PDA

View Full Version : Dixie chicke goodbye to Earl

littleotgirl
02-25-2000, 04:04 PM
Does anyone know if this will be there next single? I know that there is alot of controversy about the song. However I am not personally offended by it. I do not think the chicks are neccessariyl advocating premediated murder, I think they are basically telling 1 womens story. Let me know what you all think.<P>Bye TriciaN

Cheryl
02-25-2000, 05:21 PM
Yep, it's the new single. I've heard it several times today, and can not get it out of my head! :) I really like it. Yes, it deals with a serious subject. I say good for them! At first I didn't much care for the Dixie Chicks, but when I learned that they refused to change their sound so they could be played on pop radio and video, they gained my respect. They are fresh, new, fun, and true to themselves. LOL, kinda reminds me of somebody else we all know ;) So, yeah, GoodBye Earl is a fun song about a VERY serious subject. It's not the first time, and I hope it wont be the last. Just take a look at a few songs that came before it....<B>The Thunder Rolls</B>, Independence Day, and let's not forget about <B>Papa Loved Mama!</B> I'm sure there are more, but those come to mind right away.<P>I found a few news articles and posted parts of them here.<P>From Countrycool.com:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>"We took a serious subject and did it in a way that makes it a little bit easier to listen to," explains Chick Emily Robison. "Sometimes songs get so serious that they make people very uncomfortable. 'Earl' is meant to be light-hearted and fun, and if in the process it brings a serious subject into the forefront, then that's great. We're not promoting murder, and we even say that in a disclaimer on our album...besides, is there a gentler way to go than with black-eyed peas?"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>From Countrynow.com:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Praises for "Earl"<BR>The National Coalition Against Domestic<BR>Violence is applauding the Dixie Chicks for<BR>"Goodbye Earl," a song about spousal abuse. Chick Emily Robison says the tune is meant to be lighthearted and fun, "and if, in the process, it brings a serious subject into the forefront, then that's great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>From CountryCool.com:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>The Dixie Chicks also walked away with the Best Country Album award for their<BR>quadruple-platinum album,Fly. Natalie Maines graciously accepted the awards and thanked country radio for playing their songs, placing a special emphasis on "country."<BR>Backstage, Maines told reporters that the Dixie Chicks "wave the country music banner,"<BR>and it makes them very proud.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>N

Lowell Miller
02-26-2000, 02:19 AM
I love the song. Thanks Cheryl for all the information. The video is great! Dennis Franz playing Earl! Very cool. I also think one the girls is from Law and Order. I my be wrong about the latter. The chicks are really growing on me. I love the new CD! Anybody remember them saying they dedicated it to O.J.<BR>That's cool.N

Pilgrim
02-26-2000, 03:23 AM
I LOVE the song :) :) :D :D<P><B>Cheryl</B><BR>There is also <B>A Man's Home Is His Castle</B> with Faith Hill :)<BR>I think that's maybe the best of them all :)<P>BrianN

littleotgirl
02-26-2000, 05:13 PM
Cheryl Thanks for all the other information. I agree with all of you i hope that my local stations have the courage to play thesong. I ahve liked the chicks since wide open spaces came out. i do not think goodbye to Earl is any worse than any of the other songs you have mentioned.<BR>N

honky
02-27-2000, 12:17 AM
Personally I am really offended by the song :( I think the song is horrible!! Although the message itself is worth being aware, the way the Chicks present it is just awful!! <P>The Chicks sang like it is fun killing Earl :( And the background harmony doesn't fit to the content of the song. <P>When my station was playing for song for daily challenge, there were quite a few who called and said that the song is horrible an pathetic. I do agree with them!! <P>I think their previous stuff is fine, but this song is really horrible!! <P><BR>I think there is a difference between Garth's and this song. I don't know why would someone compared their material. "Thunder Rolls" has controversial side of it, but really, without the video, the song itself is not that offensive at all. It is the killing scene in the video that made the song controversial. Besides, the content is presented in an appropriate manner, meaning in a serious way. Moreover, in "Papa Loved Mama", the song never did say that someone KILLED someone. Yet it's more controversial than "Thunder Rolls".<P><BR>It's just my opinion about this. I hope I don't get flamed by the Chicks' fans here.<P><BR>I just want to conclude that the message of the song is good, but the way they presented it is offensive to me. Maybe most of you think that it's cool, but to me, it's horrible.<P><BR>TommyN

