PDA

View Full Version : details behind Oscars performance

honky
03-28-2000, 03:47 PM
This is the article talking about why Witney was not able to perform. Very interesting....<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><P>Houston Axed From Oscarcast, Say Sources<BR>7:51 a.m. ET (1251 GMT) March 28, 2000 By Paula Froelich <P>NEW YORK ó Pop diva Whitney Houston claims she backed out of performing at the Oscars because of a sore throat -- but sources say the singer was yanked after she flubbed her songs in rehearsal. <BR>AP <P>Houston was later replaced by Faith Hill in the Oscar medley <P>Legendary songwriter Burt Bacharach -- one of the Academy Awards' musical directors -- got so frustrated with Houston at a rehearsal, he told her to hit the road, sources say. <P>"Just leave. It's not going to work out," Bacharach told Houston, according to a source who was at the rehearsal. <P>The turn of events left Oscar organizers scrambling for a replacement -- and they called in sexy country sensation Faith Hill at the last minute. <P>Houston was originally slated to appear with Garth Brooks, Queen Latifah, Isaac Hayes and Ray Charles in a tribute medley during the live ABC broadcast. <P>But when she showed up for rehearsal on Thursday, she gave Bacharach no more than 15 minutes and was "totally out of it," a source said. <P>Her performance at the Friday rehearsal was no better. She came in on cue for one number, but missed her cue for the second and sang the wrong song, the source said. <P>That day, she seemed a bit "discombobulated," a source told the Post's Liz Smith. <P>That's when Bacharach decided to pull the plug and remove Houston from the schedule with just 48 hours to go before showtime. <P>So, on Sunday, with a worldwide audience tuned in, Hill belted out "The Way We Were" and "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." <P>Houston -- who also was a no-show at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremony earlier this month due to voice problems -- insisted she made the decision to bow out of the Oscars. <P>"Whitney Houston arrived in Los Angeles with a sore throat," a statement from her publicist said. <P>"After participating in rehearsals for the 72nd Academy Awards show both Thursday and Friday nights, she was unsure that she would be better by Sunday. She therefore regretfully withdrew from the performance." <P>A spokeswoman for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences said Houston "had a hard time singing because of her throat. She was upset about the whole thing and didn't want to leave." <P>The shuffling didn't sit well with Brooks -- who was supposed to be the only country act in the medley and "was literally in tears" after Hill was added, one source said. <P>Brooks' rep said his pique was apparently misinterpreted. <P>"When Garth learned that Whitney Houston was being replaced, his concern was out of respect for Whitney and her feelings because he's known her for a long time -- not over who her replacement would be," said Karen Byrd at Capitol Records Nashville. <P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>This is quite funny I don't think Garth would get mad or even cried because Faith was added...LOL But personally I hope that Garth was the only country artist... (don't hate me for saying this)<P><BR>Tommy<P>N

polly_wants_a_cracker
03-28-2000, 04:10 PM
Well I sure hope Garth didn't get pouty over the fact that he was not going to be the only country singer there. I think that woud be very immature to want to be the only Country singer or whatever. From what I heard on Inside Edition, Houston did not know the song she was singing or the lines during rehearsals and did not seem her best so was let go, Oscars need their stars to be their best not half ass so if that was the case and she had no clue as t what song to do or atleast didn't know the lines then I have to respect the Oscars decision on letting her go, maybe she had some of that marijuana they found on her in Hawaii and was smoking it back stage or something and was high during rehearsals????N

honky
03-28-2000, 04:34 PM
Witney is on drugs? :o Is it true?<P>Yeah, I too think that the source is not right about Garth had tears over Oscars' last minute descision...<P><BR>TommyN

hugeGBnutt
03-28-2000, 04:38 PM
[quote]"When Garth learned that Whitney Houston was being replaced, his concern was out of respect for Whitney and her feelings because he's known her for a long time -- not over who her replacement would be," said Karen Byrd at Capitol Records Nashville.[/qoute] <P>cool, i didn't know that Garth and Whitney are long time friends! :D ......i think they could have chosen a better replacement then Faith Hill, i mean like a better known singer, i mean for a huge show like "The Oscars" they would want the biggest stars they could find, maybe she was their last option, i just seems kinda weird to me :o<P>aRi <P>N

hugeGBnutt
03-28-2000, 04:43 PM
oh yeah i think the 1st suggestion that Garth was upset over Faith Hill being added is stupid, the 2nd on seems more realistic espically if Whitney and Garth are friends, and i think the tears thing is alittle exaggerated.....<P>aRiN

