11-14-2019, 12:03 AM
Eric Church has to be pissed! Lol

Garthmedic
11-14-2019, 12:04 AM
HA! Yep:)

Brett Dale
11-14-2019, 12:06 AM
HOLY COW!!!

We dont get the show on tv here, but ive been following on twitter, that must be a upset right!!!

WELL DONE GARTH!!!!

randa16
11-14-2019, 12:23 AM
WOW!!!!! How awesome is that for Garth.

I am shocked Eric church did not take a swing at him. Love it knowing that cry baby did not get it

Skywise
11-14-2019, 12:32 AM
Wtg garth!!!!

Brett Dale
11-14-2019, 12:38 AM
The carrie underwood fans are going off on twitter.

Ther eric church fans are pissed.

Garth sold out 12 huge stadiums this year, played dive bars, did a ton of charity work, as we know did Inside Studio G. Hes always been respectful and represents country well,
he deserves this.

A lot of comments are coming out that he shouldve mention Carrie in his acceptance speech. I dont
thats a big deal myself.

Good on him, man inside Studio G is going to be good next week.

Brett Dale
11-14-2019, 12:41 AM
Garth's trending on twitter now.

Shellie
11-14-2019, 12:57 AM
Congrats to Garth.

I am not surprised the Carrie fans are going off on twitter. They go off on everyone. In the past they went off on Miranda for her FVOY wins. They went off on Faith Hill in the last year over something I was not really sure what they are ranting about. What really took the cake for me was the day it was announced Carrie had her second baby, it was also announced one of the Pistol Annie's baby had been born too. Boy some of them took to social media and attacked the Pistol Annie's member telling her it was Carrie's day and no one cared about her baby. I can not believe they behave the way they do. In fact, I was a huge Carrie fan but her fans have turned me off on even enjoying her music.

wimpy77
11-14-2019, 01:15 AM
Twitter is the cesspool of the internet.

ElectricOutcast
11-14-2019, 09:12 AM
Had lost a fellow political colleague to the Twitter angry machine (non-Garth reasons) because she kept adopting this "my way or the highway" attitude that not only frustrated me but also people WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HER ALLIES! So one night I got frustrated with her, after she called me hateful, so I called her out for being a *****...didn't end well.

So yes, Twitter is now a cesspool and I've been toying with the idea of just shutting mine down, because I don't even use it anymore.

Anyway, I'm almost sad that I missed Garth winning, but if they had left Old Town Road out of the show I would've watched it. I feel sorry for you guys that like that song, but it never belonged to Country Radio nor did it deserve an award, I do not give a shit if Billy Ray Cyrus was on it. Old Town Road, does not belong to Country Music.

Skywise
11-14-2019, 09:33 AM
Had lost a fellow political colleague to the Twitter angry machine (non-Garth reasons) because she kept adopting this "my way or the highway" attitude that not only frustrated me but also people WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HER ALLIES! So one night I got frustrated with her, after she called me hateful, so I called her out for being a *****...didn't end well.

So yes, Twitter is now a cesspool and I've been toying with the idea of just shutting mine down, because I don't even use it anymore.

Anyway, I'm almost sad that I missed Garth winning, but if they had left Old Town Road out of the show I would've watched it. I feel sorry for you guys that like that song, but it never belonged to Country Radio nor did it deserve an award, I do not give a shit if Billy Ray Cyrus was on it. Old Town Road, does not belong to Country Music.

