PDA

View Full Version : What musical artists of today, are going to be tomorrows legends?

PCL
01-31-2000, 12:56 PM
Hey<P>I had to ask this question. I dont think their are that many great artists out there. Artists who you can here one song from, and just know that they'll be around for awhile.<BR>Here are mine, and why:<P><B>R. KELLY</B><BR>Because of all the bad rap images, this guy will never get the respect he truly deserves. He is one of the most talented people to ever hit the music industry, and one of the first's to apply it hip-hop. He's the link between tomorrow's hip-hop sound, and yesterday's r&b soul (Marvin Gaye, and Lionel Richie).<P>One listen to "IF I COULD TURN BACK THE HANDS OF TIME" and "I BELIEVE I CAN FLY", and you'll understand why I say this.<P><B>LAURYN HILL AND WYCLEF JEAN</B><BR>Both are very real artists who leave violence and drug banging out of majority of their songs. Have you heard "Gone til November"<P><B>DAVE MATHEWS BAND</B> <BR>One of the most original bands out there. They are so unique its scary. "Satellite" is great.<P><B>BRAD PAISLEY</B><BR>"He didnt have to be".....NUFF SAID. Great writer, and great guitar player. <P><B>JESSICA SIMPSON</B><BR>Have you heard a voice. If she stays away from the whole POP scene (what killed Maria Carey, who used to be good), and just makes great ballads, she'll be incredible. <P><B>KID ROCK</B><BR>When he performed with Aerosmith and Run DMC, it was like he was saying "THIS IS ME, AND I DONT NEED TO ARGUE IT".<P>If you listen to his new one "Only god knows why" you'll know this guy has something to say. Im very surprised he released this song, and even more surprised MTV is actually playing it. MTV hasnt played a real song in a long time.<P><B>MATCHBOX 20</B> <BR>Hands down, the best album of the 90's. Aside from Garths stuff. <P><BR>Scott<BR>N

Glenn!
01-31-2000, 01:22 PM
<B>GREAT QUESTION SCOTT!</B><P>So great infact that I was going to post this topic sometime in the near future!<P>Looks like you beat me to it.<P>1 point for Scott<P>Well...................<P>Definately<BR><B>Laryn Hill</B><P>She is REALLY respected (and rightfully so)<P>______________________________________________<P>I think<BR><B>SHANIA</B><BR>Will be looked back on like Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin, and Mama Cass Eliot <BR>as one of those inovators among women who has kicked down doors<P>_______________________________________________<P><B>Lenny Kravitz</B><P>DEFINATELY<BR>He is the best guitar player (from the current generation of musicians)<BR>He has brought alot of nostalgia to the music industry and sociaty.<P>HE IS UNIQUE!<BR>_______________________________________________<P><B>MELISSA ETHRIDGE</B><P>Safely enough to say,<BR>THE BEST WOMAN GUITAR PLAYER EVER!<P>once again<BR>down in history like Janis Joplin <P>she's also one of the first LESBIAN preformers ever<BR>(and definately the most successful)<P>SHE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<P>She is also very pretty.<P>She is very intellegent.<P>(all the makings of a true class act legends)<P>She has so much passion in her music.<BR>(again Janis)<P>She also writes all of her own material.<BR>_________________________________________________<P><B>DAVE MATTHEWS BAND</B><BR>nuff said<P>________________________________________________<P><B>TLC</B><P>WOW <P>They are great.<P>They have such perseverence.<BR>They have had such great songs.<BR>COMEBACK QUEENS!<P>besides<BR>They're<BR>Crazy<BR>Sexy <BR>Cool<BR>and<BR>get lots<BR>of<BR>Fanmail<P>_______________________________________________<P><B>SARA MCLAUGHLIN</B><P>Can we say<BR>Lilith Fair?<P>DUH!<P>C'MON<BR>ONE OF THE GREATEST WOMEN IN ROCK EVER!<BR>________________________________________________<P><B>JEWEL</B><P>She brought back a respect for folk music to the mainstream!<P>Great songwriter<BR>Great singer<BR>Great guitarist<P>GREAT<P>(she once wrote a song entirely in LATIN! for her Christmas album)<P>If that doesn't spell out<BR>L<BR>E <BR>G<BR>E<BR>N<BR>D<P>then I don't know what does<BR>________________________________________________<P><B>ALANIS MORRESSETTE</B><P>......<I>YOU OUGHTA KNOW!</I><P>________________________________________________<BR><B>FIONA APPLE</B><P>BEST WOMAN SONGWRITER EVER<P>PERIOD.<P>________________________________________________<BR><B>METALLICA</B><P>First metal band to be accepted by mainstream.<P>Great songwriters (actually have substance)<BR>Great musicians<BR>_________________________________________________<P><B>Celine Dion</B><P>DUH!<P>_________________________________________________<P><B>2PAC</B><P>Great rapper.<P>Has a good legacy.<P>Yes he made mistakes,<BR>BUT<BR>will be looked back on as one of the best rappers ever.<BR>_______________________________________________<P><B>LL COOL J</B><P>Brought Rap/Hip Hop<BR>to the mainstream<BR>(this goes for <B>WILL SMITH</B> too)<P>good<BR><I>CLEAN</I><BR>rappers<BR>_______________________________________________<BR><B>KORN</B><BR>very political<P>brings Alternative music mainstream<P><I>Beating Me Down</I><BR>is the Alternative music equivalent to<BR><I>The Thunder Rolls</I><BR>_______________________________________________<P>We have more talent, politics, and diversity in music now than I believe we've had in a LONG time.<P>Only time will tell if these mentioned will become legends, but I think these are safe bets to make!<P> :D :D :D :D<BR> :D Glenn :D<BR> :D :D :D :D<P>NO ONE SAY RICKY MARTIN!!!!!!!!!!N