LittleRhody
03-28-2000, 04:43 PM
I agree, I don't think it behooves Garth to be upset that another country act was brought in to replace Whitney. He actually should be proud that they selected another one. In my opinion it only makes country music look that much better. I really don't see Garth acting this childish.<P>As for Ms. Houston, anyone who has remotely followed her can attest to the fact that her backing out of a performance last minute is nothing new. I have seen Whitney in concert, it was best that she was replaced. I'm sorry but Minnie Mouse would have done a better job. <BR>This is just my opinion-I mean no disrespect to Whiteny Houston fans.<P>DianaN

Snow
03-28-2000, 04:44 PM
Yeah... I heard the story as well. Howard Stern blabbed it on his radio show this morning.<P>When they first said that it was that Garth was crying because he was worried about Whitney... Stern said something like... "What is with this guy? Is he a girl? I'm starting to wonder about him." Then they went on to to repeat some rumor that Garth is going to work on a project with George Michaels and then he really starting laughing that maybe.... well... you can guess.<P>When Robin (his assistant) told Howard that the other story was that Garth was just upset about not being the only country singer to perform... he called Garth a DI*KHEAD and started making twangy imitations.<P>They ended up saying that Garth had said that his remarks and reaction had been exaggerated... but Howard of course kept making fun.<P>NO use writing or calling to complain though... Howard just eats up that kind of attention.N

hugeGBnutt
03-28-2000, 04:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Witney is on drugs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Tommy,<P>Yeah, Whitney was found with pot a few weeks (???) ago, maybe that was another one of Garth's concerns<P>aRiN

hugeGBnutt
03-28-2000, 04:52 PM
forget about LOSER Howard Stern he will made fun of anyone, or anything.....i swear, the guy has no conscience....i doubt there is not one person he has not made fun of, plus Howard is probably still mad that Garth tunned him down back in 1995 when Howard asked Garth to appear on his "Birthday Bash" plus Howard has made fun of Sandy<P>aRiN

loreli
I'm really sure Garth would cry at that. What a ridiculous story.<P>LoriN

changer
If the situation was even remotely as bad as it was described, it must have been excrutiating to sit there and listen to her mess up. That has to be hard for another performer to witness. <P>I would imagine that anyone would have been uncomfortable, and if Garth really does know her as a friend, I bet he was indeed very upset.<P>Sounds like a bummer time... But quite a lucky break for a relative newcomer like Faith Hill to be included with all of those icons of the music world. I think she did great.<P>changerN

Snow
03-28-2000, 04:58 PM
aRi... yeah I know... but I was really kind of surprised that Howard didn't go on and on about it... they just did that little bit... and he did get as bad as he sometimes does. He actually had that tone in his voice like he didn't really hate Garth. Hmmmm... WOW... I didn't know that he had wanted Garth on his birthday bash once... hmmm.... maybe Howard is really a closet Garth fan and was just hurt. *HAHAHAHAHA*<P>Hmmmm... maybe Howard is even a closet PGer... he's home alone all the time in his apartment now that he's divorced. Hey HOWARD... you out there? If ya are... that was not nice to call Garth names! *shaking her finger*N

honky
03-28-2000, 05:42 PM
Hahahhaa.... snow you are funny!<P>Umm... it is quite strange how the whole situation got out :o I mean, come on, who would care if it was Faith or Witney? And besides, why would stations saying things about Garth's emotion after hearing Witney was replaced by Faith? <P>The whole thing is quite strange.. the Oscars is over now... <P><BR>Oh.. by the way, Garth and Witney both performed at Sports Illustrate Century Awards :) <P><BR>TommyN

psa
03-28-2000, 05:49 PM
I just think that the reporters anymore are<BR>happy unless they can find something to<BR>pick on garth about I think it is the kind<BR>of person garth is you know his big heart<BR>and if he and witney have known each other<BR>for years I could see him alittle upset over<BR>worrying about her feelings.N

GRTH FAN
03-28-2000, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure why the media has to try to find ways to make someone look bad! I don't believe it unless I hear it from the man himself!! They'll do anything to make a buck!! <BR>DonnaN

