PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Chesney...here to stay!

thejaymoney
11-07-1999, 07:45 PM
Since Garth seems to think Chris Gaines is a good idea, singers like Kenny Chesney are moving right up trying to take his spot at the top (with George Strait). Kenny's last 2 albums are amazing and his run at #1 with "how forever feels" was very impressive. Look out GB, Kenny is on the rise.N

hugeGBnutt
11-08-1999, 12:22 PM
oh please,thats funny.....<P>aRiN

BigGfan4life
11-08-1999, 02:41 PM
I really like Kenny's music, but I dont think he can be compared to Garth :oN

Anonymous
11-08-1999, 02:42 PM
thejaymoney, I could not agree with you more. With Garth taking a break from country music newer artists such as Kenny Chesney are finally able to make their move to the top of the charts. Kenny is having an amazing ride with his current album and it doesn't look like the ride is going to stop any time soon. His live shows could rival Garth's any day. I love Garth and can't wait to see him in concert again but I'm really glad that Kenny is finally getting the success that he has worked so hard for. He definitly deserves it. When Garth does come back (other than Christmas albums) he will have to fight Kenny for the #1 spot. Remember Kenny did keep George Strait out of #1--that says alot!N

Pilgrim
11-08-1999, 08:40 PM
I totally agree with Shannon, but I don't think it will be a problem for Garth to remove Kenny from the top :D<P>BrianN

t.m. fan
11-09-1999, 10:59 AM
I would have to argue and say that Tim McGraw is the hottest male act right now. I'm talking about career wise, but some of you ladies might feel he's hot in other ways, too :) His new album has consistently been selling above everyone except Shania and the Chicks and no one has had more success on the radio song in, song out over the last 5 years, no one. That came straight from Billboard. After all, he did win Male Vocalist of the year at this year's ACM's, TNN/Music City Awards, and the CMA's. That says something, too! And, he has the best selling catalog right now, even over Garth. So I don't know what else he has to do to prove that he is the hottest male act right now. But I would say that currently, Kenny Chesney is hotter than Garth. If you look at their carreers, Kenny is still a mouse compared to Garth, but Garth's last single didn't do so well on the charts, and Kenny's last 2 singles did go to #1, and his latest is burning up the charts as well. But Kenny still has a long road before he can compare to Garth career wise. I don't think Garth can be the king of the mountain again until he focuses all his attention on country music, which might not be for another couple years. N

Chris Gaines
11-09-1999, 11:51 AM
ya know.. even if Garth is never "King" again..<P>It will take at the very least 5 years for ANYONE to be as big (career wise) as Garth is right now.<P>That goes for Kenny, McGraw, or any other Male COuntry artist.<P>Your opinions may very...<BR>...but this one belongs to:<BR><B><I>Jason</I></B> :)N

t.m. fan
11-09-1999, 12:29 PM
Even Mr. Strait?N

Chris Gaines
11-09-1999, 01:25 PM
t.m. yes even Mr. Strait...<P>let me explain.. Ask Brian how "popular" Mr. Strait is in Denmark.. or for that matter anywhere other then "North America" :)<P>so yes.. even Mr. George Strait.<P>Your opinions may very...<BR>...but this one belongs to:<BR><B><I>Jason</I></B> :)N

loreli
11-09-1999, 02:15 PM
I love the song "How Forever Feels". I like Tim and George too. But NO ONE will be as big as Garth. :PN

Pilgrim
11-09-1999, 07:44 PM
Well, George Strait, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney.... are unfortunately not very popular here :(<P>It's easier to write the ones they DO play every now and then :)<BR>GB <BR>Faith<BR>Shania is played ALOT<BR>The Chicks is played ALOT<BR>Vince Gill<BR>Trisha<BR>Travis Tritt<BR>Marty Stuart<BR>Billy Ray<P>That's some of the artist who are played here in Denmark, but you have to be very lucky to hear them, except with the Chichs and Shania :D<P>BrianN

Chris Gaines
11-09-1999, 08:23 PM
LOL! Thanks Brian :)<P>Point proven :)<P>*runs*<P>JasonN

honky
11-09-1999, 09:25 PM
For some reason, I think <B>Chris Gaines</B> is going to be more popular than <B>Kenny Chesney</B> :) Just a matter of time. Although Kenney has quite few good songs, but they are not nothin' compared to Garth's.<P>TommyN

Pilgrim
11-09-1999, 09:37 PM
I forgot to mention the real stars here in DK :)<BR>Waylon<BR>Kris <BR>Johnny <BR>Kenny<BR>Dolly<BR>Emmylou<BR>etc.etc.<BR>ALL the "Old" stars from the past :)<P>Jason! Who are you running from? :o<P>BrianN

honky
11-09-1999, 10:44 PM
<B>Tim McGraw</B> is good too, but I think he has surpassed his peak. Garth has surpassed too, but at least both artists are WELL KNOWN and VERY POPULAR. <P>TommyN

