what would that be?
<br>
<br>Everything he said could be taken two ways.
<br>
<br>... and so the saga continues. Will he or wont he? :eek:
<br>
<br>The great news is that he is happy! I thank God for that. My hope now is that we can be a part of his new life.
<br>
<br>~Ann~
<br>
<br>N

Garthfever4ever
06-24-2000, 12:42 PM
Sounded like an awesome evening!!:)
<br>I'm so glad to hear Garth is getting back
<br>in touch with his faith in God!Hopefully
<br>his happiness well continue to grow....he
<br>definitely deserves it.
<br>
<br>Congratulation Garth!
<br>
<br>sabine :) N

BlueRose
06-24-2000, 02:09 PM
Thanks Josie for posting your story! What an amazing day that must have been! I've read two stories from The Bowl so far and just knowing that Garth is once again talking with God fills my heart with joy!!
<br>
<br>Sounds like he's realizing that Colleen and the girls along with the rest of the family need him to be happy again and thank God he's coming to terms with that!
<br>
<br>Yes Ann, we still don't know what he's going to do or where even, but something tells me it won't be long before we do know. He's on the road to being happy again...seems really obvious from these stories and who knows before long, Sandy just very well may be pushing him back out there to share even more of his talent with the world. :)
<br>
<br>Whoopi must be riding her own cloud also with the way he picked her up off the floor while hugging her. :cool:
<br>
<br>Cheryl
<br>
<br>Oh, btw, if anyone wants to read about the adventures of some other Garthnutts at the reception before the presentation of the awards, check out ChrisGainesFans in the Forums(the Garth Forum)! You'll have to be registered to get into the forums though. I don't know if they'll post the story here or not but just in case....
<br>
<br>
<br><P>(This message has been edited by BlueRose)N

honky
06-24-2000, 03:50 PM
WOW!! WHAT A THRILL TO KNOW THAT GARTH SANG "WHEN YOU COME BACK TO ME AGAIN" LIVE!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
<br>
<br>It is great to hear that people were cheering very hard for Garth!! :) I think Garth needs that the most :)
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

gbthegbfan
06-24-2000, 07:22 PM
WOW!! What a night at the bowl with GB. It's been almost 2 years - since the NBC specials - since i've seen Garth perform live, and there is absolutely nothing like it! I (obviously) love his music and listen to it all the time, but everytime you see him live, it adds a whole nother level of appreciation of him - there is no one close to his level of live entertainer. WYCBTMA was awesome (I won a bet with my mom that he'd sing it...I just knew he would) , the way he did FILP in the supposedly high class place where "no rowdy songs are allowed" was classic Garth and a perfect setting for the song, and nothing sounds better than the way he does WSBF live. His speech was so great too, and Whoopi was soo funny.
<br>
<br>The only problem was the possibly drunk Glen Campbell. We think he should be arrested for murder for the terrible way he butchered "The Dance." I had to hurry and listen to the Garth CD to hear it the right way.
<br>
<br>Finally, I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. I don't know what the other people who went think, but i talked to a local dj today and he agrees ....
<br>I say Garth will tour again in the next few years. You could just tell the way he lights up on stage (almost as much as his fans)and how much it does for him. As he said, he "needed this night." I just don't think he can stay away from performing for very long. And I sure hope he does perform again soon, because it was one of the best nights I've had in a long time....since the last time I saw him!!
<br>Still on a Bowl high,
<br>Another GBN

nelty
06-24-2000, 09:41 PM
Hi,
<br>
<br>I don't know how I would have miss this, this morning. but WOW WOW WOW... and conGarthulations to those people who get to go see Garth.
<br>
<br>And hearing Garth sing When you come back to me again must be something. :-) and thanks for sharing the moment with us. :-)
<br>
<br>to be selfish, with me.... hehe :eek:
<br>
<br>Anyone saw Sandy??? how was she??? I read the whole thread and no one mention Sandy. Was she there? She must look beautiful...
<br>
<br>Nelly
<br>
<br>ps: love Garth in tux..... N

Dawn
06-24-2000, 10:02 PM
Cheryl,
<br>Our story is at Chris Gaines Fans...but you don't have to be a member to check it out...all you have to do is go to the Garth forum and the thread is posted there.
<br>The link will be at the bottom.
<br>
<br>nelty,
<br>NO! Sandy was not there,the only Brooks, besides Garth, that we know of, was Kelly and his dad. (Kelly looked pretty nice too.) He wasn't accompanied by anyone as far as we could see....nor did he mention anyone in his speech, other than his dad,his siblings,and God.(still no wedding ring btw)
<br>Even with this....he looked happier and emotionally healthier than he has in a while. We saw a lot of true and genuine smiles, that were not just "media food smiles". Smiles that lit up his entire face and shone brigthly in his eyes.
<br>
<br>We didn't see any other fans approaching him before the show, and he was not at the pre-show reception. He seemed sort of happy to get a few hugs ( we all know how much he likes to give and get those hugs!) I think he misses us, the fans, almost as much as we've been missing him.
<br>
<br>Mel and I took turns telling the story over at CGF. We had so much fun!
<br>
<br>here's the link:
<br>http://www.chrisgainesfans.com/cgforum/
<br>N

