PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu

FLAFAN
12-19-1999, 04:57 AM
<BR>If I had enough hands to count on fingers how many artists have "retired" and "returned from retirement"...<P>Don't fret, everybody. He'll be around for a long time, but might stay off the road for a while. Nothing to worry about! :O)N

kristen166
12-19-1999, 12:08 PM
Actually I have never heard of a singer announce a retirement like Garth is, normally they just disapear for a while. Announcing a retirment is big among athletes but singers normally stick a album out then stop if they want. N

wmcinnis
12-19-1999, 02:31 PM
This is true, they don't usually announce their retirement in this way but when you think about it someone as big as Garth can't just stop without making some kind of announcement. That's alright for singers that are fairly new to just fade away but not someone who has a zillion fans behind him :)<BR>I give him alot of credit for how he's handling this. He's A CLASS ACT and deep down I know he'll be back :)<BR>-Susan-N

Pilgrim
12-19-1999, 08:34 PM
Actually Springsteen announced his "retirement" from the E Street Band in 1989, because he wanted to take care of his family :)<BR>He has since managed to do all three things perfectly fine :D<BR>1. Taking care of family<BR>2. Making new albums<BR>3. Touring<P>BrianN

loreli
12-19-1999, 09:03 PM
Let's hope Garth can find that kind of balance for his life. :) :)<P>LoriN

jacsan1451
12-20-1999, 03:00 AM
I agree with Lori. I really don't think Garth will retire for good I think he is just looking for balance in his life. I could just imagine what living his life must be like. Being famous and every move you make or don't make is in the public eye. I think he just needs time to put things in perspective. If it takes 10 minutes or 10 years I think we should give Garth the time to do what he has to do. But, when he comes back, I will be there cheering him on. Jackie N

FLAFAN
12-20-1999, 03:12 AM
Springsteen is a good example. Then there was The Who. In 1982 they mounted a huge "farewell" tour & a few years later reunited, retired as a band again, then got back together for other projects.<P>Garth has been in this position before. A few years ago he was on Leno and mentioned that when this is no longer fun OR when it begins to impeed on his family life & had to choose, he'd throw in the towel. He did NOT say he was quitting, just made his stance clear, but the press came out and said he announced he was leaving show biz. Even now, Garth still intends to record and work, even though he said he wants to retire at the end of 2000. How can you continue to work AND be retired? He probably means he doesn't want to go back on marathon tours and keep up the pace he has over the last 10 years. <P>There is a list of performers who "retire" & come back that is miles long, but I'll just compare a few. Trust me, I've been in this biz since I was able to change the dial on the TV & radio!<P>A huge star of his time, David Cassidy, had the same problem in 1974. Tired of the image of "Keith Partridge" and everyone's expectations that he was that character and should perform as "Keith", he announced he would no longer perform concerts. HOWEVER the headlines said he was "retiring" which was not true. He has continued to record albums and perform in musicals all the way into 1999 and on into 2000 & beyond! He was credited for bringing "showmanship" back to Las Vegas recently, BUT because not all of his projects did as well as others or because he wasn't in the Top 10 on the charts or because he had no scandal or contoversy following him, he was listed as "away from showbiz", "retired", "where is he now?", etc...he's busier now than he was when he was part of "mainstream consciousness"!<P>Naomi Judd said she was leaving the business in 1992. I still see her on TV & hear her name quite a bit regarding new projects. She might not be doing concerts anymore, but she's still active! <P>More currently, Celine Dion announced she was going to "retire" YET in the same breath mentioned upcoming music projects she has planned. "Retire" is a severely abused & misused word. She may not be performing concerts again anytime soon, but by no means will be "retired" with so many projects and aspirations on the table.<P>Same goes for Garth. You might not be able to line up before dawn to buy tickets for his next concert anytime soon, but you will have plenty of music, film & TV appearances to look forward to for a long time to come. Don't delete the "TV Appearances" & "New Releases" files just yet! :O) N

Hawk7lte
12-20-1999, 02:57 PM
Hey Flafan (Kevin);<P>(non-Garth moment rest can skip)<P>Went to your website. Love your photos of trains. Course it helps that I love trains too - the sounds, the meaning, the history...good, bad and neutral...have you thought of a book?<P>One of my all time favorite train rides was from England to Scotland then back down to Wales. The company was great too - teenagers from all over the world....and one tres elegant lady in black and pearls surrounded by men in black suits (hmmmm). What a relaxed, fun way to travel - and your photos brought all that to mind. <P>Thanks for including your website on your registration.<P>Hawk N

Chris Gaines
12-20-1999, 03:24 PM
Another few Groups/people in the music industry that "retired" and came back.<P>The Eagles.. look at them now :)<BR>Don Henley said at the 1st concert back, "We didn't retire, we just took a 15 year vacation" LOL<P>Pink Floyd.. "Retired" (they haven't been on tour since 1995ish..no new album in a long while either) but look for them to hit the stage after the new mellinnium. (I can almost guarentee it!<P>T.L.C. "retired" after 2 albums, and a bad record deal that put them in bankruptcy. Since... last year they released a new album called "Fanmail" that went to #1 on Billboard charts, and a few #1 singles and videos!<P>I could keep going.. but the list is endless. Most artist will announce a "retirement" to the public just for spite because of their fans. (And also could help in Album sales and ticket sales for concerts. But the best thing about Music people is ... they can always do it.. even in their 60's (unlike sports), so as long as they feel they can do it.. it's up to them to "walk away from the game". With Sports you just simply can't go on after a certain age, when that time comes, it's over. :)<P>So time is on Garth's side... :)<P>JasonN