Pilgrim
03-28-2000, 08:55 PM
I think it was VERY cool they kicked Whitney out of the Oscars :D :D :D<P>You can't have "drug addict" to sing at the Oscars :)<P>Since she married that jerk Bobby Brown there have been nothing but problems with her.<P>Faith Hill was a GREAT replacement :)<P>And as a bonus she both sings and look better than Whitney :D :D :D<P>I don't believe Garth was in tears because of Faith was added, bit IF he was, then he need profesionally help :)<P>BrianN

Garth2Gaines
03-29-2000, 03:57 AM
Faith Hill is NOT a threat to Garth, so why would he get jealous? That story is totally full of everything BUT truth...<P><BR>dwayneN

roger
03-29-2000, 06:26 AM
It IS hard to believe Garth would cry over Whitney being dumped and replaced by Faith . . . but if you read the newspapers it even quotes his publicist Karen Byrd as saying he was upset because of his friend Whitney's problems. Byrd never says he didn't cry, so we have to assume he did. <BR>The real question is WHY?<BR>Did he want his girlfriend Trisha to do it instead? Or was he just upset that another country star -- one that's a hell of a lot better looking than him -- was going to steal a little of his thunder? <BR>I love his music too, but c'mon -- is this guy losing it or what????N

TheChange
03-29-2000, 07:01 AM
I've been reading these posts and as far as I see it....there is no reason to bring Faith Hill or any replacement into the picture. It was stated<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>"When Garth learned that Whitney Houston was being replaced, his concern was out of respect for Whitney and her feelings because he's known her for a long time -- not over who her replacement would be," said Karen Byrd at Capitol Records Nashville.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>My take on this whole issue is that .....Whitney's replacement is moot point as Garth was simply being empathetic to Whitney's situation. I don't get it.....what's to discuss!<P>Peace,<BR>Vida :)<P>N

boppityboo
03-29-2000, 07:04 AM
Listen, Rog, can I call ya Rog? Seeing as you are a new member, I think you should read the guidelines before you start typing and think before you type too while you're at it. Your first paragraph was fine, but you stepped over the line with your next statement. I'm not a moderator here, but I feel I must warn you that topics about Garth and Trisha are off limits as rumors and lies are not tolerated here. PERIOD.<BR>Plus... Garth has absolutely no worries about someone being better looking or better singing than him. If you are a fan of his music, then perhaps you should try being a fan of the man himself. <BR>Do yourself a favor, don't post rumors and lies, its not nice. :) <P>Have a Garthriffic day,<BR>Ellie :)<P><BR>P.S. This post has been severely edited by myself before I hit send... lol.N

Anonymous
03-29-2000, 07:07 AM
Garth was the only country artist there. Faith Hill wasn't there based on the success of "It Matters To Me" she was there because of "This Kiss". Believe me when they asked Faith to join they were not asking another country artist. They were asking a one hit pop wonder. I think Garth was crying because of what was happening with Whitney Houston, not because Faith was joining the line up (although, that is worth crying over).N

MelMalovesGB4eva
03-29-2000, 07:15 AM
Howard Stern has a nerve calling Garth "Girlie" with that long hair of his. <P>There is no doubt Whitney is an addict. I remember on one awards show sweat was just pouring off of her. It was disgusting. Garth sang on the same show and barely cracked a sweat and we all know he can sweat. <P>Did anyone hear about Garth ripping his pants on the Oscars before his performance. :) <BR>Someone told me they heard on the radio that he did and they were held together with duct tape. Wonder where they were ripped. ;)N

Pilgrim
03-29-2000, 10:50 AM
*ROFL* Ellie :D :D<P>That was too funny :) It's a long time since I have laughed that much :D :D :D :D<P>I still don't think Garth was crying, and IF he was it was definitely tears of joy due to Whitney was kicked out :D<P>BrianN

Fresh_Horses
03-29-2000, 11:54 AM
You people are just toooo funny!!!! What a bunch of sillies you are! N

wmcinnis
03-29-2000, 02:56 PM
I also find this very hard to believe :o<BR>But then again, if Garth and Whitney are good friends and if she does have a problem, be it drugs or whatever, it was probably very hard for Garth to watch this :( We all know how emotional Garth can be, right?<BR>-Susan-N

garthaddict
03-29-2000, 03:22 PM
Snow, I just wanted to tell you about the rumor that Howard Stern was talking about Garth and George Michael doing a project is not a rumor it is true.They are singing George's song "Freedom" on April 29 at the Equality Concert in Washington.Just thought you might want to know.What did Howard say about Sandy?He really has some nerve talking bad about anyone.I mean has he taken a good look in the mirror lately?He has got to be the ugliest man alive.N