nelty
06-24-2000, 10:14 PM
Hi Dawn,
<br>
<br>thanks. :-) I just finish reading the moments at CG forum. Thanks for a wonderful moment. :cool: like I said. Love Garth in tux. :cool: Saw ya pic too at yahoo.
<br>
<br>I guess Sandy must be looking after the Girls. :) The Girls must be out for the summer by now. :cool:
<br>
<br>NellyN

honky
06-25-2000, 02:18 AM
Dawn,
<br>
<br>WOW! Thanks for sharing your GB Moment! Very well described :) It's great to hear that Garth got 3 standing ovations. Sounds like you guys were really into it! :P
<br>
<br>
<br>And thanks for sharing the pics!
<br>
<br>
<br>TommyN

major tom
06-25-2000, 04:09 AM
Thanks to all for sharing your stories :)
<br>
<br>KirstyN

countyfair_85
06-25-2000, 05:15 AM
Thanks for sharing the story! :)
<br>It was a great read...made me feel like I was there too!
<br>
<br>-Diane N

fuzzwuzz
06-25-2000, 07:37 AM
Ann, you know what I think about Garth's new life and whether we are in it? I don't think he'd have it any other way! Look at his song, "When You Come Back to Me Again." If we feel we are just now getting him back, imagine how he must feel!
<br> And to those being hard on Glen's rendition of Garth's song. Any friend of Garth's is a friend of mine. I LOVE Glen Campbell. His voice may have lost some of it's quality with age, but he is a Believer for sure!N

BluByrd
06-25-2000, 08:09 AM
Fuzz,
<br>
<br>I think we were all just wishing it was Garth singing The Dance instead of Glenn. Glenn said some wonderful things about Garth, and his friendship glowed strong, like a Believers' always does. Someone mentioned that Glenn may have been a little tipsy, and thinking back... it may have been. He goofed on the beginning of the song, but all in all he did GArth justice, even if he didn't do so great on the song. In his defense, the dinner tables were set with 2 bottles of wine, and I'm sure his table was better stocked than ours. And the reception had servers filling your champagne glass at every turn. Of course, the buzz we were feeling had nothing to do with alcohol... ours was Garth-induced.
<br>(and that's a lasting high!!! and calorie-free to boot!)
<br>;)
<br>
<br>
<br>MelN

BigGfan4life
06-25-2000, 01:06 PM
Thanks for sharing your story with us :) Glad to hear you had a good time :)N

BlueRose
06-25-2000, 02:58 PM
Sorry Dawn, guess I was thinking about the Fiction place. See what Garth does to one's brain!!LOL
<br>
<br>GB, glad you got to be there too and thanks for posting about it!! :)
<br>
<br>Cheryl
<br>N

CountryBee
06-25-2000, 05:00 PM
I was also at the Hollywood Bowl on Friday night. Glen Campbell came out as special surprise guest. He tried to sing "The Dance" but did a miserable job of it. He applogized for messing up the intro, saying that he had only learned the song the day before. I think he was also trying to read the teleprompter as he was singing. The orchestra conductor mentioned that the promptors had begun to malfunction at the start of the second half of the show. Glen also had a difficult time trying to read his speech. I don't think that Glen was drunk, he was just trying to be funny about the situation and do the best he could in that circumstance. After he fininshed all the song's verses, Glen played a wonderful guitar arrangement of the instrumental part along with the orchestra. I think Glen would have been better off just playing an instrumental version of the song and should not have tried to sing a song he had never done before. The audience have him a big round of applause for his guitar playing. "The Dance" was not suited to Glen's style of singing and I would have prefered to hear him sing one of his own hit songs. Who ever talked Glen into singing "The Dance" made a very big mistake. I just hope it wasn't Garth who asked him to sing it.
<br>Bee
<br>N

countyfair_85
06-26-2000, 02:57 AM
It must of been such a heart tugging moment to see Garth sing "When You Come Back To Me" at the Bowl...
<br>I saw part of it yesterday on CMT and I cried!
<br>what a beautiful song...
<br>
<br>-DianeN

fuzzwuzz
06-26-2000, 08:34 AM
Bee, I think you are right. Glen Campbell was not drunk, but probably very nervous about singing Garth's song. I'll bet no one thought Garth should be singing it more than Glen! Besides that, Glen is a reformed alcoholic and drug addict.
<br> But seriously, I think when it comes to Garth, we're ALL alittle drunk and tipsy! Ain't nothing better! I'll have whatever Garth's having thankyou!N

everynowandthen
06-27-2000, 06:24 PM
If anyone who was at this event would be willing to share it with me for the Special Events section of the FINP book, please e-mail me at:
<br>Mittsters@aol.com and I will give you more details.
<br>
<br>Thanks for your help!:)
<br>
<br>AngelaN

CountryBee
06-27-2000, 06:52 PM
I just took my roll of pictures from the Hollywood Bowl in to be developed today. If any turn out half-way decent I will share them with everyone. I was using a new camera that I'm still not very familiar with.
<br>Bee
<br>N