PDA

View Full Version : Opinions...

dreammaster
01-15-2000, 06:40 AM
on Shania Twain. I like her. I'm not going to flame anyone who replies and says they hate her. I'm just after some honest opinions of her and her music. I admit her music is almost more rock than country, but I still like it. I also like her kick ass attitude. Even though she's married, she still dumps on men in her songs. She's helped me get over my hangups on worrying what men think of me. Just dealing with being a woman, in a predominantly male world, is a challenge in itself. <P>Well, that's my opinion. I'm open to all others. :) :)<P>Nikki N

psa
01-15-2000, 06:55 AM
I like shania's music she has this real<BR>kick butt attude about her and I like that.<BR>I have all her cds. :)N

Chris Gaines
01-15-2000, 06:56 AM
I used to like Shania......<P>... until she desided that the same album could sell twice in a row.<P>Here I thought R&B people was the only ones doing that LOL<P>Jason<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Why is a man who invests all your money called a "Broker"?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>N

Pilgrim
01-15-2000, 08:48 AM
I love Shania :D :D<P>her lyrics may not be the best, but there is nothing wrong with the music :D :D :D :D<P><B>Jason</B><BR>I think the album you have over there now, is the same that were released here in Europe "years" ago :)<BR>You know she were popular here before she released a half dance album :)<P>BrianN

Jude
01-16-2000, 12:11 AM
I think Shania is great. Saw her in London awesome show she didn't stop moving. But I don't like the dance mix she's done I think it is a rip off. I liked her before she moved over to rock but I appreciate what she is doing and she is opening up country to more people but I guess we could debate for ever if she is country or rock. I like her so I don't care what label people put on her.N

Lowell Miller
01-16-2000, 10:00 AM
And she's EASSSSSSSY ON THE EYES!!!! ;)N

honky
01-16-2000, 06:56 PM
she just GETS ON MY NERVES <B>REALLY BIG-TIME</B> :(N

loreli
01-17-2000, 07:20 AM
I agree with Jason. I really used to like her, but 2 years for the same album is driving me crazy. Especially "Come On Over".<P>I've heard the songs so many times I won't ever listen to the cd again.<P>LoriN

dreammaster
01-17-2000, 08:34 AM
The song Come On Over is really overplayed on the radio station here, so when ever that song comes on I switch to another station. And when I listen to her cds I skip that song, but all her other songs are great. <P>I think so anyway.<P>NikkiN

dreamer
01-18-2000, 05:52 AM
I like Shania.<BR>I think she's more pop than country, but when I'm in the mood for some easy listening, mindless, foot tapping music, I put on Shania :) Her lyrics aren't deep, but I think she's well aware that it's not her lyrics that are selling her albums, and hey.........the woman knows where her power lies ;) I can respect that!<P>I am sick of listening to the same album, though.<P>LisaN

jaredev
01-18-2000, 08:37 AM
I'm a little bit country, she's a little bit rock `n roll. I've bought both of her U.S. albums. I loved "The Woman In Me" album which was in my opinion 100% country. I give her credit for everything she's received, that album having sold 10X platinum. <P>"Come On Over" was somewhat of a mix. I didn't care so much for "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" and "That Don't Impress Me Much." However I loved the more country sounding "Love Gets Me Every Time," "Don't Be Stupid (You Know I Love You)," and "You've Got A Way." There were obviousely several others somewhere in the middle.<P>I have nothing against artists appealing to other genres. No one will venture to put down a Martina McBride! Just as long as that artist still appeals to me (a country music listener), then I'm happy. I think what she has done for her career and for country music has been phenominal...both in her sales, and in her entertaining.N

wmcinnis
01-18-2000, 05:12 PM
I'm not big on Shania, but being Canadian I'll give her some credit. ;) I'm happy that she's achieved so much but I think she needs to find someone to write her some half decent songs. Maybe she should have a chat with our man Garth......nevermind that might be a little too complex for her :o Sorry about that.<BR>-Susan-N

t.m. fan
01-19-2000, 01:09 AM
Here I go again, I get to say why I don't really like Shania Twain all that much...<P>Same old story, I talk to people who don't listen to country music and they say how they actually like Shania Twain but no one else. It's because she has great looks, catchy tunes, simple lyrics. Sound familiar? Maybe along the lines of Britney Spears, or the Backstreet Boys? To me, like most of these other artists with the exception of a few, her songs lack heart and soul. When I listen to George Strait, Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, or Gary Allan, I hear real music, "strait from the heart". When I listen to Shania, especially with "Come On Over", I hear nice melodies masking a bottom line. It just doesn't move me. What makes it even worse is that it sells like mad! The only thing worse than poor product is poor product that sells. That's why people have love/hate feelings towards Shania and Garth. <P>I don't care about her crossing over, or the way she dresses, music is music, and what she wears is her business. Besides, how could I really complain? It's just her music, I would expect more from someone as talented as she is. N

mlombo
01-19-2000, 09:07 AM
The way I describe how I feel about Shania Twain is that she is the only musician I have ever seen that I love to watch her videos on mute. All people believe that Garth is the greatest marketer of all-time in country. I completely disagree, it is Shania. They have marketed her as a creature of video that has won over guys just on how she looks, and it has works. My cousin has her CD and only knows one song off the whole thing. (Still the one) Secondly, 70% of her songs are written for the "independent" woman, which truly is the french phrase for male-bashing. Women completely feed into any lyrics that involve the art of male-bashing. They can deny it, but it's true, and there is nothing wrong with that. Therefore, they have marketed her to appeal to both sexes. Brilliant! In terms of her music, I think she has written two of the worst songs ever put on the radio airwaves with "Don't be Stupid", and "That don't impress me much". I truly believe the lyrics could have been written by my grade school aged niece. "Who do you think you are? Elvis or Something? Whatever..." That is some solid writing! Her candy pop music doesn't do it for me, but I give her credit, she does appeal to masses. Also, she has made an artform of the squeal and the "woo!" in between verses. There is not a song that goes by where you don't hear some sound affect coming from Shania's mouth. There is no way you can deny the unbelievable success she has had, but her music does lack depth and belongs on 80's pop radio stations next to a Debbie Gibson song or something.N

Garth_FANtasizer
01-19-2000, 03:22 PM
I think Shania can get another year out of "Come On Over" if she releases it as a greatest hits album.<P>She can call it "Come On Over To My Greatest Hits" LOL<P>Sheesh, enough already!<P>As far as her bringing new fans into country...ah, I don't think so! If they want to hear or see Shania, they can put on the pop channels and VH1. She is always on there! No need to look elsewhere.<P>Her vocal range is so limited and her sensual moans and screeches are a cover up for lack of talent.<P>If she didn't have a pretty face and an attractive belly button, she would be lucky to have a record contract. <P>IMHO of course.<BR>~Ann~N

enutts4gb
01-19-2000, 03:33 PM
I have to agree with Ann.<BR>When Shania first came out with her debut album, i kind of liked her music and her image. I love 'What made you say that?'. :) <BR> <BR>Now she's a crossover Spice Girl! Ick! <P>Erin :)N

Sab
01-29-2000, 04:14 PM
I like Shania's music. It's leaning towards popsy but that doesn't bother me b/c I like all types of music :) (except rap.. blah I hate rap w a passion:mad :) It's livelly which is cool :) Get up and dance even if ya can't ;) And my cousin still has my Come On Over CD :( :( :( When am I going to learn not to let people "borrow" from me :(N

MelMalovesGB4eva
01-31-2000, 06:54 AM
I like Shania and her music. I'm in the minority though when I say I think her voice has a country sound to it.N