PDA

View Full Version : Miles jr made it

ThankGod4Garth
03-15-2000, 04:46 PM
Hey guys-<P>Miles jr made it to Garth. I'm still getting over the shellshock of talking to Garth. He was so incredibly intense. It was like he was trying to remember everything single thing I said. I was *extremely* nervous, but I tried not to show it too much. He practically never blinked and he was *really* focused. He wanted to know why we did this. That one threw me for a loop! He wanted to know my name, if we'd ever met before, when we met and where we met. I wasn't even sure he was talking to me when he said "forgive my ignorance, but why did you do this?" He was signing another persons picture at the time so I thought he had been talking to them, but then he looked up at me very seriously. I almost died right then. He listened to my answers and then thanked me for the bear and something I told him I had given him *years* ago. (it had to do with when he asked if we'd ever met) It was amazing. I'm still in shock.N

Crackers
03-15-2000, 04:50 PM
This all sounds very exciting!!! What was your answer when he asked why we did this? Was he in a happy mood?N

ThankGod4Garth
03-15-2000, 05:10 PM
I told him that we wanted to do something as a group to show him how much we care about him and he said "Oh, I see. That's very nice." I don't know how to describe it. He never smiled. It was all very intense but not like he was angry, just very focused on taking in every bit of information. I'll never forget it. It was almost unsettling. N

honky
03-15-2000, 05:45 PM
ThankGod4Garth[/b],<P><BR>VERY COOL! I am glad that the bear FINALLY reached Garth :) So how many notes are on the bear?<P><BR>Tommy<BR>N

Snow
03-15-2000, 05:51 PM
I was a little disappointed from your description of Garth's reaction at first... and then I started thinking...<P>Whenever I've heard of people talking to Garth about something that has made an impact on him... they use the same word to describe him as you did... 'focused'. I hope this means the same thing for Miles, Jr.!<P>Thank you for doing all this! I still can't believe something I touched is now in Garth's possession. :) I've never had a Garth moment so this may be as close as I'll get.<P>When you get over the shock give us more details! :)<P>Thank you again!!!<BR>-DebN

SeaGBfan
03-15-2000, 05:57 PM
Too cool!! I am proud of all of you!!<P>MaryN

Chris Gaines
03-15-2000, 06:01 PM
Kewl!<P>Jen told me part of it earlier tonight, happy that is finally made it!!<P>Now for the question.......<P>So when do we start "Miles III"? *g*<P>hehe<BR>Jason :)N

Crackers
03-15-2000, 06:45 PM
Do you think he really understood what it was all about? I agree.......it does sound a little unsettling.N

nelty
03-16-2000, 03:05 AM
VERY COOL :)<P>NellyN

BlueRose
03-16-2000, 06:02 AM
Glad you got to give it to him and I'm happy for your moment!! :)<P>Cheryl<BR>N

loreli
03-16-2000, 06:23 AM
That is sooo cool!!<P>I'm sure he will enjoy it! :D<P>LoriN

