PDA

View Full Version : Twas' the Week Before Christmas....

Snow
12-15-1999, 02:30 PM
Twas the week before Christmas<BR>When all through my home<BR>Preparations were underway for a Yuletide of Glee...<BR>And then I logged onto PG...<P>I clicked on the forum...<BR>And saw such unrest did I see that I scrolled down through the topics<BR>To see what I could see...<P>Garth made a comment on Crook & Chase it seems<BR>And all my Garthbuddies are having bad dreams.<P>Could it be?<BR>Has the Grinch stole my Christmas?<BR>I blinked my eyes, sure that my eyes did not see...<BR>Garth could NOT do such a thing to ME!<P>I sat and I thought... and I thought some more.<BR>Why now? I read on down...<BR>Some are mad... just like me<BR>Some are hurt ... just like me<BR>Some understand... just like me<P>I pull out my CD's... maybe to hear The Dance<BR>Hoping to hear something that made sense<BR>That would calm my fear... and take me out of this trance.<P>When what to my amazed ears should I hear...<BR>It's Garth singing...<P><I>Though I did not know the language <BR>The song was Silent Night <BR>Then I heard my buddy whisper <BR>"All is calm, all is bright" <BR>Then the fear and doubt surrounded me <BR>Cause I die if I was wrong <BR>But I stood up in my trench <BR>And I began to sing along</I><P>And I think back and I remember a story I once heard...<BR>Something about a Silent Night and Garth's Mamma to be sure...<P><I>"Well, traveling wasn't easy, but there came a point when we knew we were gonna make it. And my wife looked over at me, and she said, 'You're gonna see your momma for Christmas, aren't ya?'<P>"And, I remember when we walked through that door, and amidst the tears of joy and cries of laughter, I heard 'Silent Night' coming over the radio. I'll never forget that Christmas or that Christmas song."</I><P><BR>That song! That song!<BR>Silent Night I cry... <BR>It's just what I need to get me through this night...<P>So Garthbuddies I ask that you do one thing with me...<BR>Stand in your trenches and sing it loud and free...<BR>Let Garth hear that we have learned...<BR>That the The Dance is what matters and he's given us all a turn.<P>So now my post is through...<BR>And I call out as I crank up the tunes and decorate the tree... thinking how much I love this site.<P>MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL... and TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.N

no1cowgirl
12-15-1999, 02:43 PM
Great poem! *L* I love it!<P>KristaN

BigGfan4life
12-15-1999, 03:34 PM
Your poem made me cry. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing :o :( :)N

jwade
12-15-1999, 03:36 PM
Thank you, Snow. I wish I could write poetry that way. You expressed everything I've been feeling since I got on PG.<P>JeriN

jwade
12-15-1999, 03:37 PM
Oops. I meant since I got on PG tonight & read the news!! I'm still in shock.N

Jen19
12-15-1999, 04:23 PM
You just put me too tears !!<P>That was too perfect. You said it all in a beautful poem. Great job !!<P>Thanks<BR> JenN

majmom
12-15-1999, 04:34 PM
AWESOME, [b]Snow[/b}<P>I agree - let's SHOW GARTH WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED - and THANK HIM FOR OUR TURN TO DANCE...<P>*Tears*<P>KerryN

Cheryl
12-15-1999, 04:40 PM
somebody please pass the puffs..... :(<P>N

Snow
12-15-1999, 04:52 PM
Thank you all...<P>But if you think you're blubbering... you should see me when I remembered and went searching for that quote from Garth about his favorite Christmas memory...<P>If you don't remember the whole quote...<BR>This is it...<P><I>"I remember my favorite Christmas - it was 1987," says Garth. "My wife, Sandy, and I were heading back home to Oklahoma for our first Christmas since we moved to Nashville. The problem was all the roads were frozen with snow and ice, and they closed them all. And just when we thought we weren't gonna get home, the sun broke through.<BR>"Well, traveling wasn't easy, but there came a point when we knew we were gonna make it. And my wife looked over at me, and she said, 'You're gonna see your momma for Christmas, aren't ya?'<P>"And, I remember when we walked through that door, and amidst the tears of joy and cries of laughter, I heard 'Silent Night' coming over the radio. I'll never forget that Christmas or that Christmas song."</I><P><BR>I'm willing to share my industrial sized puffs with all my Garthbuddies... N

Teach
12-15-1999, 07:54 PM
What a great poem. It really expressed what we are all feeling. However, I for one am not going to panic about this just yet. Ten months is a long time and I truly feel that after things settle down and GB has had time to spend with his family, he will realize that retirement is not the answer. Touring all the time is not the answer either. But there is always a middle road. Also if GB is not happy, how will he make his family happy and I just don't think he can be happy without his music.N

RckyMtnGirl@hrt
12-15-1999, 08:05 PM
Snow,<P>Wonderful words! Now could you please pass me one of your industrial sized puffs dear...sniff...<P>Thanks :)<P>CCN

loreli
12-15-1999, 08:41 PM
Snow,<P>That was really good. I am not going to panic either. ANYTHING could happen in a year.<P>LoriN