Pilgrim
03-29-2000, 07:17 PM
WOW<P><B>Freedom</B>??<BR>It's going to be cool to hear him sing that :D :D :D<P>That song is soooo cool :D :D :D<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>FREEDOM '90</B><P><BR>I wonít let you down<BR>I will not give you up<BR>Gotta have some faith in the sound<BR>Itís the one good thing that Iíve got<BR>I wonít let you down<BR>So please donít give me up<BR>ĎCause I would really, really love to stick around (oh, yeah)<P>Heaven knows I was just a young boy<BR>Didnít know what I wanted to be<BR>(Didnít know what I wanted to be)<BR>I was every little hungry schoolgirls pride and joy<BR>And I guess it was enough for me<BR>(I say I guess it was enough for me)<BR>To win a race? A prettier face!<BR>Brand new clothes and a big fat place<BR>On your rock and roll TV<BR>But today I play the game is not the same<BR>No way<BR>Think Iím gonna get me some happy<P>I think thereís something you should know<BR>I think itís time I told you so<BR>Thereís something deep inside of me<BR>Thereís someone Iíve got to be<BR>Take back your picture in a frame<BR>Take back your singing in the rain<BR>And I just hope you understand<BR>Sometimes the clothes donít make a man<P>CHORUS:<BR>All we have to do now<BR>Is take these lies and make them true somehow<BR>All we have to see<BR>Is that I donít belong to you<BR>And you donít belong to me<P>(Freedom)<BR>I wonít let you down<BR>(Freedom)<BR>I will not give you up<BR>(Freedom)<BR>Gotta have some faith in the sound<BR>(Youíve gotta give for what you take)<BR>Itís the one good thing that Iíve got<BR>(Freedom)<BR>I wonít let you down<BR>(Freedom)<BR>So please donít give me up<BR>(Freedom)<BR>ĎCause I would really, really love to stick around<BR>(Youíve gotta give for what you take)<P>Heaven knows we sure had some fun boy<BR>What a kick just a buddy and me<BR>We had every big-shot goodtime band<BR>On the run boy<BR>We were living in a fantasy<BR>We won the race got out of the place<BR>I went back home got a brand new face<BR>For the boys on the MTV<BR>But today the way I play the game has got to change<BR>Oh yeah (Oh yeah)<BR>Now Iím gonna get myself happy<P>I think thereís something you should know<BR>I think I start to show<BR>Thereís something deep inside of me<BR>Thereís someone I forgot to be<BR>Take back your picture in a frame<BR>Donít think that Iíll be back again<BR>And I just hope you understand<BR>Sometimes the clothes do not make a man<P>(Yeah, Yeah)<P>REPEAT CHORUS<P>Well it looks like the road to heaven<BR>But it feels like the road to hell<BR>When I knew which side my bread was buttered<BR>I took the knife as well<BR>Posing for another picture<BR>Everybodyís got to sell<BR>But when you shake your ass<BR>They notice fast<BR>And some mistakes were build to last<P>Thatís what you get<BR>I say thatís what you get<P>And after all this time<BR>I just hope you understand<BR>Sometimes the clothes<BR>Do not make the man<P>REPEAT CHORUS<P>May not be what you want from me<BR>Just the way itís got to be<BR>I loose the face now...(fade)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brian :D :D :DN

pldrw
03-30-2000, 03:41 AM
Neil Haislop's Nashville Update<BR> Checkin' in with the top stars<P>GARTH NOT MAD ABOUT FAITH'S OSCAR APPEARANCE<BR>There was a report that Garth Brooks wasn't happy about Faith Hill's emergency fill-in appearance Sunday on the Oscar's Telecast when she stood in for Whitney Houston. Newspapers in New York City stated that Houston's absence came about when Burt Bacharach yanked her from the show because she wasn't doing well in rehearsals. Another source said Brooks was angered by the incident and interpreted it as his being bugged that he was no longer the only country artist on the show. Capitol spokesperson, Karen Byrd, said, "When Garth learned that Whitney Houston was being replaced, his concern was out of respect for Whitney and her feelings because he's known her for a long time. It was not over who her replacement would be." That makes more sense because it's certainly doubtful that Brooks would object to another country presence on the show, plus he gets points for wearing his trademark cowboy hat as well<BR> <BR>END OF THIS !!!! :) :)N

Pilgrim
03-30-2000, 04:29 AM
Very cool :D :D<P>Thanks for sharing :)<P>BrianN