ThankGod4Garth
03-16-2000, 09:09 AM
Ok. I'm more of myself today. I'll start from the beginning. I was at the gate and most people were yelling for his attention while I was waiting for Garth to get to me. He walked by a few times but i couldn't get his attention. I'm pretty soft spoken though. My dad came over and started yelling "just tell him you want to give him something- that you don't want anything signed!!" Finally Garth looked over at me. I'm sure *everyone* could hear my dad yelling. He (Garth) said to push the album under the fence since it was kind of big and I threw Miles Jr over the fence to him. While I had his attention I started telling him about the bear and what everything was. He listened and then excused himself while he put it by his duffle bag. He asked if the bear had a name and I told him it was Miles. He said "Miles, hmm." and walked back to where I was standing. He started signing other people's stuff. I figured I had told him what it was, he seemed to like it and there were so many people clamouring for his attention that I didn't want to impose and was about to leave when I heard him say: "Pardon my ignorance, why did you do this?" I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or not. He looked up at me expectantly after signing the other guys stuff and asked again "so why do it, the bear thing, why did you do it?" Once I realized he was talking to me, I honsetly could have been knocked over with a feather. I was expecting any question but that one. He wanted to know why?? I figured he was so used to getting things that he would just understand that people love him and want to do nice things for him. I explained that we wanted to give him a single thing that we all contributed to as a group to show him how much we care about him and why the bear really was from all of us because he had stayed with so many people. I couldn't read his face at all. I had know idea what he could possibly be thinking. He was very serious looking. He just knodded and said "I see, that's very nice." Then he wanted to know my name so I told him my name. He repeated it himself like he had the intenion of remembering it in case I saw him another time. He said "have we ever met before?" again not like a simple curious question but very serious as though he needed this information. "I said yes, 7 years ago." He said "where?" again very serious. I said "at a concert" he said "where was that? on stage?" I proceded to tell him how I had given him something while he was on stage when he was in town for a concert and we had shook hands . He still kept staring at me as if he were trying to place the moment. So I told him again where it was and added a description of what he had been wearing. People chuckled at that and so did I because after I said it, I realised that probably wouldn't help, but he *never* cracked a smile even then. I figured maybe he thought the other people were being rude by laughing. After I finished talking, He said thank you for bear and for the gift I had given him all those years ago. I had to think for a minute about why he said thank you for something I hadn't brought. Then it dawned on me what he was talking about. I had been so into just telling the story, that the details of what I had given him at the concert *7 years* ago didn't even cross my mind as something he would be thanking me for now. And I know that I was probably rambling so I was just dumbfounded that he was paying that close attention to the story, to thank me for both things before I left. Even *I* had forgotten what I'd said at that point. I know I'll never forget it. That's for sure :) N

MelMalovesGB4eva
03-16-2000, 09:19 AM
Sounds like an incredibly awesome moment. I'm glad Miles got into his hands. I wish I were in on it. If there is another one, I want in. :) N

Garth Da Man
03-16-2000, 12:35 PM
That was a "very cool" G-moment!!! That is really neat that he was so focused and interested in what you had to say. I can only hope he will be that way when I finally get my G-moment and "bear" hug. I also want in on the next Miles...if there is one!!!!!N

G-f
03-16-2000, 01:22 PM
Wow, wasn't that strange? I would have been happy too, to be able to present it to him. However it seemed like he just didn't get the "jest" of it. All the post we read about him he is very focused but then it dawns on him what it is and he's very greatful and gives you a big hug. With all the questions he kept asking, "if it were me" I would have been getting very nervous..lol :) I don't know, it just don't seem like he understood what was going on with it, like maybe he thought it was for some other reason. Does anyone else feel that way?????? :(<BR>TriciaN

ThankGod4Garth
03-16-2000, 02:18 PM
Well, I did type up a page for the front of the album that explained it so if I didn't make it clear enough, that should help him understand. I think he started to understand better after he asked why it was done because after that is when he went from just talking to more serious in wanting to know my name and if we'd ever met before and all of that. I just wasn't expecting him to be so intense. I'm telling you, that man really *looks* at you when you're talking to him. You know that movie City of Angels and how Seth is really intense and looks in the eyes concentrating on what people are saying and bearly blinks? That's what I was reminded of. Garth's truly one of a kind. I've never had someones complete attention quite like that even for that short a time. <BR>N

Crackers
03-16-2000, 03:22 PM
Garth's a real treasure! Most of the time when you see "stars" signing autographs they're just grabbing the paper, scribbling their name, and shoving it back. They never even bother to look at the person they're signing for. <P>I think Garth will be very pleasantly surprised when he gets home and starts to look through what you gave him. He was probably just extremely interested in finding out exactly what it was that you were giving him. He's probably so use to cookies and candy, etc., that you got his full attention with this one.N

LVGB4EVER
03-16-2000, 05:13 PM
:) Geez that sounds great :)<P>I don't know how I would have taken it since he didn't even smile at you :( I think I would have taken it wrong myself but I haven't had the privlage of meeting DA-MAN yet and I don't know if I ever will but i sure do hope one day I will have my turn :)<P>Did you explain why the Bear was named Miles??? did you tell him it travelled by mail to alot of people?? just curious :)<P>Take Care<BR>Sue ;)N

smitten
03-16-2000, 08:11 PM
Wow! really amazing.<P>Great job everyone, I hope he "gets" the meaning behind it, so he can really appreciate that it comes from the heart.<P>Cheers Ana :)N