Anonymous
11-10-1999, 05:46 AM
You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Garth himself was relatively unknown until "No Fences" came out. For some reason that album flew off the shelves.The same<BR>thing can happen again at any time. It could happen for anybody. There are so many talented artists waiting to get some recognition. Wow, where do you start--it could be Dixie Chicks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Collin Raye, Diamond Rio, Lonestar, John Michael Montgomery, newer artists like Andy Griggs, Brad Paisley, Shane Minor, Jason Sellers. Any of these artists could easily come out with an album that EVERYONE had to have. I highly doubt any one knew that "No Fences" was going to be as big as it was. In fact I beleive after all the controversy over "The Thunder Rolls" even Garth thought his career was over. You can never say that "it will take five years" for any artist to get to Garth's level. Granted they are not going to be able to sell 100 million albums in 1 year, but they don't have to to be at Garths level. All they have to do is have one BIG album and a great tour. Sure it will take a while for any artist to have a tour like Garth's last world tour but it doesn't mean that it's not going to happen. When I first replyed I tried to keep it on the topic of Kenny. However, if you asked me to put money down on "who could be the next Garth" if you believe such a thing is possible I would have to go with the Dixie Chicks. Their debut album already sold 8 million and their sophomore effort is doing just as well. Like Garth they are country but pop fans like them as well. That's what it takes to be big. But trust me whomever has that really big album will be heard all over the world in a matter of weeks. So regardless of who they play in Europe now it could be anyone in a year or two. <BR>I have a question for you Brian--When did they start playing Garth on the radio over there? I'm willing to bet it was after "No Fences". N

Chris Gaines
11-10-1999, 06:19 AM
Anon... but your forgetting one thing..<P>we was talking about male artists.. so the Chicks don't qualify :)<P>JasonN

Pilgrim
11-10-1999, 11:05 AM
Anonymous!<BR>How did you know that?? :o<P>It was after No Fences, but I have to say that Billy Ray Cyrus opened the door for him with Achy Breaky Heart :)<BR>It was a MAJOR hit here :D<P>Since that song we have been listening to more and more country music :)<P>BrianN

t.m. fan
11-10-1999, 11:13 AM
Chris Gaines,<P>Personally, I've never put too much stock into international sales and popularity. Why they play Faith, Garth, Shania, etc. overseas and not Tim isn't the fault of Tim or his music. Perhaps the former mentioned have music that would be considered here in America as "crossover" music. Many traditionalists as a result dislike these crossover artists such as Garth, Shania, Dixie Chicks, etc. But if people overseas don't like Tim McGraw, it's probably because they haven't heard a whole lot of him. But people in the U.S. have, and I personally don't know anyone who doesn't like any Tim McGraw songs. But it's impossible for me to know how popular each artist is in the 194 countries, so I just focus on the U.S. Personally, I don't think there will be "another Garth". He is a very unique individual with unique songs and concert performances. He has wrote his page in the history books of country music, and music in general and won't soon be forgotten. Country music traditionally hasn't been about flare or vogue, it's been about truth, and having messages people can relate to. Some of the most popular artists today might not be around too much longer since they have become so trendy. When I see artists like George Strait, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, even Kenny Chesney, artists who make music that they love and believe in, not necassarily what they think will sell 10 million records, those are the artists that will leave deep roots in country music and whose songs will be revered 50 years from now. I hardly think songs like "That Don't Impress Me Much" will still be popular 50 years from now when Brad Pitt isn't so handsome anymore.<P>P.S. to Honky, what makes you say that Tim McGraw has already peaked? It's WAY too early to make such statements when he is coming off his first ever CMA male vocalist of the year award and his second straight Album of the Year. And if you've heard his new album, you'd know that he still has several huge hits left. N

honky
11-10-1999, 12:24 PM
<B>t.m.fan</B>,<P>Well, I said that is because he is selling lesser than his previous ones. When I said "peak" it doesn't mean his stuff is not good or whatever that was fausely implied. <P>Take a look at George. He had won 3 Male Vocalist of the Year before Tim won this year. But do you think George hasn't reached his peak yet? Oh yeah, I would say he has passed his peak long time ago. <P>Everyone has a different level of <I>peak</I>. Tim just seems to have a higher peak than some other artists. He is still making big impact to country music, and he is known by millions. But again, it's very hard for Tim to sell another 6 millions like his previous one. It's great to see him with Faith because they, together, might be able to create another peak ;) It's the "TIME" that counts.. so if Tim is able to stay in this industry like Geroge for more than 15 years, then this is better than "at the peak of his career" for just a couple years. It's like one-hit wonders..LOL Those people have one or 2 huge hits, but they can't stay in the industry for long. Those people also passed their peak, but it's a shorter scale compared to Tim's. <P>TommyN