Garthahaulik
12-15-1999, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the well placed BELLEAU WOOD quote it brought back my smile that goes on for miles with no inclunation to romeN

Garthahaulik
12-15-1999, 09:12 PM
I loved every word of the week before Christmas and it moved me out of my depress and into the music thank twice a loved it N

Garthahaulik
I loved every word of the week before Christmas and it moved me out of my depress and into the music thanks twice a loved it N

Garthahaulik
I loved every word of the week before Christmas and it moved me out of my depress and into the music thanks twice a loved it N

Pilgrim
12-15-1999, 10:50 PM
WONDERFULL, absolutely BRILLIANT!! :'-)<BR>*LOL*<P>BrianN

AZamy77
12-15-1999, 11:24 PM
Snow, I haven't been able to make a post about Garth retiring until I read your poem.<BR>I can't even imagine a world without Garth, and reading about this on all of the news wires from CNN to The New York Times, to the local news is really hitting me hard. It's like the part where Garth said "Silent Night" was playing when he got to his parents home. I'm crying my eyes out after rading that. Garth is hurting. He is thinking about his children in an entirely different way since he lost his Mom. He still cares about the music and his fans, but in the end, he wants his children to remember that he was there for them. Life is short, and you don't ralize that until you lose someone who is like your lifeline. He did say his mother was the reason for the music, and now that she's gone, so is Garth. I thank God he is the man he is, and not afraid to show his emotions. He has taught us all alot about life with his music, and now he's teaching us that FAMILY is what's important to him. So I thank him for the memories, and I hope he can spend lots of time making his children laugh, and teach 'em to play baseball! I wish the best for the Brooks family. Our hero is their father, husband, son, and brother. They all need him right now. I could see the tears welling in his eyes. He doesn't want to miss a minute with his girls. God Bless, Garth.<BR>You are not gone though, you are in all of our hearts and prayers. Your Mom is with you still.<P>Peace, Love, and God Bless.<BR>Amy N

Snow
12-16-1999, 01:02 AM
Amy... *BIG HUGS*.... I know...<P>I kept thinking about what a Silent Night it is for Garth this year without his mother to go home to... He's so lucky he'll have his girls, Sandy, and his Dad to pull him through if he lets them.<P>I'm also thinking about Garth not singing anymore and what a silent night it would be for so many without his music.... but I don't think it will really happen.<P>Wouldn't it be great if we could all get together and sing 'Silent Night' for GARTH this year. He always said it was the greatest gift for a performer to have the fans singing your songs back at you.... Well it's sort of his song... it's his favorite Christmas song.... we could give him a gift like that. Let him know we understand and that we're with him.N

AbsoluteNJGarthNut
12-16-1999, 06:36 AM
***sniffle****<P>****H***O******N******K********<P>(good thing for those industrial strength puffs!!)<P>Snow,<P>Very well put! It's amazing how we are all feeling the same thing, and all express it in different ways.<P>God Bless Garth and his Family!<P>KarinN

Teddi Jo
12-16-1999, 02:01 PM
Snow - beautiful ! Nice to see you back among your friends @ PG ! I was a little sad & mad, to hear the news, too but just hoping Garth is doing what is best for him & his family and what will make him happy. I think he deserves to be happy after all he's given of himself through the years. And I'll be waiting for that comeback tour !N

TIFF4GARTH
12-16-1999, 09:36 PM
Thank You Snow for that beautiful poem of yours. I cannot express how deeply sad I am to hear that Garth is thinking of retirement. This being especially since I haven't had the AMAZING PLEASURE of going to see him in concert since I am only l7. :( But, Garth just needs this time off to do some cleansing, and evaluating what's important to him. He's taught us many lessons about life, death, and everything in-between. He's inspired us all immensely with everything he sings about and talks about. Like my Mom said (AZamy77), since his Mother is gone, so is he. Well, not technically, but emotionally it feels that way. I'm glad we all understand him, and his decision, though it is very sad and is tearing me up. :( But, I do know, that it's not the end of Garth, or his music. I know in my heart, that after a break (if he even does take one), he'll return to music. He's got to-it's in his blood...it fuels him...it keeps him going...it makes him the man we all love. All I can say, is that although this is a sullen moment, I want Garth to do what is best for him and his family. He's been going and going and GOING all this time, and it's time for rest, and recollection of value of life, and family. Whatever he does, it will be right. "Silent Night....Sleep tight. Know that Garth will be Alright. Wish on a star Tonight, in hopes everything will be Bright." <P>God Bless. <BR>Tiffany :) :( (Mixed Emotions!!!)N

