PDA

View Full Version : Mad at God?

jaredev
03-30-2000, 07:39 AM
I just heard this comment on the radio. They said it was from TV Guide...<P>This is not an exact quote, but as close as possible:<BR>Since the death of Garth's Mom, Garth has been mad at God!<P>Also, he says he doesn't feel like doing anything...even playing music...even being happy!<P>Wow, I thought those were some strong quotes. I know religion is taboo to talk about, but I find it hard to believe that Garth is actually MAD at God.<P>Be happy Garth! :)N

pldrw
03-30-2000, 08:10 AM
He said some of that on Queen Latifah show but no that he was mad at God!! But you know tv Guide they alway blow things out of porportion!!N

honky
03-30-2000, 08:52 AM
Umm... mad at god... maybe Garth thinks it's still unfair that Mama Brooks has passed away :(<P>Sorry.. I don't know much about religion, so I don't know if it's alright to be mad at god.<P><BR>TommyN

Anonymous
03-30-2000, 09:48 AM
Garth did talk about being mad at God on Queen Latifah. She then told him that her brother died 8 years ago and for quite sometime after that she felt the same way. It was a little bit of therapy for Garth. Hopefully it'll help him. I know that I want to see him happy again!N

apple31
03-30-2000, 10:12 AM
anyone know what issue of tv guide?N

loreli
03-30-2000, 11:00 AM
I can understand what he means. It's human nature to find someone to blame. It won't last forever. He's just hurting very badly, he'll soon realize that God is holding him in His hands.<P>Lori<BR>N

Pilgrim
03-30-2000, 11:02 AM
*ROFLMAO* That is too funny :D :D<P>Some years ago a person in Arizona actually sued God....... and WON the case!!!!!!!!!!<P>In America everything is possible ;)<P>Well, I don't believe in god so I couldn't care less :o<BR>Maybe he should be a little realistic for once :)<P>BrianN

MelMalovesGB4eva
03-30-2000, 11:07 AM
I agree when there is no one else to blame, people often look for someone to blame and often times that is God. <P>I can say honestly that I get mad at God often and that's just for minor things in the grand scheme of life. I'm sure I'd feel the same if I'd lost someone close to me. Thankfully, I haven't yet experienced that. N

MissScarlett
03-30-2000, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I think it's very easy to get mad at God. I do a lot. But I don't think it makes you a bad person because of it. And I'm sure God understands, because He knows that we aren't capable of understanding everything that happens in life. With time I'm sure Garth will understand and realize that his mother is in a much better place now. :)<P>Margaret :)N

Hawk7lte
03-30-2000, 11:58 AM
When I was young I was attacked by a gang while alone. A young man who belonged to the gang stopped the attack by standing against the others and taking the position that, "this is wrong".<P>I was mad at God (the only time) that such a thing could happen. It took me awhile to fully realize that I should have praised our Lord (and that young man) rather than being angry - the help I needed was sent. I determined to be as much like that young man as I could. A positive turning point in my life.<P><BR>Hawk N

hugeGBnutt
03-30-2000, 12:39 PM
well i think its a normal thing, plus if you saw the way he said it then you would see that it was not as bad as it sounds, Queen L. asked Garth if he believed in God and Garth said "Oh, all my gifts are from God, but i've never been further from God then i am RIGHT NOW...i'm mad" ......so i don't think its really a big deal, after all you would not he happy if someone you loved had died.....i'm sure he'll be fine after awhile, and his faith will probably help him in the long run! :)<P>aRi N

BlueRose
03-30-2000, 02:07 PM
I'm sure that anyone who has lost a loved one who meant as much to them as Garth's Mother did to him, understands just how easy it is to get angry at God and to question why he would take that someone away. I know of what I speak, because I've been there...still there some days. But, as Latifah put it, it's okay because God still loves him.<P>In time, the anger and despair will diminish and while the pain will always be there, he will find the way to deal with it better. As long as Garth continues to talk about his feelings, things will get better.<P>Cheryl<BR>N

SweetGBFan
03-30-2000, 03:20 PM
I agree that it is okay to get mad at God. And Im sure he understands what Garth is feeling, but I cringe when I see him say that he is farther away from God now than ever. If Garth is a religious person, which I think he is, he needs to lean on God for comfort. That is a way for him to heal. I wish I could talk to him and tell him to let go and let God. I know as a Christian that I look for comfort in the Lord even when I am mad at him. I hope that Garth heals very fast and I will be praying for him. I would hate to see him give up everything for the wrong reasons. If he is retiring for his family then I understand and support his decision, but if he is just giving up because hes hurting then he really needs our prayers that he makes a right decision.N