t.m. fan
11-10-1999, 01:30 PM
Honky,<P>You are correct in that so far, Tim has sold less and less albums with each successive album. But who hasn't? Look at Garth, his first sold 9 million, then 16, 14, 8, 8, 6, 6. Look at Brooks & Dunn their first sold 5, then 4, 3, 2, 1. I think their's just a general decline in country sales overall. But Tim McGraw's new album debuted at #1 on the pop charts! Garth Brooks is the only other male country act to do this. Tim hadn't done it before. Also, his album has only been out 6 months and it has already sold 2 million in the U.S. and there have only been 2 singles released so far! He's got at least 4 or 5 more to go. And many people wait until an album has 3 or more songs they really like before they buy an album. I know I do. And, he has 2 absolutely fabulous songs called "Somebody Must Be Prayin' For Me" and "Carry On" that are sure to grab a lot of people's attention. So like I said, give him another year or so and then we'll see. Besides, "Everywhere" sold 3 million, "All I Want" sold 3 million, and "Not A Moment Too Soon" has sold 5 million. I think the last one sold so many because of the song "Don't Take The Girl". Besides, I don't see too many other male country acts outselling Tim McGraw. Maybe for a couple weeks, but Tim's album is still going stronger over the long haul and it isn't too far behind his other albums. I think it's just more of a decline in country overall, not necassarily in Tim McGraw albums in proportion to other male acts. N

honky
11-10-1999, 03:37 PM
<B>t.m.fan</B>,<P>Interestingly, the country selling was strongest LAST YEAR :o With Garth's, LeAnn Rimes, Shania Twain, country has sold 12% compared to overall selling in the States :D But again, country in gerneral has GONE DOWN :( Stars selling for Reba, Alan Jackson, George, and Brooks&Dunns all dropped. I think Tim is the only one who is keeping up the pace. I guess you're right, the album has only been released for 6 months, maybe there is a great potential later. <P>Garth's selling has gone too, but considering the fact that he has been out for more than 10 years now, so it's no surprise that the selling is relatively low compared to his previous mega success. But hey, if Garth could stick to 2~3 millions for the next 10 years, HE WILL BE THE KING OF ALL MUSIC GENRE!! :D <P>TommyN

hugeGBnutt
11-10-1999, 08:22 PM
i know i may be a little bias but i don't think you can compare <B>ANY country singer to Garth</B> i've noticed that with critics too, in the early days Garth was compared to other country people but now they only compare him to pop or rock artists..... example, i really don't think any country artists could have took the top spot for "Super Tuesday" other then the G-man! and if you notice like on a big release day they talk about all the "big" releases but if a country artist releases a record on that day you will only hear that it was released by country radio or the country industry, except for Garth seeing how he had the highest profile cd.<P>aRiN

jwade
11-11-1999, 02:32 AM
I have to agree with tm fan that Tim McGraw is the hottest male artist right now. It took me a long time to warm up to him, but his new CD is really awesome & I heard that he was the best thing going at the George Strait concert in San Antonio.<BR>I love Kenny Chesney's music, but I'm truly sorry. There is no way he compares to Garth. Kenny will have succeed in his own right, but it would take a lot more to knock Garth out of the top spot. When he was in Austin last week doing Austin City Limits there was a spot on the news & Garth was called on the of the greatest artists in America...not even specifiying country. I think that says it all.N

Anonymous
11-11-1999, 12:48 PM
I thought I'd add one more tidbit to this discussion. It has nothing to do with sales or what the media says about the artist. In an interview Playboy magazine George Jones was asked who the two best current country singers were. His answer: Alan Jackson and Kenny Chesney. That says it all right there. No mention of Garth, or Tim McGraw. You've got to give him some credit for that. <BR>Also, you guys seem to have some really strong opinions about Kenny and his music, out of curiosity how many of you have one of his CDs? You will see that many of the album cuts are better than the radio releases. Problem is is that they are "too country" to be played on radio. <BR>For the record I have all of Garth's CDs and all of Tim's (except for Welcome to the Club). I think they are all great, but I think that Kenny will have more staying power than Tim. Kenny is taking his time to the top but he will get there someday. It's just a matter of time.<BR>N

hugeGBnutt
11-11-1999, 02:26 PM
no mention of Garth because he does not like Garth<P>aRiN

t.m. fan
11-14-1999, 12:35 PM
Anonymous,<P>I have Kenny's "I Will Stand", my brother has his "Everywhere We Go", and I have heard one of his other one's, the one with "The Tin Man" I think. I Don't really care for his new one, or "The Tin Man" cd, but I really like "I Will Stand". I love the accoustic version of "When I Close My Eyes". Whether or not Tim will still be popular ten years from now remains to be seen, but whether he is or not, he has already left his mark, too. He has a great personality and a great music sense, so if he isn't around, it will probably be by choice, to pursue other endeavors. But songs like "Don't Take The Girl", "It's Your Love", "I Like It, I Love It", "Somebody Must Be Praying For Me", "Where The Green Grass Grows", etc. etc. etc. will never go away. Those songs will become classics someday, just like "Friends In Low Places", "The Dance", "Unanswered Prayers", and just like most of George Strait's songs. 20 years from now, it won't be a competition anymore, we'll all just look back and relive the great music that all of these artists are making. N