I watched the awards last night (haven't done that in a while).. They never played the song that I remember- vocal event was announced as an award 'awarded earlier in the evening'.. they showed billy ray and Nas several times during night (Nas looked positively uncomfortable) but that was about it

Steven75407
11-14-2019, 10:44 AM
I was actually pulling for Carrie myself, but Garth got it. I liked what he told Luke Combs. I would add Thomas Rhett to that list, if they nominated him. All the Garth haters are probably people who have not followed his career for as long as most of us (no offense to any new fans). I have a Twitter account but very seldom use it. Garth raised the bar extremely high for everyone in country music and I personally think every artist in Nashville today owes him credit for what he's done.

garthcop
11-14-2019, 10:44 AM
I didn't think he would get it at first. But when they showed a clip of him at the Arizona concert when announcing him as a nominee, it was obvious that those were spiritual experiences that people are experiencing. On top of that, he's entertaining nearly 100K people at once in some of the locations. It was a no brainer. I bet the committee thought so too.

gbkubfan
11-14-2019, 11:04 AM
https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/8543589/garth-brooks-luke-combs-record-setters-2019-cma-awards

Kegoodman88
11-14-2019, 11:05 PM
Im not a fan of Old Town Road either but it seems as if you also have a “my way or the highway” attitude.

Garthfan92
11-15-2019, 01:00 AM
It's amazing the # of people going "What has Garth done recently?" or even "I thought he was still retired." They can't believe he won in large part because they aren't paying attention to what he's doing. It just blows my mind!

Emerald Isle
11-15-2019, 01:38 AM
It's amazing the # of people going "What has Garth done recently?" or even "I thought he was still retired." They can't believe he won in large part because they aren't paying attention to what he's doing. It just blows my mind!

Well, in fairness, it's not like he's been a radio staple since the comeback. Even Ask Me How I Know, which supposedly went #1, I almost never heard on the radio. He's not on Apple Music, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube, or anywhere else that the average music listener actually listens to music nowadays. The Ultimate Collection was only sold at Target... and only on CD... a dying format. His "latest" album went up for pre-order at just one single retailer a year and a half ago, and STILL hasn't been released. Legacy by all accounts has done well, but it's all older material and is being sold on an even more niche format than CDs.

Sure, his tours have been hugely successful, but even Garth himself has all but admitted that they're basically nostalgia shows where he'll mostly only play "the old stuff." And yes, the Dive Bar video has had an enormous number of views, but again, since it's not on Youtube, so it's probably still going mostly unnoticed by the general public.

So while we here know that Garth has had a LOT going on the past year... I can totally see where the average younger country music listener might legitimately ask, "what has Garth done lately to justify winning EOY?" Especially when compared to radio, YouTube, streaming, and touring giants like Carrie, Keith, and Miranda.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he won, but it doesn't feel quite as deserved as his previous wins.

gbkubfan
11-15-2019, 05:45 AM
Good points Emerald. But...you knew a but was coming...lol The average music fan isn't voting. Its the people who work the business and see everything we, the average music lover, don't see. The purpose of the CMA's is to promote those who are trying to Sell country music to the masses and reward them for it. Despite our dislike of the constant repackaging of his catalog, it does sell on some level and the radio stations play his catalog. So I think he fit the guidelines for CMA "rules" and deserved the win. I had friends who went to Carrie's concert and it wasn't sold out. Who is to know if others were the same way. You really didn't hear much of her unless you were in the stops she was playing. And unless you were midwest or back east I don't think Eric Church was big thing. Yes West Coast bias. So yeah Garth hasn't done anything but release so-so singles, do big stadium tours, small dive bar tours but I think he is still selling catalog and that is what makes money for the country music business and they don't want to kill the golden calf. Country is just starting to make a mark on streaming and the usual country album debuts with 30-50 thousand (unless you are Taylor Swift and she ain't country anymore). Luke Combs is selling but he is only around 3 million after a year or so. Garth will probably fall behing the cowd if he doesn't get this streaming thing handled. He is old school and that is ok. It sells catalog just like Beatles and Elvis and Eagles.....

rhd13
11-15-2019, 10:03 AM
I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I am right there with Emerald. We, as big Garth fans, know what he has got going on, but I don't think it is always as far reaching as we think.