loreli
01-31-2000, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with you on R. Kelly, he is amazing.<P>Matchbox 20 is really good too. So is Brad Paisley.<P>Lauren Hill, Jessica Simpson, and Kid Rock..uh, no. I guess I'm too old. :)<P>I'm kind of tired of Dave Mathews Band.<P>LoriN

Pilgrim
01-31-2000, 01:32 PM
Scott!<P>I don't agree with any of yours :o<P>Especially R. Kelly is ..........<P>"I Believe I Can Fly" is about the worst piece of music<BR>ever to hit radio :( :( :(<P>Glenn!<BR>I think you are a bit closer, especially with Metallica, Shania, Alanis and Celine :)<P>Well, if you can take Metallica (they are already legends) then I can take <P><BR>GARTH! :D Do I need to say more? ;)<P><BR>Brian :)<BR><p>[Note: This message has been edited by LVGB4EVER]N

Glenn!
01-31-2000, 01:37 PM
<B>LORI</B><P>This has nothing to do with you actually liking the people!<P>It has to do with sociaty and the music industry respecting them.<P>YES<BR>THESE ARTIST <I>WILL</I> BE LEGENDS<BR>(in the eyes of the industry)<P>WHETHER ANY OF US LIKE THEM OR NOT<P>I don't particularly like<BR>THE ROLLINGSTONES<BR>but<BR>they're considered legends anyway<P>ANSWERING THE QUESTION REQUIRES YOU TO LOOK AT HOW OVERALL THESE PEOPLE ARE LOOKED AT!<P>It has nothing to do with liking them<P> N

loreli
01-31-2000, 01:53 PM
Well heck, Glenn why not?<P>I guess you could put those people in that catagory then.<P> Metallica would already qualify. <P>SANTANA TOO!!! Supernatural is incredible by the way.<P>So smoooth... :)<P>LoriN

