PDA

View Full Version : Today's Article from the Tennessan

Monica Lockhart
12-16-1999, 05:52 PM
Though I would share this with you....interesting :) <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>Published by<BR>The Tennessean<BR>Thursday, 12/16/99<P>Search our site by keyword<BR>. Making a Difference<P>The following article appeared in Roughstock.com site:<P>Garth Brooks announces he may retire<P>By Tom Roland / Tennessean Staff Writer Garth Brooks' revelation yesterday<BR>that he may retire at the end of next year generated concern -- and shrugs of<BR>skepticism on Music Row. Though acknowledging the void such a departure would<BR>create, music executives were unconvinced the singer would actually walk away<BR>from the business. "He's been insinuating he's going to retire for a while,"<BR>said Connie Bradley, head of the Nashville division of ASCAP, which<BR>represents Brooks as a songwriter. "I won't believe it until the end of next<BR>year."<P>Even Pat Quigley, the head of Capitol Records, Brooks' recording home,<BR>expressed doubts. "I'm not 100% confident Garth's leaving," he admitted.<BR>"Only Garth can make the decision." Still, there is legitimate reason for<BR>concern.<P>Brooks, the best-selling artist in the history of country music, represented<BR>a significant 11.7% of sales within the genre during 1998. If he does leave<BR>the industry, Brooks will leave a gaping hole.<P>"Somebody's got to wake up in the morning on Music Row and figure out: Who do<BR>we put in that spot, and how quickly do we get them selling multi-platinum<BR>records," said Ed Benson, executive director of the Country Music<BR>Association. "Over the last decade, he's the artist who had the most sales<BR>impact in our business, and maybe in music."<P>Brooks has teased with talk of retirement before. Following the birth of his<BR>first daughter in July 1992, Brooks publicly mulled retirement for the first<BR>time.<P>"The actual thought of retirement, just getting out for good, is very much in<BR>the picture right now because this daughter needs a father, and my wife needs<BR>a partner to help raise her," Brooks said before a concert in Phoenix that<BR>summer.<P>In the spring of 1994, he again talked about taking a 2-1/2-year hiatus from<BR>domestic touring and from recording, but by the end of 1995, he had a new<BR>album, Fresh Horses. And during that 19 months, he also released The Hits<BR>with an all-out publicity campaign. Plenty of entertainment figures have<BR>talked about retirement, only to return to the spotlight after a period of<BR>time away. Among them: Elton John, Tina Turner, The Who, Magic Johnson and<BR>Muhammad Ali.<P>"A guy who's been as active and as aggressive and as smart as Garth has, I<BR>can't see somebody like that staying retired for a long, long time," the<BR>CMA's Benson predicted. "My guess is he will re-emerge. It may not be in<BR>music. He tried sports, he tried an alter ego, he's in the movie business. He<BR>may pop up as a movie director.<P>"I don't think somebody that's been that active and been that much a public<BR>figure can just stay retired. I think he'll take a break, but I would expect<BR>we'll see Garth again somewhere, somehow."<P>Benson praised Brooks for increasing the potential of a country singer.<BR>Brooks reached unprecedented levels in album sales and concert ticket sales,<BR>and marketed his music in ways never before attempted by a country performer.<BR>In the process, he wrestled a huge amount of control over his recordings away<BR>from Capitol Records. "Ten years ago, no one in this town would have thought<BR>an artist would be bigger than his record company," Benson said.<P>"I can't imagine our world without Garth," ASCAP's Bradley added. "Garth is<BR>the most well-known person in country music. I can go to New York or anywhere<BR>and everyone knows who Garth is. That's not true of everyone on the charts.<BR>We've gained a lot of teenage listeners and record buyers because of Garth."<BR>If he retires, Brooks' departure would have a huge impact on his stable of<BR>favorite songwriters.<P>A No. 1 Garth Brooks single is worth "several hundred thousand dollars," said<BR>songwriter Victoria Shaw, a co-writer on his hits The River and She's Every<BR>Woman. Even a Brooks album cut, she said, makes the same royalties for a<BR>songwriter as a No. 1 single for most country artists.<P>Perhaps as importantly, his loss would affect the quality of the music on<BR>country radio, she suggested.<P>Brooks faced difficulty finding a co-writer to assist when he created If<BR>Tomorrow Never Comes, which hinges on the topic of death. The Thunder Rolls<BR>and Pa- pa Loved Mama dealt with domestic issues, and We Shall be Free<BR>demonstrated for interracial marriages and homosexual relationships. "Garth<BR>is one of the people cutting the most interesting songs, and that's what<BR>makes me sad," Shaw said. "It's one down for people with guts to say<BR>something interesting and push the envelope."<P>Even if Brooks goes through with retirement, he's still working through the<BR>end of the year. A script is currently being written for The Lamb, the movie<BR>that will feature Brooks' much-publicized role as pop singer Chris Gaines.<BR>And Brooks plans to release a country album in time for Christmas 2000,<BR>Quigley said.<P>Brooks represents more than 50% of the revenue for Capitol's country<BR>division, Quigley said. Thus, the loss of Brooks could represent a<BR>significant jolt to the label.<P>Quigley plans to increase the Capitol roster -- which includes Steve Wariner,<BR>Deana Carter, Trace Adkins and Keith Urban -- from six acts to about 10 in<BR>the next year to help broaden his sales base. And, he emphasized, even if<BR>Brooks stops touring and halts recording, Capitol still has the ability to<BR>put new titles on the market. Quigley compared Brooks' career to that of The<BR>Beatles, a Capitol pop act who continue to place new products in stores<BR>nearly 30 years after their breakup. In addition to a pair of double-album<BR>greatest-hits packages, the group's popularity was mined in recent years<BR>through a series of Antholo- gy albums that featured outtakes and previously<BR>unreleased tracks.<P>"We have a lot of Garth catalog initiatives and unreleased tapes," Quigley<BR>said. "There are so many things you can do. He could be a very viable act for<BR>the next 10 years."<P>But most on Music Row suspect Quigley will not be left to that scenario. Most<BR>doubt Brooks will be able to retire completely. "I don't mean to sound blase,<BR>but I'll believe it when I see it," songwriter Shaw said. "I think he has too<BR>much passion for the stage."<P>Staff writer Brad Schmitt contributed to this report. Tom Roland writes about<BR>music for The Tennessean. He can be reached at 259-8041, or at<BR>troland@tennessean.com. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>N

majmom
12-17-1999, 02:03 AM
Thanks for posting the article, Monica. VERY interesting!<P>KerryN

loreli
12-17-1999, 05:11 AM
Wow, Monica that is very interesting!! <P>We could have Garth's music without Garth. I wonder how he would feel about that?<P>And if Capitol did fall, who would have the rights to all that unreleased music?<P>Very interesting!! :)<P>LoriN

kristen166
12-17-1999, 03:34 PM
Thanks very interesting indeed, I am going to go with what music row is saying I will not fully believe Garth will be done until I see it. I actually think that Garth will just slow down incredbly, like the person in the article said he has a passion for it and when you have a passion for something you will find a way to have both and you will not care much on the numbers just as long as your get to do it a little but. But who knows.N

Peggy H
12-17-1999, 08:07 PM
What amazes me most about Music Row and the article, is that for years they tried to down play Garth and what he has done for country music. But boy when they realize he might go then they admit to the void in sales and music quality. And that he is responsible for where country is today!N