Not only do you have all the things Emerald listed, but I just wanted to add a few things. There have been years when the Entertainer of the Year has had 4 #1 singles. Garth hasn't had a Top 10 hit since 2017. You have years where the Entertainer of the Year has multiple albums on the country charts. Garth hasn't released a studio album of NEW material since 2016. From a purely objective place I think you can make a very strong argument he shouldn't even have been nominated much less won. Again, I know that is a very unpopular opinion here, but the reason people are upset is not a crazy one. Garth has been awarded twice, in 2016 and 2017, for his touring prowess since the comeback. He's only done around a dozen of so shows (that one could buy tickets to) in 2019. When you couple that with his lack of output of new music I get the rage.

I think in the long run the 7th EOTY trophy helps his legacy. However, in the short run I think it hurts. The CMA tried to put this show together to celebrate women and prove that they are turning a page in the industry. In the end, the same ol' guy won to many of them. His win, for many, is a representation of the problem in country music. Even though I don't think Garth did anything wrong. He just did his job. However, we all know people aren't reasonable especially in this social media/spew venom world we live in.

I have mixed feelings. I'm happy for Garth. He's arguably the GOAT and definitely the greatest of the past 30 years. I love anytime he gets recognized for all he has done for the format. On the flip side, the objective part of me TOTALLY GETS why people are so upset.

One final point, I do understand that the industry votes and it isn't the general fan. I used to work with people who were voters. However, the CMA voters are notorious for sticking with the status quo and taking forever to award someone new and different. Sometimes it is the fans who are actually more in touch with the pulse of what is happening more than the voters themselves. I think that is the case here.

rhd13
11-15-2019, 10:17 AM
I meant to put this in my post above and forgot. When it comes to the CMAs and who I think should win I usually try to play the objective game. I know the acts I personally want to win, but I try to play out who I honestly think is most deserving. One thing I always do is look at the year end Billboard charts, which should be coming in about 2 weeks. The Entertainer of the Year nominees should be people that end up in the top 5-10 of all the different categories and charts that Billboard publishes. In other words, any way you twist it or measure it that person should have made a solid impact in that area. When those charts come out will Garth be in the top 10 of any of those year end charts? I sincerely doubt he will be in the Top 5-10 of a single one, much less all of them. That to me says an awful lot about why there is so much screaming and yelling about this win. The numbers, with the one exception of his 12 stadium shows, don't support the win.

I'm not anti-Garth. I'm not a troll trying to stir things up. I just simply saying that I totally understand why. There is a legit argument against this win.

garthcop
11-15-2019, 12:25 PM
I meant to put this in my post above and forgot. When it comes to the CMAs and who I think should win I usually try to play the objective game. I know the acts I personally want to win, but I try to play out who I honestly think is most deserving. One thing I always do is look at the year end Billboard charts, which should be coming in about 2 weeks. The Entertainer of the Year nominees should be people that end up in the top 5-10 of all the different categories and charts that Billboard publishes. In other words, any way you twist it or measure it that person should have made a solid impact in that area. When those charts come out will Garth be in the top 10 of any of those year end charts? I sincerely doubt he will be in the Top 5-10 of a single one, much less all of them. That to me says an awful lot about why there is so much screaming and yelling about this win. The numbers, with the one exception of his 12 stadium shows, don't support the win.

I'm not anti-Garth. I'm not a troll trying to stir things up. I just simply saying that I totally understand why. There is a legit argument against this win.

Good points!

Skywise
11-15-2019, 12:29 PM
great points on both posts, Ryan.. I gotta say

randa16
11-15-2019, 01:57 PM
To me entertainer of the year is 2 things. One it is the guy who is on the road and sells tickets and brings attention to country music and 2 itís the guy who just is on fire that year with singles and buzz.
Garth did huge shows this year and had a tv special. He also has done the dive bar tour and got a lot of attention for that. I have no problem with him winning the award.

Btw if I am giving it to the hottest artist itís luke combs all day

Emerald Isle
11-15-2019, 02:20 PM
Btw if I am giving it to the hottest artist it’s luke combs all day

Haha!!

ElectricOutcast
11-15-2019, 03:44 PM
To be honest with you guys, with all the crap that's been thrown around this past week and even this past year, I'm leaning towards making a life-altering decision that goes against my normal character. For the record, I'm not gonna leave the Garth fandom, but I have reached a point where I'm just tired of being the Hamlet of Country Music.