Glenn!
01-31-2000, 02:02 PM
<B>SANTANA</B><P>Doesn't count.<P>(just like Garth, Cher, and other artists don't count)<P>They're ALREADY legends.N

loreli
01-31-2000, 02:22 PM
<B>WELL SO IS METALLICA!!!!!</B><P>Neener. *LOL*<P>LoriN

Glenn!
01-31-2000, 02:29 PM
Okay<P>I'll give that too ya Lori<P>(*Glenn puts away his guns*)<P>What about the famous<BR>saxaphone play<BR>BILL CLINTON<BR> ;)<P>(j/k)N

PCL
01-31-2000, 02:30 PM
Hey<P>To me, metallica and melissa etheridge are already legends. I was going to put Sarah Mc(whatever) too, but i didnt want my post to get too long. I think "I will remember you" is a very beautiful song. Tupac is definately one, but he's also ALREADY a legend. He had a great vocal style that made rap good. He was very clear. <P>I agree with most of the ones you point accept, KORN. I love KORN, and I think they'll be around for a long time, but I dont they'll be considered LEGENDS.<P>They sound too much like a FAD (a current trend that will come and go). LEGENDS are people who make music that will never go away. <P>Scott<BR>N

loreli
01-31-2000, 02:36 PM
(((Hugs))) GLENN. ;)<P>LoriN

Glenn!
01-31-2000, 02:40 PM
<B>HEY SCOTT</B><P>The BeeGees sounded like a fad to me!<P>BUT<P>NOW<P>They're condsidered legends.<P>(basically I'm saying not people who are really considered legends by EVERYONE but more or less people who are LIKELY to be inducted into the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME and THE BEEGEES have so if they can KORN can)<P><BR>(((HUGS))) backN

honky
01-31-2000, 04:28 PM
I LIKE <B>LL COOL J</B> :D He is a clean rapper. And a very funny actor too!!<P>I think Celine Dion is already a ledgend, so she doesn't qualify in this category. <P>TommyN

hugeGBnutt
02-01-2000, 04:44 PM
hmmm, here are SOME of mine......<P>i agree with <B>DMB</B>(very DEEP lyrics, awesome band....although Dave is alittle hard to understand st times :()<P>i agree with <B>Kid Rock</B>(hes cool, although, sometimes his lyrics get alittle annoying, i too was surprised that he released "Only God Knows Why"....great song! :))<P>i agree with <B>Matchbox20</B>(i LOVE every song on their album!.....BUT, they need to release another one SOON!)<P>i agree with <B>Jewel</B>(great artist, doesn't hurt that she is a fan of Garth! :))<P>i agree with ALANIS MORRESSETTE("You ought to know", AWESOME song, love her new one too!)<P>CREED(AWESOME!....doesn't hurt that they are fans of Garth too! :D)<P>--------------------------------------------<BR>and my 2 biggest ones, one artist, one band(although they might already be considered legends).....are....<P><B>Garth!</B>(duh, i'm sure you saw that one coming.....and rightly so! :D :) ;))<P><B>U2</B>(AMAZING band! :D)<P>....by far, my fav artist and fav band! :D<BR>---------------------------------------------<P>aRi<P><BR>N

Lowell Miller
02-01-2000, 05:48 PM
I am in love with Fiona Apple. I LOVE HER!!!!I think Korn and Kidd Rock will carry rock through with the help of Slipnot and System of the down. I also really like G**spack. I also like Eve for rap. On the country side I really like Gary Allens CD and a new guy Rick Ferrell(hopefully we will hear something from him soon). The chicks will be around for a while. The boy bands may have a couple years left, they are not slowing down. Christina Aguilera could develop into something(she has the talent). As far as Brittney goes well Disney droped her from the halftime show for Christina, so that says something about her. I did see a clip of Jessica Simpson and yes she can sing. I keep waiting for the new musical explosion to happen, seems to happen ever decade. Eiffel 65s' CD is fun but staying power Hmmmmm, I don't think so.N

