PDA

View Full Version : Garth Adventure Number Two!

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
03-21-2000, 03:33 PM
Well... I was lucky enough to be able to go back to Port St Lucie for the last weekend of Spring Training. This trip I took my duaghter and met Sandytoo and marla with a b and her daughter for 3 exciting days of Garth!

Thursday 3/16

My daughter and I headed down to PSL about 4PM. We arrived in PSL and went straight to the mall to pick up a few things and then got a bite to eat. About 10PM we checked into the hotel and waited for Sandy,Marla and Laura to arrive.

On my last trip, we made friends with Cindy at the front desk of the SpringHill Suites who is also a Garth Fan. (Thanks for everything!) The girls finally arrived about 2am and we all were so excited when they got there it took a while to wind down and finally get to sleep. We planned to get to the field early Friday morning so sleep was a much needed thing......

Friday 3/17

Happy St Patty's Day!

We got up early and headed to the ballpark about 9am. Garth was already there and we headed up to the gates to wait till they let us in to watch practice. At 9:30 they opened the gate and in we go! We watch Garth doing his warmups and take a few pictures. Garth is spending some time this morning with a child from the Make A Wish Foundation that flew all the way from Ireland!! Isn't that coincidental on St Patty's Day!

We met Jen19 and AbsoluteNJGarthNut-aka Jen and Karin (Hi gals! :)) Jen and Karin had made a sign and asked us to come over and sign it because they were going to give it to Garth. Thanks for including us!

The game started at 1:10 so we head into the staium to find our seats about 12:20. We had seats pretty high up but they were decent seat and along the 3rd base line so we could see Garth as he came out of the dugout. It was pretty neat during the game to hear them play Garth's Music. They played 2 Pina Coladas and Long Neck Bottle. Garth was put in to play in the 5th inning and played Left Field and got to bat twice. Each time he went up to bat they played "Tearin It Up" which was really fun! The sad part was listening to some of the people and the comments they made about Garth being there. It made perfect sense that they had no earthly clue why Garth was really there. We heard lots of rude comments but we weren't gonna let that ruin our time!

Garth made contact with the ball both times at bat but flied out each time. He was upset, just as we were, as we were so hoping to watch him get his first hit! :(

After the game, we headed out to the gate where he was supposed to sign autographs but the crowd was enormous. Now don't take this the wrong way when I say this, but once you have been lucky enough to meet "Da Man" face to face and get that famous Garth Hug, talking to him through the fence and asking for an autograph that way just didn't appeal to us at all. We decided to wait at the car and try to catch him as he exited the gate in his truck.

As we wait at the car, we can hear the crowd go crazy when Garth finally comes out to sign at the fence. He signed for maybe about 30 minutes and then told the crowd that he had an engagement he had to attend and couldn't sign anylonger. Lots of people were very unhappy and left practically cursing Garth. :( As Garth tried to leave the gate about 50 people came running down to the gate exit and bombarded him there hoping to get an autograph. Garth politley told them he was sorry that he couldn't sign and tried his best to get thru with his truck, but these people just wouldn't give up. At one point, there are people on both sides of his truck trying to get up to him and someone about 4 people deep had a bag of Peanut M&M's lifted out into his directions. The funniest thing was seeing him try to leave, but quickly grab that bag of M&M's!! That was priceless! :)

At some point there after he grabbed the M&M's someone yelled out " Just let the man leave"! And finally the crowd let him leave.

That whole scene was very disturbing to me, Marla and Sandy. Garth is so giving of his time and then you have these people that will stop at nothing to get to him.Especially the people that were cursing him and then the ones who were not really even fans of his. All they wanted was that autograph because of Garth's celebrity status.

We left in a very somber mood after watching the circus that unfolded as he left and headed back to the hotel.

Will finish the story tomorrow.....

[Note: This message has been edited by Gator_Girl_4_Garth]

Paula
03-21-2000, 03:41 PM
:(, hope the rest of the weekend was better.

Paula

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
03-21-2000, 03:51 PM
I forgot to mention that we also met a fellow PGer "adreamer2". It was really nice meeting people face to face! Hi Pat! :) Had a great time this weekend!

:)

Monica

nelty
03-21-2000, 04:08 PM
Again Monica,

Thanks for telling and sharing with us. I love them.. :)

Nelly

GBsPrecious
03-21-2000, 05:23 PM
[There were people there that we had seen on our last trip, that were there every single day. They were there waiting for him at the gate to the parking lot when he got there and they were there when he left every night. It seemed as though they had to be in on every move that Garth made, and we felt sorry for him having to deal with that everyday.]