Anonymous
11-15-1999, 06:33 AM
t.m. fan, You know for a fact that "I Like, I Love it" will be a classic? I like Tim McGraw, don't get me wrong but I think this song dates itself easily. That's like saying that "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" will be a classic song--it's great right now but it's the most "pop-country" song that Kenny has and pop country usually doesn't have a long staying power. I don't doubt that "Don't Take the Girl" will always be around. I also don't doubt that "That's Why I'm Here" will be a classic. As well as many other Kenny songs like "Me & You" and "When I close My Eyes". Tim is cool but I think he tries to hard to pick out catchy tunes. Every song on A Place in The Sun reminds me of a song on Everywhere. I really think we've heard enough "safe" songs from Tim. I really wish he would take a chance and release a song like "Carry on" that might not be big on radio. I don't think he would though, it means more to him to be #1. So I guess we'll have to keep listening to "something like that", "where the green grass grows" and all those other ditty songs and combine them with the sappy love songs until we realize that we're bored with him. Just my opinion, but I do think that a good artist should have variety in his/her music. A radio friendly artist is not necessarily a great artist. Even Garth has had trouble getting songs played--he always pushes the envelope. I can't say the same for Tim. Just my opinion.N

t.m. fan
11-15-1999, 11:30 AM
Anonymous,<P>You are absolutely correct in saying that a radio friendly arist doesn't necassarily make a great artist, but I don't know of two bigger radio friendly artists than Garth and Shania. "Carry On" happens to be one of Tim's favorite songs and I'm sure they'll release it, or at least they better! And Tim didn't even plan on releasing "Something Like That" which I happen to think is in incredible song for several reasons besides the catchy melody which I won't go into right now, but radio stations played the song so much that it broke the top 30 without even being released by the record label! They had no choice but to release it! "Where The Green Grass Grows" in my opinion is just an awesome tune. It was ranked in a Garth-biased chart as the 25th greatest country song all time, the same chart that ranked "Friends In Low Places" #1. And you're right, "I Like It, I Love It" has the same sound as "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy", but I think the lyrics to ILIILI make a little more sense. They can't all be slow, serious songs. I would also argue that "Everywhere" and "A Place In The Sun" sound very different. Many people were initially disappointed with the different sound, because it was just that-- different. Tim's new album is one of the most original sounding country albums I've heard. Only one song could be considered your classic honky-tonk country, and a couple might be considered on the pop side of country, but many fall somewhere else, like the title track, My Next Thirty Years, Senorita Margarita, The Trouble With Never, Eyes Of A Woman, it's all cutting edge, Country 2000. Everywhere has a much more neo-traditional feel to it. And Tim just picks out songs that he likes and what he feels suits his voice. That's all you can really ask. If anyone goes out of their way to record catchy tunes, that would have to be Shania Twain. Tim took a big chance by recording a lot more slow stuff on his new album. The safe bet is having a healthy dose of fast stuff, songs that no matter what, you can tap your toes to, like Shania's newest album. With slow songs, it's hit or miss, either touching or boring. Luckily, just about all of his songs fall on the touching side for me. This is my opinion. N

ddd
06-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Hey keny I "love" Your songs

Garth_BradFan
06-14-2006, 05:25 PM
My goodness me, this is an old thread. I've seen some threads revived before, but this takes the prize! 7 YEARS!

Charles
06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
and 7 years later.....

i prefer kenny to tim mcgraw ......

McGraw is getting too sappy almost....i like his stuff, but he doesn't rock out with a good uptempo country song enough...

Kenny does.....
His cds now are good driving cds.......good roll down the windows and play the music load type stuff.....

Garth_BradFan
06-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Neither Kenny or Tim compare to the talent of Brad Paisley, who was barely known when this thread was around 7 YEARS AGO!

sandis
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Chesney can't top Buffett, or even Bentley for that matter

By Jim Harrington, STAFF WRITER
Inside Bay Area

IT'S TEMPTING to think of Kenny Chesney as the Jimmy Buffett of country.
Chesney spices up his concerts by showing plenty of video footage of fans engaged in activities such as drinking from red plastic cups and playing in the ocean. Buffett does that as well.

The 38-year-old vocalist also likes to show videos of himself, usually set in some tropical location where he can walk barefoot in the sand and enjoy some cold beverages. Buffett works from that same script.

Chesney's current tour is being presented by Cruzan Rum. Buffett's endless road trip has long been financed by Corona beer and Margaritaville tequila.