Skywise
11-15-2019, 04:01 PM
the Hamlet of Country Music? I gotta ask, explain??

garthcop
11-15-2019, 04:33 PM
To be honest with you guys, with all the crap that's been thrown around this past week and even this past year, I'm leaning towards making a life-altering decision that goes against my normal character. For the record, I'm not gonna leave the Garth fandom, but I have reached a point where I'm just tired of being the Hamlet of Country Music.

I've read the things you have been brave enough to share with us in the past on here. But, maybe you just need to step back and take a break from it all. Garth is an artist we all love. But we can't let anyone influence us to extreme frustration like that. At least not a celebrity.

ElectricOutcast
11-15-2019, 04:51 PM
the Hamlet of Country Music? I gotta ask, explain??

I think you know why, I'm just tired of being the only one that cares about lyrics over beer commercial jingles, which is why I've been toying with moving to Heavy Metal full time and only keeping my country music to my trinity singers: Brooks, Strait, Yearwood (90's Trinity) and my 2000's Trinity (Jack Ingram, Wade Bowen, Sarah Darling).

Skywise
11-15-2019, 07:31 PM
I think you know why, I'm just tired of being the only one that cares about lyrics over beer commercial jingles, which is why I've been toying with moving to Heavy Metal full time and only keeping my country music to my trinity singers: Brooks, Strait, Yearwood (90's Trinity) and my 2000's Trinity (Jack Ingram, Wade Bowen, Sarah Darling).

Gotcha... I was thinking as much at least as far as motives but it was good to hear it voiced. I assume you're thinking more like 'country radio'... I'm not a huge metal fan myself other than KISS and a select few songs by other groups (and some Metallica, etc..). but I hear what you're saying..

I'm still searching for a great reason to dive back in full time with country radio and frankly there hasn't been any.. Garth doesn't get played.. in the last hour on KYGO (local main station) there have been 3 songs played that I'd be interested in listening to and two of those 3 are just because the awards show on Wed and garth having him open for the TN show this week.. I'd say have faith though, things will change.. notice no Aldean, Luke Bryan Tim McGraw (pers. dislike of his music largely) or Chesney.. some others.. not this week at the awards... Hang in there but......

maybe it's like garthcop says- step back and take a break.. you have shared a lot of great stuff here... don't wanna lose that..

btw- if you want a laugh, and some sugar coated positive garth stuff (almost ad nauseam). then hit up some of the Facebook groups on garth (Garth brooks world tour, etc..) man... it is almost humorous sometimes...

had to say it

ElectricOutcast
11-15-2019, 08:05 PM
btw- if you want a laugh, and some sugar coated positive garth stuff (almost ad nauseam). then hit up some of the Facebook groups on garth (Garth brooks world tour, etc..) man... it is almost humorous sometimes...

had to say it

Yeah I don't think they'd be able to handle my anti-Bro Country mouth, and besides I'd be more happy just hanging with the MetalJesusRocks crew on Discord, they're a more tight-knit musical family as opposed to some country music circles (present company excluded). Hell try this for funny, MJR back in 98 or may have been later, actually saw a Broadway play called Cabaret in NYC. Now I chuckled but I didn't judge him for it, because I wanted to see another Broadway musical that never saw the light of day...Batman and it was originally going to be written by Jim Steinman (Meat Loaf: Bat out of Hell).

wimpy77
11-15-2019, 08:43 PM
I can't tell you the last time I listened to country radio, it's just no my cup of tea. If we're all going to be honest, the "popping" or it bringing in rock elements started with a certain that we all love :) I remember in the 90's people though Garth was bastardizing country music. I remember Waylon, Willie and Hank Jr. having a fit.

Brett Dale
11-16-2019, 08:11 PM
from savingcountrymusic.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/garth-brooks-carrie-underwood-the-cma-entertainer-of-the-year/

wimpy77
11-17-2019, 02:17 AM
EOY to me has always been a touring award.