As someone who was there every day let me assure you I did not have to be in on his every little move. I just liked waving hello as he arrived. He certainly did not seem to mind as we did not get up to the truck but stood back and watched the others. To bad you had to feel sorry for his putting up with polite fans. You seem to be presuming a lot since you don't know me or what relationship I may have with GB. I'm sure he was much more bothered by people standing in front of his truck blocking his way than by waving to me from a distance in the mornings.

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
03-21-2000, 05:37 PM
Th group that I am talking about did more than just wave to him from a distance. There were people that planted a place in line everyday and then when they got their time with him, never moved for others to make their way.

I have no idea who these people were and I did not mean to single anyone out. I just made an observation and thought it was selfish to have to be there hog his time when there were so many other people that wanted to get a chance to talk to him.

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
03-21-2000, 05:51 PM
I have edited my first post because I have seemed to strike a nerve with one of my comments which was not my intent.

I certainly do not judge anyone and their relationship with Garth, but observations were made that I should have kept to myself. For that I apologize.

Alawishes
03-21-2000, 06:00 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Well really nobody has a relationship with Garth, everybody is just a fan no matter how many times you meet him. I mean a realtionship means more of a friendship and if you are a friend of Garth then wouldn't he be calling often and inviting you over I mean you have to go to him to see him.

BTW this is not intended for Monica but for the poster talking of a relationship with Garth.

sleanna
03-22-2000, 03:42 AM
Gator Girl:

Please, Please, Please, finish the rest of your story and do not edit one word. I think most of us agree we want every observation you made, and you certainly did not post anything that was questionable!! Can't wait to hear the rest

Leann

GBsPrecious
03-22-2000, 04:06 AM
By using the word relationship I did not mean to imply a friendship. My apologies.

Gator_Girl_4_Garth
03-22-2000, 04:10 PM
WARNING... THIS IS A LONG POST!

Saturday 3/18

We got up early and headed to the ballpark. Garth was actually running late that morning and we started to think he wasn't going to show, but low and behold he pulls up in his truck about 9 am.

When they opened the gates we headed in to watch warm up's and chatted with other PGer's and G-boxers. Garth was sent to practice inside the stadium field which was not open yet for us to watch.

The game started at 1:10 and again we headed into the stadium as soon as they opened the gates for us to go in. We headed down to the seats directly behind the dugout and watched Garth as he did some interviews and met with Make A Wish children. Garth is so compassionate and you can tell how much happiness and joy he brings to these children. He gets down on his knees, to be on their level and talks to them about anything and everything. :)

The game starts but Garth is not put in the game until the bottom of the 6th inning. They actually put Garth in to pinch run for the last batter.

This was a site to behold! Garth is running from first to second base and the second baseman caught the ball....Garth is running ar full speed and even though he knows he is out he decides to slide into second... ;)

Top of the 7th...Garth comes out to play left field. At this point there were several open seats at the end of the section closest to Garth in Left Field (can you imagine that?) so we decided to move down there to get a better view and some closer pictures.

I think in the 8th inning, Sandy Marla and I were taking pictures and watching Garth when all of a sudden we see him waving. Marla said "look he was waving to us!" I said how do we know it was us?? There are so many people here! ( Of course we wanted to believe it was us he was waving to!) So we now are happy as pigs in slop even though we know we probably weren't the ones he was waving to!

Garth doesn't get to play in the 9th inning but he does go back out to the back part of the field and run sprints. After the game is over, he starts to sign autographs standing from the field for the people in the bleachers. We decide to stay where we were to see if he made his way down to us. Well, the stadium security people would not let us stay so we headed out side to Gate A where we were told Garth would be signing.

When we finally got out of the stadium there must have been atleast 700 to 1000 people waiting in line to get an autograph. The line practically wound around to the front of the stadium. We decided that we would head back to the car because we had heard from several people that Garth stated he would stay as long as it took for autographs after the game.

We hung out at the car for quite a while, maybe an hour and we heard the crowd go wild calling "Garth" so we knew he was out there. Garth had come out to tell everyone that he was having a party with the Make A Wish Kids and it would be atleast an hour and a half before he would be out to sign. He told people to go get a bite to eat for dinner and come back. Well....at this point quite a few people did leave. Just showed us how many people were there for the autograph only.

Luckily we had a cooler in the car, with cold drinks in it, but we were running low and could tell it was gonna be a long night. One of the other Garth Fan's we had met sent her husband up to the convenience store for drinks and snacks.

About an hour later, we see a familar white mini-van pull up and behind the gate where the locker room door was. Sandy had brought the girls and was also toting things that looked like wrapped gifts. Just after that, we see Kelly Brooks, Mr. Brooks( Garth's Dad) and Garth's brother Jerry walk up to the gate. They were actually headed to the wrong gate and so we told them which gate they needed to head to to get in to the locker room. Soon after a pizza delivery truck pulls up and delivers about 15 pizzas.