Pilgrim
02-27-2000, 12:37 AM
<B>Tommy</B><P>To me it's pretty clear that papa crashed his truck into the motel where his wife was having a good time :o :o<P>I don't see any difference between the songs :)<P>I think it is cool when artists make songs like that :D :D<BR>The message is clear and everyone talks about the song :) <BR>That brings the subject to a debate, and maybe some politicians focuss on the problem :)<P>Look at "We Shall Be Free". By all respect, no one care about that song except Garth fans. There have been made other better songs about the same problems.<P>If he had made it more controversial I am sure it would have been well known all over the world :)<P>If he had the guts to say that certain people suck, then everyone would pay attention. :)<P>BrianN

everynowandthen
02-27-2000, 06:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pilgrim:<BR>There is also <B>A Man's Home Is His Castle</B> with Faith Hill :)<BR>I think that's maybe the best of them all :)<P>Brian[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brian,<BR>I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with you! :) I don't think that's ever happened before! :)<P>It is a good song, from a good CD.<P>Angela<P>N

littleotgirl
02-27-2000, 08:51 AM
Hi all<P>Just wanted to say that I hope thid does not turn into a nasty debate.<P>Tommy<BR> I can understand why some would be offended by the song, but sometimes the controversy is what brings serious issues to light. Sometimes you need a song, movie, ect. to over emphasize sometime to provide a needed spark. I differently think the chicks did that.<P>Brain <BR>I agree with you. I only wish we had politicians to do the work. <P>Bye for now<BR>TriciaN

Pilgrim
02-27-2000, 01:14 PM
<B>Angela</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Brian,<BR>I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with you! I don't think that's ever happened before!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Hmm, I can't remember it either :o :o :)<P><B>Tricia</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>I agree with you. I only wish we had politicians to do the work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>BULLS EYE :D :D<P>It should be the politicians and not celebrities :(<P>BrianN

honky
02-27-2000, 03:30 PM
<BR>Nope.. there is still a HUGE DIFFERENCE!! <P>"We Shall Be Free" is talking about freedom. The message is direct and clear. It's just that homsexuality has become a dispute topic which had made the song more controversal than it should be. <P><B>From my point of view</B>, a controversy could be brought in a more serious manner, especially the message in "Goodbye Earl". However, the song itself has a fun beat to it, not to mention how Natalie sang it (those really high screams are horrible!) I am not saying that Natalie can't sing, but "Goodbye Earl" is just not their better material. If the Chicks really want to talk about this issue, why not singing in a way that everyone is willing to listen or at least paying attention to the issue. When I heard the song, the Chicks sounded like they had fun and I don't think the message is coverted.<P><BR>Again, I am not the Chicks' fan, but I do think they have some good songs such as "There is your trouble" and "Wide open spaces". "Goodbye Earl" is just not my type of material.<P>N

loreli
02-27-2000, 03:55 PM
I agree with Tommy, this is not a very good song. <P>I totally agree with getting the message out about spousal abuse, but this song goes too far. They really got off on killing Earl, a liitle too much I'd say.<P>LoriN

Lowell Miller
02-27-2000, 04:12 PM
Think of it like a movie. The bad guy always gets it in the end. I just hope some nut doesn't kill her abusive husband and blame the song. Some say they are offended by it and then pop in an R rated action movie where everybody gets blasted. Tommy I'm not saying you. :)N