Most significantly, Chesney is all about selling a very enticing dream one where the keg never runs dry, hangovers never hurt and the workday never begins. Pitching pretty much that exact same dream is what made Buffett a zillionaire.

There are countless other similarities, big and small, between the multiplatinum performers. Yet it's what separates them that's most important.

Buffett has tons of great tunes. Chesney has, well, "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" and not a whole heck of a lot else.

Chesney's weak songbook was a major problem during the singer's concert on Tuesday at the Oakland Arena. He simply doesn't have many memorable numbers, ones that make you want to stand up and holler or that leave you whistling.

It's staggering to think that Chesney has been able to achieve such grand success including being named Entertainer of the Year by the Academy of Country Music in May without the benefit of strong material. It just goes to show how good Chesney has been at selling the dream of an endless honky-tonk beach party.

Since releasing the debut CD "In My Wildest Dreams" in 1993, Chesney has steadily grown in popularity to the point where he is arguably the biggest star in country music today.

He's such a giant, he can play stadiums in some markets which puts him in elite company, next to the Rolling Stones, Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen. Not surprisingly, he was able to pack the Oakland Arena to capacity.

Still, it's important to note that Chesney did have some help. The Oakland gig featured an impressive tripleheader of talent. The bill also included "American Idol" Carrie Underwood and hot newcomer Dierks Bentley.

I was really impressed with Bentley, who took the stage after Underwood performed a short opening set. On first hearing it, I didn't care much for his most-recent album, 2005's "Modern Day Drifter," but his performance made me realize that I owe the record another listen.

Bentley, who possesses a warm tenor voice, did a great job with "Lot of Leavin' Left to Do," "Cab of My Truck" and "My Last Name." His songs mine familiar country territory, including beer ("Domestic, Light and Cold"), trucks ("Cab") and distractions of the female variety ("What Was I Thinkin')," but he does it in very clever and likable ways.

Although his set was half as long as Chesney's, Bentley easily had twice as many memorable songs. His performance was so strong, and he came across as such an absolute natural, it's easy to forecast even greater things for the young singer.

Bentley's country-rock sound is more Bob Seger than Willie Nelson, but he came across like Tennessee Ernie Ford compared to Chesney.

I don't know exactly what to call Chesney's music but it's not country. At least, it's not the type of country that fans of Merle, Willie and Waylon would recognize.

Following an over-the-top video segment, which included a pitch for Chesney delivered by loudmouth basketball analyst Dick Vitale, Chesney opened with a rocking take on "Summertime." He performed that number, which hails from 2005's "The Road and the Radio" CD, on a small stage erected near the back of the arena floor and then hitched a ride on an overhead swing back to join the rest of the band on the main stage.

He then followed with the cutesy, one-dimensional novelty tune "Live Those Songs" and the awkward "Big Star," both from 2002's "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems." This evening's version of "Beer in Mexico" was hardly intoxicating and the strained "Keg in the Closet" provided very little buzz.

Chesney's voice didn't sound all that clear or strong, especially in comparison to Bentley, and his movements on stage seemed forced, even rehearsed. He's not a natural entertainer, although he does work very hard to put on an energetic show.

The main problem, again, was the material. With the notable exception of "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy," which fell during the encore, the songs simply weren't memorable just a batch of mediocre tunes sung by a guy with a mediocre voice.

He does, however, know how to sell the dream. During some of the videos, such as the one where the singer splashed about in blue waters with a group of hula ladies, I did find myself longing for a trip to the tropics.

When I go, however, I'll take along Buffett, not Chesney, for my soundtrack. Why mess with imitation when you can have the real thing?

http://www.insidebayarea.com/bayarealiving/ci_3939697

GBsgirl
06-15-2006, 12:56 PM
When Kenny was announced as the special guestss one of the nights at Fan Fair.......we left as soon as he came on stage LOL I've never put my shoes on so fast LOL I just dont get the attraction. Shrugs.

I like some of his songs just don't think he's sexy or even all that attractive.

Pammy

Garth_BradFan
06-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Kenny's ok, just ok. Nothing special. Certainly not 'Entertainer of the year' material in my eyes. But I guess the numbers don't lie, a ticket for his show is the hottest one in country music right now.

JANETMECK
06-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Actually the hottest ticket of the year is the Tim and Faith Soul2Soul 11 tour.

Not only will it be the biggest and #1 tour in country music this year but also it is in the running for the top tour in music this year.

I saw the opening weekend and it is by the far the greatest concert I've ever seen a MASTERPIECE.

Also it is funny how people said Tim wouldn't be around, it is now over 13 years since his first album and he is still selling, his last album LLYWD is at 4 million.

His 1st Greatest Hit's album is still a top seller and was the top selling country catalog album in 2003 and 2004 and #2 in 2005 and this year will be either the #1 or #2 Country catlaog album. It has been in the top 5 of the POP Catlaog album for months in sales.