Kelly Brooks, (Garth's Brother and Manager) came out shortly after and told everyone that Garth was waiting to say goodbye to the other players that were due back anytime on the travel bus. It was going to be atleast another 2 hours until Garth came out to sign.

This was a good thing, because more people left at that point. We decided it was time to make a run for dinner so Marla, Sandy and I head to Wendy's while Pat, Laura, and Jennifer stay back at our spot. Have I mentioned how windy and chilly it was?? Since we were all in shorts, and the night was getting colder, we did make a run to the hotel to change into jeans. Thank goodness the hotel was only 3 minutes away from the stadium.

As we were eating our Wendy's, we suddenly notice that someone is pulling Garth's truck out of the player parking lot and into the gated area by the locker room. People were getting concerned that Garth was not going to sign and that was his quick getaway by moving his truck there. I told our group that he wouldn't do that to his fans, especially since he had personally told people that he would be out to sign. Kelly and Mr. Brooks and Jerry were leaving and we did get the chance to meet Jerry and talk with him. He was very nice. Sandy asked him how Betsy was doing and he said that she was living in Washington State and had not picked up a guitar in over 5 years. She was enjoying living in the mountains in Washington. Jerry is the only sibling still living in Tulsa and the rest of the siblings are kinda scattered all over.

Some of the Mets staff were loading things in Garth's truck and shortly after Sandy, the girls, and Mr Brooks left for home in the van. Kelly and Jerry followed right after.

Finally Garth came out about 9:30 and started signing. He was in an extremely good mood and his smile was glowing from yards away! It was soooo great to see him smiling and joking with fans!

One fan asked Garth if he would mind talking to her son because he needed to go to bed and she promised she would try to get Garth to talk to him. Garth obliged and the conversation between Garth and this child was great. Of course, one can't hear what is said on the other end of the line, but from what I could gather the little boy must have told Garth a joke. Garth laughed and said, "Hey, now I have a joke for you!" He asked to little boy "Do you know how to fix a broken pumpkin?" The little boy said no obviously, and Garth said " with a pumpkin patch" We all laughed as Garth enjoyed hearing the joy he brought to that little boy. Garth then told him he needed to get to bed because it was late. I think he even told him to tell him little brother hello and to be sure to tell him the joke.

We wait and wait as Garth keeps signing and it seems like forever, but we finally are up there infront and are about to come face to face with "Da Man"!

Now, one part I forgot to mention which I have to explain is my 9 year old daughter is very excited about meeting Garth. My daughter is not shy by any means and is a very talkative and "no holding back" kinda girl. At dinner on Friday night, she asked us what question she should ask Garth when she finally got to meet him. Sandy, Marla, Laura and I were all thinking of what she could ask him and I said to Sandy, Marla and Laura..."Hey, she could ask him "THE" question!!" Boxers or Briefs!!! Of course I am joking! But my daughter say's ok, I'll ask him that! We are dying at this point and dilligently trying to give her other ideas for questions....so I make sure we come up with another question for her, tell her under no circumstances should she ask him that and pray she doesn't embarrass me :o

So, all that behind us, my daughter is up next and say's hello to Garth. Garth says hello and she hands him her baseball that she wants autographed. (I am praying at this point and we all stand there holding our breathe!) Garth asks her if the ball is for her and she says yes. He ask her name and she says Kristina. He said is that CH..and she answers no with a K. Now is her time to ask him the question......Garth, can I ask you a question? "Sure, Honey." He said.

"What is your favorite kind of......M&M?" (whew....we all wipe our brow!) He answers." Kristina, that is a very good question!" I love them all...I especially like the mint ones that you can get this time of year". Then he starts naming all the different types. So, I am happy she didn't ask "THE" question and she is happy that he answered her M&M question. (BTW, we had a bag of Peanut M&M's for him)

Now, Marla's daughter is up next and Marla and Laura are up next to the fence talking to Garth. Garth said " I saw you ladies looking at me today when I was in left field." OMG!!!! Did he just say that? Marla and I look at each other and start laughing.. Garth says.."I even waved to you" and it's a good thing the fence was there to grab ahold of because we both were about to fall over!!

Laura gets her baseball signed and then Marla's sister went next. She had a baseball too, but also was given a task of getting Garth's autograph for her nephew's language arts teacher who was giving him extra credit if he got her the autograph. (That's a tuff assignment! ;))

I go next, and let me tell you when people say that he has a memory.. he has a memory! Not only did he remember Marla with a B, he also remembered my name. I was in awe!! I first had him autograph a picture of him and a little girl named Audrey that he had met and taken a picture with several months ago, and then I had him sign my picture of my first Garth Hug and my best friend Kelli's picture of she and Garth. Sandy went next, got her things signed and that was it. We thanked Garth for everything and headed back to the car. We were the last people he signed for, and he too headed back to the locker room so he could leave.

