PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Adventure with fellow GarthNutts (Part 1)

AbsoluteNJGarthNut
03-23-2000, 06:43 AM
Well I am back from Florida. And I finally can sit and tell you about our wonderful Garth adventure. Even though my story really doesn't differ much from Jen (Jen19) there are a few little different details.

I will type this in two parts to avoid having this really really long.

Day 1 - Wed March 15th.

Got up at 4:30 in the morning and was at the airport by 6, flight left a 7. We landed in Orlando around 9:30 - 10. Once we got the rental car we put Garth in the tape player and headed for Port St. Lucie. We made it to the game just in time to see the first inning. I was so excited to see Garth standing in the dugout!!! We got to see Garth pinch hit then it was out to wait online for him.

While standing in line waiting for Garth I got to talk to some really nice people. Not PGers just some random Garth fans waiting to get their first moments with him. Also Jen and Julie found us online and it was great to see Julie again!! (HI JULIE!!) While I was standing there I got to talking to a very sweet little girl with downs syndrom. Her name was Kristen. Kristen was soooo excited that she was gonna get to me Garth! That's all she talked about. How she was gonna get her baseball signed for her group home. Well around 4:30 or so Garth came out and said that he was going to be at least another hour and half because he had to stuff with the Make a Wish foundation kids and that if we couldn't wait he suggested maybe trying another day. Well next me Kristen's mom let out a long sigh and sadly told Kristen that they couldn't stay that long. Kristen looked like she was going to burst into tears. Her mother said she would be right back - she want to go check to see if they really should leave or if they could manage to wait. Kristen just kept saying "I hope I can wait I really want my ball signed for Bethel Ridge" (that's the group home she spends time at) Well looking at this very disappointed girl I came up with an idea. I told Kristen that we had these things called "Garth Angels" and they have an amazing way of getting things done and we would see what we could do. When her mother returned she very reluctently (sp?) told her they couldn't stay. I then asked the mother if she would have a problem leaving her baseballs with me and I could try to have them signed and I would mail them back to her upon my return from vacation. The woman's face lit up and she asked "Would you really do that for us??" and I said "Hey, that's what being a Garth fan is all about...we do things like this for each other." With that she left me the baseballs and her address and Kristen gave me a big hug and with a big smile said thanks!

More waiting...

Finally Garth came out. The crowd was huge but as in Garth fan fashion, relatively calm. While I was waiting for him to get over to our area to sign stuff it was really cool watching him interact with his fans. He's so good with the kids, its just amazing. And he took the time out to try to talk with everyone he was signing for. Well after a little while it came my turn. He took my picture (the one I had taken with him in New York) and as he signed it he just asked where the picture was taken and I explained that it was in New York, just before Thanksgiving. The day he was rehearsing the Christmas special. Then he recognized the "Stop/Security Check" sign just behind his shoulder and knew that is was the garage at the NBC studios. He handed me back my picture. I was able to pass a book I had wanted to give him under the fence, told him he was a sweetie as usual. But before I was able to ask him to sign the ball for the little girl he was off signing more autographs. (Stupid me...should have done that first!!) But all was not lost. Shelley said that she wasn't going to have him sign anything this time so she was able to get him the ball, explained what it was for and got him to sign it!! (Shelley, I will never be able to thank you enough for that!!) Then we hung out until about 7:30 and watched Garth sign and when every last person there get there autograph he went over to his truck and off he went.

Part 2 will be March 16 (Thursday)

Lost 'n' Garth
03-23-2000, 06:55 AM
Anxiously awaiting for more!! I love to read everyone's moments. Each one of them are unique and special!!

Cheri :)

majmom
03-23-2000, 07:00 AM
WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO, Karin! Soooo glad to see a nutt I've had the pleasure of meeting get more moments!!

Not so patiently waiting Part 2..........

Kerry

nelty
03-23-2000, 07:05 AM
Thanks.. for the moments.... Can't wait for the rest of your moment

Nelly :)

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
03-24-2000, 04:11 AM
Absolute,

How incredibly kind of you all to get the ball signed for that little girl, Kristen.

No wonder this is my favorite forum :)

Can't wait to read the second half!Thanks for sharing.

CC :)

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
02-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Karin, right? I hope I got that right!

Wow, that is SUCH a cool story, not so much a Garth-story, but a Karin-story!!! ;) How awfully sweet of you, to care enough for that little girl to offer to do that for her!!! You truly were an angel! :)

DeeDee

Jen19
02-10-2004, 09:09 PM
oh I miss Karin.. she moved to Florida and left me.....

you know she came up with the oringal idea for the PG convention

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
02-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Jen ~

I'm sorry you lost your buddy! :( Do you ever get to see her? Florida isn't too terribly far from Nashville, depending on 'where' in Florida, I guess! ;)

DeeDee