PDA

View Full Version : Article about the backyard concert

Cheryl
12-15-1999, 07:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Garth Brooks Fulfills Promise of ``Back Yard Concert;'' Performs for Contest Winners in Mobile, Ala.<P><BR>Entertainment Editors<P>MOBILE, Ala.--(ENTERTAINMENT WIRE)--Dec. 15, 1999--Leave it to Garth Brooks to turn<BR>a back yard concert into a party with over 1500 people! Last night at the Saenger Theatre in Mobile, Ala., Brooks performed a free acoustic show for the winners of his back yard concert contest, along with 1500 of their closest friends and family.<P>Charles Toler/a, a truck driver from Daphne, Ala., held the winning entry in the contest, which ran in connection with the release of Brooks' record-breaking Double Live CD last November. Fans entered a random drawing by completing entry forms at participating retailers, including Wal-Mart and<BR>Kmart. It was actually Toler's 19-year-old granddaughter, Angela, who submitted entry forms for Charles, his wife Betty, and herself in the hope of winning the contest. Scheduling conflicts prevented the concert from being held in the summer, so the Saenger theatre substituted for a back yard.<BR> <BR>After spending the afternoon with the Tolers and taking them to dinner at a local restaurant, Brooks performed a 90-minute set accompanied by Dave Gant on keyboards and Jimmy Mattingly on fiddle and acoustic guitar. When he took the stage, Brooks apologized saying, "We haven't done a show in a long time, and we don't have the full band, so I'm sorry if we're a little rusty." Someone in the audience shouted, "We don't care!" and with that the party began.<BR> <P>The Tolers decided to share the concert with many underprivileged children from their community who would not otherwise have had the opportunity to see Brooks perform. They also invited members of the youth group at Spanish Fort Christian Church and the local ROTC, where Angela is Cadet Captain. Other friends and family members filled the 72-year-old theatre, making the intimate<BR>gathering sound more like one of the crowds at Brooks' arena shows.<BR> <BR>Brooks began the show with "Rodeo," changing one line to "She knows his love's in Daphne," then launched into a series of songs by artists who have influenced him. He followed each of those songs with one of his own that showed that particular influence. Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" led to Brooks' "Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)," complete with a line saying, "Gotta play for the Tolers tomorrow night." James Taylor's "Frozen Man" flowed into "The River," while Bob Seger's "Night Moves" set the stage for "That Summer."<BR> <BR>Brooks dedicated "Two of a Kind, Workin' on a Full House" to Mr. and Mrs. Toler, who will<BR>celebrate their 39th wedding anniversary on December 21. He also sang "Unanswered Prayers" for Betty, who is an active volunteer in the community. <B>And, he brought Angela to the stage and serenaded her with "To Make You Feel My Love."</B> (OMG, I would have melted into a big old puddle right there at this feet! :)) Brooks took requests from the audience, performing "Lonesome Dove" from Ropin' the Wind and "Somewhere Other Than the Night" from The Chase.<BR> <BR>Brooks summed up the evening saying, "In a year that's been this hard for me, it was nice to catch myself just laughing out of control."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sounds like a really great night! :)N

loreli
12-15-1999, 08:01 PM
Oh Boy, that must have been something. I love how he said they wanted him to sing Papa Loves Mama. They sound like a great couple.<P>LoriN

honky
12-15-1999, 08:25 PM
WOW! That was a secret! *LOL*<P>I didn't know that the concert has already taken place...LOL<P>I am glad that they enjoyed the concert! OGH.. those good songs!! <P>TommyN

AZamy77
12-15-1999, 09:50 PM
Cheryl :)<P>Thanks for the nice article. :) They truly were very lucky to win this contest. For me personally, I can't think of a better place for the winners to be from. When I was on a roadtrip back in Oct., I got stuck in Daphne, Alabama in some really thick fog around 11 pm., leaving Tallahassee Fl., heading back to Phoenix. To make a long story short, I felt angels in that little town. The man who worked at the BP Station, on Hwy. 98, off I-10, for anyone who's familiar, was the sweetest old guy. He reminded me of my dad, gave me coffee, and talked to me. Then the State Patrolman came in, and said I shouldn't drive, because they've had very bad accidents in the fog there, so they told me to stay parked, and the children and I would be safe. I took their advice, and while talking to the patrolman, we got on the topic of Garth. He said he really liked Garth's "Right Now", and said he'd just seen the special on tv. I showed him the picture I had of my daughter with Garth, and he was impressed to hear the stories of how nice and down-to-earth Garth was. He also told me a story about the black alligators there in Daphne, one that took a chunk out of his patrol car and bbit his tires! I knew I had to remember this place, Daphne, so I told Tiffany to write down the address, and I said well I can remember Daphne from "Scooby Doo!" But I got the address, and I think I'll be sending that man at the BP station a Christmas card...........I belive in angels..They show up in the last place you'd think of.....<P>Peace, Love, and God Bless.<BR>Amy :_)N

Pilgrim
12-15-1999, 09:53 PM
Great article :D<P>Thanks for sharing :D :D<P>BrianN

AZamy77
12-15-1999, 10:01 PM
I guess I did forget about the part where I was watching Crook and Chase, and when Garth said the winners were from Daphne, I said, "WHAT!!!!" :) I looked in my address book, and sure enough! When it was over, I had to rerun that tape over and over, not only because of that though. <P>I liked the part of the article you printed where Garth says,"In a year that's been this hard for me, it was nice to catch myself just laughing out of control."<P>I know this feeling. After losing my father, and then mother, I too found it hard, and would catch myself when I was laughing. Through all the heartache, I was laughing, and you know I never take it for granted anymore, because I never felt guilty for laughing like I did when I'd lost my parents.<BR>It's hard to really know when you'll laugh again. But that's me, and I think it's Garth too. God Bless Garth.N

BigGfan4life
12-16-1999, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the article. It sounds like those people had a really great time with Garth :)N

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
12-16-1999, 03:43 AM
Cheryl,<P>Thanks for the article. Sounds like all who attended had a great time, including Garth. How kind of the Tolers to share the event with the less fortunate in their community :)I say they really deserved this concert!<P>Amy,<P>I love reading your comments :) You are truly an inspiration :)<P>CCN

nelty
12-16-1999, 04:11 AM
That is so Cool..... :) That is my Garth moment for today(not really) I am so happy for those people..... :)I will Garth and so will the rest of his fans. :( <P>NellyN

AZamy77
06-10-2000, 02:14 AM
:o<P>This story is so very cool, I HAD to bring it back up for a pick-me-up. :) Also, it relates to another post I just pulled out of the dust. :)N

NJ4GARTH
06-10-2000, 02:58 AM
Hey thanks Amy,<P>Dang I didn't win it....LOL ;)<P>And what are you still doing up?<P>TomN