It is selling between 9000 and 11,000 a week and if it was able to be on the Billboard Country Album chart would be in the Top 20, selling more than Toby's 11/2 year old GH album.

Tim has a new studio album coming out in November, his movie that he stars in will be out on October 20th.

He has two songs on his new GH that he cowrote including one that will be the official song of his movie.

He is producing Trick Pony's new album and Lori Mckenna's, he has his own imprint that will be officially announced later this year and one of his first's signing will be his 18 year old cousin, Catherine Raney. Tim's fans know all about her, this is a person that has done all the Little Grand Old Opry clubs in Texas the last 4-5 years and has won many awards in Texas. She will have a song in the movie that she does with Tim.

Tim's first GH album that came out in November 2000 and had NO new singles sold 9,107 copies last week, and bounces between that and 11,000 a week. His total SALES on his first GH is 5,153,946.

Kenny's GH album that came out in early 2000 sold 3,177 copies last week, it's average and total SALES 3,441,346

Toby's GH album that came out in November 2004 sold 7,686 copies last week, its average and has sold 3,148,636 copies.

Here's is a shock Toby's HTU album that came out in May 2005 sold 1,578 copies last week its average and has sold 1,536,414 copies so far.

It's funny the ONLY male artist that has sold more in the first week than Tim is Garth. Not Toby, not Kenny.

Tim has sold way more albums than Toby and Kenny and they have had more albums.

So those of you were predicting the downfall of Tim, surprise you are wrong. He has what it takes to be around as long as he wants to, same as George and Alan.

Kenny is boring and gotten old, he sings the same song and theme over and over, how many beach songs and I Go Back to my youth songs can one artsit have.

It is wearing thin too, his sales of his last album is way off the pace of his last two albums.

Also he is NOT selling out every venue this year, one concert listed on Billboard a couple weeks ago showed 11,000 when the capacity was 17,000. That is not the only one either.

Talk about radio friendly songs, that is all Kenny releases. Tim does NOT play it safe and it has cost him #1's.

Drug's or Jesus was not a safe single for radio, When The Stars Go Blue is not a safe song for radio. Heck how many commerical country artist like Kenny would of ever recorded the awesome Kill Myself that Tim did for his LLYWD album.

I Have heard some of the news songs for his new album and they are even more NOT commerical radio friendly and are awesome.

Songs like:
I Need You
Whiskey and You
Louisana (that Tim was a writer on)
Kristoffen(?spelling)
Let's Get Drunk and Fight(funny song about a husband and wife)
Shotgun Rider (a very country song they are doing on tour)
Last Dollar (a awesome song that his girls sing the last chorus on)
Suspicions(remake of a Eddie Rabbit song)

So hope it doesn't ruin your day but Tim isn't going anywhere.

BTW Tim and Faith have TWO shows at the Madison Square Garden Friday and Saturday.

Paula
06-21-2006, 07:57 PM
This did start out to be a thread about Kenny Chesney, albeit one started 7 years ago. Let's keep it on topic.

Paula

JANETMECK
06-21-2006, 08:40 PM
It wasn't me that brought Tim into the topic. Tim was brought into the topic by more than one person 7 years ago, I was just pointing out that Tim did not disappear like some were predicting 7 years ago and in the long run he will around long after boring Kenny stops singing is predictable songs.

His popularity is already wanning some.

So long live Tim in country music and come back in 7 years and Tim will still be a big hit, if he wants to be just like a George.

sandis
06-21-2006, 09:13 PM
It's funny the ONLY male artist that has sold more in the first week than Tim is Garth. Not Toby, not Kenny.

Wow--you *finally* admitted it. :eek:

sunseeker30
07-06-2006, 11:25 AM
First, I was surprised to see a thread revived after 7 years!! However, it does need another look. Kenny is currently my favorite artist...have almost all of his albums.

I would like to first correct the misinformation about concert sales. According to CMT, Tim and Faith will have the highest grossing country tour, perhaps across all genres of music. However, Kenny has sold more tickets than any other country artist (including Tim and Faith)...that is because Kenny's tickets are much more affordable. I am not a huge Tim fan, but was going to attend their concert in Indy until I saw the price of the tickets.

If you have never attended a Kenny show, you really can't determine whether he is a good entertainer or not. I had first row tickets this year...he has deserved Entertainer of the Year for the past three years...first was CMA, the next two through ACM's.

It was the best show I have ever attended...and I have been to a lot of shows. Everyone was on their feet and having a great time...it was like a huge party! I now have tickets to see him again because I was so impressed.

The difference between Kenny and most other artists is his songs. If you know anything about Kenny, you know that most of his songs are about real events in his life...he allows you to see his vulnerability. That is what makes him sexy, as well as, a great artist!