Brett Dale
11-17-2019, 04:37 AM
Boy the Carrie fans arent letting this go on social media.

fences2312
11-17-2019, 12:48 PM
From the CMA site, this is the definition of the EOY Award : ďThis Award goes to the artist. The Award is for the act displaying the greatest competence in all aspects of the entertainment field. Voter should give consideration not only to recorded performance, but also to the in-person performance, staging, public acceptance, attitude, leadership, and overall contribution to the Country Music image.Ē

Garth knows how to win this award. Itís not just touring, although it is a huge part of it now just as the SavingCountry article stated, itís everything Garth packages with it. Think about it, no other artist has the weekly show, think of the staging of his concerts, podcast interviews, the Dive Bar tour keeps in in the ďsmallerĒ markets, Garth Channel on Sirius, The Jimmy Carter Foundation, Ellen, Good Morning America, Dive Bar video with 25 million views and probably more that I canít think of off the top of my head...if you think about it, this dude is and was everywhere.

AND I didnít mention the constant teasing of FUN, LEGACY or the rest of the ANTHOLOGY. Some of you may see vinyl as a niche but the fact the his vinyl is moving so much is no little feat and it will factor into next yearís nominations as well. Garth doesnít need to release music to win this award, he knows it. The promise of an album and the releases of a single every three months keeps him eligible in the category which I think is Garthís sole purpose right now. Win as many as these as he can and further cement his legacy. Itís feasible he could win two more of these before the CMAís decide to make him ineligible. :p

I think Garth knows the definition of this award by heart and gears everything around winning it. Carrie fans can be pissed, but there is no other artist on this guyís level. Itís gonna he hard NOT to give it to him next year because the stadiums will still be going. Heíll do a Dive-Bar 2.0, FUN will see him everywhere again as will Legacy 2 and the A&E doc will most likely play numerous times in the year racking up huge ratings each time.

In my opinion, the whole comeback has been geared towards winning these awards. Heís won the last three out of four. I think he figured it out when he won it in Ď98 based solely off the World Tour and the mold was cemented with last yearís win. When you look how things are laid out, he hits every point of that CMA paragraph every year. I see why Carrie fans are pissed but I just donít see how the CMAís could have not given it to Garth.

wimpy77
11-17-2019, 01:25 PM
Boy the Carrie fans arent letting this go on social media.

Social media isn't a good gauge for anything. You're better off not paying attention to it. It's just the silent minority who like to complain when things don't go the way they want it to.

Skywise
11-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Social media isn't a good gauge for anything. You're better off not paying attention to it. It's just the silent minority who like to complain when things don't go the way they want it to.

well said!

Lowland_Kid
11-18-2019, 11:18 AM
I am happy for Garth. :)

Brett Dale
11-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Saving country music's piece on Erich Church Jab at Garth.

https://www.savingcountrymusic.com/eric-church-takes-jab-at-garth-brooks-amid-cma-awards-fallout/#comments

Skywise
11-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Y'all do realize that if we harp on it in our own ways (and at least one of us (at least with a name I recognized in the comments of one article) we're giving it (and. Church or any other group of people) their 'moment in the sun' as it were? lending credence to the story.... let it lie honestly IMO- It's not worth retting riled up over. If you like Garth you like Garth- if you like Church you like Church- if one's a tool one's a tool. if one's a dinosaur one's a dinosaur. there are reasons that support both sides (at least to their fans)...

kinda does show though that there's def. a bit of an anti garth 'bias' or 'wave' or 'segment' of the country music fandom.. maybe he'll be a bit more open to adapting after the backlash.. (ehh who are we kidding- of course he won't.. ;) )

Brett Dale
11-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Y'all do realize that if we harp on it in our own ways (and at least one of us (at least with a name I recognized in the comments of one article) we're giving it (and. Church or any other group of people) their 'moment in the sun' as it were? lending credence to the story.... let it lie honestly IMO- It's not worth retting riled up over. If you like Garth you like Garth- if you like Church you like Church- if one's a tool one's a tool. if one's a dinosaur one's a dinosaur. there are reasons that support both sides (at least to their fans)...

kinda does show though that there's def. a bit of an anti garth 'bias' or 'wave' or 'segment' of the country music fandom.. maybe he'll be a bit more open to adapting after the backlash.. (ehh who are we kidding- of course he won't.. ;) )

Of course that one of us is myself.