PJ
03-17-2000, 06:14 AM
Thanks for letting us know! As one of Miles' first visitors I am glad to see he finally made it home!N

BigGfan4life
03-17-2000, 03:52 PM
Wow....I can't think of anything else to say, really :o It's hard to guess exactly what he was thinking at that moment, but it sounds to me as if he remembered you from the first second he saw you! Well, I'm just so glad he got Miles, and I'm glad so many PGers got a way to show him how much we care :DN

Jen19
03-17-2000, 04:03 PM
Hey guys ThankGod4Garth...I was right next to you when you handed Miles to Garth.. I think I got some great pictures of Miles when I get back home on Sunday I'll be getting them developed and hopefully have them up soon !!! <P>N

Crackers
03-17-2000, 04:26 PM
Okay, Jen, maybe you can give your opinion as to Garth's reaction when he got the stuff. It seems we're all somewhat perplexed about it.N

ThankGod4Garth
03-19-2000, 03:12 AM
Hey Guys, <P>I just wanted to say thanks so much to all the people who helped with Miles Jr :) You guys are great. I know Garth will love all the things you sent for him. :) And thanks for all your support and kind words. :)<P>And I just so you know, Garth was a lot different on Saturday. I decided to go see him on his last day. It's a long way for me, but it was worth it. We had to wait quite a while till he was able to come out and sign because of the great work he does with the Make a Wish kids but when he did come out, he was the Garth I remember. All the rude autograpgh hounds were gone. He was smiling and playing around and joking. I had heard that someone actually hit him with a ball on Thurs. :( I was so happy to see him enjoying himself this time :) He doesn't deserve to be treated so poorly.<P>N

BlueRose
03-19-2000, 06:30 AM
ThankGod4Garth,<P>Glad you got to see Garth one more time and he was in a better frame of mind! Those rude autograph hounds practically ruined it for everyone else down there and we witnessed it first hand. I too get the impression that when Garth repeats something you say to him, it's like he's trying to make sure it gets deposited in his memory bank. :)<P>Cheryl<P><BR>N

Snow
03-19-2000, 09:56 AM
To those of you that went to both spring traing in Arizona last year and to the one in Florida this year... how was it different... or was it?<P>I see many accounts of this year's ST mentioning these autograph hounds and pushy fans. I don't remember that from all the accounts last year. Was it just that it didn't get mentioned or was it really different and why do think that is?N

Crackers
03-19-2000, 10:23 AM
Good question, Snow! It's something I have been wondering about, too. I went to ST last year in Peoria, and I don't remember seeing rude, pushy people. My impression was that it was very calm and peaceful. People were trying to hear everything Garth said. I was only at the game two days, though.......I wasn't as big of a fanatic then as I am now. Actually, I think it was seeing him in person that made me into a "nutt". Anyway, that's the way I remember it.N

sandytoo
03-22-2000, 03:18 PM
ThankGod4Garth - you were back on Saturday night, the 19th ? I was there too until midnight when we finally made it to him !! Wish I had known that you were there !!<P>Snow - ST this year was a lot different than it was last year in Peoria. Not near as many people last year (indluding autograph hounds !!). And the Padres organization allowed for more access to the player, etc., before and after games. Last year in Peoria, the fans were allowed to remain in the stadium after the game and Garth would sign autographs, etc., along the right field line. This year in Port St. Lucie, the stadium security ran people out immediately after the game. And the Padres did more practice/moving among practice fields before games than the Mets did, so more time to watch Garth and get autographs before the games last year.N

sandytoo
03-22-2000, 03:20 PM
I should have said Saturday night, the 18th !!N

sandytoo
03-22-2000, 03:21 PM
Whoops, again !! Should have said "including", not "indluding" !!N

Jen19
03-23-2000, 03:39 PM
Hey ThankGod4Garth ,<P><BR>Please Email me ... at Jen19G@aol.com with your email abby I have a picture for you :)<P>JenN