Heather

JANETMECK
07-08-2006, 03:01 PM
First, I was surprised to see a thread revived after 7 years!! However, it does need another look. Kenny is currently my favorite artist...have almost all of his albums.

I would like to first correct the misinformation about concert sales. According to CMT, Tim and Faith will have the highest grossing country tour, perhaps across all genres of music. However, Kenny has sold more tickets than any other country artist (including Tim and Faith)...that is because Kenny's tickets are much more affordable. I am not a huge Tim fan, but was going to attend their concert in Indy until I saw the price of the tickets.

If you have never attended a Kenny show, you really can't determine whether he is a good entertainer or not. I had first row tickets this year...he has deserved Entertainer of the Year for the past three years...first was CMA, the next two through ACM's.

It was the best show I have ever attended...and I have been to a lot of shows. Everyone was on their feet and having a great time...it was like a huge party! I now have tickets to see him again because I was so impressed.

The difference between Kenny and most other artists is his songs. If you know anything about Kenny, you know that most of his songs are about real events in his life...he allows you to see his vulnerability. That is what makes him sexy, as well as, a great artist!

Heather

That is not exactly true it depends on what news site you look at, Tim and Faith could very well have MORE tickets sold and they probadly will. That news you quoted was in the TN paper from a QUOTE from Kenny's people. In fact that was in the paper a DAY after news was released from a Billboard article(Tim and Faith are on the cover) that stated they would have the biggest tour of the year.

Tim and Faith have already sold OVER a million tickets and only 1/2 way through the tour. You say Kenny is doing 8 stadiums shows, the one in Nashville is NOT sold out and in fact for about 5 days they were selling them for 10 dollars a ticket. What does that say.

Tim and Faith are doing 2-3 shows in some market that equals a stadium show.

I follow the boxscores and Tim and Faith is beating everyone in country and Kenny is NOT selling out every venue, he has had venues of 8000 people and he had one show with 11,000 when the capacity was 17,000.

Look at his album it is not even in the Top 10 this week and older albums are selling better, so what does that say.

So don't be surprised if Tim and Faith have not only top gross but top tickets.

Remember that article with that quote was from Kenny's people and I find it telling that the day after the paper printed the info from Billboard about T&F tour that his people got that in the paper.

Garth_BradFan
07-08-2006, 05:07 PM
You can't compare Kenny ticket sales to anyone else. He's way ahead of everyone, second only to Prince in all genres last year.

Tim & Faith may go on to sale more then him this year, but don't forget its been a while since Tim & Faith toured so inevitably there's a lot of interest.

Personally, I think Kenny eclipsed Tim a few albums ago and is a bigger draw, so is Toby Keith and Keith Urban for that matter.

JANETMECK
07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Toby Keith you have to be kidding, its funny he is never in the boxscores, this is a guy that sold about 1,700 copies of his HTU album last week, that came out about 58 weeks ago and has sold ONLY 1.5 millions copies so far(IT IS #74 ON THE COUNTRY ALBUM CHART, AND TIM'S LLYWD ALBUM HAS SOLD RIGHT UNDER 4 MILLION AND IS IN SELLING OVER 3,000 A WEEK AND IT CAME OUT 96 WEEKS AGO), Toby that is selling less each week of new studio album than Tim's 2nd GH.

Do you know Tm's 1st GH sells between 8,000-11,000 copies a week and is selling more than Toby's GH album that came out in 2004. In fact it would be around #21 on the Country album charts if it was not catalog.

In the Top 25 catalog not only does he have every week the #2 album, he has a #10 and even his All I Want album is in the top 25.

Tim has sold right under 5.2 million copies of his GH album and Kenny has sold 3.4 million of his that came out 3 months before his and had new singles.

Tim didn't really tour last year, just a few dates and Canada. He has another life unlike Kenny.

Kenny has to have all them multiplatinum acts on with him, lets see him do a One Band Show like Tim did that was very successful.

No matter what Keith has done he still has sold less than 3 million of his Golden Road and his Be There album just went over 3 million

Tim is at over 32 million sold, Kenny, Toby and Keith are not even close and Kenny and Toby have released more albums.

Garth_BradFan
07-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Although they all started out around the same time, Tim hit before Toby and Kenny and subsquently has had a bigger career overall but over the past few years, Kenny & Toby have certainly become bigger because, as you say, he has another life outside music.

JANETMECK
07-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Tim has other priorities, he has a family and that is #1 with him. Tim and Faith's tour started 21st April and was ONLY weekends till school was out and in fact the Billboard article stated them first few weekend dates couldn't be no more than 2 hours away by jet cause they would fly out after school was out on Friday.

The tour will only go through the summer, and in the last last couple weeks of August it goes back to weekends because of school.

So Tim could have gone to the max like he used to do when he was doing the George Strait tour and his own tour at the same time but he chose not to he compromise and made his family first. Just like Faith did by pretty much doing much of nothing from 2000 till now.

sunseeker30
07-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Wow...guess I stirred up some frustrations...