Im of the mindset, that you get to have your say.

At the school I went to there was this kid who was over weight and he was bullied thru the school year, the teacher we had was useless, (he spent a lot of his time hitting
on one female student) now his reaction to the bully was to make the bully the center of attention, so we all got to hear the bully's stories all day, every day (I guess the
teacher thought he was diverting attention away from the bully's attention) but it didnt work.

Other students went up to the bully, but he wouldnt stop.

Every day , he would pull this kids chair out, among other things.

Near the end of the year, the over weight kid, the one that was bullied had enough, he grabbed his school bag
and whacked the bully in the face.

Our teacher then decided, this was the time to send them both to the principal.

The bully never bullied that kid again.

My point is sometimes you have to fight back/react.

wimpy77
11-18-2019, 06:29 PM
Brett you need to understand this is not a serious situation. Just learn to let things go. I highly doubt he cares what Eric Church think so why should you?

Brett Dale
11-18-2019, 06:51 PM
Brett you need to understand this is not a serious situation. Just learn to let things go. I highly doubt he cares what Eric Church think so why should you?

That may be true, maybe its a cultural thing, I know its not a serious situation, but in NewZealand, if someone is a dick, we say something.

Skywise
11-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Of course that one of us is myself.

Im of the mindset, that you get to have your say. Well I wasn't referring to you specifically, Brett, there are multiple people on PG and in the garth fandom ;) but yes you were one who I recognized..

At the school I went to there was this kid who was over weight and he was bullied thru the school year, the teacher we had was useless, (he spent a lot of his time hitting
on one female student) now his reaction to the bully was to make the bully the center of attention, so we all got to hear the bully's stories all day, every day (I guess the
teacher thought he was diverting attention away from the bully's attention) but it didnt work.

Other students went up to the bully, but he wouldnt stop.

Every day , he would pull this kids chair out, among other things.

Near the end of the year, the over weight kid, the one that was bullied had enough, he grabbed his school bag
and whacked the bully in the face.

Our teacher then decided, this was the time to send them both to the principal.

The bully never bullied that kid again.

My point is sometimes you have to fight back/react.

You do have to fight back sometimes- That I'd agree with -(and if I'd done as a 7th grader I'd not have been tormented the entire year- OR, I'd have beat the crap out of someone- wasn't and still am not into fighting though).. however.. This is far from bullying.... This is 2 times (that we have 'documented' of one person whining about someone else, or trying to play to their fans who may have the same feelings about him. His (Eric Church's) grapes are extremely sour... But it's really not THAT big of a deal in the end.. Garth would be far better off to just ignore the troll and let him continue to chase Garth's level of success

Skywise
11-18-2019, 07:55 PM
That may be true, maybe its a cultural thing, I know its not a serious situation, but in NewZealand, if someone is a dick, we say something.
Have you seen the attitudes of some in America? be they right OR left .. there are some who def. follow that sentiment (If someone is a d@@@ they say something)... for that matter, have you ever watched people on the road here? that def. happens. it's NOT a cultural thing..

There ARE some who would like to have a world where everyone plays nice with each other and there is never any conflict and everyone gets to play and win and get ribbons etc... but that isn't realism.... not in our world

Brett Dale
11-18-2019, 08:03 PM
Have you seen the attitudes of some in America? be they right OR left .. there are some who def. follow that sentiment (If someone is a d@@@ they say something)... for that matter, have you ever watched people on the road here? that def. happens. it's NOT a cultural thing..

There ARE some who would like to have a world where everyone plays nice with each other and there is never any conflict and everyone gets to play and win and get ribbons etc... but that isn't realism.... not in our world

I guess its the same all over the world!