PDA

View Full Version : Artist Of The Week

Chris Gaines
11-11-1999, 07:19 AM
This week's "Artist Of The Week" has won many awards including:<BR>Top Female Vocalist -Academy of Country Music, 1999 <BR>Video of the Year -Academy of Country Music, 1999 <BR>Single of the Year -Academy of Country Music, 1999 <BR>Vocal Event of the Year -Academy of Country Music, 1999 <BR>Single of the Year -TNN/Music City News, 1999 <BR>Video of the Year -TNN/Music City News, 1999 <BR>Vocal Collaboration of the Year -TNN/Music City News, 1999 <BR>Female Vocalist of the Year -TNN/Music City News, 1999 <BR>Video of the Year -Country Music Association, 1998 <BR>Top Country Video -Academy of Country Music, 1998 <BR>Single of the Year -Academy of Country Music, 1998 <BR>Top Vocal Event -Academy of Country Music, 1998 <BR>Vocal Event -Country Music Association, 1997 <BR>Star of Tomorrow -TNN/Music City News, 1995 <BR>Best Female Country Artist -Performance Magazine, 1994 <BR>Top Female Country Artist -Billboard Magazine, 1994 <BR>Favorite New Female -Academy of Country Music, 1994 <BR>------------------------------------<BR>We are talking none other then: <B>Faith Hill</B>.<P>It has been quite an amazing journey from Star, Mississippi to stardom for Faith Hill--a remarkable ride which began only a few short years ago. From the moment her Warner Bros. Records debut album, Take Me As I Am, hit the streets in the fall of 1993, Faith has quickly ascended from debut artist obscurity to back-to-back multi-platinum success, surpassing two million in sales on each of her two releases (Take Me As I Am and It Matters To Me).<P>In fact, the incredible sales of Take Me As I Am, makes Faith one of only two new country female artists to achieve double-platinum status for a debut release. Breaking records seems to be a part of Faith and Take Me As I Am's storybook beginning: Faith made country music history on January 21, 1994, by being the first female country singer to hold Billboard's #1 position for four consecutive weeks with a debut single ("Wild One") since Connie Smith's "Once A Day" in 1964.<P>Faith was also honored with several top awards in 1994: The Academy of Country Music's Favorite New Female, Billboard magazine's Top Female Country Artist, and Best Female Country Artist in Performance magazine's 1994 year-end Reader's Poll.<P>As if that were not enough, she also found herself receiving nominations for the 1994 and 1995 Country Music Association's prestigious Horizon award, the American Music Award for Favorite New Artist and the 1994 ACM award for Top Female Vocalist.<P>Faith appeared on many national television programs in 1994, including The Late Show with David Letterman, The Tonight Show, The Today Show and Good Morning America. Backed by the National Symphony Orchestra on July 4th, Faith performed on the PBS special, A Capitol Fourth, televised live from the west lawn of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.<P>She extended her winning ways into the following year, by receiving the 1995 TNN/Music City News Star of Tomorrow award. Faith also began a run of special invitation performances, including Carole King's "Where You Lead" for the Tapestry Revisited tribute album and "Since I Laid Eyes On You" for Disney's feature film Mr. Wrong. On the '95 broadcast of the CMA Awards, Faith, joined by Shelby Lynne, performed a rousing rendition of the gospel-inspired "Keep Walkin' On" from her second album, It Matters To Me. USA Today, Entertainment Weekly, People, TV Guide, The Los Angeles Times and USA Weekend have all done features on Faith and her amazing success. In addition, Faith was selected by People magazine to appear in their annual listing of the 50 Most Beautiful People. To Faith, however, her numerous appearances as a guest at country music's legendary Grand Ole Opry (a dream she had longed to fulfill since childhood) have been among the most satisfying honors and invitations she has received.<P>After extensive touring in 1994 and 1995 (over 250 dates in the U.S. and Canada) with Reba McEntire, Brooks & Dunn, Alan Jackson and George Strait, Faith has emerged as one of country's most dynamic live performers. Last year found Faith playing over 140 dates in the U.S. with Tim McGraw, on what was one of the top grossing tours of 1996.<P>Dreams are often shattered when follow-up releases fail to meet expectations raised by debut success. Any notion that Faith might be susceptible to this has been quickly erased by the critical and mass success that It Matters To Me has received since its release in the Fall of 1995. Already certified double-platinum, it surpassed the million mark twice as fast as its predecessor. The title cut spent three weeks at #1 on the charts, making it the best-selling country single for the first six months of 1996. "It Matters To Me" was also Faith's fourth #1 single, an amazing streak which includes six of her seven single releases reaching the Top 5. Her videos also consistently reach the #1 position on both the CMT domestic and international charts.<P>Having spent time in 1994 and 1995 at the podium receiving awards, Faith shared time with Brooks & Dunn as co-hosts of the 31st Annual ACM Awards in Los Angeles last year. In addition, Faith was nominated for three awards on that same night, including: Top Female Vocalist, Single Record Of The Year and Vocal Duet (with Shelby Lynne).