AZamy77
12-16-1999, 09:55 PM
Snow ~ {{HUGS}} to you too, and all PGers at this time.....We can all sing "Silent Night" in our own PG way....I'll start......<BR>Silent night, holy night<BR>All is calm, all is bright....<P>Tiffany ~ Very nice post, daughter...may you feel the love from me that I felt from my parents. This is what Garth wants for his children also. <P>Let's sing here, all! :)<BR>Sleep in heavenly peace.........<BR>God Bless.<BR>Amy<P>N

Loni_mmg
12-17-1999, 05:35 AM
Well, I thought the water works were over until I read this poem. It is beautiful. <P>Loni :(N

~CanGarth#1Fan~
12-17-1999, 08:09 AM
Hi GarthGang<BR>Sure would like to borrow those Puffs :(**sniff** :( <BR>I too am very upset because i cannot imagine life without Garth ans his songs. Something will be missing. :O<BR>But on the other hand He deserve this time off because he gave us Ten long years and sacrificed his family!!! We will be waiting for him when he comes back...<P>**More puffs please**<BR>Silent Night <BR>Holy Night<BR>All is calm..........<BR>Gin :)N

Snow
12-17-1999, 03:19 PM
Thanks for all you comments about the poem. I had no idea it would touch so many when I wrote it. I was just trying to work out my feelings and it came out the way it did.<P>I find myself thinking about Garth all through the day lately. Nothing weird mind you... just stray thoughts here and there. I was mostly thinking about how he must be feeling about all this.<P>Then today as I was listening to Chris Gaines... and I remembered someone here posting about IDMTTS. I've never really listened hard to that song before. It never grabbed me. So I decided to give it my attention on the ride home... and it almost did me in.<P>I kept thinking how cool it would be for the fans to sing it to him. Well... it wouldn't be all that cool if I was doing the singing because I don't have a great voice... but you get the idea.N

azyankee
12-17-1999, 09:30 PM
Okay, <B>Snow...</B><BR>I hope you ordered those industrial strength Puffs wholesale! This is the first time I've actually teared up!<P>Thank you for the heartfelt emotions! I needed to hear that!!!<P>"All is calm...<BR>All is bright..."<P>~Yankee<BR>"As long as one heart still holds on, hope is never really gone"N

kissthefuture
12-18-1999, 09:12 AM
SNOW,<BR>YOU ARE INSANE! WHY WOULD YOU WRITE A POEM ABOUT THIS?!<P>By the way...how did you get the nickname snow? N

Pilgrim
12-18-1999, 10:49 AM
<B>kissthefuture</B><P>GET OUT OF HERE!!!<P>Snow is sooo cool and nice, and I don't think you should flame her for stating her opinion or making poems.<P>YOU kissthefuture, are the one and only who looks insane to me.<P>BrianN

1BSB_GBfan
12-18-1999, 11:35 AM
that was really beautiful! It made me cry and that says exactly what I feel! Thanks!<BR>God Bless!N

Snow
12-18-1999, 01:07 PM
Thank you Brian (Pilgrim)... <P>Twas' the Week Before Christmas was just something that I wrote off the top of my head and right out of my heart. It may be corny but it's mine.<P>I knew true Garthnutts would get it... I'm not worried about someone that seems to just be out to get some reaction to his posts. He's entitled to his opinion but it is of little consequence to me as long as the rest of you understand it. Garth taught me that. :)N

wmcinnis
12-18-1999, 05:14 PM
Sniffle, Sniffle...Excellent Poem Snow :)<BR>I also have very mixed emotions about this, I almost feel a sense of loss already, if that makes sense :(<P>Silent Night, Holy Night<BR>All is Calm, All is Bright...<BR>-Susan-<BR>N

NJ4GARTH
12-19-1999, 07:25 AM
<B>SNOW,</B><BR> Wow that is very good. Especially for just of the top of your head. <P>TOM<P>Brian very well said!!!!!!!N

Millennium
12-19-1999, 07:42 AM
Great poem snow. I was brought to tears again. <P>Millennium :)N

Snow
12-21-1999, 08:10 PM
I just had to bring this topic to the top again to wish you all a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)<P>Plus I wanted to see those cute little flames Brandon has added to the folders... isn't that NEAT?!<P>VERY COOL BRANDON!<BR>-DebN

AZamy77
12-22-1999, 11:21 AM
Let's keep them flames burnin'! I've just listened to Belleau Wood about 10 times. so I think we need to sing here.....*Amy*<P>Silent night<BR>Holy night.......N

NJ4GARTH
12-25-1999, 09:21 AM
Hey Snow,<BR> Just heard <B>"Belleau Woods"</B> on radio here at work and thought I'd revisit this page at PG. Thanks for the memories!!!!!!! :)<BR>And <B>MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and to all a GOOD NIGHT</B><P>TOMN

fuzzwuzz55
12-25-1999, 06:01 PM
I'm here in my trench and even though it's cold and dark all around me, all is calm and all is bright...Merry Christmas to all! DaleN

LVGB4EVER
12-26-1999, 01:19 PM
:)<B>Very Cool Snow</B> :)<P>I loved it!!<P>Take Care<BR>Sue ;)N