Cheryl
02-27-2000, 06:15 PM
I'm really enjoying reading the different reactions to this song! And it's cool that we can talk about it without getting defensive! :)<P>I just want to clarify something I said before, about The Thunder Rolls, Independence Day, and Papa Loved Mama.....I never meant to imply that Earl was the same as Thunder Rolls or Independence Day, just that they all deel with the same subject. And yes, while Thunder and Independence Day are done in a serious manner, or a more "appropriate" sytle, the end result is the same. I was only trying to make a point that Earl is not the first song to come along and bring up these issues. But, I will absolutely stand by my opinion that Papa Loved Mama and Earl are very much the same in style and end result. I've never heard A Man's Home is His Castle, so I cant comment on that one.<P>The radio station I listen too also took opinion calls on the song.....the calls that they played on the air were all, oddly enough, from men. And each and every one of the callers said the same thing in that they did not like the song, it was inappropriate, etc. I dont know if they only got calls from guys, only wanted to play the "hate it" calls, or what.<P>I think there will be no middle ground with this song. People are either gonna love it or hate it. BTW, I dont think that the point of the song is killing Earl, I think that the point it is trying to make is that restraining orders are a joke. Domestic violence isn't going to stop because of a piece of paper. Perhaps the point of the song is that the violence shouldn't be allowed to escalate to such levels. <P>OK, here is a question for those who dont like it (or do, for that matter).....and I was wondering this when I was listening to my radio and they played the responses from the men who all hated it. They were all upset over the fact that Wanda and MaryAnn killed Earl (LOL, let's remember that the song is about Wanda, MaryAnn and Earl, NOT the Dixie Chicks! ;)) but none of the callers mentioned the fact that Earl was an abusive husband who disregarded the restraining order and put Wanda in intensive care. They were just outraged that Earl got it in the end, but not one of these callers expressed any outrage about Earl's violence. Any thoughts on that?N

t.m. fan
02-27-2000, 06:57 PM
Cheryl,<P>I have to agree with Tommy, I don't like the song at all, and while I like a few Dixie Chicks songs, I'm not their biggest fan. While I think it is terrible that there are people like Earl, and maybe Earl did have it coming to him, the way it was presented was wrong. I've always believed in the old saying, "2 wrongs don't make a right." There are some things in life that we as individuals need to take care of on our own, but taking the life of another human is not one if them in my opinion. The song is just extremely disturbing, I can't listen to an upbeat song about murder-- it just doesn't work for me! The chanting in the background, the taunting, I just hate the darn song! To take a serious subject seriously, I need it to be presented in a serious manner. I can't take anything in that song seriously. To me, it's all fantasy. The way Earl just disappears, it doesn't work that way in real life. "Independance Day", "Thunder Rolls", they work for me, they're great songs, in my opinion. N

honky
02-27-2000, 07:22 PM
<B>Cheryl</B>,<P>I agree, it's good that we can talk about this song in an appropriate manner ;)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>They were just outraged that Earl got it in the end, but not one of these callers<BR>expressed any outrage about Earl's violence. Any thoughts on that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I don't know what those callers were thinking exactly. The reason I am upset of this song is NOT because Earl died, but because of the WAY they presented the song :( <B>t.m.fan</B> said it right that it's better to deal with serious topic in serious manner.<P><BR>I agree that domestic violence will never stop. <P><BR>Tommy <P>N

Lowell Miller
02-27-2000, 09:47 PM
Tommy, Lori and T.M.<BR>I think it's cool that you guys stick up for what you believe in. <BR>Cheryl I think it's great also that we have our own views and don't get defensive.N