BLL
03-30-2000, 03:40 PM
SweetGB...<P>I do agree with you, but as someone who buried both parents in a space of less than two years, I can totally relate to what Garth is feeling. My Mom and I WERE close, and I feel her loss acutely daily; my Dad and I were at each other's throats my entire life; his loss was much more painful, and I had found myself railing at God for being so cruel. (I've buried at least 1 close family member a year since 1977) As close as I was to Mum, I am like my Dad, and the hurt is sometimes intense. Garth needs time to heal; I think he feels fragmented by his mother's loss. I truly think stepping back from such a demanding career and focussing on the ones he loves will do a world of good for him.<P>It's been less than a year since he lost his mum; I lost mine nearly 5 years ago, and there are times the loss is so acute and so sharp it cuts like a knife through your emotions. God cares for all his children and He will let Garth heal and return to the fold.N

Alawishes
03-30-2000, 03:49 PM
Actually come to think of it, I saw that part of the interview and Garth didn't say he was mad at God, Quenn said she gets mad a God and Garth said something, not that he was mad but someting and she goes that si wht cool you can get mad a God.<P>Actually I think that is why Garth is so busy lately, he may have had the anticapation of retiring for family in December but time as went on for him and he don't want to stop partly to do with his Mother's death. I don't think stopping everything he does, every single aspect of entertaining will be good for him. I think trying to live a normal life will eat him up right now. Obvious he would do that right now and not in a year if that was the case and what he felt he needed. I don't think he knows though. If him wanting to retire is because his Mothers death then really I don't think he will retire, his mother was asked once if she thought her son would ever hang up his singing career and she said no she don't think he will because she can see in him that he needs his music. I think he will be fine. His mother was the last person probally who didn't want to see him quit singing. As a parent when you die do yu want your kids to through their lives away and stop doing things they love and be sad forever??? I don't want that to happen for my kids when I die.N

Hawk7lte
03-30-2000, 03:55 PM
BLL;<P>Like you both of my parents have passed. I was especially close to my father who was an extrodinary human being in lots of ways. I was angry at him for leaving and it took awhile to realize and accept that too. For a long time even after his passing - I didn't want to really let go....until in a dream he asked me to and I really had to face up to how it was better for him though hard for me.<P>My mother's passing was more devastating to the family as a unit.....it is the mother who holds the family together.<P><BR>HawkN

GRTH FAN
03-30-2000, 07:48 PM
It would take quite awhile to get over something like that, but someday he will realize that she's in good hands and not suffering anymore! I'm sure she's looking down at Garth and the family, and want's them to be Happy!<BR>YOUR FANS ARE WITH YOU GARTH!!<BR>Donna (Smile a little smile for me! :) Garth)N

smitten
03-30-2000, 10:45 PM
Very interesting reading guys.<BR>I can only imagine (and don't really want to) what it is like to lose a parent.<P>I would imagine it would be like your world just falling apart.<P>I am told by friends who have been through this experience, that the pain never goes away, it just lessens with time.<P>Time is what Garth needs at the moment, to work through this, and like the comments posted, feel that he is "keeping Busy" because it is probable easier than being alone with his pain.<P>I trust that his faith will carry him through, because, as Garth nows, through him all things are possible.<P>AnaN

zulu
03-30-2000, 10:48 PM
I can understand exactly where Garth is coming from. I can honestly say "Been there done that". Thirteen years have gone by and i'm still bl**** angry and mad at God.<P>I don't think that will ever change, at least not for me anyway :( <P>ZuluN