We wait at the car in the parking lot and watch Garth as he approaches us in the truck. We wave as he gets close to say goodbye and he slows down and rolls down the window in the truck. We say thanks for everything and he thanks us for coming. Marla then said " Garth, can I ask you a little favor?" Garth said, "Sure, honey, what is it?"

Marla asks if he would mind taking a photo with her daughter, because she didn't want to get one with the fence between them. He said " Sure". He turns off his truck and gets out!!

Marla is scrambling for the camera and Laura stands next to Garth for that first Garth Hug picture! I tell Marla to give me the camera and I will take a picture of them both with Garth. WOOOHOOO Huh Marla!

Of course, I now have to ask Garth if my daughter can take a picture with him and he graciously obliges. Marla then takes a picture of me with Garth and my daughter. My daughter is just so excited!!! She finally got her Garth Hug! And I got another!! YIPPEE!!!

We realize just how tired he is and tell him we will let him go, and thank him again for everything. I told him we all would be watching him next weekend on the Oscars, and he said thanks! I asked him what song he would be singing and I think I said I heard you were singing "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head". He said that he was not positive what song he was singing.

We told him to have a safe trip home and a safe trip to California.

We waved goodbye and watched him drive away into the night.....

Garth, if you are out there somewhere reading this....Thank you for treating your fans the way you do and making each of us feel special. You have a way of making each of us feel like we have your undivided attention when you are talking to us and you'll never know what that means to us! We Love You!! Sandy, Thanks for sharing your husband so unselfishly with all of us. I know it can't be easy.

That's the way I remember it.....

Monica

[Note: This message has been edited by Gator_Girl_4_Garth]

Paula
03-22-2000, 04:34 PM
That was great Monica! Thanks for sharing it with us...and ConGARTHulations on your Garthsqueezie!

Paula

nelty
03-22-2000, 05:46 PM
Moni,

I have a stomach ache now... I was laughing so hard....LOL :).. Thanks for the moment

Nelly :)

cpoet
03-22-2000, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to add what a special lady Monica is. She was sweet enough to take along the picture of my daughter and Garth to get signed.

THANK YOU MONICA!!! :) :) :)

I can't wait to see it!

Cindy

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
03-22-2000, 08:15 PM
Monica,

Thank you! Thank you! soooo very much for sharing all of your special moments. You're a real sweet heart :)

CC

Pilgrim
03-22-2000, 08:30 PM
Very cool :D :D

So you didn't ask him this time either?? :(

Oh well, you got another moment.

Brian

sleanna
03-23-2000, 03:54 AM
Monica:

Thanks for posting the rest of your Garthmoments! Those girls must think they are the coolest kids around!! :) I'm glad you had such a wonderful time!!

Leann

Teach
03-23-2000, 04:19 AM
Every time I read one of these GB moments I get goosebumps. Each and every one of them are so exciting and special. Thanks, Monica, for sharing another moment with all of us. :)

MelMalovesGB4eva
03-23-2000, 06:48 AM
Thanks for sharing :)

Every time I read a moment I am truly amazed at what a wonderful guy he is. :)

Crackers
03-23-2000, 11:46 AM
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I LOVED IT!!!

I'm glad you told him what song he's singing at the Academy Awards. Maybe he needs to check in here (PG) once in a while so he can find out what's going on in his life. I think we know more about him than he does.

adreamer2
03-23-2000, 03:25 PM
Hey Monica,

Reading your post made me feel like I was living the moments again. I just wish it hadn't been so windy and cold. I'm still recovering.

Anyway, when Garth said he didn't know what song he was singing at the Academy Awards, he did say, "whatever song it is, I'll sing it Garth's way." That much I do remember.

Talk to ya soon.

Pat

TK
03-24-2000, 12:08 AM
Monica,

Thanks for taking the time to share your Garthmoment. Congratulations to you and your daughter and all you friends!

TK

BigGfan4life
03-25-2000, 10:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your priceless moments :) I hope someday, I'll get mine! ;)

marla with a b
03-25-2000, 03:01 PM
Way to go Monica!!! Wasn't it wonderful!!

You told it so much better than I could have!

I had so much fun and can't wait to do it again!!!!

m-w/ab

MtnGirlCrazy4Garth
02-10-2004, 01:05 AM
I didn't realize that you had a "Part II', Moni, that's great! It's so cool that you got to go once with just the Garthnutts, and then got to go again and take your daughter with you, that's perfect! :) And, he remembered your name, which is sooo exciting when he does that! Very :cool:!!! Thanks for sharing your story with everyone! :)

DeeDee