Pilgrim
02-27-2000, 10:06 PM
<B>Tommy</B><P>When I mentioned "We Shall Be Free" I was thinking about other songs on the same subject :)<BR>I was not comparing it with "Goodbye Earl" or "The Thunder Rolls" :)<BR>But, what I meant is that ALOT of other songs about peace and freedom has got more attention than "We Shall Be Free" :)<BR>"We Shall Be Free" is only a "hit" among Garth fans I think.<P><BR><B>Cheryl</B><P>I hope this helps :D :D<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>A Man's Home is his Castle</B> - <I>(Ariel Caten)</I><P>Linda works the diner, pourin' coffee slingin' hash<BR>She said, "I wouldn't have come in today<BR>But I really need the cash<BR>I know I can't fool anyone 'cause dark glasses tell no lies<BR>But make-up won't cover up a blackened eye"<BR>Oh oh oh no<P>You see Jimmy works construction now<BR>But yesterday it rained<BR>So he went down to the liquor store<BR>And by noon he felt no pain<BR>I came in an hour late, then I let supper burn<BR>Well he hit the roof, hit the wall<BR>and then it was my turn<P>He said, "A man's home is his castle<BR>It always has and so it remains"<BR>But he holds the keys in a fist of rage<BR>His home is his castle<BR>And mine is a cage<P>Someone must have heard the noise and they dialed 911<BR>And the cop who showed up at the door asked, <BR>"Is there a problem son?"<BR>Jimmy smiled and said, "No sir, just a little fight that's all<BR>Hey you know how it gets sometimes<BR> when you're laying down the law"<BR>Oh oh oh no<P>So I pulled out my suitcase I started packin' up <BR> my clothes<BR>and Jimmy said, "Now Linda, where do you expect<BR> to go with those?"<BR>I told him, "I have tried, but not an ounze of love survives"<BR>Well he grabbed my wrist and shouted<BR>"You're not leavin' here alive"<P>She said, "I'm savin up my money and when I get<BR> the nerve I'll run<BR>But Jim don't give easily so I intend to buy a gun<BR>He will never she the way he treats me is a crime<BR>Somebody oughta lock him up but I'm the one<BR> who's done the time"<P>He said, "A man's home is his castle<BR>It always has been and so it remains"<BR>But he holds the keys in a fist of rage<BR>His home is his castle<BR>And mine is a cage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brian :)N

Pilgrim
02-27-2000, 10:09 PM
There is a couple of typos in the lyrics, but that's not my fault :)<P>BrianN

Cheryl
02-28-2000, 03:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Somebody oughta lock him up but I'm the one who's done the time"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wow....great line there. Thanks for the lyrics Brian.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>To me, it's all fantasy. The way Earl just disappears, it doesn't work that way in real life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>t.m. fan.....I know we are on opposite sides of the fence, so to speak, but I completely agree with what you said about it being fantasy. It is absolutely fantansy to imply that getting rid of Earl would be so easy, and that there would be no consequences from it. I think that <I>that</I> is exactly the reason that the song does work for me. To me, the song starts off serious, then suddenly turns rather cartoonish, right when the girls decide "that Earl had to die". I havent seen the video, so I have no idea what it shows, but the way I see this song is this: Wanda is in the hospital and they start fantasizing about revenge. I dont see it as realistic at all......its all too easy to be realistic. <P>I just see the humor as a way to get people's attention and hopefully start up some conversation about domestic violence. Which, I think, it has accomplished. <P>So, if nothing else, the song is serving a useful purpose. And for that, I applaud the Dixie Chicks, because I'm sure they knew that this song was gonna get a lot of backlash directed at them. And, on the other hand, the controversy this song is bound to stir up is making them a very hot topic. I admire people who aren't afraid to take some chances! :)<P>There was a quote at CountryNow.com today that seemed to lend itself to this discussion pretty well:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Quote of the day: <BR>"I always look for [songs] that bring out an emotion for me. They have to make you laugh, make you cry, piss you off -- or else it's just fluff." <BR> -- Gary Allan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Anyway, I've babbled long enough. Thanks for all the opposing opinions. It's been awhile since we've had a good topic to debate that hasn't turned nasty! <P><BR>N

loreli
02-28-2000, 05:06 AM
Brian, <P>I'm not sure I have heard that song...wow..very powerful.<P><B>His home is his castle<BR>And mine is a cage</B><P>I think a lot of women feel this way. :(<P>Like TM Fan and Tommy, for me I guess it just seems to make too much light of a really serious subject. I would really hate to see some woman kill a man because of this song.<P>Lori<P>N