thedance_2000
04-01-2000, 09:58 AM
Mad at god?<BR>Unfourtantley I am all to familair in how this can effect people. Once my father was a close man to god, and a devoted husband and loving father. When Lukemia claimed my twin brother at a very age though, it changed him. He got extremley angry with god, and couldn't understand why it had happened to him. It hurt my parents relationship very much, and he started going out alot more. He learned how to function normally after servral years though, and to everyone on the outside we were a happy family. <BR>Earlier this decade my aunt, my father sister, had some bad melinomas on her back. She ignored them and went for over a year before doing anything about it. By this time they had formed wounds.... to anyone familair with this cancer, that right there is all msot a death sentence. Well a few years later as was predicted, my aunt had developed melinoma tumors on her brain. It was said she had 8 months max, and this effected my father extremley heavily. <BR>My entire family fought to get her the best treatments the medical field had to offer, and some that were experimental to the U.S. By the grace of god after 5 months of treatment.... during a cat scan they couldn't find the tumors, and the doctors could come up with no scientific reason why they disappeared. To me it was clear, god had given us a miracle.<BR>During her remission she had been told to quit smoking all together and take shark cartliage which has shown successful in many european studies. My aunt, ever the stuborn one, didn't thought. She went back to her old habits and in August of 1997, over a year after she had been told she had 8 months max , 7 new tumors were discovered on her brain. The first time my father and aunt had been very focused on prayer, and I think it worked. This time though they weren't, and my father resented god for what had hapened. The best surguries money could by only prolonged her life, but also her misory. Gamma knifes and many other radiation therapys were performed, plus shock therapies... and it worked somewhat, but more tumors kept popping up.<BR>By november/december or so the tumors were starting to spread to other parts of her body. When that happens theres really not much doctors can do after that. It was in gods hand, and prayer was the only thing that could save her. Both her and my father had turned from him. THough my father was devoted to helping her to the very end, he was very angry during this period. <BR>The last time I saw her was my cousins wedding the next January. She looked diffirent, steroids has greatly disfigured her, and it was clear to me then it was er time. On febuary 9th, I remember I was watching Garth on Oprah and as it had just finished I recieved the call. It was my mother who told me she had passed on... My mother who had once had many troubles with my aunt, was the one who was there when she left this earth.<BR>My cousin, whos husband is a pastor, and had once played with my aunt Karen when she was young told me later of something that could have only been sypernatural. About the time of Karen's passing her husband and her were driving back in their Van from somewhere. She was tired and laying down in the back when it happened. She said she saw an image of Karen when she was younger, a teenager, and she just smiled at her and winked and then she was gone. I to had an experience that made me believe, it was all going to be ok for her.<BR>The months following her death though my father drastically changed. He had been a work-a-holic for wuite sometime. But it had gotten worse, and to me he made it clear he had turned his back to god. What was left of my parents marriage of over 27 years quickly felll apart. My father was constantly mad at everyone, and came in at all hours, working 7 days a week and leaving for work early. Hes own his own company for a long time, this has never been nessacary for him to do that. <BR>It all took its toll, and last julywhen my mother brought there problems up my dad blew up. My mom wanted help, my father just wanted to give up. Its put an extreme toll on the whole family my fathers turning from god. Its understandable to a point, but eventually you have to let go, you can't let resentment take up your whole life.<BR>You have to know everything happens for a reason, and the only you can pray for is god to do his will. So I can understand Garth being mad at god.... I just pray he dosen't let his dispair completely takeover his life, he has to learn to let go. I realize it hasn't even be a year yet, but you can't just put your life on hold forever because you lost someone you loved. Life dosen't wait for the living, it will move on without you. What Garth needs to concentrate on is hes still here! He didn't die when his mother did, and his family still needs him! As far as retirement, I really don't think mama Brooks would want to see him wuit things he loves just because she went on. So message is to Garth, celebrate your mothers legacy instead of mourning something that took her to a better place. When people die I think a part of us dies with them, but I also think a part them stays living within us. Carry that, cherish that, smile for them instead of crying for them. Garth is still here, he still has a life to live, and I hope eventually he can find the strength to move on!<P>May God do his will,<BR>Kate N

thedance_2000
04-01-2000, 10:25 AM
For of getting my post way to long, I decided to add this in another...<BR>My mother went through cancer years, and my family nearly lost to it. At the age of 10 years old, I had to prepare myself with the reality that I might have to go on. My brothers and sisters and I kept strong, with my mom we prayed and it actually brought us much closer to her. Her cancer was beaten, and she has been in remission for many years. A women of 5'10" she at one point was so sick she weighed all of about 115 pounds. I can't to tell how hard it was, how close she came, but with god in my heart I knew whatever the out come, I would be ok!<BR>So though I didn't lose my mother, I know all to well what he went through. It was hard.... but sometimes the best lessons come from things that are hard on us.<BR>Now I'm in my 20's and my father I can tell is starting to show signs of enphysemia(sp?[a horrible condition that I've seen many people close to my family lose, and currently have to watch my grandmother suffer through]). My father and I have had very little contact for servral years now, and its very hard to imagine a man like that ever dieing. I pray for him daily, but due to the way he ignored me as a child, and the coldness I often felt, I have a very hard conversing with him. Despite the past though, I still have love for him. I know he hasn't been close to god for quite some time, and I can only hope he finds him again. I know though, no matter what the out come, through god my family will be able to come out of this ok. You just trust god, and understand that we can't normally understand why god takes ones we love, but accept he has his reasons. With everything that has happened over the years, my mother has always stayed very close to god, and because of that has overcome many things. It takes strength, but I know somewhere Garth Brooks has that strength!!<P>Kate....<BR>N

