PDA

View Full Version : A Lot Of Nerve

jacsan1451
12-20-1999, 02:53 AM
My mother and I were discussing Garth's retirement after my mom was reading about it in our local paper. When she was reading me some of the lines from the article, there was one thing that really bothered me. I am not quoting this word for word but the idea of what was said is the following...."Nashville is very sad about the retirement of Garth Brooks because country record sales are on a decline and Brooks album sales were about 10% of this number..." <P> I think that after all Garth Brook's has done for country music in the last 10 years, I can't beleive Nashville would release a statement like that. They are not sad at the lose of a man who has given so much of himself to country music, all they are worried about is the number of sales and the $$$$$. I've watched many interviews and read many articles over the career of Garth stating that he has been very disgusted about the fact that many people have been more interested in the business end of country music instead of the music itself. The grand old elders of Nashville have dismissed Garth and his music many times by saying that he has gone to mainstream and strayed away from the roots of country. I don't blame Garth for getting out for a while. Too much BS in the business, and I think he would rather spend the time with his family. But, that's just my opinion. Jackie N

Pilgrim
12-20-1999, 02:58 AM
I know what you mean, but I think it is kinda his own fault.<P><BR>well, off from work! WOOOHOOO :D :D<P>BrianN

Snow
12-20-1999, 04:47 AM
Brian... calm down! *lol*<P>I think the only reason Garth was attacked by the Nashville establishment was because he didn't let them run his career and feed off of it like they have done to most others. Garth had the guts and the smarts to take care of his own business. A lot of the execs were pissed at this... and some of the artists were jealous of his sucess. I don't think he's to blame for that at all. I think he's a hero.<P>I'm sure it got tiring. Everytime someone came out with story about him he just turned the other cheek. When country music traditionalists made him out to be the satan that was taking away their beloved audiences they forgot that most of their audiences had left a long time ago. They looked at the millions of Garth fans and somehow in their minds they thought... hey.... he's stealing all the REAL country fans. Funny the things jealousy will do to you... because Garth probably brought them more fans than anything.<P>So I imagine that after the way they viciously turned on him after the Chris Gaines project he's more then tempted to call it quits.<P>We all know that the Chris Gaines CD didn't fail. It is a fantastic piece of work. The only reason it didn't do well was because there was so much weird press about it. The critics never said it wasn't good... they just went on about the fact that he was confusing people and that it was weird. I think that if these writers hadn't been churning out all this negative press the CD might have done a lot better. I think when the movie comes out that will actually pick up again. IT'S A GOOD CD.<P>NOW... if you were Garth. Wouldn't you finally feel like you've had enough?! He's poured a lot into music row and all he's gotten back is the disrespect of people that are living off of him. Put this on top of losing his mom and missing his family... *shaking my head*... well even the strongest man needs a break.<P>So Brian... I've put myself in your shoes and I understand why you're upset... and I REALLY hope both of us get to see our first (AND MAYBE ONLY) Garth concert this year... but... I don't think Garth has lied to you on purpose. I suppose you've never told someone you'd do something and then things happen that make you delay it or stop you from doing it? I know when you said you'd do it you mean't it.... but just couldn't. I think that's where Garth is now. I know from reading things hes said that he LOVED the European concerts and he wants to go back.<P>I think you may still have your wish... but try a little empathy please.N

deerhunter22
12-20-1999, 06:26 AM
hey snow I totally agree with you, If it wasn't for Garth I would have never listened to country music. But when I saw him preform I feel in love with his music and other artist,like Hank Jr., Merel Haggard,Waylon and Charlie Daniels. I think your right if it wasn't for Garth so many others wouldn't have listen to other artist. It's a shame that hes retiring, but country will survive, I hope....N

honky
12-20-1999, 07:38 AM
<B>Jackie</B>,<P>I know, it's not surprise Nashville would say things like that. Because Garth has too much power over his record label, he has the right to RELEASE or NOT RELEASE his songs to radio stations. Since his extraordinary selling is part of his own effort (not 100% record label's), his pending retirement will let down a lot of business. <P>Garth had said it earlier that "business is business, and there is no such thing as GOOD OL' BOY business" ;) <P>Me too, if it weren't for Garth, I wouldn't have KNOWN country for my whole life! Because of Garth, I bought other artists such as Reba (Brian's favorite!! :o), Tracy Byrd, Trisha, Mark Wills, Faith, Vince, Paul Brant, and Tim's. See, Garth should get partial credits!! <P>I think this the main reason that Nashville is concerning becasue of the LOW selling in country general. The business wants a man who can attract people to go to the store and pick up other artists.<P>TommyN