"That is not exactly true it depends on what news site you look at, Tim and Faith could very well have MORE tickets sold and they probadly will. That news you quoted was in the TN paper from a QUOTE from Kenny's people. In fact that was in the paper a DAY after news was released from a Billboard article(Tim and Faith are on the cover) that stated they would have the biggest tour of the year." - Janet Meck
---sorry I don't know how to do the inserts...

Anyway...not sure why you think I got my info from the TN paper...I don't read the TN paper...like I said it came from CMT and was quoted on CMT's Insider just this week. I really don't think that CMT would report this information if they weren't 100% sure...

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the final tallies come in at the end of the tours.

Heather

DavidN
07-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Diidn't Tim & Faith have to cancel some shows because pieces of the set were too heavy for some places?
Why couldn't they just show up and do something acoustic instead of a big stage show?

sunseeker30
07-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure about Tim and Faith, but look at this!

"Kenny Chesney's concert at Gillette Stadium near Boston brought in more than $4 million, making it the highest-grossing one-day country show in history. Other country artists on the bill at Sunday's (July 16) event included Dierks Bentley, Big & Rich, Carrie Underwood and Gretchen Wilson. Chesney also played Gillette Stadium in 2005. Only 16 concerts have passed a $4 million gross since the 1980s, when financial statistics were first reported to the public. Chesney's next stadium concert is Saturday (July 22) in Dallas."

http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1536819/07202006/chesney_kenny.jhtml

I first hear about this on CMT Insider...above is the link if you want to check it out yourself. Way to go Kenny!!!!

aschutz
07-29-2006, 10:17 PM
i really really really see the resemblance between kenny's live show and garth's shows...i just went to kenny's show in Hartford, CT and the way he brought the show to the back of the arena all the way out to the lawn and the way he moved around on the stage reminded me so much of garth back in the day...obviously no one can compare to the original but for now ill take what i can get.

Garth_BradFan
07-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Thats weird, because I've never seen Kenny jumping on ropes or swan diving in the crowd myself.

Trishafan4life2
07-30-2006, 02:31 PM
When Kenny was announced as the special guestss one of the nights at Fan Fair.......we left as soon as he came on stage LOL I've never put my shoes on so fast LOL I just dont get the attraction. Shrugs.

I like some of his songs just don't think he's sexy or even all that attractive.

Pammy
I AM SO glad that I am not the only one that feels that way. Kenny does nothing for me - his looks, nothing...... I may like one or two of his songs but 9 times out 10 when I hear his songs or voice, I flip the channel. I just don't get him either...... so i'm so glad i'm not the only one........ :)

aschutz
07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Thats weird, because I've never seen Kenny jumping on ropes or swan diving in the crowd myself.

like i said no one can compare to the original but ill take what i can get...geesh...not saying the man is garth just saying i see garths influence on new artists...and kenny started the show in the back of hte arena it just reminded me of garth flying into the crowd it was just cool for the ppl back there is all im sayin

redrum21
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Have you heard about the live album that Kenny has coming out this month?

I just bought a copy through the preorder - you can check it out here. (http://www.musictoday.com/redirect/bounce.asp?cid=16875)

He has a few songs on there that he doesn't play in concert anymore - it is worth taking a look at if you are a Kenny fan.

GBsgirl
09-07-2006, 05:07 PM
No thanks.

Trishafan4life2
09-08-2006, 08:28 PM
no thanks..............

Charles
09-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Kenny's live album is great......wish it was longer ..and included some of the cover songs he does in concert...

namely, Lay You Down (conway twittys song) and maybe Drift Away...

wish it had more songs, but what we do get as fans works too...

allisonv7
09-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Kindof disappointed in it - Needed some covers and some of the older songs.

Skywise
09-23-2006, 01:37 PM
greta point allison- the album looks very disappointing in it's ignoring of some of his better songs (and actually, his good ones...) it's fitting for some fans I guess, but def. not me- there's far better in country music that are actually worth listening to- butthey're 'under the radar'

Garth_BradFan
09-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Live albums are normally dissapointing - even 'Double Live' was in some ways. Its also missing some slower songs - Some of his best songs are slower ones, like 'The Good Stuff' (8 week no.1!) and 'There Goes My Life', and both are missing from the album.

tyfriend2
10-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Has anyone else noted the similarities in Kenny's stage show to Garth's? Just curious. Kenny does nothing for me however he does have the ability to pick a good song as does George Strait. But without songwriters we'd all be saying who?
Just my 2 cents. I have a soft spot in my heart for the songwriters, they are truely the gifted ones.
P

Trishafan4life2
10-12-2006, 10:28 PM
No comparison in stage shows!!!! Kenny's songs....... no thanks.......

However, I have a very high respect for song writers - yes - very gifted and talented!!!!!!!!