pldrw
04-03-2000, 04:59 AM
There's Not much I have to say you all have all ready said it so well!!! But as one who has lost my mom to cancer. The only thing that will heal it is time and like the person who's mom's been dead 10 years I still get upset!! It's been 12 years for me !! One last thing I do beleive our loved ones come back in your dreams with messages for the living!! and I know Colleen will tell Garth not to retire!!! She would be hurt by him do that as much as we would !! She would never want him to do that!! She loved his fans almost as much as he did!!Maybe more!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)N

Hawk7lte
04-03-2000, 04:59 PM
There is a word "Timshel" (A Hebrew word - sorry not sure of the spelling). Basically it means "Thou Mayest". Affirmation that there is choice in the universe. Part of creation. <P>And in the prayer "Our Father" there is the phrase "Thy will be done". Which many repeat frequently until they don't like what is done....then "God" is to be blamed it seems, and then there is no acceptance - only rejection - of God and sometimes even a need to play "God".<P>We make our choices including, it seems to me, even when we die. If that is according to God's will the passing occurs. Suffering is diminished. Where's the blame? Perhaps on the one who doesn't accept the choice of others or realize that none fully comprehend the long term nature of what it means to say "God's will be done."<P>To not let go and Let God (to borrow a phrase from another field of study) suggests a need to look at what needs of ours we can't meet on our own. Some sort of dependency and anxiety preventing acceptance.<P>Is it a test of faith to accept God's will even when it isn't to our liking?<P>Hawk <P>N

AmazedByChris
04-03-2000, 09:27 PM
This existence is just a moment in infinity and what lies beyond is so wonderful - why condemn anyone to remain here? Why wish for someone to remain here among all the pain and trouble once that person's time has arrived? <P>I'm glad of the time I'm given and am grateful for every moment, but I also know what lies beyond and it's exciting and amazing. Maybe we miss people when they leave, but we'll see them again - and the time until it happens will pass as quickly as all life events do. <P>What is the purpose of being angry that someone is gone? It's a purely selfish perspective and where does it say we get - or even deserve to get - what we want? To want someone to stay here is to deny them the greatness of there. <P>As someone once said (anyone got the originator handy?) "God answers prayers. Sometimes the answer is 'no'".<P>N

splitzer
04-04-2000, 01:22 AM
I think Garth needs to be reminded of something he once said...<P><I>There's bound to be rough waters, and I know I'll take some falls, but with the good Lord as my Captain, I can make it through them all</I><P><B>Kate</B><P>Welcome to PG. I can already tell you are a wonderful addition to our PG family, and I'm glad you're here!<P>I won't tell you that I understand your situation with your father, because I've never been there, and I don't know how hard it is, but I hope you'll accept my advice all the same.<P>Get together with your father. See him, talk to him. You love him, and sooner than you think, he'll be gone. One day, tomorrow will not come. Put the past in the past, forgive him as the Lord taught you to do, and save yourself from the regret you'll feel if he passes before you have the chance.<P>God Bless You. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.<P>Garth Always,<BR>DanielleN

fuzzwuzz55
04-05-2000, 06:51 AM
To those who posted here, wondering if there is a God; we need look no further than the love we have received from Garth himself. That kind of Love has a higher source than our own. Is it ok to get mad at God? In the TV special "Trying To Rope the World" didn't Garth say he respected people who came right out and said what was really on their minds to his face? I think the Lord wants us to approach him with that kind of honesty too. He can handle anything we throw at Him if we come in faith. Garth has always been honest with us in sharing his feelings. He carries a heavy load, for US. Sometimes there is no personal happiness when you put others first. It is rather, a painful stuggle. But a necessary one. Garth's songs say it all. Have we been listening? I'm sure attempting to. Garth said you do what ya gotta do, but the struggle is worth it. But first, you gotta believe!N