Pilgrim
02-28-2000, 10:59 AM
<B>Cheryl - Lori</B><P>She just about kills me everytime she sings that line :o :o :o<P>That give me a HUGE urge to beat up EVERY stupid a**hole like that :o :o :o<P>I simply CAN'T STAND men who behave like that :( :(<P>GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :( :(<P>BrianN

ohiogarthfan
02-29-2000, 11:11 AM
Well I just heard Goodbye Earl for the first time, actually the second but the first time i was half awake and half asleep, didn't really hear it. <BR>The song is just disturbing. I don't particuarly care for it myself. I'm sure the song could have been done better than what it was. <BR>I suppose the song could, and probably will grow on me after I hear a couple of more times. It is funny in a way. <BR>I suppose if I were in the same position I would do the same thing, exept I would use a gun and let the guy watch me kill him. But that's just my opinion. N

Lowell Miller
02-29-2000, 12:30 PM
Dam#, Ohio I don't ever want to make you mad. ;) *LolN

Pilgrim
02-29-2000, 12:42 PM
Lowell<P>I was thinking the same :o :)<P>BrianN

ohiogarthfan
02-29-2000, 01:06 PM
Just to let you know I have a pretty good handle on my temper, it takes alot to make me mad. :) :) And even more to p*** me off. :)<P>Here's one for ya, last year I had my future told, and the person seen me standing on my porch with a gun, getting ready to shoot someone or something. :o Don't know if it'll ever happen though. <P>I just hope that no one jumps on my case for my earlier post :) but if they do, I know they have that right.N

MJ
02-29-2000, 04:18 PM
I thought that the way the video was presented that they lightened up a serious topic and the consequences of it.When I heard they were doing a video I thought of many ways it could be presented and I was suprised that they used humor.They got the big name stars in it too.I liked the song and the video and I'm sure they don't mean thats its funny to kill your spouse..its just done in a way like the Three Stooges.N

littleotgirl
03-02-2000, 01:46 AM
Hi all<P>I am glad that this turned out to be a friendly debate. I just wanted to say that I heard the song yesterday one my local country station. I was impressed they had the courage to play it.<P>Bye for now<BR>Tricia N

honky
03-02-2000, 02:46 PM
Tricia,<P>I don't think it's the station that has the courage to play it. Chicks are hot right now, so no matter what they play, there are going to be fans listening to the song.<P><BR>TommyN

littleotgirl
03-03-2000, 02:35 PM
Tommy<P>I guess you have a point there I do not disagree with you. what I really meant is that i have heard that some stations will not play the song because it is so controversal. I guess I was a liitle surprised when I heard it around here. I live in the Buffalo area and sometimes things take awhile catch one, especailly if ti is controversal.<P>Bye <BR>TriciaN

Hawk7lte
03-12-2000, 06:37 AM
Okay a little bit different way of looking at things;<P>This post has been read 188 times. It has social significance, life saving potential, and is intelligently discussed. And it has been read 188 times.<P>Another post about "thrusts versus swizzles" (or something similar)has been read almost 900 times). Implied fantasy close to object relationships "discussion" or fantasy exhibitionism.<P>Now pictures of Garth have received almost 700 readers/viewers. <P>The point is that it's the way of the world; and perhaps these songs can get the attention, can send the message, and will be remembered long after politicians have taken flight from Washington.<P><BR>Good for the songwriters.<P>Hawk <P>N

Pilgrim
03-12-2000, 07:00 AM
That is a very cool observation Hawk :D :D :D<P>I was thinking the same thing last year with a similar subject :)<P>Very cool :D :) :D<P>Brian :)N