<P>On May 1, 1996, Faith, along with Warner Bros. Records and Time Warner, launched the Faith Hill Family Literacy Project, designed to help combat illiteracy worldwide. Faith's concern for family literacy is in large part a result of her family's firsthand experience with literacy issues. Her father, one of fourteen children, never learned to read, after being forced to quit school in order to help support his family. Faith's dream is that "someday every person will be able to read."<P>Faith participated in two album projects for children, which were released in the Fall of 1996: The Best Of Country Sings The Best Of Disney and For Our Children Too, a benefit album of which all net proceeds from the sale of the album will go directly to the Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Faith has participated in events ranging from bowling and softball to benefit St. Jude Children's Hospital and City of Hope. She also lent her voice to the all-star cast of the song, "Hope, " which was released as a single to benefit the T. J. Martell Foundation.<P>Of all the awards, honors and invitations Faith has received since her debut in 1993, one of the most prestigious came when Faith was invited to perform in the closing ceremonies of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games in Atlanta. Her August 4th appearance, along with such artists as Stevie Wonder, Wynton Marsalis, Gloria Estefan, Al Green, B.B. King, Little Richard and The Pointer Sisters, was watched by over 3.5 billion viewers--an audience most performers never accumulate in a career, let alone one performance.<P>In addition to musical success, Faith has also met with personal success. She married her 1996 touring partner, Tim McGraw, and they welcomed their first child, Gracie Katherine, on May 5, 1997.<P>It seems like a lot for such a short period of time. But don't tell Faith that-this storybook beginning is just that-a beginning. The next chapter is already being written ... Stay tuned...<BR>-------------------------------------------<BR>Facts About Faith...<P>FULL NAME:Audrey Faith Perry Hill <BR>DATE OF BIRTH: September 21, 1967, Jackson, MS <BR>HOMETOWN: Star, MS <BR>PARENTS: Ted and Edna Perry <BR>SIBLINGS: Wesley Perry - July 3, 1959, Steve Perry - January 9, 1962 <BR>HUSBAND: Tim McGraw <BR>DATE OF MARRIAGE: October 6, 1996, Rayville, LA <BR>CHILDREN: Gracie Katherine - May 5, 1997, Maggie Elizabeth - August 12, 1998 <BR>HEIGHT: 5' 8" <BR>WEIGHT: 121 lbs. <BR>EYES: Hazel <BR>HAIR: Honey Blond <BR>EDUCATION: McLaurin High School <BR>SPORT: Softball & Water-skiing <BR>HOBBY: Horseback Riding, Going to Movies, Cooking <BR>COLLECTS: Picture Frames <BR>MOST PRIZED POSSESSION: Photo Albums <BR>MOST EXCITING MOMENT: Working with Reba for the first time!! <BR>INSTRUMENTS PLAYED: Piano, Guitar <BR>1ST PUBLIC PERFORMANCE: 7 years old, 1st grade 4H Club, Mother-Daugther luncheon <P>FOOD: Tomato Sandwiches <BR>CANDY: M&M's!!!!!!!!!! <BR>DRINK: Sweet Tea <BR>COLOR: White <BR>MUSIC: All <BR>SONG: Many favorites . . . "Peace In The Valley" <BR>ALBUM: Patsy Cline's Great Hits <BR>SINGER: Reba, Patsy Cline, Whitney Houston, Rod Stewart <BR>MOVIE: The Color Purple, Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind <BR>T.V. SHOW: Little House on the Prairie <BR>ACTOR: Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins <BR>ACTRESS: Jodi Foster, Julia Roberts <BR>BOOK: Bridges of Madison County <BR>VACATION SPOT: Dad and Mom's house <BR>---------------------------------<BR>Albums:<P>Breathe<BR>Released: 1999<P>Faith<BR>Released: 1998<P>It Matters To Me<BR>Released: August 29, 1995<P>Take Me As I Am<BR>Released: October 12, 1993<P>---------------------------------<BR>Faith on Tour:<P>12/31/99 Nashville, TN -Gaylord Entertainment Center<BR>---------------------------------<BR>Faith on the web:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.faithhill.com" TARGET=_blank>www.faithhill.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.faith-hill.com" TARGET=_blank>www.faith-hill.com</A> <BR>and a great PGers Faith site: <A HREF="http://www2.crosswinds.net/~amanda8" TARGET=_blank>http://www2.crosswinds.net/~amanda8</A> <BR>-----------------------------------<P>Hope you enjoyed this weeks.. <BR>Artist Of The Week :)<P>JasonN

gb4ever
11-11-1999, 07:25 AM
Wow Jason, thanks for all the info about her. :)N

Pilgrim
11-11-1999, 11:24 AM
Very impressive Jason :D WOOOOHOOOO :)<P>My favorite with her is "A man's Home Is His Castle" AWESOME song :D :D<P>Thanks for all the info :) :)<P>Brian <B>3000!!!</B> yes, indeed :)N

Johnny
11-13-1999, 04:37 PM
I must say that when I first saw the pictures on the inside of the album I nearly fell out of my chair! Faith looked great! She's definitely the sexiest woman in country music.<P>As far as my favorite Faith song, I've gotta pick: LOVE AIN'T LIKE THAT.N

BigGfan4life
11-14-1999, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the info, Jason. Ever since I heard Wild One, I have loved her voice. She has always seemed so genuine and just a down-home type of person. My favorite Faith song is "I Love You", a song she never released, but she should have! Brian, I also love the song you mentioned. I always end up liking the songs she doesn't release :)N

Pilgrim
11-14-1999, 09:18 AM
Very cool Shannon :D<BR>But I can see that I forgot "Trying To Get To You" :o :o<BR>Sorry Faith :o :o<P>Brian :)N