Pilgrim
12-20-1999, 11:26 AM
Haven't he said that his goal was to sell 100 million albums?<BR>So I really can't blame Capitol for saying that. He started it himself. (But I don't blame him for that goal)<BR>We have to face that music business today is all about money for the labels, also for Capitol.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>... and I REALLY hope both of us get to see our first (AND MAYBE ONLY) Garth concert this year<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I have seen him in concert :) 1994 in Germany.<BR>And that's why I want to see him just one more time.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>I don't think Garth has lied to you on purpose.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I do. Everytime he added a new show on the last tour he knew it would be impossible for him get overseas. He knew he had to give it a break sooner or later. AND he had plenty of chances to tell his European fans that he wouldn't come.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>I suppose you've never told someone you'd do something and then things happen that make you delay it or stop you from doing it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Honestly! Never! I just HATE this, so if I can see there will be a problwm I always tell it to the person/persons. :)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>I know from reading things hes said that he LOVED the European concerts and he wants to go back.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>If he love Europe so much, then why didn't he complete the "world tour"???<P>Brian :)N

Snow
12-21-1999, 04:21 AM
Well Brian I guess you have one up on me then. He never played in Alaska so I never had a chance to see him. Count yourself lucky. We did ask him for a charity event but his schedule didn't allow for it. This was before the video was made for "Standing Outside The Fire". Wouldn't it have been neat to have the video made around a fire on the arctic coast... icebergs... polar bears... the whole nine yards? Oh well... the video came out wonderful anyway.<P>Of course none of us like to postpone or break promises without an explaination. Being a mother and full time teacher there are many times that things come up and I have to rearrange or drop things that I really planned on doing. I do try to explain myself but it isn't always right at the moment that the conflict occurs.<P>Maybe one day we'll have another chance to ask him questions in another on-line chat. I'll be glad to stick your question in with mine to see if we can't get it through to him. :)<P>Anyway... there hasn't been a lot of time since the the announcement for Garth to answer all the questions I'm sure everyone has. As far as I know there hasn't been any further news releases or anything. Give him a chance.N

Pilgrim
12-21-1999, 11:55 AM
Very cool idea Snow :D :D That would have been awesome to make "Standing..." in the middle of the snow :)<P>why didn't he play in Alaska? Have he played on Hawaii?<BR>Denmark asked him to come over to promote "Sevens" because it was close to gold, but he didn't have time to that either :(<BR>Oh well.<P>Brian :)N

Snow
12-21-1999, 02:48 PM
Well Brian... there were quite a few US States he didn't get to play. I wish he could have played in Alaska because it costs so much to leave the state to go anywhere for a concert. He probably didn't play Alaska because even in Anchorage (the largest city) there isn't a really big arena or anything... plus the shipping cost for all the band and equipment would have been huge... then also the population isn't as large as some states. Where people might drive for several of the lower 48 States to see Garth... it would have been really hard for them to drive to Alaska. The weather is always a factor as well.<P>As for Hawaii I think a lot of the same problems. Travel and shipping costs... and the fact that it would be hard for people to travel there from other states.<P>Anyway... now I'm down in the lower 48 states and it looks like I won't ever get to see Garth in concert. :( Plus now that I'm teaching and the sole provider for my family I can't afford to travel to see him much. I had just always hoped there might come a day when all the fates would come together and I'd get my chance. :(<P>Well... I'm going to keep my hopes up. It will be meant to happen or not. I can only flow with the river. :)<P>Hey... maybe Garth will get to do his European tour one day in the future... and maybe I will win the lottery by then and I can go too. Save me a seat Brian.<P>Keep the faith! *HUGS*<BR>-DebN

G-man
12-21-1999, 05:17 PM
Pilgrim, stop you're griping and get over it, ok. I'm sick of hearing it. :) I don't care what Nashville thinks. They can kiss my ass for all I care. They don't care about the music, they just want their $$$. They don't care about the sound or quality of the music. They're worried about the sound of those cash registers. If they would stop doing what they think will bring more people into country, and focus on the music, then they could. I think Garth brought alot of people into country because he is focused on his music. Sure, he is a good marketer but I don't think that is why so many like him. I buy an artists albums because of the music, not because of the way they look, act, ect. I agree that sales with decline with his retiring, but I really don't care as long as the music is good. I know this may not make sense to some, but this is how I feel.N

Pilgrim
12-21-1999, 08:55 PM
G-man :)<P>I wont stop, not before he fullfill his PROMISE!<BR>But ok, you don't understand, you literaly live in his backyard compared to me :)<P>BrianN

Pilgrim
12-21-1999, 08:56 PM
Snow!<P>THANKS :D<P>BrianN