Lowell Miller
02-01-2000, 05:53 PM
If anybody out there likes korn just a little and hasn't heard their first CD. Go get it. It will change your mind. It's almost perfect. Well, I still can't get my friends to listen to it. ;)N

psa
02-01-2000, 06:11 PM
I am saying this just because Glenn said no<BR>one say it though! <P>Ricky martin<BR>seriously I would have to say garth no doubt<BR>there, celine dion has and will continue<BR>to make her mark. I'm just getting into <BR>listeining to the pop side again so I would<BR>have to say there is alot of talent there<BR>like n'snyc they are a really good band.N

Pilgrim
02-01-2000, 10:55 PM
I was discussing this subject with Palle yesterday, and we came to the conclusion that there are only TWO ways to make a legend!<P><B>1. Live strong, die young</B>: You have to die at a relatively young age or in a very weird way to become a legend.<P><B>Sell millions of albums</B>: You have to sell millions of albums continuesly(sp)<P><B><I>LEGENDS</I></B> of "death"<BR>Elvis Presley<BR>Beach Boys <BR>Buddy Holly<BR>Gene Vincent<BR>Jimi Hendrix<BR>Janis Joplin<BR>TuPac<BR>Freddie Mercury<BR>etc.<P><B><I>LEGENDS</I></B> of selling or acheaving<BR>Garth Brooks<BR>The Beatles<BR>Led Zeppelin<BR>Michael Jackson<BR>Kenny Rogers<BR>The Rolling Stones<BR>Mariah Carey<BR>CCR<P><B><I>Artists that will never be legends</I></B><BR>R. KELLY<BR>BRAD PAISLEY<BR>JESSICA SIMPSON<BR>KID ROCK<BR>MATCHBOX 20 <BR>TLC<BR>SARA MCLAUGHLIN<BR>JEWEL<BR>FIONA APPLE<BR>KORN<P>Sorry, but you have to get some kind of success ALSO in Europe to be considered a legend, and except TLC and R. Kelly we barely hear any of the others.<BR>And TLC and R. Kelly is simply not legend stuff.<P>Brian :)N

PCL
02-03-2000, 06:14 AM
Hey<P>Damn Pilgrim, i really have to disagree. If you go by album sales, well MATCHBOX 20 sold <B>10 million</B> copies of their debut album. And the lead singer did "SMOOTH" with Santana, which was possibly the biggest song of the year. Plus, THEIR MUSIC IS SO DAMN ORIGINAL.<P>As for R. KELLY, he's definately legend material. He's the only one in R&B/Hip Hop who seems to know stuff about actual music (chords, melodies, harmonies......music theory in general). And his lyrics are incredible. He's the only artist who can get away with performing with Puff Daddy and Celine Dion (Two totally different styles of music).<P>Have you head "IF I COULD TURN BACK THE HANDS OF TIME". Its one of the best songs released in the 90's. Musically, it represents almost every genre. It had rock/rap/hip hop/r&b/pop/folk/and even a bit country all in ONE SONG. <P>ScottN

Pilgrim
02-03-2000, 06:59 AM
LOL Scott :)<P>Only time will tell, but I am pretty sure that no one will remember R. Kelly in 10 years :D<P>He is simply too boring to anyone to keep in touch with his music.<P>We'll see....... ;)<P>BrianN

Jules
02-03-2000, 12:37 PM
This is a cool topic :)<P>Well, I agree on some of the artist mentioned here - and some, well, I just don't see where your coming from..... :o<BR>One band I think is "missing" here though, the amazing and extremely talented <B>REM</B> - I'm sure they will never be forgotten.<P>But perhaps that is just my opinion...<P>BetinaN

hugeGBnutt
02-10-2000, 07:26 PM
oh yeah, i agree w/ R.E.M, "Losing My Religion" & "Everybody Hurts" are amazing songs! :)<P>aRiN