PDA

View Full Version : BROOKS GIVES BACK BIG IN MOTHER'S NAME !!!!

hugeGBnutt
03-31-2000, 02:27 PM
<B>BROOKS GIVES BACK BIG IN MOTHER'S NAME <P>Last week, to benefit the cancer center that treated his mother, Garth Brooks gave a very special private concert at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. In front of a select audience of 1500 Hollywood heavyweights ranging from moguls such as Disney's Michael Ovitz and Fox's Bill Mechanic, to movie stars such as Cameron Diaz and Brad Pitt, Brooks put on a sterling, intimate acoustic set. He mixed in his big country hits with tunes from artists that influenced his career like James Taylor, all of which delighted the high-powered crowd. The result of this one night, acoustic show is that those attending dipped into their deep pockets and contributed over $3 Million to a fund set up to attract the world's best physicians to the UCLA Cancer research center. <P>Former Disney Executive, Michael Ovitz...Thanks to his friendship with Michael Ovitz, Ovitz guided Garth and his mother to UCLA where some of the best Cancer physicians in the world work. Brooks was greatly impressed and grateful for the way his mother, Colleen, was treated and credits the center's care with prolonging her life. It gave him and the family more time with his mom and allowed him to take her on tour with him in her final year of life. The concert was his way of honoring his mother's memory and giving back to the center. (Note: MONDAY, APRIL 3, 2000 - 10:00 A.M. (EDT), Garth will give a press conference at Shea Stadium in NYC, in the auxiliary locker room. Garth will detail his spring training adventures with the Mets and his Touch 'Em All Foundation, which benefits children's charities.)</B><P>very cool! :) ;) :D :) ;) :D :) ;) :D!<P>aRi<P>N

Lost 'n' Garth
03-31-2000, 02:43 PM
Being a nurse, it is nice to know your efforts are appreciated even when the outcome is not one we have wished for. <BR>Thanks Garth!!<P>Cancer is a nasty disease that I hope through further research, we find a cure. It takes a great number of wonderful people every year. Last year my Grandfather. He lived about a year after the diagnosis. Enough time to tell those he cared for how much he loved them and us: how much we loved him.<P>"tell someone that you love, just what you're thinkin' of, if tomorrow never comes.<P>CheriN

honky
03-31-2000, 02:44 PM
VERY COOL!! THANKS FOR SHARING :)<P>*Sigh* I was not there at the concert :( I hope some Pgers, who had gone to the concert, would come back here and share their wonderful storys :) <P>It sounds like the concert was AWESOME!! Garth performed many different songs.<P><BR>TommyN

SweetGBFan
03-31-2000, 02:53 PM
Having had breast cancer 3 yrs ago I can say thank you much to Garth!! Any money contributed to help wipe this horrible disease is greatly appreciated. I can imagine that the people must have loved him. I know I would have been in 7th heavenN

BlueRose
03-31-2000, 03:47 PM
Thanks aRi!!<P>Cheryl<BR>N

BigGfan4life
03-31-2000, 04:25 PM
That is awesome news...thanks for sharing :) I'm sure Mamma Brooks was smiling as she watched her son from heaven as he was performing :)N

Garth_FANtasizer
03-31-2000, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the article, aRi!<P>I was hoping someone would find some details about this.<P>It sounds like it was a huge success. I already knew Garth could only be great!<P>~Ann~<BR>N

Hawk7lte
03-31-2000, 05:05 PM
How pleasing to hear that the concert was such a success. Three million - quite a gift of gratitude. How true that these combination of gifts will go toward not only prolonging lives but eventually conquering cells growing and multiplying out of control. <P>With all those helping hands including the singer of songs; hope rises. <P><BR>What a worthwhile thing to do.<P><BR>Hawk<P>N

Cuddles
03-31-2000, 06:06 PM
Thanks ari for the article.<P> ~ Val ~N

pldrw
04-01-2000, 02:13 AM
Glad to read about It !! Hope they enjoyed it ! I know I would have , If I hadn't cried the whole time!!!! That is why tried to start a project with RELAY For Life!! I am going to particate! RELAY FOR LIFE is to help rasie money for CANCER research!! My mother died 12 years ago before my son was born !! So I know about some of what Garth's going through!! Hopefully as RELAY"S across the country start up more of you will join and spend the money to honor COLLEEN with a luminary!! And send the aknownment to Garth!!enough of my lectures now !! Take care all!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)N

BlueRose
04-01-2000, 09:37 AM
I hope the RELAY FOR LIFE project reaches my area, I'd definitely participate. I lost 5 members of my family to cancer over the last 10 years. I dream of a world where no one has to die from this horrible disease and there can never be enough money raised for research.<P>Cheryl<BR>N

splitzer
04-01-2000, 04:06 PM
That was a great thing for Garth to do, he never fails to impress me! :)<P>Y'know, Colleen Brooks didn't die of Cancer. Garth said in an interview shortly after her death that she beat the Cancer but then developed Spinal Menengitis, which is what killed her. I'm just mentioning it because everyone, from fans to media, seems to think she died of Cancer, but he specifically said that she didn't.<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

redstrokes77
04-02-2000, 04:55 AM
Right Danielle, I think that's why Garth finds her death so hard to take. She BEAT the cancer but I guess she was too weak to beat the menningitis. <P>debN

Odexut77
04-03-2000, 10:04 AM
Thank You for posting the article aRi<P>I have lost my Granfather Gerald, Uncle Ron, Aunt Colleen, Mother Doris, Mother-in-Law Leona. And just last year my Cousin Evelyn, all to cancer.<P><B>A big THANK YOU! to Garth</B><P>Kathy77N